Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do players become a REDSKIN only for the money?

pR0JEkT 21

Honestly, does anyone believe that ANY professional athlete only plays for a team with a 'legacy'? They go where they will get paid...that's why they're professionals. Same with us schmucks out in the real world. Why would I have loyalty to my own employer when another one offers me more money to do the same job??

there are contingencies. Player's egos are big enough that they will pass up more money for the opprotunity to play (as long as it's not TOO much money)

If player A is offered $2 mil a year to go to a team where he only plays 20% of the snaps, and he is offered $1.5 mil a year to go to a team where he gets 90% of the snaps, he's going to go to the second team.

BUT if the same player is too self centered and not even THINKING about the opprotunity to play is offered A lot more money a year to play 20% of the snaps (not that any team is stupid enough to do that ::BRANDON LLOYD:: :doh: ) and another team offers him $1.5 mil to play 90%, only a moron (BRANDON LLOYD :doh: ) would go with team 2

if you are a good man you have sex to please your partner and get yours.

at least i get my satisfaction in seeing my woman happy too. but yes, the main reason is to acheive that. lol

i guess this relates to football?? hahaha

So true. If more men learned to please their women, they would learn that the women will keep coming back and giving you more. Unless it's a 1 night stand and you don't want them to come back.

I just wish we had more Brett Favre's in the league that play for the love of it.

that is a huge reason why i respect Darrell Green. He was the best, but he never made a splash saying he wanted more money. He played for the love of the game. Brett Favre is a great example as well, which is why i respect him so much and want to see him win the superbowl

So true. If more men learned to please their women, they would learn that the women will keep coming back and giving you more. Unless it's a 1 night stand and you don't want them to come back.
Thats not true..I don't have a one night stand cause I'm married, and everytime I please my wife, however my wife don't always come back for more, I mean she does, but not as often as when we were boyfriend and girlfriend if you know what I mean.. getting married for some odd reason is a contract in which means you get lack of you know what, all married men can vouch for that..I think, or is it just me? :( I hope not!

for the most part, players will go for the money. There are always many factors involved (coach, teammmates, location, family situation, team success) but in many instances synder totally outbids everyone else that the money factor outweighs those completely.

all the examples given have been general (ohh blah blah blah didnt come for the money), but general examples dont prove anything

if someone can give REAL examples that fill in whats in the parenthesis, then it shows that they dont just come for the money...

(INSERT PLAYER NAME) was offered ($X) by the (INSERT TEAM NAME), but decided to sign/resign with the Redskins for ($Y).

where Y is less than X (has to be in the synder-era too)

signing with the redskins for less, as opposed to just resigning would really prove this

fact of the matter is, i dont think you can find a whole lot of players in the nfl for ANY team who be able to fit that sentence, let alone player for the redskins. maybe a player has taken a less money if the dollar amounts were very similiar, but i dont think any player would take an amount that is substantially lower

If someone can give REAL examples that fill in whats in the parenthesis, then it shows that they dont just come for the money...

(INSERT PLAYER NAME) was offered ($X) by the (INSERT TEAM NAME), but decided to sign/resign with the Redskins for ($Y).

I feel like I am at school and I have been given a project to do! :doh:

for the most part, players will go for the money. There are always many factors involved (coach, teammmates, location, family situation, team success) but in many instances synder totally outbids everyone else that the money factor outweighs those completely.

all the examples given have been general (ohh blah blah blah didnt come for the money), but general examples dont prove anything

if someone can give REAL examples that fill in whats in the parenthesis, then it shows that they dont just come for the money...

signing with the redskins for less, as opposed to just resigning would really prove this

fact of the matter is, i dont think you can find a whole lot of players in the nfl for ANY team who be able to fit that sentence, let alone player for the redskins. maybe a player has taken a less money if the dollar amounts were very similiar, but i dont think any player would take an amount that is substantially lower

Tom Brady signed for below market value, but I think that was calculated. Brady is one of the few NFL players with a Q Rating and being the "team first nice guy" probably makes him more in off-field money than what he would have made if he pushed for the bigger contrtact.

Tom Brady signed for below market value' date=' but I think that was calculated. Brady is one of the few NFL players with a Q Rating and being the "team first nice guy" probably makes him more in off-field money than what he would have made if he pushed for the bigger contrtact.[/quote']

I definitley agree with that. Tom Brady is not hurting the wallet at all, signed for less but ends up getting more anyway. A lot of players in sports are willing to sign their contracts for less in big markets such as New York or Los Angeles because they will more than make up for it in endorsement money. Experts think LeBron James will go to the knicks (if they arent as the worst franchise in sports anymore) in 2010 for less money cause he will more than make up for it in endorsement money in the NYC market. Question is though... what is eastern motors paying their endorsers these days?

I definitley agree with that. Tom Brady is not hurting the wallet at all, signed for less but ends up getting more anyway. A lot of players in sports are willing to sign their contracts for less in big markets such as New York or Los Angeles because they will more than make up for it in endorsement money. Experts think LeBron James will go to the knicks (if they arent as the worst franchise in sports anymore) in 2010 for less money cause he will more than make up for it in endorsement money in the NYC market. Question is though... what is eastern motors paying their endorsers these days?

I've heard that about LeBron. The interesting thing about LeBron though he lists Warren Buffett as one of his closest advisors. Buffett became the 2nd richest man in the world living in Omaha, NE.

One more thing i want to touch on. Players coming here for money is definately an arguable fact, but players dont necessarily play and stay here for the money. If you watch a lot of the "big name players" the Redskins have had, didnt leave in thier prime for a bigger contract somewhere else.

Cooley is on this team and i'm sure ANY team would love to have him but he signed an extension. Sean Taylor was not making as much money as he could have but he didnt go to the Media saying he wanted to get traded.

in the past, Darrell Green, Art Monk, players of this caliber STAYED in this franchise because they loved it.

Then you have people who are like Champ Bailey who for some reason wanted out (personally i think it's because he wanted to be the Best the Redskins ever had, and he knew he couldnt touch DG).

]']And now [Portis] is staying Because he's a true Redskin.

Yeah' date=' we'll see about that when they ask him to take a big pay cut next month.

]'] Alot of them were like that. But it seems now our team is more united under that Redskins helmet. How can anyone say Gibbs II was a failure if the morale of DC Football has changed so much?

I doubt that also. A lot of them are here only for the money. Even London Fletcher wouldn't be here if we didn't pay him a lot more than any other team was willing to pay for him. We get a good but aging MLB for a 5-year $25M contract while the 49ers get a young stud, Patrick Willis, in the draft for a 5-year $16.655M contract. We need to build from the draft and retain the good ones, like Cooley, etc. These are true Redskins. Like it or not, Moss, Portis, Randle-El, etc. are just mercenaries. FA is to plug in holes, not to build a team around!!!

Yeah, we'll see about that when they ask him to take a big pay cut next month.

I doubt that also. A lot of them are here only for the money. Even London Fletcher wouldn't be here if we didn't pay him a lot more than any other team was willing to pay for him. We get a good but aging MLB for a 5-year $25M contract while the 49ers get a young stud, Patrick Willis, in the draft for a 5-year $16.655M contract. We need to build from the draft and retain the good ones, like Cooley, etc. These are true Redskins. Like it or not, Moss, Portis, Randle-El, etc. are just mercenaries. FA is to plug in holes, not to build a team around!!!

CP has already said he'd redo his deal. This is actually better for the player because again, they get salary turned into bonus and get their money up front and the team gets to spread the new deal out. He'd actually make more "real" money then he would under his current deal.

And I do agree with you that we need to build through the draft and plug holes through free agency. You could also turn it around on the 49ers and say we got a young stud Safety for x-amount of dollars and SF paid 80 million for their CB and x-amount for Michael Lewis.

So are you telling me that the Owners are shopping victoriously like people do on eBay for coaches and players? Goes to the highest bidder? Then why would Leonard Davis last year go to sorry Dallas when the Redskins were offering him more money than Jerry Jones was? ;)

Now obviously there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes a guy will take 15 million at a place that is closer to winning over 17 million at a place that is rebuilding. but you make that difference 27 million to 15 million and the guy is suddenly very excited to be a part of the building process at his new team.

One more thing i want to touch on. Players coming here for money is definately an arguable fact, but players dont necessarily play and stay here for the money. If you watch a lot of the "big name players" the Redskins have had, didnt leave in thier prime for a bigger contract somewhere else.

Cooley is on this team and i'm sure ANY team would love to have him but he signed an extension. Sean Taylor was not making as much money as he could have but he didnt go to the Media saying he wanted to get traded.

in the past, Darrell Green, Art Monk, players of this caliber STAYED in this franchise because they loved it.

Then you have people who are like Champ Bailey who for some reason wanted out (personally i think it's because he wanted to be the Best the Redskins ever had, and he knew he couldnt touch DG).

Actually Taylor did a few times and i think even last offseason wanted to renew his deal

Just cause they get drafted by a team doesn't mean they need to stay there and play for the team. Check out Eli..he was not going to play for San Diego, that was the bottom line and they knew it, when the time came he was not going to sign with them so they traded him to the Giants..on draft day! :silly:

the chargers didnt have to trade him they could have held his rights and tried to negotiate with him.

Archived