Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lito Sheppard is still available. Thoughts?

SuperPhreak

Obviously there has to be a good reason the Eagles shop him yet sign a guy a year older with pretty much identical stats to a huge contract...wasnt he injury prone? I thought I remember he was the guy who hasnt played more than eleven games every single year due to injury??

I have a feeling that if the Iggs DO move Lito, it will be as part of a draft day trade and probably not before. It could have to do with who is available at certain points within the first couple rounds.

Offer our 7th and nothing more. If it works, then it is a steal. If not, then that's ok too. We need to keep our draft picks, especially through the sixth round.

And just who would you draft that would come in an be an immediate threat?

Because if we did trade for Lito, he would come in and be that kind of player. IMHO

Looking at his stats, he was very close to Fred Smoot, in terms of tackles and Int's.

I think he would be worth a 3rd rounder, and maybe a conditional 09 pick based on his performance.

He's worth a 3rd rounder, but not the big contract he would want.

I can't recall where I read it but the strong feeling is that the Eagles will want at least what Atlanta got for Hall i.e a 2nd rounder and maybe a late pick next year.

If he could stay healthy I think he would be worth that 2nd rounder but with his injury history I think thats steep when that pick could be a very good guard or DT for example. Thats without even thinking about what contract he is going to want .....

Its tempting but I'd pass at that price. Finally unless we offered the moon on a stick I doubt the Eagles would want to trade within their Division.

More stats on Lito Shepherd.

In 2007:

He missed four weeks (three games) in 2007, Washington, Detroit, and New York, wait, wasn't it the 2nd NY game that Plaxico lit up the Eagles?

Total Games Missed: 3

he had 51 tackles most of them solo, and only 4 passes defened, and 2 ints, both against Dallas. Romo sits to pee has a tendency to throw picks now and then.

Okay so that was 2007 what about 2006

In 2006:

He missed the first four games of the season against ouston, Giants, 49ers, and Green Bay, but also missed the final game against Atlanta

He had around 30 tackles and 19 Passes defended and 6 INTs (1TD)

Total GAmes Missed: 5

Okay so he had a bad stretch of luck lets look at 2005

In the Post Season he had4 Tackles and no passes defended versus the giants, and no stats in the New Orleans game.

In 2005:

He actually played a full season, no wait, he only played 11 games? His stats disappeared after week 11 against the giants but in that time he had 31 Tackles 9 Passes Defended and 3 INTs (1TD) (San Fran, Chargers, Dallas)

Okay so his luck is worse then I thought, what about in 2004?

In 2004:

Wow he played the entire season in 2004 for 56 Tackles 14 Passes Defended and 5 INTs (Carolina, Cleveland and Dallas and 2 TDs)

Now those were just the regular season numbers

In the Post Season he had 11 Tackles and 4 Passes Defended

In 2003:

He had 51 Tackles and 18 Passes Defended, 1 INT only 1 Tackle in the Post Season

In 2002: His stats were marginal at best.

13 Tackles 0 Passes Defended.

So uhm, exactly how is this an upgrade over Fred Smoot and Carlos Rogers?

we cant give up too much for him. he would just be added for depth to the roster

What??? Have you ever seen him play?

His health is an issue and I'm not in favour of giving up a 2nd for him nor the contract he is going to want but if he was on our roster he would be our second best corner after Springs and would move Smoot into the slot.

Next year when Rogers is hopefully 100%, Springs would be cut and Rogers and Smoot would battle it out to start opposite him.

He is not a 4th or 5th corner - not unless you are playing Madden with no salary cap and have Lester Hayes, Darrel Green and Night Train Lane on your squad ......

i want him because Rogers is not 100% and that kind of knee injury is really bad. i mean didn't L.Arrington have a simular injury and didn't his affectiveness start to go down hill? i pray to god that Rogers comes back with just a step lost this year and get's it back at the end of the year or the next year

The only way a Sheppard deal would be good for us is if we get him cheap. As of right now, there is no scenario where that would happen. He's worth more to the birds as trade bait. I feel that our best course is to draft 2 CB's within our 9 picks. One, no later than 3rd rnd and one with the 5th or later. That gives us two chances to find a decent corner for depth and will mitigate the question mark left by Carlos comming back 100%.

Best case scenario is that both draftees work out and we have at least one starter and no question mark at CB depth. Worst case scenario is both suck and we are right back where we are right now. In my heart, I feel it will be just fine in the draft and come away with some players who can learn under Springs for at least this next year.

I have always thought that Springs could rotate in at the FS position if our corner situation was solid. I would not feel the sameif it were Sheppard.

Hail

Guest sith lord
He is the same age as Asante Samuels, matter of fact he is a couple months younger he's 26 came in the league in 2002!:doh: [/b]

What are Springs and Smoot? Your saying they are Great players?

He would add depth and give Rogers extra time to fully recover from his knee injuries plus he knows the style of D we are going to be playing!

3rd round pick is all i give them for him!:2cents:

Good post. Since when is 26 years old aging?

we should pass. eagles want way too much for him. they want something like atlanta got for d.hall. even if they would be willing to take a high draft pick, let's say a 7th rounder, this guy would be asking for a contract equal to the top 5 cb's in the nfl. we don't have that cap space. i'd rather make cap room and go after julius peppers next year if he is available. plus cb's are deep and like some of the other members here, i'd rather take a risk and develop a young talent at a lower cost. seeing that smoot, springs, rogers, and torrence are good enough to hold down the secondary with landry at the fs helm.

Archived