Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Albert the Skins need you.....

Samuels

Heard Vinny say today they are looking to upgrade the o-line thru the draft hopefully they are looking to draft the best upgrade possible.

The Washington Redskins with the 21st selection in the 2008 NFL draft select Branden Albert OG from the University of Virginia.. :notworthy

I think i'll go thru the roof.

wear heavy shoes on draft day;) then pray for jordy to stick around til the 3rd!:applause: :cheers:

wear heavy shoes on draft day;) then pray for jordy to stick around til the 3rd!:applause: :cheers:

Amen to that but i don't have that much confidence in the leaders of this football team.

I can't get over the people clamoring for Sweed and Calais do these people even watch college football?? :doh:

o and d line help is a must

Thats the thing you draft Albert rd1 and can it a day on the o-line. It would give us 2 very good young prospects in Albert and Heyer. Heyer has played LT and RT. Albert can play either guard or tackle spot it gives this team a nice foundation for the future.

And allows free agency and the rest of the draft to get whatever d-lineman they desire because its defintely a need.

Amen to that but i don't have that much confidence in the leaders of this football team.

I can't get over the people clamoring for Sweed and Calais do these people even watch college football?? :doh:

Calais I can understand...but what exactly do you have against Sweed?

Calais I can understand...but what exactly do you have against Sweed?

Honestly i'm a huge fan of drafting the sure thing. I was huge for Winslow but ST was fine. I wanted LL bad, the same with Albert this year.

Sweed to me has never put up impressive numbers even this year before he hurt his wrist his numbers were pedestrian. I have watched him in previous years and honestly i only rewatched 1 of his games this year. He is the classic long strider that takes alittle bit to get going like our very own Rod Gardner from years back. They will run decent 40 times but struggle in and out of breaks and to get seperation. To me its really a quickness issue i noticed with him and he does'nt play has fast has his 4.48 40 would indicate.

Look at Jordy Nelson for example very quick in and out of his breaks and plays way faster then Sweed on tape. Sweed ran a 4.48 and Jordy ran a 4.49 thier is no way you could watch both play and honestly think Sweed is anywhere near has fast has Jordy.

Look at Wes Welker its the quickness and seperation ability that makes most good Wr's in this league. Another good example Boldin ran a 4.7 40 but has outstanding start and stop speed and gets great seperation.

i agree whole heartedly. as the oline goes so goes this team and offense. we've ignored it for far too long. get albert and the guard from oregon and we're much stronger and happy.the guard from oregon can probably be gotten in the 3rd but albert will go late first early second. that's why if by chance we do trade for d hall we also swap 2nds with the falcons.by the way, why haven't the skins redone springs contract ?he's way over paid at 7 to 8 million.as for dt , larry tripplett is available and can be had rather cheap.odom was signed but the begals so our de will probably have to come out of the draft. i like merling, harvey, or campbell.we could also p/u cb f bryant and resign macklin with hall, springs, smoot bryant, rogers (IN NOV.) with demps as a possible safety depth.they've got some decisions to make.

i agree whole heartedly. as the oline goes so goes this team and offense. we've ignored it for far too long. get albert and the guard from oregon and we're much stronger and happy.the guard from oregon can probably be gotten in the 3rd but albert will go late first early second. that's why if by chance we do trade for d hall we also swap 2nds with the falcons.by the way, why haven't the skins redone springs contract ?he's way over paid at 7 to 8 million.as for dt , larry tripplett is available and can be had rather cheap.odom was signed but the begals so our de will probably have to come out of the draft. i like merling, harvey, or campbell.we could also p/u cb f bryant and resign macklin with hall, springs, smoot bryant, rogers (IN NOV.) with demps as a possible safety depth.they've got some decisions to make.

Skins haven't redone Springs contract because Springs doesn't want to be paid less money and the Skins are is desperately in need of his services. We all know that the Oline needs additional young talent. But a 6'7" Guard in the first round? Albert's as big as a tackle. I'd be happy if the Skins picked up OL talent in round 3. That's Dockery area. Skins can find a nimble Guard in the 3rd and 4th rounds. The WCO doesn't really need dominant Guards but Skins are still planning on using the old running schemes so WHO KNOWS?

I just saw/heard a blurb about him on ESPN from Mel Kiper. Basically he highlighted that he is a very solid pick, is versatile enough to catch passes in the redzone, and can also play tackle if need be. He ended it saying that he would be a good fit with the Steelers at pick 23. Im a Wahoo fan and have been watching him for 3 years. If he is still on the board at #21 we HAVE to draft him. He will actually probably be the best player available anyways. I would be shocked if he wasnt drafted before we get to pick, but i really really really hope if he is we grab him. His 2nd year he allowed only 1 sack in 12 games which he started in each game. Here are some career highlights at UVA....

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1133477&SPSID=88799&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800

^ Which is why at #21, if still there, he is agreat value pick.

He will be at least a 'good' Guard which is worth the pick and the 15m or so contract. Add in that he may become a 'great' Guard or even LT AND that we really need one of the position he plays and it's a no brainer to me.

bugel likes guys who can play more than one position. you get him and we a) have a terrific pulling guard and B) we only have to draft a center that can play guard and we are set on o-line; doing the preceding can let vinny draft our 2-5 round picks on the dline and db's.

for the wr wanters... we could draft jordy or trade next years picks for a stud and fill that need. jordy is the possesion guy... we could trade picks for next year to get a limas sweed if he falls into the second, or get adrian arrington... either way, we'll get another skilled big wr.

albert all the way.

We all know that the Oline needs additional young talent. But a 6'7" Guard in the first round? Albert's as big as a tackle. I'd be happy if the Skins picked up OL talent in round 3. That's Dockery area. Skins can find a nimble Guard in the 3rd and 4th rounds. The WCO doesn't really need dominant Guards but Skins are still planning on using the old running schemes so WHO KNOWS?

According to Mayock, Albert is THE best guard in this class by a significant margin. We need to get a guard of his caliber IMO because he can likely start immediately and contribute at a high level something we need desperately. We have to get some quality young bodies out there PA - have to. This is urgent.

We have no capable backup center that I am aware of and Casey has been battling groin injuries for a while. Randy was lost all last year as was Jansen and obviously they're not getting any younger also. I think it would be nuts to pass on Albert personally if he's there. I think he and Samuels would be great on the left side. We also might have the right side of our line solidified too for the future. Heyer and Albert taking over on the right sounds quite nice.

I think we just need a raw talent guy that can be had later. The key is coaching and Bugel knows how to coach guys up so there is no need to reach for a guard at #21. Almost all draft picks have question marks especially past the top 10 and the key is coaching. Look at how well Montgomery and Golston have played from deep in the draft because of coaching. Let's get high talent guy like Devin Thomas that cannot be taught like blocking.

I know the problem with trading down is that "everybody wants to trade down", but doesn't that apply more to the Top 10?

How about trading down from the Bottom 10 (would be Bottom 11 if Patriots still had their pick) so we wouldn't be "reaching" for Brandon Albert? After all, we do have a lot of positions of need (depth on both lines, defensive back, linebacker, and so on) but not really enough players that justify a first round pick...

I'm on the bandwagon for Alberts. When push comes to shove, he's the best Guard in the draft and if you've seen what guards are making on the open market, he would be a cheap addition that we could lock up for 3 to 4 years and he could start from day one.

We have no youth on our OL aside from Heyer and I don't expect him to start unless neccessary.

if we trade down, I almost bet Albert won't be there. For those that want lesser talent, I just don't get it, wouldn't you rather get a guy that can play right away, and solidfy at least one O-line position for say 3-5 Years? Also coaching up DTs is a bit different then coaching up O-Lines that have to know how to block many different ways, and deal with different defensive sets. I'd love Albert at #21, it would be a smart move, and in a pinch we can bring Kendal in on our Jumbo Packages, and pull with Albert if need be.

we should only trade down if it seems albert is there.

based on what we need (see jason being our franchise QB), i think we should invest as much as possible in jason not getting sacked, thus progresssion, as in the second round of the playoffs....

or a bye.

I'll bet you $100 that Albert is long gone by our round 2 pick. He probably won't be there for our first. He tore it up at the combine, and he was generally regarded as the top guard before that.

I think perhaps he was saying that, because he felt Albert could be the perft bait for a trade, not that he thinks he'll be there at our 2nd Pick.

Archived