Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordy Nelson

Leon Phelps

The DL and OL are more important than WR or CB. If quality players for either line are there in 1st and 2nd, you take them.

I would like to see OL rd 1, DE rd 2, DT rd. 3, WR rd. 3.

OL maybe, but DL, or at least DE, is better drafted in bulk on the 2nd day.

OL/WR in Rounds 1 and 2. DT/DE/DB the rest of the day, expect for one more OL pick.

I'm not so sure getting Jordy in the 2nd would be that much of a reach. I think there would be enough of an argument to warrant this man a 2nd round pick. Very solid kid as well. I do agree there are many other positions we can fill with that pick, but I also wouldn't be opposed to picking him up, even if we did it in the 2nd. Especially since I read comments on here about picking up a receiver with one of our thirds who has knee problems, which always scare me.

Say, we land Albert in round 1 and in round 2 Calias Campbell and Jordy Nelson are both on the board. Who do you take? I would go Campbell. I think there will be some nice WR's in round 3. Im on the boat of trading back if Albert is gone. If we had 3 2nds i would have no problem taking Nelson but only if Sweed, Kelly, Hardy, and Thomas are off the board.

Say, we land Albert in round 1 and in round 2 Calias Campbell and Jordy Nelson are both on the board. Who do you take? I would go Campbell. I think there will be some nice WR's in round 3. Im on the boat of trading back if Albert is gone. If we had 3 2nds i would have no problem taking Nelson but only if Sweed, Kelly, Hardy, and Thomas are off the board.

I personally think that Albert will be long gone by the time we pick in the first round.

If for some odd reason he is there and we draft him, and it comes down to a decision between Nelson and Campbell.... I don't know. Not really sold on either one of them. I'd prefer Hardy to Nelson if he's available. And there's a handful of DEs I'd rather have than Campbell.

I personally think that Albert will be long gone by the time we pick in the first round.

If for some odd reason he is there and we draft him, and it comes down to a decision between Nelson and Campbell.... I don't know. Not really sold on either one of them. I'd prefer Hardy to Nelson if he's available. And there's a handful of DEs I'd rather have than Campbell.

I agree with you on Albert not being around. I think Campbell will be a steal if he is there in the second. I would be all over him. If Albert is gone the way we should stay at 21 is if one of the OT's or CB's fall. I would be very happy with a Cromartie or Jenkins. I would love to move back and grab a WR in the second. Im sure one of the top 4 will be there earily in the 2nd. I like Nelson alot but i just dont think he is a 2nd rounder if we stay at 21 and he is there in the third im all over him. Here is how i would rank the WR's this year.

1. Devin Thomas

2. Malcolm Kelly (would be #1 if not for the knees)

3. Limas Sweed

4. James Hardy

5. Desean Jackson

6. Jordy Nelson

Anybody have any thoughts on us taking a flyer on Nelson in the Second Round? I'm against using our 1st rounder on a WR because I dont think any of the players are really sure bets to be productive as they all have question marks. Why not take a DE or DT(Merling, Campbell or Balmer) or CB(Cromartie, Flowers, or Talib) in the first round and use our second rounder on the 6-2 217 receiver from K State in the 2nd. He was highly productive at K State in 2007: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores.

I'm not a huge fan of Nelson. He was productive, but I don't think he has any upside to be a number 1 or 2 reciever. I think he's a slot reciever in the NFL and we already have a slot in Randel El. I wouldn't even take him in the third round. Sorry.

Too bad the NFL won't let us trade our 3rd round comp. pick

We could have packaged our two 3rds and taken him somewhere in the late 2nd/early 3rd the address CB/DE in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I could definitely see Nelson doing well in our new system.

1. Devin Thomas

2. Malcolm Kelly (would be #1 if not for the knees)

3. Limas Sweed

4. James Hardy

5. Desean Jackson

6. Jordy Nelson

I think I might switch this around a bit, personally. With it being Sweed or Kelly at #1 and Thomas at #3. Thomas is very athletic and seems to have a bunch of upside but let's face it...he is, as of now, a complete one year wonder and pretty raw. IMO that is a much bigger concern than a healed wrist injury. Kelly...I just don't know. He had a productive college career and is a very good receiver but he has had multiple injuries and hasn't even been healthy enough to run yet, letalone do position drills, etc.

As far as the rest of the list, I pretty much agree. Hardy is somewhat raw but has a bunch of production. Jackson is good but, IMO, was sold as more than he actually is. Jordy I think is solid and had a year of excellent production but I think he projects to be more of a Slot guy in the NFL. Split Ends many times are taller guys who are asked to create mismatches and go up for jump balls as a red zone target or even a downfield target. Jordy's pretty subpar vertical of 31 inches makes me think he isn't going to be outjumping many NFL CBs any time soon. If we needed a slot guy I'd say go for it. But we have ARE as our slot guy. I'd rather have a guy like Sweed at Split End who has the same speed, also has great hands, has a 37.5 inch vertical and knows how to use his body to shield defenders from the ball when he goes up for it. Just sounds like a better fit. Maybe Kelly could be that too; it's quite possible. But nobody knows because he hasn't done a single workout yet.

And ANOTHER country heard from. ;)

Tony, great to hear from you, bud. You're definitely right. You can't go by what the "experts" say in their mocks. While some teams draft according to "rating + need", other teams, especially in certain rounds, draft strictly according to need. If you really like a guy and think he'll help your team, you just can't hope he'll still be there in a certain round. You take him when you can get him. THAT'S where the fun lies in the draft for me. Always expect the unexpected.

As for Nelson, I got the chance to watch a few K-State games here in Colorado and he has a real knack for getting open. As I've mentioned multiple times before, he reminds me of a cross between Wes Welker and Chris Cooley and I think he'd do VERY well in the WCO. I have no problem taking him in round two if our coaching staff thinks that highly of him.

Hey Jimbo, great to hear from you. Believe it or not... I've actually been thinking of your recently. There's a course in Colorado that I was thinking about taking in the near future... might need a place to crash :) And we can certainly hang out too :)

Back to the point... did ANYONE predict the Patriots selecting Logan Mankins in the 1st round a few years ago? Hope. In fact, no one even heard of the dude. But there he was.... a 1st round selection.

What happened to that Michigan Wolverine DT that was projected to go top 15 last year - the one that all Redskins fans wanted to draft last season - and ended up being drafted in the 4th round by the Cardinals?

The first round is already difficult enough to project. To guess anything in the 2nd round and beyond is completely ridiculous. So to say that a player is a reach in the 2nd and 3rd rounds is completely ridiculous and dumb.

You grab a player where ever you have him ranked.... not where he's projected by Mel Kiper.

Have you ever heard Mel Kiper tell you ANYBODY in the first round is going to be a bust? Does he ever tell you a top 10 pick is going to flop? Even though at least 5 will every draft? Never.

That's why mock drafts are idiotic.... and a complete waste of time. Even a waste of time talking about it.

What happened to that Michigan Wolverine DT that was projected to go top 15 last year - the one that all Redskins fans wanted to draft last season - and ended up being drafted in the 4th round by the Cardinals?

Alan Branch. He was drafted with the 1st pick of the 2nd round by the Cards.

I think I might switch this around a bit, personally. With it being Sweed or Kelly at #1 and Thomas at #3. Thomas is very athletic and seems to have a bunch of upside but let's face it...he is, as of now, a complete one year wonder and pretty raw. IMO that is a much bigger concern than a healed wrist injury. Kelly...I just don't know. He had a productive college career and is a very good receiver but he has had multiple injuries and hasn't even been healthy enough to run yet, letalone do position drills, etc.

As far as the rest of the list, I pretty much agree. Hardy is somewhat raw but has a bunch of production. Jackson is good but, IMO, was sold as more than he actually is. Jordy I think is solid and had a year of excellent production but I think he projects to be more of a Slot guy in the NFL. Split Ends many times are taller guys who are asked to create mismatches and go up for jump balls as a red zone target or even a downfield target. Jordy's pretty subpar vertical of 31 inches makes me think he isn't going to be outjumping many NFL CBs any time soon. If we needed a slot guy I'd say go for it. But we have ARE as our slot guy. I'd rather have a guy like Sweed at Split End who has the same speed, also has great hands, has a 37.5 inch vertical and knows how to use his body to shield defenders from the ball when he goes up for it. Just sounds like a better fit. Maybe Kelly could be that too; it's quite possible. But nobody knows because he hasn't done a single workout yet.

I very much agree with you. I think if Sweed didnt have injury concerns he would be going top 15 maybe top 10. Same goes for Kelly with the knee concerns and not working out his stock is dropping. As for Thomas i just really like his game. He is exciting. I def agree he is a one year wonder but it was a fantastic one year. Im not feeling any of the WR's at #21 but if we moved back a few slots i would be very happy with Kelly, Sweed, Thomas, or even Hardy for that matter. Im hoping someone falls Albert, Jenkins, Cromartie, Williams or Otah any of those 5 and im happy, if not lets move back get some extra picks.

As Jimbo pointed out in another thread-

If we trade our 21st pick to Atlanta for their 2nd and 3rd round picks then what would you do ?

My opinion is going OL and DL in the second round and WR, DB and BPA in the third.

Just more BS to share till the draft :laugh:

worst case scenario is that he turns out to be a ricky proehl type of player and makes key catches his entire career..

or perhaps another brandon stokely

best case scenario ? another dwight clark

i think nelson will be productive for whatever team he goes to.. hopefully for the skins.. other than devin thomas, i am not sure i could get as excited about any other receiver ending up as a redskin

is he worth a #2 ? was cooley ????

worst case scenario is that he turns out to be a ricky proehl type of player and makes key catches his entire career..

or perhaps another brandon stokely

best case scenario ? another dwight clark

I don't know why I find this thread humorous, but it reminds me of some debates last year about how black QBs are only compared to other black QBs.

Why does it seem like Nelson is being compared to only other white receivers? :laugh:

Not singling you out, just found it funny.

I don't know why I find this thread humorous, but it reminds me of some debates last year about how black QBs are only compared to other black QBs.

Why does it seem like Nelson is being compared to only other white receivers? :laugh:

Not singling you out, just found it funny.

Haha I was thinking that too, I think its only natural considering how few white receivers there are in the league but this kid seems legit--he could certainly fit into the WCO as a possession receiver.

Campbell in a heartbeat but it would be very surprising if he was still on the board when we pick in the second round.

If we got Alberts in the 1st, Campbell in the 2nd and Nelson in the 3rd it would be dream draft for me.

Not going to happen though, Alberts is now being talked about as a top 15 pick and is projected as a tackle by some teams, Campbell might fall into the 2nd but will be taken early in that round if he does IMO. Nelson - dont know he might be taken late 2nd but might still be there when we pick with ouroriginal 3rd rounder.

As Jimbo pointed out in another thread-

If we trade our 21st pick to Atlanta for their 2nd and 3rd round picks then what would you do ?

My opinion is going OL and DL in the second round and WR, DB and BPA in the third.

Just more BS to share till the draft :laugh:

If we trade our 1st round pick for Atlantas 2nd and 3rd I would try to reach through my TV to strangle Vinny. I would want Atlantas 1st next year as part of any such trade - say next years 1st and a late 2nd rounder.

If that happens you still go best player available who is a DL, OL, WR or CB but I would be very surprised if at least one of the picks was not a Dline.

Anybody have any thoughts on us taking a flyer on Nelson in the Second Round?

Imo Jordy Nelson would be a reach in the second round. I don't think he would be the best player available, let alone the best receiver available. Many receivers formerly considered 1st rounders will be sliding into the second round. But, if we do take a 2nd round receiver i'd rather take Andre Caldwell.

Imo Jordy Nelson would be a reach in the second round. I don't think he would be the best player available, let alone the best receiver available.

I'm fine with reaching for this guy in the second if our coaches like him and they don't think he'll drop. IMO, it's only the first round where reaching really hurts.

Archived