Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2008 Redskins FA Thread -Look Here First!!!! (Mergezilla)

TK

It was, per the source, “very close” between the Redskins and the Bears. In the end, Briggs decided given the similarity of the numbers to stay home.

Factoring in the $7.2 million salary he earned as a franchise player in 2007, Briggs will earn $28.8 million over four years.

But I thought there was no way we could offer anything close to that, because according to moviedude25 and others of his ilk, we're in.................

CAP HELL!!!!??? (cue the scary,monster music)

When will some people learn.........

The real story here people is that our owner allowed the Redskins to be OUTBID by another team!!!

He's learning...

On a side note, I just want to say that ever since ST died, Dan has impressed me as a human being and as an owner learning to make adjustments in his way of doing business with our beloved Redskins.

I feel very good about the direction of this franchise for the first time under his watch.

Now if God truly favors us...Dallas will sign Randy Moss for insane money and he and TO will simultaneously kneecap each other and lock the 'Boys into a cap-full of dead money! :cheers:

Really surprised to see the news about Briggs. Was anyone here thinking we were players for him before PFT said we were? I know last year we made a big push for him but that was last year. Any one else surprised?

Edit, just seen JLC's report looks like PFT got it wrong again. They are always too quick to post :doh:

Really surprised to see the news about Briggs. Was anyone here thinking we were players for him before PFT said we were? I know last year we made a big push for him but that was last year. Any one else surprised?

Edit, just seen JLC's report looks like PFT got it wrong again. They are always too quick to post :doh:

opps maybe JLC was too fast to report also

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...1,4073733.story

Bears able to keep Briggs in fold

Linebacker says Berrian departure a key factor

By Vaughn McClure | Chicago Tribune staff reporter

10:42 PM CST, March 1, 2008

As Bernard Berrian sported his new Vikings purple Saturday night, Lance Briggs made sure the Bears weren't left feeling blue.

The Pro Bowl linebacker agreed to a six-year, $36 million deal to remain a Bear a couple of hours after his buddy Berrian received $16 million guaranteed to sign with Minnesota.

"I didn't think I was going to be a Chicago Bear. I actually thought I was headed to Washington," Briggs said from his home in Arizona. "At the last minute, my agent (Drew Rosenhaus) told me we had a deal with the Bears. We talked for a while, and I told him this was the deal that made sense.

"I'm not greedy. I'm not trying to knock something out of the park. All I wanted was what's fair. If it's fair, I'm happy."

The Bears upped their initial offer to Briggs on Friday, giving him a sense that a return to Chicago was possible. Briggs wasn't absolutely certain until early Saturday evening.

"Things were under wraps with my agent," Briggs said. "There was a lot of recruiting from the coaches. It just got to a point where my agent was hands-on. He did what he does."

Briggs declined to discuss how much money he received up front, but the deal likely was less than he initially expected when he hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent. His options narrowed as teams swallowed up less expensive linebackers. But the Bears became the best option as their budget suddenly expanded.

The real story here people is that our owner allowed the Redskins to be OUTBID by another team!!!

He's learning...

That's because we've HAD to learn. It is not about the Skins FO having "more sense" to allow ourselves to be outbid, rather is it more about we're having less cents twocents.gif to offer!

We just don't have the available salary cap space to win any kind of bidding war. Expect to see this happening more often.

Frankly, I expect the Skins can afford to make one or two "2nd-tier" FA signing (Hackett, and one of the following -- CB, Safety, DE/DT, or LB) and then spot signings of 3rd tier FAs for these positions of need.

Remember, we also have to save money for our draft picks too.

Am I the only one that believe that the Skins are freeing up money for a trade?

I mean, they aren't done restructuring contracts. This is mostly due to the lengthy coaching search. By mid week they will probably be around 8-10 mil under. What would they need 8-10 mil for? Discount FA will cost roughly 1-2 mil to this year's cap. The draft will cost roughly 2 mil. That will leave 4-5 mil available.

The eerie quiet of the Skins front office makes me believe that they are angling for a big trade. The rumors were out there with Chad Johnson. Roy Williams (WR) is rumored to be on the block and Randy Moss is still out there as a FA. WR is #1 priority for this team now that they got their man at Back-up QB and all of the pass rushing DT's are off the market.

After all is said and done the Skins will either trade for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams OR sign Randy Moss (less likely) and draft a DT and depth in April.

I just believe that Dan Snyder is that crackead that as just quit crack and needs his fix and will finally give into temptation.

Am I the only one that believe that the Skins are freeing up money for a trade?
I believe they are planning a couple splashes soon. With the probability of uncapped seasons on the doorstep it would be unSyderesque not to wager on a contract that blows up with guaranteed future money.
The rumors were out there with Chad Johnson. Roy Williams (WR) is rumored to be on the block and Randy Moss is still out there as a FA. WR is #1 priority for this team now that they got their man at Back-up QB and all of the pass rushing DT's are off the market.
I thought they'd have made a play at one of the DT's. I expect them to move on either a WR or DB soon. Moss would be a pipe dream.

I'm glad you put the (WR) next to Roy WIlliams.:silly:

I believe they are planning a couple splashes soon. With the probability of uncapped seasons on the doorstep it would be unSyderesque not to wager on a contract that blows up with guaranteed future money.

I thought they'd have made a play at one of the DT's. I expect them to move on either a WR or DB soon. Moss would be a pipe dream.

I'm glad you put the (WR) next to Roy WIlliams.:silly:

I just think that WR is a glaring need for this team and it couldn't have come at a better time. The entire offense is learning a new system so the WR that comes in would be at the same level with the rest of the offense.

I know it's been beaten to death but Chad Johnson would make the most sense. He has really good friends on the team in Moss and Portis. He would fit in with the players and would be learning with them instead of learning from them.

He's gotten a bad rap for blowing up on the sidelines and his antics in the endzone. He blew up once and his endzone antics are top notch. He'll have fun here with his boys and the press conferences on thursdays will be legendary.

(WR) Roy Williams is younger, but he did finish the season on IR and I simply would not be comfortable with him unless I knew he would fit in. Randy Moss probably wouldn't fit in as well, but damn, that dude is arguably the best receiver in the game. He would also have to come with a VERY HEFTY price tag.

I would rank them as such:

1. Chad Johnson

2. Randy Moss

3. Roy Williams

That's because we've HAD to learn. It is not about the Skins FO having "more sense" to allow ourselves to be outbid, rather is it more about we're having less cents twocents.gif to offer!

We just don't have the available salary cap space to win any kind of bidding war. Expect to see this happening more often.

Frankly, I expect the Skins can afford to make one or two "2nd-tier" FA signing (Hackett, and one of the following -- CB, Safety, DE/DT, or LB) and then spot signings of 3rd tier FAs for these positions of need.

Remember, we also have to save money for our draft picks too.

I just can't understand this kind of post. It seems like wilfull ignorance.

The same way the FO got us from the much-ballyhooed $20M over the cap to our current state, they could clear the space to pick up a splashy FA. Its really not that difficult to grasp, and there's an abundance of posts on this forum pointing out where this can be done.

If you wish to claim that the FO is sitting this out because they feel there simply aren't many FAs they want this year, and they would throw around money like a drunken sailor if there was a particular player they fell in love with, that argument might have some legs. But saying the FO has been quiet because they have to be, is not true.

I just can't understand this kind of post. It seems like wilfull ignorance.

The same way the FO got us from the much-ballyhooed $20M over the cap to our current state, they could clear the space to pick up a splashy FA. Its really not that difficult to grasp, and there's an abundance of posts on this forum pointing out where this can be done.

If you wish to claim that the FO is sitting this out because they feel there simply aren't many FAs they want this year, and they would throw around money like a drunken sailor if there was a particular player they fell in love with, that argument might have some legs. But saying the FO has been quiet because they have to be, is not true.

:applause: :notworthy

Couldn't have said it better myself

Archived