Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

this sport is craving a prolonged even fight that ends with a bang. Nobody feels like an ass quite like a guy who pays over $100 for his nosebleed seat in the arena for an enormous event like this, then finds himself leaving the arena in less than two rounds of fighting.

The fights prior to the main event were pretty awful as well. I would have been uber pissed to have spent a lot of money on that fight. Heck, I would have been pissed if I paid the $50 for PPV.

The hyped fight of Oscar De La Hoya vs Pacman ended in a less than dramatic fashion and still relatively early in the fight. This one had a lot of hype and it turned out to be 2 rounds of Manny hitting a punching bag.

The resurgence in the popularity of boxing is going to end if the casual fans of the world can't get a worthwhile fight. Fights like Hatton and Pacman hurt this sport more than anything. Is there anything we can do about it? No. That's the problem. We can only hope for a worthwhile fight, and I certainly expected this last one to be worthwhile, but sometimes **** happens.

I guess the point of my rant is that I'd hate for this sport to return to a faded background status in the world of sports.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cotto v. Pac-Man...

apparently Pac's people are pushing for this fight towards the end of the year, they want Cotto to come down a few pounds from 147 though. i'm not sure if Cotto can get below 147 at this stage of his career

Pacman's boxing SKILL has increased so much in a relatively short time. he used to have bad balance on alot of his shots and was more of a brawler himself. 2 or 3 years ago, he would have never been able to dodge that shot Hatton threw as he was getting knockdown the 1st time. Credit to Freddie Roach for finding that tell in Hatton's game that left him open for ever right-hook Pacman threw. Roach said in the post-fight presser that he noticed Hatton pumps his hand before he throws and knew it would leave him wide open for the right hook so they drilled that religiously in camp.

4 years ago, there is no way Pacman could beat PBF. But ever since Roach took control of Pacman wreckless style and turned him into a more technical "boxer" then just brawler that likes to thump, he's more than ready to face Mayweather.

Roach taught Pacman how to use the jab more effectively. And also adding the right hook into his arsenal has made Manny way too unpredictable to his foes.

I try to stay away from comparing fighers by using common opponents as a juding factor, but it took Floyd 10 rounds to get at Ricky. It only took Pacman 2 round to put Hatton to sleep.

Anyhoot, I've watch Manny skills progress into a complete fighter throught out the years. He's ready to take on mayweather for the P4P title, and I'm confident he can do it. And I'm not saying this just because I'm Pinoy ;)

Can't look past that Cotto fight though, I got Pacman KO'ing Cotto before the 7th.

Damn I was out of town all weekend and missed the fight. That's the first clip I've seen of the actual KO, Sportscenter wouldn't show it, they are only showing the 1st round knockdown.

I gotta say, he got tapped right on the button...that hook wasn't blocked whatsoever!! Nice KO by Pacman. Way to make a statement.

apparently Pac's people are pushing for this fight towards the end of the year, they want Cotto to come down a few pounds from 147 though. i'm not sure if Cotto can get below 147 at this stage of his career

No offence to Cotto, but the fight EVERYONE wants is Pac/Mayweather Jr.

This is one of those fights that will captivate the general public.

true, Cotto might be a great boxer, and Cotto v Pacman might be a better fight than Pacman v PBF, but right now Manny & Flyod are the 2 biggest names in boxing and that fight HAS to happen. Even if PBF loses to JMM, he has to fight Manny even though JMM might want another shot at Manny first.

I can't wait to see Manny put PBF on his a**.

Pacman/PBF could possibly challenge DLH/PBF for the record in PPV buy rates

DLH/PBF did 2.4mil buys, i think Pacman/PBF would get close to or slightly over 2mil buys

floyd knows how to sell a fight. everybody likes to see the "hated" fighter (mayweather) against the "beloved" fighter (pacquiao)

oddly enough i had the opportunity to meet Mayweather about year or so ago, when the cameras are not rolling he's a pretty cool dude.

true, Cotto might be a great boxer, and Cotto v Pacman might be a better fight than Pacman v PBF, but right now Manny & Flyod are the 2 biggest names in boxing and that fight HAS to happen. Even if PBF loses to JMM, he has to fight Manny even though JMM might want another shot at Manny first.

I can't wait to see Manny put PBF on his a**.

don't bet on that, Floyd's never been knockdown in his entire career (the only time he was counted down was after he broke his hand and touched the canvas with his glove)

floyd is one of the 3 best defensive fighters of all time (Willie Pep & Pernell Whitaker being the other two) floyd's defense prevents him from getting hit with clean shots. he eats alot of punches on his elbows and shoulder

i can probably count on my hands how many times he's been hit flush on the chin

4 years ago, there is no way Pacman could beat PBF. But ever since Roach took control of Pacman wreckless style and turned him into a more technical "boxer" then just brawler that likes to thump, he's more than ready to face Mayweather.

Roach taught Pacman how to use the jab more effectively. And also adding the right hook into his arsenal has made Manny way too unpredictable to his foes.

I try to stay away from comparing fighers by using common opponents as a juding factor, but it took Floyd 10 rounds to get at Ricky. It only took Pacman 2 round to put Hatton to sleep.

Anyhoot, I've watch Manny skills progress into a complete fighter throught out the years. He's ready to take on mayweather for the P4P title, and I'm confident he can do it. And I'm not saying this just because I'm Pinoy

Can't look past that Cotto fight though, I got Pacman KO'ing Cotto before the 7th.

styles makes fights. Manny is much more aggressive offensively than Floyd. Floyd is a brilliant counterpuncher which is why it took him longer to get rid of Hatton. its not like Hatton had him in any danger in that fight. Manny takes the action to you, Floyd waits on you to come to him and punishes people when they make a mistake.

Edited by StillUnknown

HBO is replaying the Pacquiao/Hatton massacre from a week ago, followed by rematch between Chad Dawson & Antonio Tarver

the only reason Dawson is being forced to fight Tarver again is a rematch clause. Dawson won at least 11rds in the first fight, hopefully he finishes tarver early. the only person who wants to see this rematch is Tarver & his people.

Dawson should easily win this fight again. It would be very nice for him to retire Tarver in this match. I'm hoping for a 10 TKO by Chad. But in the 1st fight, Tarver was very hesitant to throw his power punches. He didn't want to get countered with anything heavy by Chad. Tarver is a counter-puncher, so i can understand his lack of aggression. But if you want to win, you gotta throw punches. Hopefully, Tarver is motivated and wants to win, then he'll make Chad earn his money. Cause I'm really not trying to see another Tarver SNOOZEFEST. I like Chad Dawson as a fighter/boxer. Even though he should have lost or at least got a draw with Glen Johnson. Johnson got robbed in that fight. What I liked about that fight, was he made Chad fight. So hopefully, Tarver can do the same. :2cents:

PS. Tarver is a one-punch wonder. Still living off that Roy Jones Jr KO in the 2nd round.:redpunch:

Dawson should easily win this fight again. It would be very nice for him to retire Tarver in this match. I'm hoping for a 10 TKO by Chad. But in the 1st fight, Tarver was very hesitant to throw his power punches. He didn't want to get countered with anything heavy by Chad. Tarver is a counter-puncher, so i can understand his lack of aggression. But if you want to win, you gotta throw punches. Hopefully, Tarver is motivated and wants to win, then he'll make Chad earn his money. Cause I'm really not trying to see another Tarver SNOOZEFEST. I like Chad Dawson as a fighter/boxer. Even though he should have lost or at least got a draw with Glen Johnson. Johnson got robbed in that fight. What I liked about that fight, was he made Chad fight. So hopefully, Tarver can do the same. :2cents:

PS. Tarver is a one-punch wonder. Still living off that Roy Jones Jr KO in the 2nd round.:redpunch:

i thought Johnson won his fight against Dawson, but i wouldn't call it robbery. it was a close fight, not agreeing with the decision doesn't make it robbery.

when i think Robbery, i think Sweet Pea against Chavez or Sweet Pea against De La Hoya or Lennox Lewis vs. Evander Holyfield

Edited by StillUnknown

Dawson very unimpressive last night. I wish Calzaghe would come out of retirement and work Dawson. Light HW is a really weak division right now.

Did he win? I fell asleep about halfway through. Seriously. By the second round my eyelids started dropping. When Tarver spent the entire round stepping forward with his guard up. Then Dawson did the exact same thing in the third. It picked up a little after that but not enough. Zzzzzzz.

Kellerman nailed it. Dawson did nothing to show he's a star.

EDIT: And yeah, Tarver needs to be put out to pasture. Like a year ago. His wife is hot though.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I'm of the mind that the best pound for pound boxer is cotto. I was waiting for the Cotto vs mayweather fight before Margarito cheated his way to beating cotto. That fight ruined the opportunity for Cotto vs Mayweather. Even though mayweather is a great fighter I think cotto would have won.

I hope with pretty boy making a comeback that cotto vs mayweather is still in the cards

I'm of the mind that the best pound for pound boxer is cotto. I was waiting for the Cotto vs mayweather fight before Margarito cheated his way to beating cotto. That fight ruined the opportunity for Cotto vs Mayweather. Even though mayweather is a great fighter I think cotto would have won.

I hope with pretty boy making a comeback that cotto vs mayweather is still in the cards

Manny is with out a doubt the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Cotto is my favorite fighter, and he was robbed in that Margarito fight (cheater) but the problem with cotto is he has a suspect chin.

If Cotto fought Mayweather, it would depend on the style Cotto fought. I saw cotto make a guy quite because he punched the guy's shoulder out of socket. I can see the same happening to Mayweather.

Mayweather has great defense, but just because he isn't taking those punches to the head or the abdomen, doesn't mean the punches wouldn't take a tole on him.

I think Cotto is the pound for pound hardest hitter in the game.

I don't want to see Cotto vs. Pacquiao as some have requested. I think Pacquiao's style would be too much for Cotto to handle. Pacquiao is much faster than cotto and he is also a hard hitter with enough power to take cotto down (and probably would) That fight would happen at 147 if it happened at all....I can't see cotto fighting under 147 ever again.

Manny is with out a doubt the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Cotto is my favorite fighter, and he was robbed in that Margarito fight (cheater) but the problem with cotto is he has a suspect chin.

If Cotto fought Mayweather, it would depend on the style Cotto fought. I saw cotto make a guy quite because he punched the guy's shoulder out of socket. I can see the same happening to Mayweather.

Mayweather has great defense, but just because he isn't taking those punches to the head or the abdomen, doesn't mean the punches wouldn't take a tole on him.

I think Cotto is the pound for pound hardest hitter in the game.

I don't want to see Cotto vs. Pacquiao as some have requested. I think Pacquiao's style would be too much for Cotto to handle. Pacquiao is much faster than cotto and he is also a hard hitter with enough power to take cotto down (and probably would) That fight would happen at 147 if it happened at all....I can't see cotto fighting under 147 ever again.

Cotto have a weak chin??? What are you talking about, the way he fights, he barely raises his hands on defense. The guy fights like a mini foreman; pure ugly power shots. That's why I think he's the best pound for pound boxer. Maybe he's not anymore but the guy was on his way to beating the living crap out of Mayweather.

Knowing now that margarito cheated and going back to that fight, cotto was taking all of shots until the end. I like pacquiao but he is beatable and the soon to come Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight will show that.

But pound for pound, cotto before the Margarito fight was the best and he could have uncrowned Mayweather. Mind you that Margarito vs cotto fight was just a prep fight, so to speak, to Mayweather vs Cotto. Oscar had it all setup. Margarito basically stole probably one of the greatest fights that could have happened. Cotto vs Mayweather would have been legendary.

I like Cotto. But pound for pound the hardest hitter in the game is Pavlik. I'd put Manny ahead of Cotto in that as well.

:hysterical::hysterical: You're talking about PavLIK the ghost. Come on. They're calling him casper now the way he lost to hopkins. I even had money on him. But that hopkins is tough like a coffin nail, he's 100 years old and wipped on Pavlik.

Pavlik lives in youngstown probably one of the ost rascist spots on this earth. They had palvik up in ohio like he was the great white hope and Hopkins just beat him down. I wouldn't want to be pavlik after that fight.

Anyone think Oscar was the biggest fairy In the whole history of championship boxing? I really dislike everything about him, great Promoter though.

Edited by Soup's-Up

Cotto have a weak chin??? What are you talking about' date=' the way he fights, he barely raises his hands on defense. The guy fights like a mini foreman; pure ugly power shots. That's why I think he's the best pound for pound boxer. Maybe he's not anymore but the guy was on his way to beating the living crap out of Mayweather.

Knowing now that margarito cheated and going back to that fight, cotto was taking all of shots until the end. I like pacquiao but he is beatable and the soon to come Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight will show that.

But pound for pound, cotto before the Margarito fight was the best and he could have uncrowned Mayweather. Mind you that Margarito vs cotto fight was just a prep fight, so to speak, to Mayweather vs Cotto. Oscar had it all setup. Margarito basically stole probably one of the greatest fights that could have happened. Cotto vs Mayweather would have been legendary.[/quote']

If you aren't aware of Cotto's suspect chin, you need to look into boxing a little bit more before posting. cotto has been put down many times in his career...several times by opponents. He is a good fighter, but he has never been the pound for pound best.

Margarito fight was far from a "prep" fight. Margarito had been a legit contender for several years before the Cotto fight.

I do believe Cotto-Mayweather would be a good fight....i even think cotto would win....but that still doesn't make him pound for pound best on assumptions!

Ward will definitely get tested against Miranda....Miranda can knock you out in the blink of an eye

he can also be outboxed and put down himself, great test to see where Ward is in his development. this is a fight Ward should win though.

the announcers had it right, if Miranda looks bad tonight, he's another Ricardo Mayorga