Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do players become a REDSKIN only for the money?

pR0JEkT 21

Cooley signed his extention because of fans...He could be playing for a team that wins alot next year but instead decided to sign again with us. Not saying money wasn't a part of it, but other things are also involved.

No he signed for about $10M up front as I recall he might have taken a bit less than he could have got in free agency but that was the bird in the hand argument not fan appreciation. As for playing for a team that wins a lot next year he has has much chance of doing that with us as with any team outside of the Pats and Colts and maybe a couple more.

No he signed for about $10M up front as I recall he might have taken a bit less than he could have got in free agency but that was the bird in the hand argument not fan appreciation. As for playing for a team that wins a lot next year he has has much chance of doing that with us as with any team outside of the Pats and Colts and maybe a couple more.

right and I guess his interview saying fans and the city is why he is staying...or how bout that his soon to be wife lives here...oh wait? nope def money...

The NFL is all about the Benjamin's......... thats a fact jack....in collage the first thing you look for is the team thats puts their money where the mouth peice is and your agent is the one who makes it all happen or not...Owners have to put it out there that they will pay the big bucks for the big time player in hopes of winning ........low ranking teams get first shot at the best talent, which will make you or break you . To me the skins have the money and the players they both go hand and hand....The only thing missing is the master mind, the one to get us over the top,not just close but over , someone to guide us to repeated Super Bowls ...we have some of the best players money can buy IMO..... now all we need is a true leader so lets find the best one for the job not the highest paid one .....lets find that one the beleives in the B&G a truely skilled leader...please................Hail Skins

You DO realize that we can only pay players the same as other people? We have the same salary cap. Now granted we could pay just a few stars extra and have to fill the rest of the spots with low paid draft picks, but obviously we arent drafting players(or so some people say), so thats hardly the case.

You tell me, would YOU go to a team for the money, knowing full well that the team had no hope at any time of being a winning team? Would you be willing to lose game after game after game for a little bit extra? If so, you arent any type of competitor, and you dont get to the NFL by not having that drive.

I hate to say this but I think players come here to play under coaches that they have played for before ie..London Fletcher. To play under a hall of fame coach. Not here anymore. Because it is a business and we pay the best. I know I might be wrong for a few but I think I am spot on for most of the players.

He was traded to us, meaning he was, well, TRADED to us. Dude :doh:

It didn't hurt that we made him the highest paid RB (at the time) when he was traded to us. I'm sure if we wanted him to play out his contract he woulda fought the trade. That's in the past now though. The man bleeds burgundy and gold, through and through, and is a true Washingtonian. **** Denver.

You DO realize that we can only pay players the same as other people? We have the same salary cap. Now granted we could pay just a few stars extra and have to fill the rest of the spots with low paid draft picks, but obviously we arent drafting players(or so some people say), so thats hardly the case.

You tell me, would YOU go to a team for the money, knowing full well that the team had no hope at any time of being a winning team? Would you be willing to lose game after game after game for a little bit extra? If so, you arent any type of competitor, and you dont get to the NFL by not having that drive.

Drive is defined in a lot of different ways.

Would you accept being a backup on a winning team if you could be a starter on a losing team? Most players want to be starters.

Wouldn't you want to maximize your earning potential? Is making as much money as possible a drive?

Football careers are short. I wouldn't want to spend mine on the sidelines in Town A if I could start in Town B.

Question: Do you think Aaron Rodgers is completely happy right now? He might end up with a Super Bowl ring, yet three years of his playing career have simply evaporated. If I were him, I would be suicidal by now.

Drive is defined in a lot of different ways.

Would you accept being a backup on a winning team if you could be a starter on a losing team? Most players want to be starters.

Wouldn't you want to maximize your earning potential? Is making as much money as possible a drive?

Football careers are short. I wouldn't want to spend mine on the sidelines in Town A if I could start in Town B.

Question: Do you think Aaron Rodgers is completely happy right now? He might end up with a Super Bowl ring' date=' yet three years of his playing career have simply evaporated. If I were him, I would be suicidal by now.[/quote']

are you joking? he's enjoying playing behind a HOF player like favre. HE knows favre wont be playing much longer and he is enjoying it while he can, hell i would.

Even though it does kill you to not start everygame being a competitor but oyu have to realie if you arent ready you gotta tep back until you are. and if that means learning behind a great player so be it.

Look at matt hassellback, he was in rodgers position too.

Do men have sex just for the climax? Maybe not, but they probably wouldn't bother without it.

if you are a good man you have sex to please your partner and get yours.

at least i get my satisfaction in seeing my woman happy too. but yes, the main reason is to acheive that. lol

i guess this relates to football?? hahaha

are you joking? he's enjoying playing behind a HOF player like favre. HE knows favre wont be playing much longer and he is enjoying it while he can, hell i would.

Even though it does kill you to not start everygame being a competitor but oyu have to realie if you arent ready you gotta tep back until you are. and if that means learning behind a great player so be it.

Hasslebeck was a sixth round pick. He was happy to have a job.

Rodgers was once considered a potential top five pick. If I am Aaron Rodgers, everytime I see Ben Roethlisberger on tv, I consider shooting myself. Or shooting Ben. Actually, I probably just murder a hooker.

Players want to play. No athlete worth a damn says, "Someday, I hope to sit on the bench in the NFL."

THese players play football for a "LIVING." Most players just want to make a team and the really good and great ones want to make their money while they can. Snyder provides that kind of cash. Once they get here however, I think most of them learn to appreciate the fanbase and the tradition here in Washington. There are probably a few who couldn't care less where they play - and a few who want to play here their entire careers.

How does he know Favre won't be there much longer? Favre keeps going. He's having one of the best years of his career. He could play two more years, which would be the end of Rodgers contract. If Rodgers stays then he's got the pressure of replacing a legend.

I can't believe how naive people are to think that players choose teams like the Redskins b/c of their history. It's all about the money. It is that way in every sport. In fact the players association would come down hard on a player if he took significantly less money to go anywhere. I remember A-Rod originally agreed to a pay cut to leave Texas and the players association denied it. Once players are in a city they may fall in love w/ it and take a "hometown discount" to stay where they are. But players go where they get paid the most. These guys have tremendous egos and they know what each other is making. If a player believes he is top 5 at his position, he will want to be paid like it. Unfortunately this is the business of sports. I remember when Runyan left Tennessee for Philly and he basically came out and said he went there for the money. The Titans were coming off a Super Bowl appearance and he didn't want to leave but money talks. In a fantasy world it is nice to think that players choose a team b/c of tradition and the fan base but that is just not true. And don't tell me that 99% of the people on this board wouldn't go work for a company that offered them twice as much money as their current company even though it's a competitor. This is what sports is in the 21st century.

Cooley was drafted that is different. He had no choice but to come here. He liked it and stayed for more reasons than money.

In the NFL all players go to a team for money, to win ( they don't come here for that :doh:) or because its close to home, or because they will go anywhere that takes them.

I think the Pats is the only team really that players will sacrafice money to play for because they want a ring :whoknows:

PS You don't know the words to Hail to the redskins? :(

Just cause they get drafted by a team doesn't mean they need to stay there and play for the team. Check out Eli..he was not going to play for San Diego, that was the bottom line and they knew it, when the time came he was not going to sign with them so they traded him to the Giants..on draft day! :silly:

The NFL is all about the Benjamin's......... thats a fact jack....in collage the first thing you look for is the team thats puts their money where the mouth peice is and your agent is the one who makes it all happen or not...Owners have to put it out there that they will pay the big bucks for the big time player in hopes of winning ........low ranking teams get first shot at the best talent, which will make you or break you . To me the skins have the money and the players they both go hand and hand....The only thing missing is the master mind, the one to get us over the top,not just close but over , someone to guide us to repeated Super Bowls ...we have some of the best players money can buy IMO..... now all we need is a true leader so lets find the best one for the job not the highest paid one .....lets find that one the beleives in the B&G a truely skilled leader...please................Hail Skins
So are you saying we need a Tom Brady? :D

Who did Hasselbeck backup over there in Seattle?

Archuletta definitely signed on for the money. So did Deion Sanders. So did Jeff George. So did Mark Carrier.

But since Joe Gibbs came out of retirement and went back into retirement, the team has become competitive, and I think alot of the free agents from other teams who sign hefty Redskin contracts, do it because they believe the Redskins will be a winner. Only a true loser would sign on for the money and play for a medicore team.

I think Andre Carter, Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Clinton Portis, Mark Brunell, Phillip Daniels, Fred Smoot, and Cornelius Griffin all signed on here because they want to win a championship.

Archuletta definitely signed on for the money. So did Deion Sanders. So did Jeff George. So did Mark Carrier.

But since Joe Gibbs came out of retirement and went back into retirement, the team has become competitive, and I think alot of the free agents from other teams who sign hefty Redskin contracts, do it because they believe the Redskins will be a winner. Only a true loser would sign on for the money and play for a medicore team.

I think Andre Carter, Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Clinton Portis, Mark Brunell, Phillip Daniels, Fred Smoot, and Cornelius Griffin all signed on here because they want to win a championship.

Almost all athletes are losers then because with at least 80% probably more it's all about the money. Show me the money Jerry!

I still have nightmares of that jackass running way to the outside like a moron while he was trying to get his little record.

Agreed. Then having Donovan McNabb running into the void and picking up massive yards in the process. All that guy seemed to care about was getting that record. It was a shame that Mr. Snyder had him signed for so long. He was a great player for the bills, but it seems all too often in this town we get players from other citites who made those cities great and then the players come here and just want to live off of their reputation. The redskins should try and build through the draft, but you do need to have free agents as well. I thought last years strategy worked very well. We got a great safety throught the draft and we got a great linebacker through free agency. Not to mention that we got depth at DB, by bringing back smoooooooooottttt! I thought that the FO did a good job last year. In years past though, it was like tyring to bring in the pro bowl roster and the players that were brought in never lived up to the expectations.

Archived