Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It won't happen,but I hope Russ Grimm gets the job! (merged)

michael_33

If we bring Russ, we need to give him a LONG term deal, and give him freedom to create the Staff he wants. IE we need to let him basically make radical changes to the team. I'm not sure that's what we need right now. I'm not opposed to him as a coach, This is just my personal feeling.

Let me begin that I am not opposed to Russ Grimm.

I do think if you bring him in you let him put his stamp on this team, if that means coaches or players go then so be it. You give him at least as long as you gave gibbs, (I'd give him 6 years off the bat), and you let him transform the franchise. We can't live with a coach trying to recreate Gibb's legacy we need someone to create a NEW legacy. Now if they hire Greg Williams, fine we keep saunders, fine, but if we hire someone from outside, give them the benefit of the doubt it may take some time but we want to be world beaters all year every year and its going to take a change I guarantee it.

If you don't hire saunders or williams..... I want a young vibrant coach (think in the mold of "Chuckie" in Tampa Bay) someone who we will keep for 6 or7 years at the minimum, and that means we need to give that person time to transform the team, and put their own stamp on it and create their own legacy. They can't live by trying to recreate what Gibbs had. That is in the past now.

Of all the prospective candidates, this is the most puzzling to me.

Most of the gripes on this board over the past three years have been about a change in philosophy (as usual). And the blame usually leveled on Joe Gibbs shoulders is that he is old school. Big offensive lineman, 4 yards and a cloud of dust, offense isn't opened up enough, etc.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, Russ Grimm! Who has the exact same philosophy. Anyone wanting Russ Grimm for a replacement is basically asking for a Joe Gibbs clone. The only thing being since he has zero connection to anyone involved here, it would be a coaching overhaul guarenteed. Twice as useless a move since we already have good assistants (and hopefully one head coach) already in place.

Of all the prospective candidates, this is the most puzzling to me.

Most of the gripes on this board over the past three years have been about a change in philosophy (as usual). And the blame usually leveled on Joe Gibbs shoulders is that he is old school. Big offensive lineman, 4 yards and a cloud of dust, offense isn't opened up enough, etc.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, Russ Grimm! Who has the exact same philosophy. Anyone wanting Russ Grimm for a replacement is basically asking for a Joe Gibbs clone. The only thing being since he has zero connection to anyone involved here, it would be a coaching overhaul guarenteed. Twice as useless a move since we already have good assistants (and hopefully one head coach) already in place.

Yes but he is a Old Joe Gibbs I clone. Joe Gibbs II is totally different. This team fits his style of offense better then it does Suanders style.

WTF

Russ Grimm is NEVER going to be an NFL HC. He's had over 15 years to land the gig and no owner has ever given him a shot.

Why? Because he doesn't have what it takes. PERIOD

Bill Cowher is that you? Great post, so why exactly has he went from being an O-Line coach to a very respected Assistant HC? He must be doing something right if he keeps getting mentioned as a possible head coach for teams. He will be a good HC one day.

If you don't hire saunders or williams..... I want a young vibrant coach (think in the mold of "Chuckie" in Tampa Bay) someone who we will keep for 6 or7 years at the minimum, and that means we need to give that person time to transform the team, and put their own stamp on it and create their own legacy. They can't live by trying to recreate what Gibbs had. That is in the past now.

I do get where you are comming from because whoever takes over will not have time the fans are too fickle they would be lucky to get 6 quaters before someone calls for thier head ....

The greatest thing that a coach needs from his players is respect. If a coach has the respect of all his players then he will be able to keep his team. I coach that has control of his team, is able to guide his team to do great things. I think that many Redskins fans are afraid that if someone comes into Redskins Park from the outside that he is going to blow up all the progress that has been made in the last few years. But, if the man coming from the outside is actually originally from the inside, then isn't he coming home. So why would he blow up his home and dismantle all the progress that Gibbs made in resurrecting honor, integrity and respect back to a franchise that was once floundering badly. Russ Grimm could come here and be the face of the franchise for years to come and continue progress that his friend and mentor began.

Is he a RUN RUN RUN kind of guy? If so then I would pass, let Saunders do his thing as it showed success. We all got worn out watching the relentless rushing game never end and praying to spread the field... This dude may put our offense back to square 1.

I kind of like the idea of Russ Grimm as the next head coach. What I have read the players like him.

I like it too but like many other threads say it is his lack of experience that worries me. Not that I think it should stop him from being our HC, just that it would be the number one thing I worried about when looking at him to hire him.

Russ may have left the Skins on a bad note at the time, but when you are a Hog once you are ALWAYS a hog. I dont think you are allowed out except by death. Kind of like being a Ninja...lol

I personally want Gregg Williams, but Russ Grimm would be a good choice. Think about it. I think he is more qualified than Gibbs was when he became our HC in the early 80's.

1. Experience as a player for approximately 10 years.

2. Experience as a coach for 15 years or so.

That's 25 years of experience in the NFL right there. In Contrast, Gibbs had about 17 years of coaching experience(which is tons of experience) when he became our head coach.

That's plenty of experience. He has seen 1) How Gibbs coaches 2) How Cowher coaches 3) How Norv Turner coaches :rolleyes: .

We definitely have to go for experience. That's why my ideal choice is GW first and Russ Grimm second. When Bill Belichick became HC in New England, he probably had 25 years of experience as a coach already. He started working in 1975 with the Baltimore Colts.

I would be more than happy with Grimm. I don't think you need to have been a coordinator to have the proper experience to be a coach. I'm sure it only helps, but when you're been a player and coach for as long as he has I'm sure he's well aware of how to run a team. He played under Gibbs and coached with Cowher, so he really falls in the middle of a lot of the sentiments that some Skins fans around here have.

It would be nice to have someone who is from the Redskins fraternity but would also not have us all thinking about the glory days non-stop. I think he could bridge the gap between old and new in just the right way.

Archived