Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordy Nelson

Leon Phelps

Anybody have any thoughts on us taking a flyer on Nelson in the Second Round? I'm against using our 1st rounder on a WR because I dont think any of the players are really sure bets to be productive as they all have question marks. Why not take a DE or DT(Merling, Campbell or Balmer) or CB(Cromartie, Flowers, or Talib) in the first round and use our second rounder on the 6-2 217 receiver from K State in the 2nd. He was highly productive at K State in 2007: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores.

I suppose I just don't think we need to go DE or CB in the 1st. Maybe if one of the top guys falls to us. I think Jordy will be a solid NFL WR. But not special or elite. I'd rather have a more polished and athletic guy in the 1st (even though that seems to be the new buzz phrase around ES..."there aren't any WRs worth a 1st" to which I call complete BS). But hey, that's just my opinion.

Bottom line at this point its not even worth locking in on a single position let alone player in any given round - we just don't know who is going to be left on the board when we pick.

We need to go best player available in each of the first 3 rounds who is a WR, CB, DL or OL and not reach to pick a guy who fits a perceived hole when he is not worth that draft slot.

Its like what someone else said, it depends on whose available in the second. I am not opposed to taking Jordy Nelson with the second, but if Monk is going to be there in the third round, I would rather take another position of need and grab Marcus Monk with one of our thirds.

Its like what someone else said, it depends on whose available in the second. I am not opposed to taking Jordy Nelson with the second, but if Monk is going to be there in the third round, I would rather take another position of need and grab Marcus Monk with one of our thirds.

I think Monk's knee problems will keep him around until at least the 4th round if not later.

I like Jordy Nelson, but I'm also a bit leery of taking WRs in this draft. Nelson played in a WCO at KSU, and probably would do well here. I'm not sure he is a #1 guy, but he might be a good compliment to Moss. He has NFL size, speed, acceleration and agility from what I've seen. I'm sure we'll make a good choice.

Like I said prior to the combine..i agree with Leon Phelps with picking Jordy Nelson. Jordy is definitely worth a mid 3rd round pick so if we have a chance to get him before he is snatched up, i say take him. I've seen every game he's played in college and i will let everyone in on a little secret. "he gets better with every game he plays at Wr." He lined up against several quality db's in the big 12 (most noticeably aqib talib of kansas who's suppose to be gone in the top 10 of the draft.) Jordy burnt Talib 3 times in the game accounting for 10 catches and 137 yards. Jordy isn't fast on paper but he is football fast. He's a football player who just wants to win and why not line him up in the slot next to ARE and Moss?

I agree with an article I read back before the combine, Teams are running out of reasons not to like Jordy Nelson.

Seriously tho, what about Nelson makes him not worth a our 2nd. He's got great hands, great size, knows how to get open, and has better than average speed. On top of that, he produced in one of the countries elite confences.

If you ask me, if we don't go WR in the 1st, and still want a reciever in the first 3 rounds, Nelson is the way to go. After that first group of top guys which include Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, Hardy and Jackson all of which are 1st rd to early 2nd rd pick there is a little drop off to the next group of WR. Nelson is the top of the 2nd Group. He is our best option if we don't go WR in the 1st.

Jordy is going to be a stud! He's the going to be the "next" wes welker, although better.

Welker is good but he really didn't do much of anything until he had Tom Brady throwing to him. Well, and defenses having to pay so much attention to Moss.

Anybody have any thoughts on us taking a flyer on Nelson in the Second Round? I'm against using our 1st rounder on a WR because I dont think any of the players are really sure bets to be productive as they all have question marks. Why not take a DE or DT(Merling, Campbell or Balmer) or CB(Cromartie, Flowers, or Talib) in the first round and use our second rounder on the 6-2 217 receiver from K State in the 2nd. He was highly productive at K State in 2007: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores.

Why would you take a mediocre DL in the 1st Round? I'd rather take 2-4 DEs on the 2nd Day, then take 3 DE/DTs who aren't worth a 1st in the 1st.

Bottom line at this point its not even worth locking in on a single position let alone player in any given round - we just don't know who is going to be left on the board when we pick.

We need to go best player available in each of the first 3 rounds who is a WR, CB, DL or OL and not reach to pick a guy who fits a perceived hole when he is not worth that draft slot.

Good point. We never know whose going to be available when it comes time for us to pick.

Very little chance that Nelson makes it to our spot in the 3rd. I wouldn't be upset if we take him in the second. Or, if he doesn't get selected by anyone in the second, should we consider trading up in the 3rd round...the same way that we did for McIntosh and Cooley? We could package our 3rd with late round picks from this year and next year. Or does that sound outlandish?

I agree with an article I read back before the combine, Teams are running out of reasons not to like Jordy Nelson.

Seriously tho, what about Nelson makes him not worth a our 2nd. He's got great hands, great size, knows how to get open, and has better than average speed. On top of that, he produced in one of the countries elite confences.

If you ask me, if we don't go WR in the 1st, and still want a reciever in the first 3 rounds, Nelson is the way to go. After that first group of top guys which include Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, Hardy and Jackson all of which are 1st rd to early 2nd rd pick there is a little drop off to the next group of WR. Nelson is the top of the 2nd Group. He is our best option if we don't go WR in the 1st.

Nothing against Nelson, but it would seem that he is not at the top of that 2nd group that you speak of. See links.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/wr.html

BPA in the first as long as it addresses one of the 4 primary needs the team has.... including WR.

Nelson is a reach in the second, but if he's the BPA in the 2nd round and we haven't addressed the WR position in the first... then by all means.

Archived