Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Redskins Hire Stump Mitchell (MERGED)

bigswanny

Didn't see this anywhere so I decided to post it.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-5-403/Redskins-land-Mitchell-from-Seattle.html

Redskins land Mitchell from Seattle icon_report_hi.gif

February 12, 2008 7:38 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Stump Mitchell and the Washington Redskins reached agreement this afternoon on a two-year contract. Mitchell joins Jim Zorn's staff as assistant head coach/running backs. The Seahawks had been reluctant to let Mitchell, their running backs coach since 1999, leave on a lateral move. The "assistant head coach" portion of the title makes this a promotion.

Zorn identified Mitchell and Tennessee Titans assistant Sherman Smith as coaches he wanted to add to his new staff. There is nothing official on Smith yet -- he was expected to have dinner with Zorn tonight -- but Mitchell is leaving the Seahawks to join the Redskins.

Looks like that "title" got around the Seahawks not wanting him to go. They really like that guy around here. Mack Strong said the guy made his career a lot longer and better than it would have been.

I'll miss Byner. Good luck, EB. You did us proud. :applause: :point2sky :notworthy

Wow, I thought we were through with the "Assistant Head Coach" nonsense once Saunders and Williams were shipped out of here. Guess that's the price of prying qualified people from their current jobs for a lateral move. Also, I guess this means Buges retains the "Assistant Head Coach - Offensive Line" title instead of just being an "Offensive Line Coach".

Whatever. As long as everyone knows who the boss is, it'll be okay. That boss, of course, being Snyderatto (I kid, I kid).

Still, hopefully the Skins can get Smith in as well. A rookie head coach can use as many people he can trust as possible just starting off.

Should be an interesting offseason, more than usual for the Washington Redskins.

Byner was a guy that came to Washington from Baltimore specifically to work for Joe Gibbs, his coach in Super Bowl XXVI.

I am not surprised that he is leaving. He really doesn't have a sponsor within the organization any longer and was exposed when Williams/Saunders were let go.

Zorn, Stump, Sherman...

I am liking the staff.. just not the names! :laugh:

Sounds like geek football. :) Just kidding. I think these guys are great hires and with Zorn being able to assemble the staff he has I think we are headed in a new era of Redskin's football.

Archived