Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid berkeley liberals (update Live stream of protest)

WVUforREDSKINS

Would you sign a 1 day contract to be a Washington Redskin  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign a 1 day contract to be a Washington Redskin

• Yeah where do I sign?
    • Nah, being a fan is good enough

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Cal schools. My sister graduated from Davis. I almost went out there but decided it was too effing far.

The whole Cal system is very good, no doubt, but Berkeley is head and shoulders above the rest of them. It really is a "public Ivy" and is really the only public university of that caliber in the US.

It is true, but the US News rankings are utter crap, as everyone in academia knows. Wash U in St. Louis has been manipulating those stats and surveys for years and even managed to get itself into the top ten, when it isn't even close to that in reality. Notre Dame is another that doesn't belong anywhere near its high US News ranking.

Vandy is a good school, don't get me wrong. A very good school. But Berkeley is a place where you can be taught by the very best of the best, have access to the most cutting edge areas of all of academia. There are opportunities available there that almost no other schools can match.

Of course, if you like rankings - here's a ranking that has Berkeley as the third best university in the entire world (Vandy is 41 which is pretty dang high too...)

http://www.arwu.org/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm

The Times of London ranks Berkeley as the second best university in the world.

http://www.universities-weblog.com/50226711/harvard_tops_list_of_worlds_best_universities.php

:nutkick: :silly:

It is true, but the US News rankings are utter crap, as everyone in academia knows. Wash U in St. Louis has been manipulating those stats and surveys for years and even managed to get itself into the top ten, when it isn't even close to that in reality. Notre Dame is another that doesn't belong anywhere near its high US News ranking.

I would agree on Washington. My cousin is going to law school there, and he is the laziest guy I know. He got rejected by Vandy and all the upper tier schools he applied for.

But I hear Notre Dame is great.

And if I did want my son to get a degree in computer engineering or something similar, Berkely would be tops on the list for sure. It's a great school

I would agree on Washington. My cousin is going to law school there, and he is the laziest guy I know. He got rejected by Vandy and all the upper tier schools he applied for.

But I hear Notre Dame is great.

It is fine, you get a good education and good sports, etc. But it isn't like Princeton or even close. I've been there to visit, and I know quite a few ND alums. They liked it, but they aren't intellectuals, never wanted to be intellectuals, and never suggest that they got the premier academic experience in college. You aren't going to have the chance to work on cutting edge scientific research at ND. You aren't going to meet Nobel Prize winners, or discuss Chaucer with a recognized expert in the field, or anything. Academically it's just another good medium sized university, but its famous sports programs elevate it in the public mind (and make it harder to get in than it might be).

Stick with Vandy - it's better than ND by a mile, IMO. :applause:

Berkely Idiot: "Yah, that'd be nice"

That was the best part

Yep, that was my favorite part too! It epitomizes the mentality of so many of these protestors: they are uneducated about the actual topic and are simply protesting out of ignorance and emotion.

Actually, lots of people in Berkeley are well-educated hard working people with a good grip on reality.

Of course, none of them were in that video.

I do not deny the fact that there are well-educated people in Berkeley. However, that doesn't change my assertion that the Berkeley is a veritable melting pot of extreme liberal lunatics... I mean seriously, the damn city council tried to boot the Marine recruitment center from Berkeley.

I do not deny the fact that there are well-educated people in Berkeley. However, that doesn't change my assertion that the Berkeley is a veritable melting pot of extreme liberal lunatics... I mean seriously, the damn city council tried to boot the Marine recruitment center from Berkeley.

Yep. The political spectrum in Berkeley pretty much runs from basic liberal to far left to complete crackpot. No question about it.

However, your run of the mill liberal is not extreme, despite what Sarge might say. My Berkeley friends are quite embarassed about the nonsense that is going on down at City Hall.

The whole Cal system is very good, no doubt, but Berkeley is head and shoulders above the rest of them. It really is a "public Ivy" and is really the only public university of that caliber in the US.
Don't sell Michigan short. Or UVA. :)
Of course, if you like rankings - here's a ranking that has Berkeley as the third best university in the entire world (Vandy is 41 which is pretty dang high too...)

http://www.arwu.org/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm

The Times of London ranks Berkeley as the second best university in the world.

http://www.universities-weblog.com/50226711/harvard_tops_list_of_worlds_best_universities.php

I went to undergrad at a school in the top ten on both lost lists, but you have to realize that they are really ranking graduate programs, with a heavy bias towards scientific research. (Notice that #30 doesn't even have an undergraduate program.)

Science and engineering research is what brings in the big money to make a university world class, but not a lot of that really filters down to undergrads. In reality, the college experience at Berkeley isn't really going to be that much better than UCLA ... or UC Santa Cruz.

The most intelligent people in the world, who are professors and grad students at Berkeley or Cambridge, are not necessarily the best teachers for Introductory Physics. What you need to learn during college can be taught very well by Associate Professors at hundreds of universities across the country. Berkeley might be better, but for 90% of students there it's not really going to make a huge difference.

That's not to say there is no value in an elite college. A big part of it is simply being in college among your intellectual peers, which continues to pay off later in life through the connections you make. And for that top 10%, they may get to work with world-class researchers, and by senior year, they might actually understand enough to learn something that they couldn't have anywhere else ... but the vast majority won't really have an experience like that ... and those elite students are going on to great graduate schools anyways.

Shoot for Berkeley, but don't be too disappointed with UC-Irvine. :)

Yep. The political spectrum in Berkeley pretty much runs from basic liberal to far left to complete crackpot. No question about it.

However, your run of the mill liberal is not extreme, despite what Sarge might say. My Berkeley friends are quite embarassed about the nonsense that is going on down at City Hall.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at: there's a high density of extremely ignorant liberal morons in Berkeley. I realize that the "run of the mill" liberal is normally not this fanatical, but leave it to Berkeley to bring the loons out of the wordwork.

Don't sell Michigan short. Or UVA. :)

Nah. I went to Michigan for law school and I grew up in Virginia (and almost went to UVa). Neither of them compares to Berkeley for general intensity or for the range of opportunity available to an undergrad. At least not as far as I can see. I could be wrong.

I went to undergrad at a school in the top ten on both lost lists, but you have to realize that they are really ranking graduate programs, with a heavy bias towards scientific research. (Notice that #30 doesn't even have an undergraduate program.)

Science and engineering research is what brings in the big money to make a university world class, but not a lot of that really filters down to undergrads. In reality, the college experience at Berkeley isn't really going to be that much better than UCLA ... or UC Santa Cruz.

The most intelligent people in the world, who are professors and grad students at Berkeley or Cambridge, are not necessarily the best teachers for Introductory Physics. What you need to learn during college can be taught very well by Associate Professors at hundreds of universities across the country. Berkeley might be better, but for 90% of students there it's not really going to make a huge difference.

That's not to say there is no value in an elite college. A big part of it is simply being in college among your intellectual peers, which continues to pay off later in life through the connections you make. And for that top 10%, they may get to work with world-class researchers, and by senior year, they might actually understand enough to learn something that they couldn't have anywhere else ... but the vast majority won't really have an experience like that ... and those elite students are going on to great graduate schools anyways.

You last paragraph sums it up for me. The experience may not be that different for everyone, but the range of opportunities at an elite place will be very different for those able and willing to take advantage of them. Keeping your opportunities as open as possible is very important to me - you never know who is going to blossom into a special scholar if they get the chance.

In my opinion, of course.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at: there's a high density of extremely ignorant liberal morons in Berkeley. I realize that the "run of the mill" liberal is normally not this fanatical, but leave it to Berkeley to bring the loons out of the wordwork.

I wish you wouldn't call those people "liberals." :(

They are far left crazies, and have as much to do with us ordinary liberals as neo-nazis have to do with ordinary conservatives.

In a somewhat related note,the Chicago area loons are planning a event.

http://www.organizepittsburgh.org/

Evict the military recruitment station, cage the recruiters! :laugh:

On Wednesday, March 19, POG will be holding a torch-lit march to a modern day castle of abominations—our local military recruiting station. If the station remains open, we intend to evict it and everything inside of it, occupy the location, and transform it into something useful for the community. We'll also be bringing a movable cage in which to confine military recruiters until they no longer pose a danger to our friends and neighbors. Of course, the station may be closed and recruiters may flee or hide behind the police apparatus that enables the war to continue. That is often the case, and we've seen in the past the overwhelming resources the state directs against these anniversary events because of their importance as a symbol of dissent. We believe in acting effectively, in confronting the war, at times and places of our choosing. When the state brings the resources necessary to suppress direct action against the war, it makes sense to hold a symbolic protest, and we still consider that a success, as it exposes the reality that it is ultimately on the local level that our countries war policy will be decided.

At least they were smart enough to schedule it after the recruiters close up for the night :rolleyes:

Archived