Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official - Do You Support Jim Zorn Thread ('nother merge)

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Did GW really stab Joe Gibbs in the Back??  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Did GW really stab Joe Gibbs in the Back??

• GW did not say anything bad about Joe Gibbs in his interview, the Media made this rumor up
    • GW did not say anything bad about Joe Gibbs in his interview, Dan and Vinny made this rumor up
    • GW did say something bad about Joe Gibbs in his interview
    • I don't even care anymore!!!!

Since this is official, I'm wondering what us fans are leaning towards at this time. Zorn, or are you too pissed off that we let Saunders go?

Per Wikipedia, his playing career:

Jim Zorn is closely associated with his favorite passing target, Hall of Fame wide receiver Steve Largent. Largent was the first Seahawk inducted into the team's "Ring of Honor" (1989), and Zorn was second (1991). Zorn was named AFC Offensive Rookie of the Year following the team's inaugural 1976 season, and was also the Seahawks' team MVP.

He was succeeded by Dave Krieg midway through the 1983 season, the year the Seahawks first made the NFL playoffs. Zorn stayed with the team as the back-up quarterback through the 1984 season.

Zorn then played a season with the Green Bay Packers (1985), another with the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1986), and one final year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987. In the NFL, Zorn threw for 21,115 yards and 111 touchdowns, completing 53% of his passes. He also ran for another 17 TD's.

Per Wikipedia, his coaching career:

After his playing career concluded, Zorn returned to college football as an assistant coach. His first stop was at Boise State, where he was the quarterbacks coach from 1988-91. Zorn then served as the offensive coordinator for Utah State from 1992-94; and the quarterbacks coach for Minnesota from 1995-96.

Zorn moved up to the pro coaching ranks in 1997-98 as an offensive assistant for the Seahawks under Dennis Erickson and the next two years (1998-2000) as the quarterbacks coach for the Detroit Lions. He returned to the Seahawks in 2001 as their quarterbacks coach, and retained that position through the 2007 season.

me: Quarterbacks at Seattle mean only one thing....Matt Hasselbeck's control over his quick recievers in the west coast offense...do we have quick recievers? We have 2 of them! But they are reaching the peak of their careers...does Zorn adapt quickly enough to make them as good as Seattle's receiving corps, also?

The best litmus test I know of, as far as Zorn is concerned, is Seattle's desire to have kept him. When your previous employer doesn't want you to leave, that's a good thing.

From the clips I've seen, it looks like he was a talented, gutsy player, and he appears to be a motivator as a coach. Those are also good things. :)

Most importantly, when the 2008 season rolls around, Jim Zorn will be wearing a burgundy and/or gold polo; and that alone makes him worth rooting for in my book.

WELCOME TO WASHINGTON, COACH! NOW GO GETCHA SOME!!!!!! :helmet:

The best litmus test I know of, as far as Zorn is concerned, is Seattle's desire to have kept him. When your previous employer doesn't want you to leave, that's a good thing.

From the clips I've seen, it looks like he was a talented, gutsy player, and he appears to be a motivator as a coach. Those are also good things. :)

Most importantly, when the 2008 season rolls around, Jim Zorn will be wearing a burgundy and/or gold polo; and that alone makes him worth rooting for in my book.

WELCOME TO WASHINGTON, COACH! NOW GO GETCHA SOME!!!!!! :helmet:

Thank you for saying what my mind could just not bring itself to saying.:laugh:

I said I support him and I like his hiring. I think Campbell will excel in the WCO.

I feel bad for Saunders though cause he totally got dicked over by the management.

Completely agree with this post. I wouldn't have minded at all seeing Saunders calling his offense, without interference (and I don't mean that as an insult at all) from a guy who was used to calling his own.

I think this is a good hire though, and I agree that Campbell should do well in his offense.

The last two years we were below average offensively. I understand the logic for change. I'm all for anything that will help us win. He seems like he will be great for Jason's developement so thats also a plus.

I think Campbell was struggling to learn that bajillion page playbook.

Collins had years to master it. Campbell barely had a year.

Saunders was alright but maybe now Campbell can show what he's really made of.

Ill say it again here...I thunk our personnel are better suited for WCO. Great Hire.

Really? Where are our tall, possession receivers?

Has Campbell shown the prowess to throw accurately for short distances with a quick 3 step drop? His deep throw is his bread and butter.

Zorn's hiring is a square peg for a round hole. But its all moot without really having a HC anyways. Bring on Fassel! :mad:

Who Cares, If your a Redskins fan you support the Redskins. No matter who the coaches, owners or players are. It's simple you can't turn on and turn off your support if you do then you are not truly a fan.

No matter if it's Fassel, Williams, Carroll or the 3rd Alternate Chair for the United Nations as coach, oc, dc or whatever I will support them.

I guess change is now official. Up until now there was always the possibility that Snyder could fall back to Williams and maybe even Saunders, too. But with Zorn coming on board, let alone the talk of Williams withdrawing his name, everything is now set to change.

Am I excited? Yeah, I think so. If we were going to blow everything up (i.e. move away from the Joe Gibbs foundation of Williams/Saunders), and not that I wanted to (I hoped we wouldn't), but if we were going to blow it all up, there were two ways to do it: a high-profile, big-money coach, or an unknown, up-and-comer.

I can't help my biases. I see the latter as the type of coach the smart GMs are attracted to. I mean, you can't look at Zorn's resume and get goosebumps; there's nothing there. And, to me, that can only mean, right or wrong, that Zorn came with glowing recommendations, killed the interview, and is borderline starving for the opportunity. And yeah, that's the kind of coach I want. Not a Cowher. Not a re-tread.

The thing is, though, I never thought that Snyder and Vinny were capable of such a decision. Look at Snyder's hiring choices: Steve Spurrier, Marty Schottenheimer, and Joe Gibbs out of retirement. Huge splashes. Big names. Big money. Cowher fits the bill. Zorn does not. And, yet... we hired Zorn. So am I excited about Zorn? Yeah, I think I am.

I'm expecting that Zorn's hiring means we're also getting what's-his-name from Tennessee, the guy JLC reported on. And yeah, I assume that means we also get Fassel at the top. I admit I'm not super excited about that last name, but I see him as transitional, similar to the Wade Phillips situation. Besides, what's to say Fassel can't succeed with two quality coordinators and a spend-happy owner? All he needs to do is guide the ship, instill confidence and discipline, and bring his experience to the assistant coaches.

Bottom line? Even though I didn't want it, I saw it coming. Gibbs didn't trust the offense or offensive coaches. Williams was grating (interesting, his comments about being a better people-person now thanks to Gibbs). We had 87 ex-head coaches in assistant roles. We played not to lose. And we coddled players despite awful-to-poor performances so long as they played/practiced their guts out, and were leaders and good people (which I can actually agree with to an extent).

Yeah, it's all blown up. New coaches will bring new players. New coaches at the top bring new assistants. It's time for some serious change. But the Zorn hiring? It makes me optimistic. I think Snyder is a better owner now than he has been at any point in the past. I think Snyder saw that Gibbs righted the ship but that we needed to start over, one last time, to get the ship moving in the right direction. So long as my assessment is accurate, I can remain patient with the process.

Archived