Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tyree's Catch-Greatest EVER???

WashingtonFederals

I'm asking all MB's of all NFL teams this question:

Although I'm a Giants fan, I still don't think it was the GREATEST catch in NFL history...

I still like when Swann laid out and tipped the ball back to himself, vs the Cowboys...

There wasn't much difficulty in Dwight Clark's catch, but it was still a beautiful pass...

Your opinions???

Although I'm a Giants fan, I still don't think it was the GREATEST catch in NFL history...

I still like when Swann laid out and tipped the ball back to himself, vs the Cowboys...

There wasn't much difficulty in Dwight Clark's catch, but it was still a beautiful pass...

Your opinions???

No. I don't even consider it ONE of the greatest CATCHES ever.

However, I do consider it ONE of the greatest PLAYS ever once you consider the other factors that happened such as Eli making a miracle escape, and the fact that it happened on the biggest stage in the winding minutes of the 4th quarter versus a Goliath opponent.

The catch on it's own great, but not an all time great. I think it's the whole play has to be considered. The fact that Eli some how evaded numerous sack attempts makes the play one of the greatest plays of all time. If it had been for a TD, then it would be a definite winner.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. The catch itself was impressive but it wasn't the best ever, Far from it. The play as a whole though could go down as one of the best ever. You have to factor in the whole play with what not only Tyree did but Eli Manning as well.

Edited: I thought it only right that a link to the play be posted in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtN_ooMjpvk

did everyone seriously forget "The Tackle"?

in the rams vs titans superbowl... Kevin Dyson gets tackled INCHES short of the touchdown where they were down by 23-16 by Mike Jones...

Comon. this was an amazing last second tackle on the last possible yard where dyson's arm was stretched out and still didnt make it.

6 seconds left, on the 10 yard line? no? nothing?

a well, this is my top play of all superbowl time.

It was on third and five. If he drops the ball it is just fourth and five. Riggins scoring the go-ahead on fourth and one is greater.

I agree. Riggo's run is STILL the greatest play in Super Bowl history. Steve Sabol of NFL Films has now changed his mind on that. He has been saying all this time that Riggo's run held that spot. But now he has changed it to Tyree's catch. OK, but what if the Giants hadn't scored? At least Riggo's run was a go ahead TD.

Your opinions???

It was a great catch at a clutch time in the game, and it turned the game for the Giants. So it's understandable why many want to laud it as "the greatest," but truthfully I think Toomer's 30-some yard catch on the sideline earlier in the game was just as awesome.

']I think you are looking at this the wrong way. The catch itself was impressive but it wasn't the best ever' date=' Far from it. The play as a whole though could go down as one of the best ever. You have to factor in the whole play with what not only Tyree did but Eli Manning as well.

Edited: I thought it only right that a link to the play be posted in this thread:

[url']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtN_ooMjpvk[/url]

Tom, thanks for the video post. After watching it again, I didn't realize that there was a moment there when he only had one hand on the ball, and that was holding the ball to his helmet. I mean, ONE HAND, with Harrison all over him. It was a pretty amazing display of concentration. :applause:

Greatest catch in NFL history? You could absolutely make a case for it, the stage, the stakes, the timing and finally the catch itself all add up to something spectacular. But it's not clear cut. As for the "Play?" No question in my mind it is, and apparently no question in Steve Sabol's mind either, he seems to agree it was the greatest play in Super Bowl history, and I think that guy knows a thing or two about Super Bowls...

No. I don't even consider it ONE of the greatest CATCHES ever.

However, I do consider it ONE of the greatest PLAYS ever once you consider the other factors that happened such as Eli making a miracle escape, and the fact that it happened on the biggest stage in the winding minutes of the 4th quarter versus a Goliath opponent.

But he caught it on his helmet! AND considering those other factors that you stated, it was a catch he absolutely had to make and did.

I think it is wrong to look at just the catch. Steve Sabol, NFL Films, described the play as the Greatest Play in Super Bowl History. He has been to every Super Bowl and have seen all the plays numerous times, so who am I to argue.

As far the catch goes, it is hard to argue whether it is the greatest or not. Tyree caught the ball and as it was being knocked out of his hands by Harrison, he pressed it against his helmet with one hand until he gained control of himself. Then Tyree regained the ball with both his hands and kept it away from Harrison until he was down on the ground, that in itself was remarkable,

Archived