Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

snake eats family dog

skinslove<3

I had a buddy in college who lived on a lake in Florida. He said when his housing development was new, just about every family in the neighborhood lost their dog to aligators over a several month span.

The aligators come up on shore at night and sit with their mouths open. The dogs come up and bark at them they get too close.. whack.. My buddy said aligators are faster than dogs over short distances and actually run on their hind legs like people. Dog gets to close, that's all she wrote.

He had a picture of an Aligator like ten feet up in a tree climbing to get this cat.

Pretty wild.

I'm still in touch with my buddy. He calls me up every time it snows up here and says wouldn't you like to move to Florida. I always answer, "still got those man eating reptiles down there?".

OK reptile haters. I had many snakes as a kid. I had a Burmese Python that ate a neighbors cat. Now know this, she was a widow that had about 15 cats and my Pongo got out of my room ( I hated to keep him in his 75 gal. aquarium) . Long story short, her cats used to come into our garage to "have realtions", and Pongo siezed the opportunity.

Snakes are one of the most instinct driven animals on the planet.

INMO If your dog is that small in that environment. SORRY.

BTW, Pongo ended his days at UMD. They loved him and paid a pretty sum.

that is so sad... I have little dogs and I would be crushed if that happened. :(

Not as crushed as the dog I bet.

OK, so that wasn't nice, but it was just sitting there... much like a small rodent-like Mexican dog in front of a large hungry Australian snake...

~Bang

OK reptile haters. I had many snakes as a kid. I har A Burmese Python that ate a neighbors cat. Now know this, she was a widow that had about 15 cats and my Pongo got out of my room ( I hated to keep him in his 75 gal. aquarium) . Long story short, her cats used to come into our garage to "have realtions, and Pongo siezed the opportunity.

Snakes are one of the most instinct driven animals on the planet.

INMO If your dog is that small in that environment. SORRY.

BTW, Pongo ended his days at UMD. They loved him and paid a pretty sum.

Nature is a *****, no doubt about that. I think you're a little off-base to an extent though, depending on the circumstances. Owners of big snakes need to keep the snake confined or under some kind of control. It could have been worse and been one of those little kids hanging out of it's mouth.

I don't think aligators run on hind legs like people. If this is the case I think I would have seen it on animal planet or discovery by now.

Then you would be Aligator food....

Aligator top speed 30 mph..

http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/American_Alligator.asp

Human top speed

Just under 30 mph

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070520161128AAhY38X

I'm not saying they can outdistance humans. I'm saying their suprisingly quick over short periods and can catch cats, dogs, and even people. If you underestimate them, it just makes it easier for them.

And here is another one for ya..

gator.jpg

Alligator Kills Jogger...

http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2006/05/12/alligator-kills-jogger/

Miami - Construction workers in the American state of Florida have found the body of a woman, apparently attacked by an alligator while she was on a nightly jog. Yovy Suarez Jimenez, 28, was found floating in a canal in the small city of Sunrise on Wednesday, a day after witnesses said they saw an alligator drag her into the water. Wildlife officers were searching for what could be a 3m alligator, which has been spotted in the area.

Couldn't find any pictures of an alligator in trees on the net. But I saw one in Mobil in the newspaper back in 1985 going after a cat...

Nature is a *****, no doubt about that. I think you're a little off-base to an extent though, depending on the circumstances. Owners of big snakes need to keep the snake confined or under some kind of control. It could have been worse and been one of those little kids hanging out of it's mouth.

He never messed with my labs. He was confined, in our house, he wasn't in her garage, her cats were in our garage. It is inhumane to keep an 18 foot serpent confined all the time. It makes them mean.

It could have been worse and been one of those little kids hanging out of it's mouth.

You're not kidding.. That s*t happens..

python.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/24/1037697985131.html

Children terrified as python eats boy

A six-metre African rock python has eaten a boy near Durban - the first recorded "man-eating" incident for the species.

For three hours other children hid up mango trees near the township of Lamontville, too terrified to flee, as the snake first trapped the 10-year-old and squeezed the life out of him, then swallowed him whole.

Police and snake experts found no trace of the child, or his clothing. They found nothing but flattened grass and a trail leading down to a stream.

The incident last week prompted widespread panic among the township's 50,000 residents and great fascination among herpetologists across the country.

Eleven-year-old Khaye Buthelezi, who saw the extraordinary attack, was persuaded to revisit the site on Saturday.

His eyes darting nervously for signs of the python, Khaye showed where his companion had been gathering fallen fruit when taken by the giant snake.

"The snake quickly wrapped itself around his body, pinning his arms to his side. He didn't cry or scream and neither did the rest of us - we didn't want the snake to come and take us as well," Khaye said.

"The snake squeezed tighter and tighter around him until his eyes closed and his head fell back so I thought he was dead or had fainted. Then the snake's mouth opened very, very wide and started to swallow him from the head down - his clothes and everything. It all took about three hours because it was dark when we saw it slither away and we finally came down from the tree."

Snake experts and the police followed the python's trail to a nearby stream, which the herpetologists said the snake would have used as an easy route to get away to digest its prey.

Craig Smith, the owner of a snake park in Durban, is one of those trying to find the python. "The children I spoke to had excellent detail about the snake's markings and killing technique, which suggested that they were either reptile experts or had had the chance to watch something like this for a very long time," he said. "This will be the first time this species has been known to be a man-eater."

He said the snake had probably just woken from its winter hibernation and was extremely hungry when the boy wandered into its path. "We have never had a case of an African rock python eating a human, but they are very opportunistic eaters and the snake was obviously hungry enough to think it could cope with a child," Mr Smith said.

Snake hunts are being organised each day to locate the python, but locals have been told not to kill it, but call in the experts instead.

Then you would be Aligator food....

Aligator top speed 30 mph..

http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/American_Alligator.asp

Human top speed

Just under 30 mph

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070520161128AAhY38X

I'm not saying they can outdistance humans. I'm saying their suprisingly quick over short periods and can catch cats, dogs, and even people. If you underestimate them, it just makes it easier for them.

And here is another one for ya..

gator.jpg

Alligator Kills Jogger...

http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2006/05/12/alligator-kills-jogger/

Couldn't find any pictures of an alligator in trees on the net. But I saw one in Mobil in the newspaper back in 1985 going after a cat...

I never said that they weren't fast. I said I don't believe that they get up on hind legs and run like a human, which your friend said.

It's time to panic. First dogs, then kids, before long it will be adult humans.

Luckily the SF Chronicle is watching out for us:

New threat to our way of life: giant pythons

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/02/21/MNABV5PP3.DTL

At 20 miles a month, a determined Burmese python from Florida could arrive in San Francisco as early as August 2020.

"It would be exceptional for one animal to be that unidirectional in its movement, but it's mathematically possible," Rodda said.

The snake's cross-country crawl would be made easier by the large population of beavers along the way, Rodda said.

"Beavers would be a very tasty treat for them," Rodda said. "No beaver would be safe from a python.":laugh:

The natural enemies of the python are lions, tigers and other large cats. There are few free-roaming African lions and tigers between Florida and San Francisco, the geological survey said. And the absence of alligators outside Florida can only help the snakes on their journey west, although it's a complicated relationship - while pythons eat alligators, alligators also eat pythons.

"A large alligator will eat a small python," Rodda said. "But we are not recommending you import alligators into California. That would not be a good idea."

The snakes also like to eat rodents, deer and other mammals. Small Florida deer have been turning up inside the digestive tracts of Everglades pythons, which has alarmed deer lovers and also the deer.

As for other potential prey, human beings - like rodents, beavers and deer - are mammals, government scientists confirmed.

:laugh:

Used to have a couple 4-5 ft boas when I lived in Santa Barbara.

Snakes are real, real hard to confine. Ours would sneak out of the tank through holes so small we could hardly see them. We finally caught on to their hiding spots though, we'd always find em hiding in the big house speakers. Guess they liked the bass. :)

Archived