Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This HAS to be said ... Draft Day One (Now Two) M.E.T.

SkinsNoles21

I hate to say it but the one game (Packers) was lost when Santanna Moss fumbled the ball.

Good thread though.

I'm wondering what will happen in the Secondary. I'm really missing Shawn Taylor right now. That's a whole nother thread I feel like discussing. :( But we need some one to play that position and play it well. I wonder how they will fill that gap. Not to mention Springs is at the end of is career, has injury issues, and a crazy cap hit.

All kinds of glaring needs. I wonder how this draft will pan out and how those needs will be met.

Sorry, but I'll remain a skeptic. I've got no problem w/ the WR picks...excellent value, and a possibility of having one of the most dangerous WR corps in the league. But, if there was one position I thought the Skins were set at it is TE.

If Zorn runs a true WC offense, there is only one TE and two backs, very little two TE sets. Besides, the Skins have one of the best young TEs in the game who just signed a huge extension. Also, I thought many in the organization thought highly of Tyler Ecker. And, to fan the flames a bit more, Todd Yoder was a very capable backup and good blocker.

All in all, I'd rather the Skins took a LB, CB, or a fatboy on either side of the line.

Oh yeah, and the Skins lost the GB game because Santana forgot to pack his hands for the trip.

We're putting a huge emphasis on Jason Campbell's development now. We were coming dangerously close to running in place in terms of JC's progression due to bad wr acquisitions (Patton, Lloyd)...and we HAVE to stop relying on literally pulling receivers off the street in mid-season if we truly want to develop Campbell into a franchise QB. Bringing in the likes of Todd Pinkston during training camp showed just how desperate we became in this area.

This is a great thread. One of the biggest problems the Redskins had last season was THEY DIDN'T SCORE ENOUGH POINTS, and not many Skins fans want to face up to this. Way too many times the Skins had to settle for field goals in the redzone. 14, 16, and 19 points per game rarely gets you into the playoffs. I love how Cerrato and Zorn have totally revamped and upgraded the receiving corp in the blink of an eye. On day 2 of the draft, I hope to see linemen drafted as well...Hail to the Redskins!

Awesome post! I am just now looking at the website so forgive me if this has been posted. With the addition of 2 receivers in the draft and KR Jerome Mathis in free agency, does anyone else get the feeling that maybe there is going to be a deal done for Chad Johnson? Maybe with Moss or Randle El included? I love both of them but, Chad Johnson across from Moss or Randle El, with Cooley and Davis? Who are you going to use to stop Clinton Portis in this set? Just a draft day thought.

Either way, no trade or Chad Johnson, I think you made the point very clear; this offense should put up some points on a more regular basis. :point2sky

They'll be no deal for Johnson, b/c we don't need Johnson now. We got our big WRs in the draft.

Provided these guys work out, of course. :)

Good posts and great draft from the skins so far!

Theres still rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for other needs but I think that really (aside from the injury situations of mcintosh and rogers) the other needs are more depth-driven and thats what day 2 is made for...

Keep in mind, we lost our 4th = TJ Duckett!

But I agree. Our defense was great last year and we didn't lose anyone. Add some depth for both lines. I think we can add corner depth with a free agent.

I love talking draft. Finally!!! :applause:

We no longer have a fifth pick and lost a 3rd pick and have picked up a 4th from the Falcon trade. Here is what we have left:

Round 3, Pick 33 (96) (Compensatory selection)

Round 4, Pick 4 (103) (From Falcons)

Round 6, Pick 20 (186)

Round 7, Pick 21 (228)

Round 7, Pick 35 (242) (Compensatory selection)

Round 7, Pick 42 (249) (Compensatory selection)

Hell of a post SN21 :applause:

Our red zone offense hurt us bad last year and we've just added 3 potentially top-notch targets to convert those trips.

To me we had an excellent first day and we still have 5 picks left.

Actually, the Redskins have SIX picks left. :)

(a 3rd, a 4th, a 6th, and three 7th round picks)

Bugel was never able to do anything with Molinaro or the other schmoe we drafted late that year. Maybe he just got lucky with Heyer. Outside of that, has he really developed anyone for us? Not that I have seen.

I actually enjoyed this post and don't mean to sound critical but I can't quite convince myself. I think you need real, raw talent as well as coaching to produce quality starters. This is not a deep draft for OL.

So I guess he got lucky with Russ Grimm (3rd round) Jeff Bostic (Undrafted picked up from the eagles for long snapping) and Joe Jacoby (Undrafted) :doh:

But I guess one of the greatest line ever is not developing anyone. :whoknows:

Keep throwing negative post around with no back-up to your argument.

Sorry, but I'll remain a skeptic. I've got no problem w/ the WR picks...excellent value, and a possibility of having one of the most dangerous WR corps in the league. But, if there was one position I thought the Skins were set at it is TE.

If Zorn runs a true WC offense, there is only one TE and two backs, very little two TE sets. Besides, the Skins have one of the best young TEs in the game who just signed a huge extension. Also, I thought many in the organization thought highly of Tyler Ecker. And, to fan the flames a bit more, Todd Yoder was a very capable backup and good blocker.

Excellent reply.....I too thought picking another Tight End was overkill, but that doesn't surprise me anymore......Going into the draft we had at least 5 areas we needed to address and so far with Day 1 behind us, we've added 2 receivers and a tight end? Don't we play this game with an Offensive Line and a Defensive Line? And nevermind that bullsh*t that we could draft an Offensive Lineman in the later rounds......There were 10 teams that drafted an Offensive Lineman on the 1st Day! And what about drafting a Defensive stud to help anchor that line? Oh well, now I could sit back and see how many of our draft picks we'll eventually cut, before the season begins!

Great thread, I'm on board, we needed the weapon. plus it will open the dump passes to Portis to run for 20 -30 yards. In the red zone put in all those targets and can still run, because the defense will be spread out. To much for a defense to defend.

The defensive hole will get filled today as well as some o line depth. On Sunday we can only dress 7 o line anyway, so do not expect to much oline this year.

I think many would agree that they are happy with the picks and the position we received them in, but unless you have the blinders on, it's hard not to look at some of the older, injury prone positions on our team that are going to have to be overhauled soon... and taking that risk that "we'll do it next year" is very very difficult to maintain.. ...

also, after the giants run in the superbowl and the preimium placed now at the Dline and the rush, I just would hate to find out early in the season that trusting our present oline was a huge mistake... can have all the size and speed and talent you could ask for, but as brady found out in the superbowl, if you don't have the time to throw to them, won't make a damn of difference...

great post. i was at the draft and when we traded down i was freakishly excited. when devin thomas fell to us i was even happier. after the next to picks i wasn't so happy, especially with guys like dre moore, calais campbell, and quentin groves still on the board. then after thinking about it i realized, hey we've got six more picks, and now our offense is going to boom. this is a good draft so far.

(Taking a risk on this one ... But I did my research.)

How soon we forget Redskins fans. In 2007 The Washington Redskins finished the year 9-7. Out of those seven losses, we could have won six of them. SIX. They were heartbreakers ... they were throw something at the TV, almost burst into tears, are you kidding me? how did we just lose that f-ing ball game? ... gut wrenching losses.

Three examples:

Week Three: Giants 24, Redskins 17.

It was over when ...

The Giants stuffed Redskins running back Ladell Betts at the goal line on third-and fourth down in the final minute to secure a 24-17 road victory.

Redskins squander three attempts inside the goal line and lose a game they clearly should have won. Most of you will blame this on the o-line. Me, Ill credit the Super Bowl Champion D-line. The same D-line that won the G-Men the Super Bowl. Without a big target, the Redskins cant throw inside the five yard line. Theres no fade route in our playbook. Throw Cooley, Davis, Kelly, and Thomas out there ... Someones catching a pass in the end zone.

Week Six: Packers 17, Redskins 13

It was over when ...

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell's pass to Ladell Betts on fourth-and-1 went for a zero gain and Green Bay took over on downs with just under seven minutes remaining. Washington got the ball back twice more but failed to pick up a single first down in those drives.

Heres a fun one. A game the Redskins were CLEARLY the better team. Except one glaring weakness. NO RECEIVERS. Go take a gander at the box score. Cooley shreds the Packers. The receivers are shut down by two very good Packer corners and the Redskins lose a very winnable game. So what if we had two Chris Cooley's out there? Maybe our receivers are shut down, but you have Fred Davis and Chris Cooley getting open at will. Campbell has two safety nets as opposed to one. Our defense didn't lose us this one. Santana Moss and our receivers ( or lack thereof) did.

Week 11: Cowboys 28 Redskins 23

It was over when ...

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell bypassed an open running lane and tried to force a pass into Antwaan Randle El that was intercepted by Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman with less than two minutes remaining. The pick sealed Dallas' 28-23 victory.

Remember this one, Campbell threw the ball all over the field to the tune of 348 yards. TO torched us, yet at the end of the day, we are in the red zone with a shot to win. Through the course of a game there are a ton of things that can be the difference in a win or a loss. But regardless of what happened, we were in the red zone, the game within our grasp. Campbell throws it ... maybe he should have run ... but hes a quarterback. QB's throw the ball. With no target, no one is open, he throws it to 5'11 Randle El and its picked off. BALL GAME. What if Campbell is scrambling around while Fred Davis, Chris Cooley, Devin Thomas, and Malcom Kelly are running routes. Maybe the pass isnt perfect, but theres a descent chance that your big receiver will make a play for the ball. Ever seen Romo sits to pee throw a pass that maybe he shouldnt have? Because I see it all the time. His receivers make him better. Our quarterback didn't just throw for 350 yards and suddenly fall apart in the red zone ... he had no one to throw too.

All season long Jason Campbell moved the ball up and down the field, only to be turned away in the red zone. Blown opportunity after blown opportunity. We need defensive depth yes ... but not like we need offensive playmakers. Despite the fact that our offense cost us game after game, everyone is screaming for Calais Campbell (who by the way has been nothing more than mediocre his last two years and Kiper bashed him.)

So we took a tight end unexpectedly. Fred Davis and Chris Cooley on the field at the same time ... try defending that opposing defenses. So we took two wide receivers. GOOD. Two big receivers, and two small quick receivers is called a real offense. Something we haven't seen in a long long time.

SkinsNoles21 ... theres such a thing as too many weapons!

To this I say ... seriously? The Redskins are so stacked with weapons we don't have room for more? Give me a break. I guess the Pats have "too many weapons." Three big targets is exactly what the dr. ordered for this team.

But SkinsNoles21, most of you will say, what about the o-line? Who cares about the weapons we add if we can't pass protect. Our o-line is old, and struggling.

So I guess I am forgetting about that right? Wrong.

You are forgetting about Joe Bugel.

Buges develops offensive lineman like Simon Cowell develops pop stars that aren't good. Why draft an o-lineman in the second round when you have SIX remaining draft picks, including three in the seventh round. Tomorrow the Skins will address the offensive line depth by drafting lineman and letting Joe Bugel work his magic. After the draft the Redskins will sign a bunch of free agents ... out of that group ... an o-lineman will likely emerge.

We have holes, yes ... but find me a team that doesnt. I'll tell you right now its not our defense that has cost us year in and year out. Its our offense. We put a lot into 6'5 big armed Jason Campbell and giving him three big targets is a beautiful thing. Our defense time and time again has kept this team in contention.

It's time for the offense to return the favor.

(Mel Kiper agrees with me ... just said we are day one winners.)

:applause: :cheers: what he said. or posted. just need to shore up the front line up a bit then go from there. I love these first 3 picks. :helmet:

Love the sentiment of this thread-

Last year: 1 large red zone threat - Cooley

This year: 4 large red zone threats - Cooley, Kelly, Davis, Thomas

6'-4", 6'-4", 6'-3", 6'-2"

We'll have to see how the new guys work out, but it should cause matchup problems

I too like the sentiment in this thread. Reading through most of the posts here I have to say I am a bit happier about what we did yesterday. I still, for the life of me cannot understand why we didn't get DLine help but that being said I cannot be displeased with us taking the "best available"

picks on the board. Each of our 3 picks have question marks but who doesn't I guess. I'll have to see how day2 plays out and then make a final judgement on this year's draft. Yesterday I reacted with exactly that, a "reactionary" conclusion. Perhaps I was a bit harsh on them. At least they didn't trade away our draft picks for old talent and went after possible talent. After today, I find out how justified, or not, those three picks yesterday for us were. We'll see.

:point2sky :logo:

i guess i like these picks, im gonna have to give them some time to grow on me...

my only problem is that i feel for some players like Trash and ARE because i dont know how productive they will be next season...theres gonna be a lot of money invested in four of our receivers, so if we under use a player it could be a waste of money

but thats just me

It's not my money :2cents:

On the flip side, if we have that many big weapons who can run slants and quick outs, time for JC may not be as big an issue. If Zorn can work with JC on his quick release, and have 1-2 safety valves running on a play, the key will be JC, not the OL. Maybe Zorn has seen what he can do with JC on quick passes, and thinks that big guys with hands will set the O until the OL can be upgraded. Now on to the youth movement for both lines. Plus, didnt I read where one of our picks had actually been a DB in HS? That could be interesting if we have depth problems there..........imagine, a 2 way WR/DB and the depth that could provide.

I think many would agree that they are happy with the picks and the position we received them in, but unless you have the blinders on, it's hard not to look at some of the older, injury prone positions on our team that are going to have to be overhauled soon... and taking that risk that "we'll do it next year" is very very difficult to maintain.. ...

also, after the giants run in the superbowl and the preimium placed now at the Dline and the rush, I just would hate to find out early in the season that trusting our present oline was a huge mistake... can have all the size and speed and talent you could ask for, but as brady found out in the superbowl, if you don't have the time to throw to them, won't make a damn of difference...

I think this analysis is BS.

I have said for a couple years that we need a big target but saying that is the reason why we are not scoring in the red zone is BS. Everything in the redzone starts with the O line. Period. If we don't get some depth all it will take is one injury to put us in trouble there.

I am somewhat happy with the picks but we really could of used a lineman over A TE.

Not to mention Joe Gibbs called the red-zone plays, which included some absolute doozies.

I remember one 3rd and long red-zone call was actually play-action that required Campbell to turn his back to execute a play-fake. Are you kidding me? 3rd and long in the red-zone and you're going to make a young QB turn his back to the line so he can't get a good look at the defense in an obvious passing situation where the play-fake won't do any good? Ridiculous.

I agree to a point, but our O-line didn't give Campbell much time to find any open receivers either. Plus, we tried to go to Mike Sellers too often. He was a pleasant surprise two year ago when he had 6 TDs, but teams knew we would go to him. Jim Johnson, Eagles DC, said something last year to the effect that is was easy to defend the Skins in the Redzone, he knew what was going to be called.

My point is, I agree that it will be nice to have taller receivers, I am satisfied with the draft. But if the O-line can't protect JC he will continue to throw into coverage and no matter how tall the guy is it can still be intercepted.

The OLine does not have to be addressed this year ... but WR did. Skins did a great job getting the two best BIG guys and a scoring machine TE as a bonus. Skins came awauy with THREE frist day players who were highly rated and relatively low risk. I'm very pleased with this approach. The Kiperites should stop whining and wait for today's results ... you must judge the Draft in its entirety ... so far so good.

The OLine does not have to be addressed this year ... but WR did. Skins did a great job getting the two best BIG guys and a scoring machine TE as a bonus. Skins came awauy with THREE frist day players who were highly rated and relatively low risk. I'm very pleased with this approach. The Kiperites should stop whining and wait for today's results ... you must judge the Draft in its entirety ... so far so good.

Yup! 2 of the top WRs and the top TE is a very nice first day haul. I like these picks for a lot of reasons. WRs are always a risk in the draft, but we've doubled our odds by taking 2. We now have several tall targets for Campbell, who has struggled overthrowing our smaller receivers from the beginning. I also think we'll see Moss step up his level of intensity after apparently taking last offseason off and playing with very low focus for half of last season. Thomas is a fast playmaker and Kelly is a big, physical guy who can go over the middle. Those 2 matched up with Moss and El is very exciting, and Davis makes a great back up to Cooley. Lots of offensive weapons to develop. I think it's great!

Archived