Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This HAS to be said ... Draft Day One (Now Two) M.E.T.

SkinsNoles21

i dont know why, but i thought this was going to be a very negative thread...

anyway, very true. from what i've seen, davis looks like an outstanding run blocker, and drafting 2 tall wideouts can only help in the red zone.

Where have you seen/heard this? (Not saying you're wrong, I just keep on reading his downside is his blocking; it'd be nice to hear that's not true :D )

I'm really digging our draft thus far. 9 picks. Wow. Too cool.

We can definitely use the big recievers; we've needed them for quite some time. It'll be interesting to see if JC is able to use them effectively. Especially with a healthy line again this year (crosses fingers).

I guess the only piece I'm second guessing is Malcom Kelly over Lima Sweed. Personally, I thought Limas would have been a slightly better pick for us.

However, I'm not complaining. The other thing that sucks about having a good draft, is that it makes the offseason a bit more painful.

Just can't wait to see these guys in burgundy and gold!!!! :laugh:

Where have you seen/heard this? (Not saying you're wrong, I just keep on reading his downside is his blocking; it'd be nice to hear that's not true :D )

I'm really digging our draft thus far. 9 picks. Wow. Too cool.

highlight reels i've seen (i know everyone can look good on a highlight reel, but still). plus a friend who is a trojans fan.

Good posts and great draft from the skins so far!

Red Zone offense was pretty much the one thing that was stopping the skins from putting up points and going deep in the playoffs last year... Moss is great when he has acres of space to run and get past the secondary but in the red zone the field shortens up and speed becomes much less of a factor... More big bodies was what the redskins needed and what they got...

Theres still rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for other needs but I think that really (aside from the injury situations of mcintosh and rogers) the other needs are more depth-driven and thats what day 2 is made for...

also remember that Devin Thomas was being talked about as high as top-15, Malcolm Kelly was, according to his PLAY on the field, considered the best receiver in the draft and when you have two first round talents fall to the 2nd in a need position you take them!

I think the Skins so far have had a flawless off-season

Good posts and great draft from the skins so far!

Theres still rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 for other needs but I think that really (aside from the injury situations of mcintosh and rogers) the other needs are more depth-driven and thats what day 2 is made for...

Keep in mind, we lost our 4th = TJ Duckett!

But I agree. Our defense was great last year and we didn't lose anyone. Add some depth for both lines. I think we can add corner depth with a free agent.

I love talking draft. Finally!!! :applause:

I'm warming to these picks.....

I still come from the philosophy that you build in the trenches first and work out with Skill players.

But Thomas is a steal and Kelly also addresses size and red zone issues.

After Albert, there really isn't a Guard or Center in the higher than late thrid round caliber anyway.

Good thread helps make more sense.

Like many have said, this is the type of thread we used to see around here, before every half-wit with a computer discovered this site. Thank you.

A few things:

The games you mentioned could have been won several different ways, not just with big WR's, though I'd agree that the "smurf screen" offense was clearly hindering the Redskins' red zone production.

Green Bay: someone mentioned the Moss fumble. :cuss:

New York: too many ways to mention.

Dallas: a healthy Sean Taylor never allows TO to go nuts like that. We win 23-17 with #21 back there, RIP.

Yet if you really went back and looked at every Redskins offensive possession in the redzone in '07, there's no doubt that a lack of a big target WR was a huge detriment. There were a lot of FG's that could have been TD's, theoretically. And in the Super Bowl - the value of the big WR in today's game was plain to see. The Giants have three WR's at 6 feet or more, allowing them to make the type of plays against the Pats that smaller WRs rarely accomplish.

Let's hope that they make the difference we think they'll make. :cheers:

Like many have said, this is the type of thread we used to see around here, before every half-wit with a computer discovered this site. Thank you.

A few things:

The games you mentioned could have been won several different ways, not just with big WR's, though I'd agree that the "smurf screen" offense was clearly hindering the Redskins' red zone production.

Green Bay: someone mentioned the Moss fumble. :cuss:

New York: too many ways to mention.

Dallas: a healthy Sean Taylor never allows TO to go nuts like that. We win 23-17 with #21 back there, RIP.

Yet if you really went back and looked at every Redskins offensive possession in the redzone in '07, there's no doubt that a lack of a big target WR was a huge detriment. There were a lot of FG's that could have been TD's, theoretically. And in the Super Bowl - the value of the big WR in today's game was plain to see. The Giants have three WR's at 6 feet or more, allowing them to make the type of plays against the Pats that smaller WRs rarely accomplish.

Let's hope that they make the difference we think they'll make. :cheers:

Right, but any game at any time can be won a multitude of different ways.

But in these games, especially the Giants and Cowboys games ... We were right there at the end.

Regardless of whatever happened throughout the course of the game ... we were in the red zone with a chance to win, or at least tie the ball game.

We failed because we lacked targets IMO.

I was opposed to the receivers earlier...but now that I have had time ot think about it, the decisions really make sense and hopefully will pan out well for us in the long run. Having two good sized TE's will be very beneficial in the red zone. And the addition of two receivers who are above 6 ft. should help Campbell in the red zone as well. I am really excited for tomorrow and even more excited for the season to start.

Right, but any game at any time can be won a multitude of different ways.

But in these games, especially the Giants and Cowboys games ... We were right there at the end.

Regardless of whatever happened throughout the course of the game ... we were in the red zone with a chance to win, or at least tie the ball game.

We failed because we lacked targets IMO.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree.

Without going back and looking at every game, I can clearly remember the sentiment that I felt at least a dozen times, which was: Nice drive, good mix of run & pass, we're making plays...then here comes the bogging-down portion of the drive as we near pay dirt.

Very frustrating.

I think the Skins will have a significantly improved offense this season, and one or both of the rookie WRs will play a prt in that improvement.

Isnt that what many on this board were saying when the trade talks began? That would be the dream for this draft, to DRAFT our own star WR. I am getting really good feelings about the O right now, with a feeling at least one will be a long term, productive Skin, with the potential for all three to be strong players under a coach who wants to make the O something to be feared and unpredictable rather than pound, pound, throw. As I have said in other threads, the upsides of these players is very solid physically, with the weaknesses being technique. Technique can be learned. Plus, having bigger targets who are willing and able to go up for a high pass may be just the ticket for JC to do what we have all been hoping for since he was drafted. Now if we can get a few linemen to develop and bolster both lines, we could actually have a team that can consistently be in the chase for the division instead of having to fight to a WC spot.

or maybe Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas will turn into a receiver as productive as Chad Johnson? ... and a lot younger

I love the original post, and I love the picks! Skins got the top receiver and top TE in the draft, both in the second round. The team is suddenly loaded with receivers. I think we'll address the lines with our many mid-round picks.

i guess i like these picks, im gonna have to give them some time to grow on me...

my only problem is that i feel for some players like Trash and ARE because i dont know how productive they will be next season...theres gonna be a lot of money invested in four of our receivers, so if we under use a player it could be a waste of money

but thats just me

Let me preface this post by saying that I don't disagree entirely with the thrust of the OP: last season was definitely respectable, and I do think that we're in pretty darn good shape heading into next season. But there were a couple things I have to disagree with:

How soon we forget Redskins fans. In 2007 The Washington Redskins finished the year 9-7. Out of those seven losses, we could have won six of them. SIX. They were heartbreakers ... they were throw something at the TV, almost burst into tears, are you kidding me? how did we just lose that f-ing ball game? ... gut wrenching losses.

We could also look at some of our wins, make a couple "what if..."s, and say that we were really a 6-10 team. After all, two of our wins came over two of the worst teams in the league (Miami and NYJ), and we needed overtime field goals to win each. Or the Arizona game, which could have been sent to overtime if not for a bad pass on a 2-point conversion, our lost entirely on a last-second field goal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that we actually were a 6-10 level team. But my point is that you can seriously alter the outcome of a season in either direction by using a few well-placed counterfactuals. Heck, there are probably only a handful of teams who couldn't look good using "what-if" scenarios.

Overall, I think our record reflected the team's overall level of play fairly well.

Buges develops offensive lineman like Simon Cowell develops pop stars that aren't good. Why draft an o-lineman in the second round when you have SIX remaining draft picks, including three in the seventh round. Tomorrow the Skins will address the offensive line depth by drafting lineman and letting Joe Bugel work his magic. After the draft the Redskins will sign a bunch of free agents ... out of that group ... an o-lineman will likely emerge.

My main concern here is that the team has already shown that it's going BPA, regardless of position. So drafting offensive linemen with a reasonable level of talent is not guaranteed.

Buges is good, no question. But all of our starters clearly demonstrated talent before they arrived here. If the team is serious about wanting to contend beyond the next year or two, we're going to need make offensive line a priority very soon.

We could also look at some of our wins, make a couple "what if..."s, and say that we were really a 6-10 team. After all, two of our wins came over two of the worst teams in the league (Miami and NYJ), and we needed overtime field goals to win each. Or the Arizona game, which could have been sent to overtime if not for a bad pass on a 2-point conversion, our lost entirely on a last-second field goal.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that we actually were a 6-10 level team. But my point is that you can seriously alter the outcome of a season in either direction by using a few well-placed counterfactuals. Heck, there are probably only a handful of teams who couldn't look good using "what-if" scenarios.

I think I stated numerous times that throughout the course of a game and a season, many things can change the outcome. Maybe we did play to that level.

What I am saying is ... in many games this season, at the end of the game. After all the what if's had been played out and we were holding the ball with a shot to win it. We didnt ... We didnt because we didnt have the ability to score in the red zone.

Sure, we don't know how any of these guys is going to pan out.

But not knowing and being able to find out is better than not ever knowing because we don't have the picks in the first place.

As for DL - I'm hoping we hit another Anthony Montgomery-type....except at DE.

Take the CB with the comp pick or early in the 4th round (crosses fingers for a certain guy in a blue-and-orange jersey from a school in Idaho) and take one LB if you can get him. Other than that...two more linemen.

I whole heartily agree with this. Teams figured out if you lock down the run and cover Cooley the Redskins are not scoring inside the 20. Even in the playoff game at Seattle, when we got the turnover on the kickoff only to have it end up as a momentum killing missed field goal. (btw I have nothing against our kicker, I'm a huge fan of having a kicker that I don't have to sweat 30 yard field goals.)

Archived