Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do players become a REDSKIN only for the money?

pR0JEkT 21

are you joking? he's enjoying playing behind a HOF player like favre. HE knows favre wont be playing much longer and he is enjoying it while he can, hell i would.

Even though it does kill you to not start everygame being a competitor but oyu have to realie if you arent ready you gotta tep back until you are. and if that means learning behind a great player so be it.

Look at matt hassellback, he was in rodgers position too.

while you have a point, i have to play devils advocate on this one.

Players that make it to the NFL, 9 times out of 10 were the best of the best growing up (high school, college) they had to have success in order to be there. This ultimately will put a sense of confidence in someone, therefore they want to go out, and be the best. You cant really use Brett Favre/Aaron Rogers because of the fact that Brett Favre is not like most other players in the NFL.

I agree with you. Most people would be more then happy to be sitting on the bench watching Favre's career take place, any normal person would. But professional football players arent "normal people." The majority of them havent experienced life like we have, so you cant act like you know what they are thinking. I know that if I, personally, were to be out there, i would want to prove that i'm better then the best... so sitting on the bench would drive me nuts

As much as I don't like to admit it, the players go here for the $$, just like how they would to any other team who would offer it. If they have the kind of $$ to pay what they're asking, if they feel like giving it to them (which was usually the case during the past couple of years), they'd give it to them.

But, it may be that the 'skins are smartening up a little bit. If they make too much of a splash in free agency this year, with little money left on the cap, it will be pretty stupid.

Who did Hasselbeck backup over there in Seattle?

No one - he was brought from Green Bay where he had been the backup to Farve when Holmgren who had been his coach at Green Bay went to Seattle.

The point was he spent a few years backing up Farve - like Rodgers - and then got his shot as a starter elsewhere and made the most of it.

I agree Rodgers must be getting impaitent but being made to sit wait - and learn - could be the best thing to ever happen to him. When he first played in preseason after being drafted he looked totally lost - hopeless. If he had been in a aposition where he HAD to play early I think he would have stunk and probably been a bust by now. The chance to sit, watch and learn has helped him - when he played last year in spot duty he actually looked like an NFL QB.

He will get his shot - but it might be another couple of years.

What I am trying to say is do they come here for the money only cause they know they are going to get paid or because they believe in this team and love the tradition of REDSKIN football?

Let's think about this; why do you work where you work? Just the money? Like the people there? Good boss? Benefits?

I mean, there's not a single NFL player who is the proverbial guy who would play for free. Not one. Maybe some flag with the fella's at Thanksgiving. Maybe a rec league, but no one is going to dedicate themselves to the training and study and discipline and physical abuse on anything approaching the NFL level for free.

So, why not make $1,000,000 with the Redskins v. $500,000 with the whomevers?

Also, the odds are 32:1 that the Redskins are any given players favorite team. Even lower that the Skins are their home town team.

This isn't to say that team and tradition don't matter; sure they do. So does winning. Coaching matters. Ownership matters. Where your kids may go to school matters. Geography matters.

There are plenty of players who are taking less money to stay with a given team for all those reasons and more. But not a whole lot less.

He will get his shot - but it might be another couple of years.

Every year he sits is probably costing him another million on his signing bonus when he ultimately becomes a free agent.

I actually agree that sitting may be "good" for him in some ways. But if you think that a 25-year-old professional athlete is viewing the world that way, you've clearly never met a professional athlete.

Also, Rodgers had incentives in his contract that could have earned him an additional $15 to $17 million dollars. Obviously, he has met none of those.

This is why if I am Rodgers, I have lost my mind by now:

On draft day 2005, he drops to 24 overall. This cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 million on his rookie deal.

He signed a contract that could have earned him an additional $17 million over fiver years if he ever became a starter. Three years in, he has not seen a dime of that and probably won't.

His contract is for five years, which means he has two years left on it. There is a fairly good chance that Favre will still be playing then. That means he will hit the market as a complete unknown. Proven starting QBs can make $50 to $70 million on their first contract after their rookie deal. My guess is Rodgers sees less than $20 million.

So far, Rodgers' NFL career has been marked by not playing and by not earning $40 to $50 million dollars.

I'd be ecstatic.

Let's think about this; why do you work where you work? Just the money? Like the people there? Good boss? Benefits?

I mean, there's not a single NFL player who is the proverbial guy who would play for free. Not one. Maybe some flag with the fella's at Thanksgiving. Maybe a rec league, but no one is going to dedicate themselves to the training and study and discipline and physical abuse on anything approaching the NFL level for free.

So, why not make $1,000,000 with the Redskins v. $500,000 with the whomevers?

Also, the odds are 32:1 that the Redskins are any given players favorite team. Even lower that the Skins are their home town team.

This isn't to say that team and tradition don't matter; sure they do. So does winning. Coaching matters. Ownership matters. Where your kids may go to school matters. Geography matters.

There are plenty of players who are taking less money to stay with a given team for all those reasons and more. But not a whole lot less.

Paul Shirley is a former NBA 12th man who has a blog. He's written a few times that if fans knew the real motivations as to why players played basketball, a lot of them would stop watching.

Paul Shirley is a former NBA 12th man who has a blog. He's written a few times that if fans knew the real motivations as to why players played basketball' date=' a lot of them would stop watching.[/quote']

Of course, we as fans want to live in a world where players have the same motivations to play as we do to watch. We want to think they're killing themselves just so that our favorite teams will win and play for us just because they love our team.

I don't begrudge any player for looking out for his financial interests. Teams are only so loyal to them, why would they be blindly loyal to a team? Pro athletes are highly skilled, valuable workers who have less than a 10 year window to make their money for the most part. Gotta do what's best for you and your family.

You really have to lok at the player and their character, situation, and goals.

Some are just going through the motions and really don't give much. The best examples I can think of are Jeff George (who was like that for everybody) and Chris Dishmen who was an all-pro with the Oilers, a doormat with us, and good again with another team.

Some are good players who don't make all that much of a difference. See Sanders, Dion.

And some are dedecated but at the tail end of their career. Bruce.

A FO really has to look long and hard at the character side of a player as well as their physical conditions before spending big bucks. I think Dan has learned that to some extent, and his FA signings will be a little more solid even w/o Joe's help.

Are you guys turning this into why do players play the game for money or for the love of the game? Or is the thread about why did they chose the Redskins over another team?

I don't question that guys like Clinton Portis and Shawn Springs love playing football and want to win. I know for a fact they came to Washington for Money. Anybody who says they came to win is off their rocker. We have not even won our division in the last decade :doh: Springs is a Cowboy fan and people think he came here for our tradition? He came because of the money and it was close to home. Portis came because Snyder told him on the phone himself 50mill.

According to my non-skinsfan friends, they come here because the FO brings them in when other teams are done with them and their career is over and they really should have retired already

Actually, that is oakland. :laugh:

Cooley, Campbell, Landry, Doughty, McIntosh, Godfrey, Montgomery, Evans, Wilson, Golston, Rogers, Jansen, and Todd Collins are not here just for the money. They are here for opportunity that they wouldn't have on other teams. Everyone else would go somewhere else if they thought they could get paid more.

Cooley, Campbell, Landry, Doughty, McIntosh, Godfrey, Montgomery, Evans, Wilson, Golston, Rogers, Jansen, and Todd Collins are not here just for the money. They are here for opportunity that they wouldn't have on other teams. Everyone else would go somewhere else if they thought they could get paid more.

That and the fact that they were drafted.

We have not even won our division in the last decade :doh: Springs is a Cowboy fan and people think he came here for our tradition? He came because of the money and it was close to home. Portis came because Snyder told him on the phone himself 50mill.

Never knew Springs is a Cowboy fan :wtf: Also we did win the division in 1999, Dan Snyder sent me a team picture that says NFC East Division Champs..thats just for the record! ;)

Um OP, why do you have a sig of Vernon Fox of all people?
Who is OP? Were you asking me why I have a sig of Vernon Fox out of all people? Well, I have known Vernon since the 7th grade, he was an Eagles fan at the time, wonder how he feels about that now..lol! We wre friends and he lived down the street from me and we were on the same football team all 4 years of high school. We'll just say I know him personally, but actually haven't had contact with him since he was in college, but people out here that I know still talk to the guy! ;)

What I am trying to say is do they come here for the money only cause they know they are going to get paid or because they believe in this team and love the tradition of REDSKIN football? I saw a thread up top about T. Suggs, or I should say members saying that Suggs wants to go to Arizona, but would consider playing for the Redskins cause he knows he's going to get paid.

I think we should stay away from all those high profile players, maybe grab a WR if possible in free agency, but we should definately build around the draft and keep the whole team intact if possible. Hopefully players would consider to reconstruct their contract. I really hope though we go after a real good coach if Williams don't get the job. Mora, please no..26 and 23 with the Falcons, how is he a proven winner?

I really hope we don't grab players that just wants to get paid, guess thats the bottom line even though I kinda fell off my topic for a minute, my bad! ;)

Honestly, most players come to washington for the money and look at all of our busts for it. I found this out in 1998 when we got stubblefield.

You honestly think Gibbs didn't? (As much respect for Gibbs, but part of it is the truth)

Honestly, does anyone believe that ANY professional athlete only plays for a team with a 'legacy'? They go where they will get paid...that's why they're professionals. Same with us schmucks out in the real world. Why would I have loyalty to my own employer when another one offers me more money to do the same job??

and portis also said he would restructure because he wants to be here, that he loves this place and he loves this team

Total BS. Portis will is willing to do the type of "restructuring" where he would get his whole season's salary in one check before the season starts. I'm sure pretty much every employee in the world would be willing to do that sort of restructuring. Portis would not take a pay cut to stay here. He'd say thanks for the memories and be on the phone to his agent.

Archived