Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordy Nelson

Leon Phelps

Nothing against Nelson, but it would seem that he is not at the top of that 2nd group that you speak of. See links.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/wr.html

I would put him ahead of all of those guys. Maybe not Manningham, but Manningham is 6 fot and like 180 lbs. Vinny has stated he wants a bigger guy so pass on him.

This prefer this list...http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/rankedWR.cfm#X

According to Vinny, the WR talent pool is deep in the second and third rounds. I like Nelson a lot because I think he would fit perfectly as the slot receiver for the Skins. He's supposed to be a third round pick (per most scouting sites) up from originally being graded as a mid round pick. He may not be there when the Skins have their first pick in the 3rd round. But, it would cost the Skins too much to move up using their 5, 6, and 7th round picks (those picks have limited point value). Taking him in round 2 means that the Skins can't get another position that may be deep only to round 2. Best option IMO is for the Skins to get lucky and find a trade down partner in round 1. Use some of the compensation to move up a little bit in the 3rd round and then pick Nelson. As much as I think the guy has potential the Skins are better off not fixating on one player and instead being happy with the possibility of getting one of several WRs that can contribute.

Jordy Nelson is a better pick in the second than Kelly, Thomas, or Sweed in the first. Kelly has injury concerns, Sweed has production concerns (say what you will about his wrist but he didn't play well against any decent teams), and Thomas is not convincing. Jordy may never be great but he will be good and could be very good. He will play smart and catch the ball.

I always get a laugh when people say "he's a reach in round X".

As if you guys know anything about anything other than what you've been spoon fed from a few media analysts about where players are "projected".

All it tells me is.... whoever says that.... hasn't watched an NFL draft ever and their opinion is completely irrelevant and invalid.

How many drafts does it take to realize there more than 1/3 of the 1st round selections are going to be drafted who were projected 2nd or 3rd round picks? And there are going to be guys projected in the first round that are going to drop out as well.

If you spent even 1 afternoon watching an NFL draft over the last 20 years.... you'd know this.

Anybody have any thoughts on us taking a flyer on Nelson in the Second Round? I'm against using our 1st rounder on a WR because I dont think any of the players are really sure bets to be productive as they all have question marks. Why not take a DE or DT(Merling, Campbell or Balmer) or CB(Cromartie, Flowers, or Talib) in the first round and use our second rounder on the 6-2 217 receiver from K State in the 2nd. He was highly productive at K State in 2007: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores.

only if we were to address the OL and take Barnden Albert in the 1st would I be ok with taking Jordy Nelson in the 2nd. I like what I have seen out of this guy. Seems like a hard worker and tough hard nosed type of player.

How many drafts does it take to realize there more than 1/3 of the 1st round selections are going to be drafted who were projected 2nd or 3rd round picks? And there are going to be guys projected in the first round that are going to drop out as well.

Some players will go higher than expected and work out, some will be busts. And it won't keep people from having opinions on who should go where and why.

Some people here think he's worth a 2nd round pick and some don't.

Someone pissed in my cheerios

I removed the 'everyone on ES sucks' waffle for you bud ;)

Makes it easier for us to understand :silly:

As for Jordy in the second, IMO not unless we're trading down (not that we won't just that we shouldn't).

There will be some real good DL prospects available in the second. Being we're not far from from having a very good DL I'm thinking the second is a good place to add another piece.

That being said I would welcome him to our team if we did take him in the second. He does look like he will transfer to the NFL and at least be productive.

This draft is going to be a good one I feel :2cents:

As if you guys know anything about anything other than what you've been spoon fed from a few media analysts about where players are "projected".

All it tells me is.... whoever says that.... hasn't watched an NFL draft ever and their opinion is completely irrelevant and invalid.

If you spent even 1 afternoon watching an NFL draft over the last 20 years.... you'd know this.

And ANOTHER country heard from. ;)

Tony, great to hear from you, bud. You're definitely right. You can't go by what the "experts" say in their mocks. While some teams draft according to "rating + need", other teams, especially in certain rounds, draft strictly according to need. If you really like a guy and think he'll help your team, you just can't hope he'll still be there in a certain round. You take him when you can get him. THAT'S where the fun lies in the draft for me. Always expect the unexpected.

As for Nelson, I got the chance to watch a few K-State games here in Colorado and he has a real knack for getting open. As I've mentioned multiple times before, he reminds me of a cross between Wes Welker and Chris Cooley and I think he'd do VERY well in the WCO. I have no problem taking him in round two if our coaching staff thinks that highly of him.

Jordy Nelson is not a second round pick. I agree with most that believe he could contribute to the WCO. The comparsion to Welker is not really accurate, Welker ran a 4.4 and a 4.39 coming out of school. Maybe not a great difference, but take into account Welker's lateral quickness...he is a beast making cuts and adjusting to zone defenses.

I am all for Jordy Nelson with our first 3rd round pick. If someone else snags him, so be it. It happens; like some have posted, Monk, Manningham and others will be there in the 3rd. I still like A. Arrington in the 6th or 7th. And no I'm not a Michigan fan.

Go Hokies!

Jordy Nelson is not a second round pick. I agree with most that believe he could contribute to the WCO. The comparsion to Welker is not really accurate, Welker ran a 4.4 and a 4.39 coming out of school. Maybe not a great difference, but take into account Welker's lateral quickness...he is a beast making cuts and adjusting to zone defenses.

I agree with this.

There are two comparisons between Nelson and Welker. One, they both returned punts effectively in college. Welker obviously more than Nelson. Two, they both look different than the typical football player in a particular way. No real surprise that he's also drawn comparisons to Cooley. Hey, maybe he'll be like a combination of Joe Jurevicius and Ed McCaffrey...and Sammy Baugh!

With all that said, I like Nelson. He actually reminds me of, of all people, DJ Hackett. Similar size, similar speed, similar ability to be highly productive. What I don't know is if Nelson can beat the NFL jam. If he can, and it's a big if, he can be a very solid split end for us.

I removed the 'everyone on ES sucks' waffle for you bud ;)

Makes it easier for us to understand :silly:

As for Jordy in the second, IMO not unless we're trading down (not that we won't just that we shouldn't).

There will be some real good DL prospects available in the second. Being we're not far from from having a very good DL I'm thinking the second is a good place to add another piece.

That being said I would welcome him to our team if we did take him in the second. He does look like he will transfer to the NFL and at least be productive.

This draft is going to be a good one I feel :2cents:

Osi and Strahan both came from Round 2. Tuck came in the 3rd.

I think we would be wise to take a DE in Round 2 or 3.

I'd rather have Devin Thomas now that Jordy Nelson's stock is on the rise.

Adrian Arrington is a good player who has pretty much hovered in the 4th/5th round ranking.

I can always count on ya for the voice of reason. :cheers:

Thomas has the physical attributes of a legitimate #1 WR. He looked like one this past year. The obvious question is one year wonder or sign of things to come.

If we're not looking at Thomas I like Nelson in the 3rd. If he's not there I won't be too upset. Our second round pick will be very valuable and a terrific player should be available at that point. Taking a gamble on Nelson would probably mean passing on other need positions which carry a first-round grade on our draft board.

I hope we're looking at Adrian Arrington, who would be a marvelous pick in the 4th or 5th. (I know we don't have a 4th, but we could acquire one by trading up/down) I don't understand how this guy's stock isn't higher than what it is now.

We've watched NFL drafts. I guess that means our opinions are completely relevant and valid now? A reach means you are using a higher draft pick than where the player was likely to be picked. One player could fit perfectly for your team but not be rated that highly because he doesn't have the set of skills that will fit with every team. If a team is looking for a true deep threat they would not be interested in Nelson. Jordy should be good at split end and appears to have the skills to play in the slot. I liked him better when he was projected as a mid round pick - he seemed like a steal. If it was a choice between Trevor Laws DT and Nelson in the second round I think I might prefer Laws. Then pick a different WR in the third. I don't think we'll go WR at 21.

I hope we're looking at Adrian Arrington, who would be a marvelous pick in the 4th or 5th. (I know we don't have a 4th, but we could acquire one by trading up/down) I don't understand how this guy's stock isn't higher than what it is now.

He should have stayed in school so he could dispell some of the things that scouts don't like about him. Scouting report sounds Rod Gardneresque...

"Does not have great timed speed or quickness...Is not very explosive and lacks a burst...Needs to get stronger...Is not a great route runner...Lack of concentration leads to some drops...Questionable motor...Marginal blocker...Doesn't have a ton of experience...Was never the featured target in college...Has character concerns. "

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/adrianarrington.html

I do think he'd be worth a late round pick though.

Archived