Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Redskins Hire Stump Mitchell (MERGED)

bigswanny

I don't really think it's cool to shuffle Byner off like this. He was a big part of that Superbowl team and has been a loyal Redskin in his coaching career. I hope he finds a position with another team.

I hope Byner does well in the future as well. However I have no problem with letting him go. Keeping him on the coaching staff simply because he was a good player for us a decade ago would foolish. If we're going to have a new coach and a new offense we can't half ass it. Let Zorn bring in his guys to teach his system. If Stump Mitchell is an upgrade then have at it. Portis and Betts have been mediocre in ypc and touchdowns in their time in Washington. With the talent we have loaded at RB we need to see better production. Hopefully Stump Mitchell is the man for the job.

...Zorn identified Mitchell and Tennessee Titans assistant Sherman Smith as coaches he wanted to add to his new staff. There is nothing official on Smith yet -- he was expected to have dinner with Zorn tonight -- but Mitchell is leaving the Seahawks to join the Redskins.

I mentioned the Smith move a few days ago....200-some views and no responses. :mad:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237944

CP knows the west coast system. He was drafted by denver , and they ran the west coast O. Mike Shanahan was there Head Coach. He learned( Mike shanahan) The West Coast offense From Bill Walsh,when Mike was an Assistant Coach for the 49ers.

Bill Walsh is the "God Father" of the West Coast Offense.

Don't forget that Portis produced some monster numbers under this system too!!!!!

Does he teach golf?

537b3624.jpg

How no one quoted this is beyond me. This move is worth it just for this resulting post.

Out with the old... I wish Byner well but Zorn deserves to pick SOMETHING. Alexander, Mack, Weaver, Morris all experienced some level of success in Seattle. The problem was the line was (is) more geared towards pass protection. When the hawks would run up the middle on 3rd and short, it wasn't pretty.

Holmgren made the right move and ditched the run game and catered the playcalling to the abilities of his team. I don't think it was a slight on the RB coach, more on the toughness of the line.

How no one quoted this is beyond me. This move is worth it just for this resulting post.

Out with the old... I wish Byner well but Zorn deserves to pick SOMETHING. Alexander, Mack, Weaver, Morris all experienced some level of success in Seattle. The problem was the line was (is) more geared towards pass protection. When the hawks would run up the middle on 3rd and short, it wasn't pretty.

Holmgren made the right move and ditched the run game and catered the playcalling to the abilities of his team. I don't think it was a slight on the RB coach, more on the toughness of the line.

i agree it will be really good for Zorn to have a support system, Stump and Smith(if he signs) would be a great support system for Zorn to lean on

I don't really think it's cool to shuffle Byner off like this. He was a big part of that Superbowl team and has been a loyal Redskin in his coaching career. I hope he finds a position with another team.

I would say he would probably be more loyal to the ravens but thats my hunch

that was because Alexander had become innefective this season

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, sorry if its a re-post. Looks like Byner's out of work for now.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-5-403/Redskins-land-Mitchell-from-Seattle.htm

Not sure why the link won't work, but here's the article:

"Redskins land Mitchell from Seattle icon_report_hi.gif

February 12, 2008 7:38 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Stump Mitchell and the Washington Redskins reached agreement this afternoon on a two-year contract. Mitchell joins Jim Zorn's staff as assistant head coach/running backs. The Seahawks had been reluctant to let Mitchell, their running backs coach since 1999, leave on a lateral move. The "assistant head coach" portion of the title makes this a promotion.

Zorn identified Mitchell and Tennessee Titans assistant Sherman Smith as coaches he wanted to add to his new staff. There is nothing official on Smith yet -- he was expected to have dinner with Zorn tonight -- but Mitchell is leaving the Seahawks to join the Redskins."

Archived