Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Picks Under Snyder's Ownership - Where Are They Now?

TK

the real question is, how does this compare to other teams?

Such as, the other teams in our division...or just a random sample of 5 or so teams.

I'd be interested to see if they all more or less have similar patterns. I know the Spurrier years were a waste of time and money as far as the FO is considered but I would think that compared to other teams it wouldn't seem as bad.

You ask, I'll answer with Chicago

1- Brian Urlacher. Bears

2- Mike Brown. Bears, but an injury waiting to happen.

3- Dez White. Gone

4- Dustin Lyman. Gone

6- Frank Murphy. Gone

6- Paul Edinger. Gone

7- James Cotton. Gone

7- Mike Green. Gone

1- David Terrell. (retch) Gone

2- Anthony Thomas. Free Agent

3- Mike Gandy. Free Agent

4- Karon Riley. Gone

5- Bernard Robertson. Gone

7- John Capel. Gone

2002 (Jerry Angelo's first year)

1- Marc Columbo. Cowboys, after bad knee injury.

3- Roe Williams. Gone.

3- Terrence Metcalf. Bears (although he stinks)

4- Alex Brown. Bears

5- Bobby Gray. Gone

5- Bryan Knight. Gone

6- Adrian Peterson. Bears

6- Jamin Elliot. Gone

6- Bryan Fletcher. Gone

1- Michael Haynes. Gone

1- Rex Grossman. Bears, even though he'll probably be gone next year.

2- Charles Tillman. Bears

3- Lance Briggs. Wherever the hell he signs.

4- Todd Johnson. Rams (reserve)

4- Ian Scott. Free Agent

5- Bobby Wade. Vikings

5- Justin Gage. Titans

5- Tron Lafavor. Gone

6- Joe Odom. Gone

6- Brock Forsey. Gone

7- Bryan Anderson. Gone

2004 (Lovie Smith's first year)

1- Tommie Harris. Bears

2- Tank Johnson. Cowboys

3- Bernard Berrian. Wherever he signs.

4- Nathan Vasher. Bears

4- Leon Joe. Free Agent, but not much.

5- Claude Hariott. Gone

5- Craig Krenzel. Gone

7- Alfonso Marshall. Gone

1- Cedric Benson. Needs to step up

2- Mark Bradley. Also needs to step up

4- Kyle Orton. Gets a chance next year

5- Airese Currie. Never really made it

6- Chris Harris. Panthers

7- Rod Wilson. Bears (reserve)

2- Danieal Manning. Starter

2- Devin Hester. Set to break the return touchdown record next year.

3- Dusty Dvorachek. Hasn't been able to stay healthy

4- Jamar Williams. Starter next year

5- Mark Anderson. Great pass rusher, not much else.

6- J.D. Runnels. Backup

6- Tyler Reed. Practice Squad

1- Greg Olsen. Should start next year

2- Dan Bazuin. Ended up on IR

3- Garrett Wolfe. Should see some touches next year.

3- Michael Okwo. Ended up on IR

4- Josh Beekman. Never saw the field last year.

5- Kevin Payne. Ended up on IR

5- Corey Graham. Good special teams player.

7- Trumaine McBride. Started a few games when Vasher got hurt.

7- Aaron Brant. Cut

It really wasn't extremely different. The Jauron and Spurrier years were pretty similar. The biggest differences were on the defensive line and secondary. The offense has not been successful and it shows.

At the beginning of this past season we had 12 players on our roster that WE had drafted over the past 4 years (9 of which were starters):

Landry, LaRon, S, LSU **

Blades, H.B., LB, Pittsburgh

Ecker, Tyler*, TE, Michigan

McIntosh, Rocky*, LB, Miami **

Montgomery, Anthony, DT, Minnesota **

Doughty, Reed, S, Northern Colorado **

Golston, Kedric, DT, Georgia **

Rogers, Carlos*, CB, Auburn **

Campbell, Jason, QB, Auburn **

Broughton, Nehemiah*, RB, The Citadel

Taylor, Sean, S, Miami (Fla.) R.I.P. **

Cooley, Chris, TE, Utah State **

In contrast, the patriots:

1. Willie Andrews DB

2. Matt Cassel QB

3. Stephen Gostkowski K **

4. Ellis Hobbs III CB **

5. Chad Jackson WR

6. Nick Kaczur T **

7. Logan Mankins G **

8. Laurence Maroney RB **

9. Brandon Meriweather S

10 Ryan O'Callaghan T

11. James Sanders S **

12. Le Kevin Smith DL

13. David Thomas TE

14. Benjamin Watson TE **

15. Vince Wilfork DL **

15 players on the roster and 8 starters.

The Skins consistantly get bashed for trying to "buy a championship" and "ignoring the draft", but head to head with the best team in the league we come out on top.

The Skins have drafted more starting players for their football team over the past 4 years than the Patriots. Given this fact, I don't really understand why Snyders gets thrown under the bus for this.

The draft is a crap shoot, but we have done pretty will in recent history.

Wow, that is an eye opening list. Some of the guys I thought were out of the league are still plugging along. Gibran Hamdan?

Thanks for putting this together :cheers:

I know. I thought for sure that Ham Sammich was out of the League. Although I think he did go to NFL Eruope for a year or two. He could be a F.A. now though. Not really sure.
Yeah... I found his jersey at Lake Forest Mall and picked it up just for fun. Then I googled him and it said regarding NFL Europa:

Hamdan was the league's leading passer and earned Offensive Most Valuable Player honors. He started 7 games and posted 102 completions out 162 attempts for a total of 1629 yards, 12 touchdowns and 3 interceptions, posting a perfect passer rating in the 3rd game[1][2] of the season against Frankfurt Galaxy. He holds the record for average passer rating for the season in NFL Europe at 113.4.

Thought that was kinda cool. He's having a real tough time "up here" though.

Isn't EVERYONE from the 2000 draft except Samuels out of the league?

I was wondering how long before someone called attention to that. :)

NFL.com didn't have a single listing for those guys. At first I thought that maybe they just never made the 53 man roster or the practice squad & were cut & never caught on anywhere. But I remember that Del Cowsette followed Marvin Lewis to Cinci. I think he seemed to last at least a year, maybe two there. I have no idea where he is now.

2007 - Gibbs

1. Landry, LaRon, S, LSU

2006 - Gibbs

2. McIntosh, Rocky*, LB, Miami

5. Montgomery, Anthony, DT, Minnesota

6. Doughty, Reed, S, Northern Colorado

6. Golston, Kedric, DT, Georgia

2005 - Gibbs

1. Rogers, Carlos*, CB, Auburn

1. Campbell, Jason, QB, Auburn

2004 - Gibbs

1. Taylor, Sean, S, Miami (Fla.) R.I.P.

3. Cooley, Chris, TE, Utah State

Gibbs record isn't too bad when you look at it. he never really had a full board to work with, but on the whole did a decent job with our first 2 or 3 picks

I was wondering how long before someone called attention to that. :)

NFL.com didn't have a single listing for those guys. At first I thought that maybe they just never made the 53 man roster or the practice squad & were cut & never caught on anywhere. But I remember that Del Cowsette followed Marvin Lewis to Cinci. I think he seemed to last at least a year, maybe two there. I have no idea where he is now.

I found a story where he was signed to the active roster of the Bears in 2006. I have a feeling that was his last NFL action.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/PressReleasesStory.asp?story_id=2830

Google is your friend.

Jason

The Skins have drafted more starting players for their football team over the past 4 years than the Patriots. Given this fact, I don't really understand why Snyders gets thrown under the bus for this.

The draft is a crap shoot, but we have done pretty will in recent history.

It reminds me of the 2000 season, which everyone accuses the Redskins of attempting to "buy" a Super Bowl. What never gets mentioned is the detail that the Ravens had more FA starters on their team that year than the Redskins as well as having nearly the same total player salary.

Of course, the Ravens didn't buy a Super Bowl, right? :doh:

It's not the front office's fault that Sean Taylor is no longer on the roster and no longer a starter. It would have been the right and classy thing to do to point that out in your post, but perhaps you were more interested in proving a point.

Also, we drafted Dockery in the 3rd round of '03. He left and signed a massive contract elsewhere. That doesn't make him a bad pick.

Two of our last four drafts ('04 and '06) have been phenomenal, particularly considering the limited number of picks we had to work with. The only thing that might have made those drafts better would have been if we had MORE picks. In the "lesser" two drafts of the last four years ('05 and '07), we still brought in Rogers, Campbell and Landry.

In '04, half of the players we picked became Pro Bowlers. Again, would have been nice to have had even more picks.

You're also overlooking the undrafted guys who have been major contributors (Heyer, Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Wilson, etc.). Someone is doing their job when guys like that pan out.

:doh: Sometimes I have to wonder if people are really serious, or just being sarcastic. Yes, ST was not anyones fault. That makes me completely wrong, and instead of 49 of our 53 roster spots being made up of FA's or really young players(undeveloped), instead it would have been 48. Right and classy thing? I sit here in disbelief.

As for Dockery, hes not on the Redskins. The problem isnt that he wasnt a good pick, the problem is hes no longer here, and we got nothing for him. The pick has done us no good right at this moment. We still have a roster composed entirely of undeveloped players and FAs.

As for recent drafts, the problem with judging those is, even if guys dont look good initialy, or look like superstars, it doesnt tell you how they will eventually turn out. I also didnt count undrated players because... I was counting drafted players only.

I make a brief observation(not a disertation), completely relevant, and your response is to attack straw men the whole way, attack ME for not including Taylor, and that I was wrong because I said 48 instead of... oh wait... 48. :doh:

Wow. In the years prior to 2004, only 6 out of the 43 FA's we picked up are still in the NFL. Only two with the Redskins. Once again evidence that its not a problem with how we acquire players, its a problem of talent evaluation. Now the resurgence of talent in 2004 is one of two things. Either its an indication that we figured out how to find talent(coinciding with Gibbs return), or its merely too soon for us to know the players are busts. Of course it could be a combination of the two. Some of the talent is undeniable(Portis, Moss, ARE), and part of it I think is also because we are going after younger talent(older talent retires sooner).

Interesting Bears list. It seems to show they had twice as many draft picks still on their roster as us(not a lot, 10), and more players still in the league. Of course thats one team, so if someone REALLY had the time(come on, you MUST be out there), I think a case study of 5 top teams, 5 bottom teams, and 5 middle of the road teams would really be definitive.

Not counting the most recent 3 years, the previous 5 drafts produced a grand total of 4 players who are still on the Redskins roster. Yet the roster is 53 players strong. 48 of those spots have had to be filled by FAs, and very young undeveloped players. Out of those 4, two are starters. Ouch.

Considering the avg. stint in the NFL is 4 years, isn't it skewing the data to throw out the most recent 3 years?

I think you need to factor in the fact that "still on the Redskin roster" isn't solely a function of evaluating talent. Draft picks (& Free Agents) can be very successful, but the team fails to keep them when they come to the end of their rookie contract. That may be a failure of the FO to keep a vauluable player, or it may be a sign that they successfully value the player, but another team overpaid them.

I don't think you can lump in the Pierces with the Smoots and consider their departures both failures by the Redskins. I can't think of any other way to objectively separate them apart, either (where do you put Dockery, for example?), so I think "still in the league" is a better barometer to measure.

If you insist on looking at it this way, however, I suggest you do a comparison to another team that is credited for good drafting (like the Ravens or Pats), and see the % of draft picks (instead of # of picks)from more than 3 years ago that are still on their teams...that would be a good comparison to do.

Define 'involved'.

I know he has been with the Redskins for awhile and I know this is his first year where he really calls the shots, but do you know what year he started making a lot of decisions concerning the draft, like making the decision instead of Gibbs or Snyder?

My perdiction is that this is really his first year with in the driver's seat and in past years he let the coach pick

Great thread 21. Thanks to the guys contributing. I've often wondered why there's no convenient data base that tracks draft picks and FA per team over time and creates a comparative FO/personnel selection evaluation spreadsheet of some type.

Archived