Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do players become a REDSKIN only for the money?

pR0JEkT 21

LFB didn't come here to get paid. Portis, Lloyd and Moss came via trade and THEN got paid. Daniels didn't come to get paid and he has been good for us. Brunell didn't come here to get paid and he gave us a playoff run. Raybach and Kendall aren't getting paid great, but both love being here, so that's one guy on our line who may have, one WR out of three and two defenders in Griff and SS, because Carter isn't breaking the bank for a 10 sack guy.

Not only that, a lot of our player do what they are asked for, no matter what. Washington with his hand in the dirt or Carter learning to focus on the run. We have ourselves a ****ing football team, for the first time in a while.

As somebody said earlier, if for nothing else, Gibbs II gave us back our pride and it's contagious. Great players will want to come here because we are competitive and proud. It only adds to it, that they will get paid. The Bills are a proud team, but nobody gets paid to play there( despite them playing on our dollar).

You have a valid point there, but what pisses me off the most is Cow-Puke fans or just guys at work telling me the Redskins always spend all this money.. they try to buy a Championship and they don't do crap! That really pisses me off, cause I don't think we buy everybody, thats for damn sure! :mad:

Since I am posting thought I would bring this up, does anyone have the link where I can see all the avatars that are on this site? I am talking the ones that are linked to eXtremeskins, not topics on them, I already used the search function!

So are you telling me that the Owners are shopping victoriously like people do on eBay for coaches and players? Goes to the highest bidder? Then why would Leonard Davis last year go to sorry Dallas when the Redskins were offering him more money than Jerry Jones was? ;)

Actually we didnt offer him a contract IIRC

LFB didn't come here to get paid. Portis, Lloyd and Moss came via trade and THEN got paid. Daniels didn't come to get paid and he has been good for us. Brunell didn't come here to get paid and he gave us a playoff run. Raybach and Kendall aren't getting paid great, but both love being here, so that's one guy on our line who may have, one WR out of three and two defenders in Griff and SS, because Carter isn't breaking the bank for a 10 sack guy.

Not only that, a lot of our player do what they are asked for, no matter what. Washington with his hand in the dirt or Carter learning to focus on the run. We have ourselves a ****ing football team, for the first time in a while.

As somebody said earlier, if for nothing else, Gibbs II gave us back our pride and it's contagious. Great players will want to come here because we are competitive and proud. It only adds to it, that they will get paid. The Bills are a proud team, but nobody gets paid to play there( despite them playing on our dollar).

Mark came here to get paid no one else was willing to give up a third rounder when he was most likely going to get cut once free agency started and other teams were waiting on him his originally contract was more than what a good starter half his age would have gotten at the time. Brees got a little bit more 2 years later and is way better. Why do you think every time a free agent is linked to Washington they usually come out with nice money even if they sign else where?

pre-Gibbs 2.0, yes

post-Gibbs 2.0, no

Any evidence of this?

Most of the FA's signed over the past 3-4 years were overpaid compared to what other teams would have given them. Evidence of players coming here for something other than cash would be signings like Randy Moss or Thomas signing with NE this year. They went there to win.

The closest I can think of for us is Betts resigning, or maybe Smoot. But those guys were Redskins. It's not like Lloyd, Archuleta, or Fletcher came here for a lowball offer or anything.

CP was traded because he didn't like the fact that Denver wasn't willing to give him a new contract. He wanted out and asked for a trade. The Redskins were willing to deal and did it for Portis. Once Portis was traded the Skins gave him a fat contract. I believe after being here for 4 years and after what he has gone trough here in Washington has made him more humble, you can tell in the way he talks. He is worth 8 mil against the cap this year and has already said he is willing to renegotiate his contract in order to stay in DC

This is a business first and everything else second. Certainly players have a desire to win and enjoy a proximity to their famlies. But there is a short window to play and get paid. There are no players that have come here because they wanted to be a Redskin. Money is always the #1 issue.

yes players want to get paid and agree that money usually is they first thing they want, but if they are willing to take play cuts or restructured contracts then they obivously want to be where they are at

We tradaed for Ports, then signed him to a new deal...

If he restructures will you reconsider your statement?

I'm guessing that if he restructures it will be converting salary into bonus to lower his cap number next year NOT taking less overall cash.

The answer to the question is that bottom line these guys are not fans - its their job. They migh take a bit less to play in a place they like, or where they think there is a better chance of winning but overall cash is king.

Many of us think of Russ Grimm as a "Redskin" - when he was drafted he thought the Redskins were based in Washington (WA) in the Pacific Northwest, he had no clue about the history or tradition of the team.

He was traded. He didn't have a choice. p.s.- you are dumb

In the NFL Network show "Who Is....Clinton Portis", he recapped what went on when he was traded to the Redskins. He said he talked to Snyder personally and said "for 50 mil, you've got me" regarding his impending extension upon finalizing the trade. So, money was a factor, at least to some degree.

]']And now he's staying Because he's a true Redskin.

Alot of them were like that. But it seems now our team is more united under that Redskins helmet. How can anyone say Gibbs II was a failure if the morale of DC Football has changed so much?

There's more unity on this team than I've seen since the Gibbs I era. Players play for the money, no matter what team it may be but you see guys like Betts and Sellers who stay here and could make more money and probably start for another team.

I hope we don't lose that unity with the departure of Joe Gibbs and have Dan and his side kick Vinny start trying to put together another over paid, past their prime, "I'm the star" infested team again. Hiring outside the organization IMO, is a step in that direction and sets this team back another 3 years.

He was traded. He didn't have a choice. p.s.- you are dumb

He was traded because he was looking for the highest bidder. He didn't care about comming to Washington and if you listen to what Portis has said in the past 1. he had some say in the trade and 2. he has said many times when he was signed that guys were calling him saying they wanted to come to Washington to get paid. These are things that came straight from his mouth. He said he told his agent he wanted to talk to Snyder when Trade talks were going on and he told Snyder "give me 50mill and I'm there"

tradition :laugh: if you go to 60 seconds with a redskin 90% of the players couldn't tell you the words to our fight song :doh:

He was traded because he was looking for the highest bidder. He didn't care about comming to Washington and if you listen to what Portis has said in the past 1. he had some say in the trade and 2. he has said many times when he was signed that guys were calling him saying they wanted to come to Washington to get paid. These are things that came straight from his mouth. He said he told his agent he wanted to talk to Snyder when Trade talks were going on and he told Snyder "give me 50mill and I'm there"

tradition :laugh: if you go to 60 seconds with a redskin 90% of the players couldn't tell you the words to our fight song :doh:

who are you 10% that would?

I said 10% because I think I have only seen 90% of them and not one of the players I saw knew the words :doh:

haha, I don't know all the words to the song and anyone that knows me...knows that I am a die hard fan. I love the Skins but I don't know everything about them including the fight song. I know just a few lines of it.

Cooley signed his extention because of fans...He could be playing for a team that wins alot next year but instead decided to sign again with us. Not saying money wasn't a part of it, but other things are also involved.

haha, I don't know all the words to the song and anyone that knows me...knows that I am a die hard fan. I love the Skins but I don't know everything about them including the fight song. I know just a few lines of it.

Cooley signed his extention because of fans...He could be playing for a team that wins alot next year but instead decided to sign again with us. Not saying money wasn't a part of it, but other things are also involved.

Cooley was drafted that is different. He had no choice but to come here. He liked it and stayed for more reasons than money.

In the NFL all players go to a team for money, to win ( they don't come here for that :doh:) or because its close to home, or because they will go anywhere that takes them.

I think the Pats is the only team really that players will sacrafice money to play for because they want a ring :whoknows:

PS You don't know the words to Hail to the redskins? :(

Archived