Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

And our next coach is...someone you haven't yet heard about.

Art

You're probably right. But as I mentioned later in my post, even if it's not Vermeil, I think the likelihood is increasing that there's someone else out there we're talking to or considering.

You know, I like the idea that it could be a college coach. The reason why is that it makes sense that he'd have a staff at the ready. One of the big negatives about Spurrier's staff was the poor choice of assistants on offense (Kim Helton, anyone?)

It also makes me wonder if John Palermo reported hiring is somehow related.

Jason

I noted in other threads that maybe we never knew who the mystery candidate was. So I wouldn't be hugely surprised. It might also be that none of the candidates stood out through the interview process. Could simply be that there isn't a good candidate available. So he is wrestling with what to do. All I know is I'd prefer he take his time and try to make the best decision he can. If it's Fassel, I'm allright with that. He's taking way too much heat on this site.

Seeing as how we've parsed just about about every candidate from Aasimov to Zwick over the past 5 weeks, no matter who the hire ends up being, SOMEONE is going to bump a thread in which they nailed it. :)

That said ... no, I wouldn't be surprised if the final answer is one we didn't see coming either.

Get thee back spawn of Snyder (according to a respected news source WCP) :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised, but I think Snyder has learned from Gibbs and to take his time and do his due diligence.

That being said maybe Joe Gibbs comes back? :D

Art, here's a name that would fit your theory to a T:

Dick Vermeil.

There was a hint of talk about Vermeil coming here that leaked out very early in this process, but it didn't grow legs. Could Snyder see Vermeil as a Gibbs-style caretaker?

Hearing that the "big three" remaining candidates (Mooch, Fassel, Meeks) have not yet been contacted by the team after ending talks with Spags, the likelihood of an as-of-yet unreported candidate would seem to grow.

I'm just throwing Vermeil out there as a possibility, but whoever it might be...yes, I'm starting to believe there is someone else out there. Otherwise, I'd say Fassel would already have the job.

LOL I just said that in post #33. Anyway the names thrown out here are better than Buddy Ryan or Jerry Glanville. If they put either of those two in then they've totally lost it. To a lesser extent Sam Wyche would most certainly raise eyebrows.

Dan very well could be trying to wear Cowher down and has talked to him in between interviews trying to get him to come out of retirement. I truly believe he was the heir apparent to JG after his original contract ran out for next season. You could see that Snyder was as shocked as everyone else when he made his speech at the JG's resignation announcement on camera. Snyder didn't know anyone else to turn to other than his old buddy Vinny.

I imagine the new coach will be announced very quickly.

It's too late for that. Even if they announced it today, it would be far from quick.

I'm with you though, in that a surprise, any surprise would be interesting. I have my doubts though. I'm beginning to think it's taking so long because none of the candidates he has interviewed has fully met his criteria or wowed him, and he's having a hard time deciding whether to go with the BCA (best coach available) from those he interviewed, or looking for new candidates.

As far as Grimm is concerned,I am pretty certian a team doesn't need permission to talk with a candidate who is being interviewed for a promotion. Therefore the skins would not ask permission since they want to keep the whole thing secret. We didn't ask permission to speak with Schwartz, Meeks, Spagnuola, etc. It was just that the info was leaked so Art is right the new hire could come out of nowhere. I just find it highly unlikely that with all the snooping of the media and anonymous sources out there that we wouldn't find out. You would think there would be a story about Grimm being contacted and asked directly and him denying it.

It's too late for that. Even if they announced it today, it would be far from quick.

I'm with you though, in that a surprise, any surprise would be interesting. I have my doubts though. I'm beginning to think it's taking so long because none of the candidates he has interviewed has fully met his criteria or wowed him, and he's having a hard time deciding whether to go with the BCA (best coach available) from those he interviewed, or looking for new candidates.

That probably means he will go with an interim coach. The Head Coaching search will be continued after next season.

The main issue that throws this whole situation out of whack is the fact that we've already named the two top Coordinators. That implies that a candidate was already tapped who bought in to both of them. That would point to Fassel he wanted Zorn as his OC. However if Fassel is the choice why the wait now in announcing him?

I'm thinking that Fassel was the man a few weeks ago. Someone told Snyder to wait and see who would emerge from the Super Bowl. Snyder then fully expected Spags to sign not realizing that Spags was only using the Skins as leverage against the Giants. Now Spags in gone and the bloom is off of Fassel and Snyder is left scrambling to find another candidate. There's no other reason to not have signed someone by now (mystery candidate or not). Valuable time is ticking away while other teams are prepping for free agency and the draft and game planning for next season.

I've been saying (for several days in the aircraft tracking thread) that a surprise is coming. I have no evidence to support my claim - it's based on a hunch and what DS has done in the past.

Also, the media has said that Fassel, Meeks, Mooch, and Spags were the finalists. I never heard the FO mention who the finalists are at this point.

And the beat goes on...

I think you are overthinking it. Or am I overthinking your overthinking of it....

Regardless, I just dont see it. You assume that if the next coach is a mystery candidate, its because Snyder is doing due process. Then why havent we seen multiple interviews? Surely its not due process to at the last second, hire some mystery candidate without so much as more than a couple hours of talks. Why the 3-4 interviews with Fassil if there wasnt legitimate interest? Why the hiring of all of the assistant coaches?

It comes back to that. All of the assistant coaches have been fired and hired, the serious candidates have all been interviewed multiple times. Either we will know about a mystery candidate well before the hiring, or Snyder will make a huge mistake and hire someone he didnt do due diligence on, and whos so willing for a job hes willing to take anything. I think we would all like to think that there is some other candidate out there, but all the evidence points otherwise. At this point its a pipe dream.

I'm beginning to think it's taking so long because none of the candidates he has interviewed has fully met his criteria or wowed him, and he's having a hard time deciding whether to go with the BCA (best coach available) from those he interviewed, or looking for new candidates.

If this is the case I owe DS an apology. That would be a big queue...

Jim Tressel would be the only college coach that would excite me.

Not just because I think he could be successful at this level, but also that I'm a HUGE Penn State fan and I'm sick of the Buckeyes owning us every year.

Please no one from the little 10.

Tressel plays no one....then gets exposed for what he is when he does play a big game---A total farce.

I've stated several times that I think it's been Fassel all along. I think Snyder did react to the fans' reaction and decided to slow down the process, but I don't think he ever really wavered from Fassel. We all know he liked Fassel four years ago. All the other interviews were just so Snyder could tell the fans and media that he did his due diligence and make it look like he wasn't trigger happy.

Right now, what would be worse? Hiring Fassel, or hiring the guys Fassel recommended or okayed to be the coordinators and then NOT hiring Fassel?

To me, the latter would be worse at this point (Edit: I should clarify - I mean to say that the latter move would make Snyder look worse, not that I don't want that to happen).

Hail,

H

This goes somewhat against my earlier post but another theory would be that we're negotiating with someone who has other contract issues involved. Those issues would have to be resolved prior to annoucing the signing (like a head coach from another team). Might explain the delay and mystery nature of the discussions. Also might explain why the staff has largely been put in place before the announcement.

The forgotten candidate... Jim Schwartz

His contract extension should not be a barrier.

Oldfan, just out of curiosity, why Schwartz? I think he's been the DC at Tenn for the last 3 years and his defenses were terrible up until this past season. He didn't inherit a bad defense either as they were rated in the top 10 prior to Schwartz taking over.

I respect your opinions here and it's killing me as to why you're high on this guy. I just don't see it but then again, I don't see anything in any of the candidates interviewed thus far.

Archived