Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This HAS to be said ... Draft Day One (Now Two) M.E.T.

SkinsNoles21

(Taking a risk on this one ... But I did my research.)

How soon we forget Redskins fans. In 2007 The Washington Redskins finished the year 9-7. Out of those seven losses, we could have won six of them. SIX. They were heartbreakers ... they were throw something at the TV, almost burst into tears, are you kidding me? how did we just lose that f-ing ball game? ... gut wrenching losses.

Three examples:

Week Three: Giants 24, Redskins 17.

It was over when ...

The Giants stuffed Redskins running back Ladell Betts at the goal line on third-and fourth down in the final minute to secure a 24-17 road victory.

Redskins squander three attempts inside the goal line and lose a game they clearly should have won. Most of you will blame this on the o-line. Me, Ill credit the Super Bowl Champion D-line. The same D-line that won the G-Men the Super Bowl. Without a big target, the Redskins cant throw inside the five yard line. Theres no fade route in our playbook. Throw Cooley, Davis, Kelly, and Thomas out there ... Someones catching a pass in the end zone.

Week Six: Packers 17, Redskins 13

It was over when ...

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell's pass to Ladell Betts on fourth-and-1 went for a zero gain and Green Bay took over on downs with just under seven minutes remaining. Washington got the ball back twice more but failed to pick up a single first down in those drives.

Heres a fun one. A game the Redskins were CLEARLY the better team. Except one glaring weakness. NO RECEIVERS. Go take a gander at the box score. Cooley shreds the Packers. The receivers are shut down by two very good Packer corners and the Redskins lose a very winnable game. So what if we had two Chris Cooley's out there? Maybe our receivers are shut down, but you have Fred Davis and Chris Cooley getting open at will. Campbell has two safety nets as opposed to one. Our defense didn't lose us this one. Santana Moss and our receivers ( or lack thereof) did.

Week 11: Cowboys 28 Redskins 23

It was over when ...

Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell bypassed an open running lane and tried to force a pass into Antwaan Randle El that was intercepted by Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman with less than two minutes remaining. The pick sealed Dallas' 28-23 victory.

Remember this one, Campbell threw the ball all over the field to the tune of 348 yards. TO torched us, yet at the end of the day, we are in the red zone with a shot to win. Through the course of a game there are a ton of things that can be the difference in a win or a loss. But regardless of what happened, we were in the red zone, the game within our grasp. Campbell throws it ... maybe he should have run ... but hes a quarterback. QB's throw the ball. With no target, no one is open, he throws it to 5'11 Randle El and its picked off. BALL GAME. What if Campbell is scrambling around while Fred Davis, Chris Cooley, Devin Thomas, and Malcom Kelly are running routes. Maybe the pass isnt perfect, but theres a descent chance that your big receiver will make a play for the ball. Ever seen Romo sits to pee throw a pass that maybe he shouldnt have? Because I see it all the time. His receivers make him better. Our quarterback didn't just throw for 350 yards and suddenly fall apart in the red zone ... he had no one to throw too.

All season long Jason Campbell moved the ball up and down the field, only to be turned away in the red zone. Blown opportunity after blown opportunity. We need defensive depth yes ... but not like we need offensive playmakers. Despite the fact that our offense cost us game after game, everyone is screaming for Calais Campbell (who by the way has been nothing more than mediocre his last two years and Kiper bashed him.)

So we took a tight end unexpectedly. Fred Davis and Chris Cooley on the field at the same time ... try defending that opposing defenses. So we took two wide receivers. GOOD. Two big receivers, and two small quick receivers is called a real offense. Something we haven't seen in a long long time.

SkinsNoles21 ... theres such a thing as too many weapons!

To this I say ... seriously? The Redskins are so stacked with weapons we don't have room for more? Give me a break. I guess the Pats have "too many weapons." Three big targets is exactly what the dr. ordered for this team.

But SkinsNoles21, most of you will say, what about the o-line? Who cares about the weapons we add if we can't pass protect. Our o-line is old, and struggling.

So I guess I am forgetting about that right? Wrong.

You are forgetting about Joe Bugel.

Buges develops offensive lineman like Simon Cowell develops pop stars that aren't good. Why draft an o-lineman in the second round when you have SIX remaining draft picks, including three in the seventh round. Tomorrow the Skins will address the offensive line depth by drafting lineman and letting Joe Bugel work his magic. After the draft the Redskins will sign a bunch of free agents ... out of that group ... an o-lineman will likely emerge.

We have holes, yes ... but find me a team that doesnt. I'll tell you right now its not our defense that has cost us year in and year out. Its our offense. We put a lot into 6'5 big armed Jason Campbell and giving him three big targets is a beautiful thing. Our defense time and time again has kept this team in contention.

It's time for the offense to return the favor.

(Mel Kiper agrees with me ... just said we are day one winners.)

EDIT: Sorry had to do it ...

Shameless bump ... but I'm shameless bumping because the Skins did what I felt they could do with the man Joe Bugel.

Draft an o-lineman and then sign four undrafted free agent lineman.

Heres what Im seeing with all these guys ... big physical have the ability and talent to play in the NFL ... BUT ARE LACKING TECHNIQUE.

Who will teach then technique?

Joe Bugel.

for example ... Stephon Heyer ....

So the third round pick is a solid guy and Im banking on one of these four undrafted free agents to make the team coming opening day ...

That would give us three young o-lineman to start the year...

Don't forget about the Tampa Bay game either. Threw it in the corner towards a short Sanatan Moss. If we would've had bigger targets, we might have scored and win that game by a point. We were down 13-19 with 25 secs left on the 16.

Fade routes were a thing of the past for this offense. Usually a surefire way to score a touchdown.

Bugel was never able to do anything with Molinaro or the other schmoe we drafted late that year. Maybe he just got lucky with Heyer. Outside of that, has he really developed anyone for us? Not that I have seen.

I actually enjoyed this post and don't mean to sound critical but I can't quite convince myself. I think you need real, raw talent as well as coaching to produce quality starters. This is not a deep draft for OL.

Tremendous thread.

I posted this in another thread but I feel that it is relevant here as well.

In the Seattle playoff game, how many times did we go on the field, only to go 3 and out or march 10 yards and then punt? Our offense did absolutely nothing until the very end of the game, and time and time we gave Seattle tremendous opportunities to put the game away. Fortunately, our defense played great and stymied Seattle for the most part. If we had a better passing offense and the weapons that we have now, we would have been able to move the ball down the field. We would have scored more points and kept the Seattle offense off the field, it's as simple as that. Case in point: When Mix returned the onside kick, had we been able to score 7 (which would have been much easier with a 6'2 Devin Thomas, a 6'3 Fred Davis, and a 6'4 Malcolm Kelly), the game would have been put away. Instead, we had to settle for a field goal and Suisham shanked it. The rest is history.

Well done, amigo. Man, if soem of the new threads I've seen today are the result of the "special rules" we had, I may lobby for a more regular implementation of the standard. The quantity of dumbed-dwon threads, knee-jerk resative threads, and just "me too" threads dropped way down (many were closed) and the quality came way up, as they had to in order to remain open by the nature of the Draft Day rules. So I am very serious about that idea. :)

I am pretty sure that we lost the Green Bay game because we called a ****ing screen pass to Moss and he got jacked up and fumbled it, thus resulting in a Charles Woodson TD.

Other than that, I agree with you :D

Whyd we throw a screen pass?

Why did we always throw so many damn screen passes?

My guess is small receivers who arent exactly running routes over the middle.

Excellent thread. While I am not greatly excited over us taking a TE, the more I read on him, and the more I read from you guys, the better this move looks. We still need O-line depth, but we could find a gem in the 3rd and/or 4th roounds. Zuttah, for example, is still available.

Our biggest problem last year on O, and even the haters will confirm this, was we died out in the redzone. That shouldn't be a problem anymore with Thomas, Kelly, and Davis.

Bugel was never able to do anything with Molinaro or the other schmoe we drafted late that year. Maybe he just got lucky with Heyer. Outside of that, has he really developed anyone for us? Not that I have seen.

I actually enjoyed this post and don't mean to sound critical but I can't quite convince myself. I think you need real, raw talent as well as coaching to produce quality starters. This is not a deep draft for OL.

And ten went in the first round ... so maybe the feeling was ... Might as well draft 1-2 tomorrow.

Enough about what these big guys will do INSTEAD of Santana Moss. Think about what these guys will do FOR Santana Moss, who really hasn't had a target on the outside to take pressure off him since he got here three years ago?

David Patten: Bust

Brandon Lloyd: Even bigger bust

Our best #2 has been ARE, who was good, yeah, but he would THRIVE in a slot role.

Now enter Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, or/AND Anthony Mix.

Whoops. Three big receivers and then two speedsters. We start running 3, 4, 5 wide...you can't double team everybody, you've only got five corners. Someone's gonna end up in single coverage and either get outrun or outjumped for the football. :movefast:

See Santana Moss run.

See Malcolm Kelly run.

See Devin Thomas run.

See Randle El run.

See Anthony Mix run.

See someone run past you.

Enough about what these big guys will do INSTEAD of Santana Moss. Think about what these guys will do FOR Santana Moss, who really hasn't had a target on the outside to take pressure off him since he got here three years ago?

David Patten: Bust

Brandon Lloyd: Even bigger bust

Our best #2 has been ARE, who was good, yeah, but he would THRIVE in a slot role.

Now enter Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, or/AND Anthony Mix.

Whoops. Three big receivers and then two speedsters. We start running 3, 4, 5 wide...you can't double team everybody, you've only got five corners. Someone's gonna end up in single coverage and either get outrun or outjumped for the football. :movefast:

See Santana Moss run.

See Malcolm Kelly run.

See Devin Thomas run.

See Randle El run.

See Anthony Mix run.

See someone run past you.

I freakin love it!!!!!

Awesome post! I am just now looking at the website so forgive me if this has been posted. With the addition of 2 receivers in the draft and KR Jerome Mathis in free agency, does anyone else get the feeling that maybe there is going to be a deal done for Chad Johnson? Maybe with Moss or Randle El included? I love both of them but, Chad Johnson across from Moss or Randle El, with Cooley and Davis? Who are you going to use to stop Clinton Portis in this set? Just a draft day thought.

Either way, no trade or Chad Johnson, I think you made the point very clear; this offense should put up some points on a more regular basis. :point2sky

I'm just dreaming about that Cooley hook route he runs near the goaline. He just runs a few yards into the endzone and squats and finds his spot. That's difficult to defend.

Now add another TE who has stellar receiving skills, a 6-2 WR with 4.4 speed dragging across the endzone, and a 6-4 WR who does not drop balls running a fade.

Also, in Kelly we picked up the best blocking WR on this roster.

Awesome post! I am just now looking at the website so forgive me if this has been posted. With the addition of 2 receivers in the draft and KR Jerome Mathis in free agency, does anyone else get the feeling that maybe there is going to be a deal done for Chad Johnson? Maybe with Moss or Randle El included? I love both of them but, Chad Johnson across from Moss or Randle El, with Cooley and Davis? Who are you going to use to stop Clinton Portis in this set? Just a draft day thought.

Either way, no trade or Chad Johnson, I think you made the point very clear; this offense should put up some points on a more regular basis. :point2sky

or maybe Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas will turn into a receiver as productive as Chad Johnson? ... and a lot younger

Initially, I thought our second pick completely sucked. After reading this thread, I have had a change of heart. Thanks for putting it in perspective. I am still upset that we let Trevor Laws go to the Iggles, but this thread makes me feel better.

EDIT: I was confused - Philly took Laws right before we took Davis. Given that Devin Thomas was there, we had to take him with our first pick. I am just upset that they got Laws at all.

Archived