Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

not really moving up, its another catchweight fight, this time being at 145lbs

since its 145lbs, i don't see how any of Cotto's titles could be on the line

Can't speak for whether or not titles are on the line, but this is officially a welterweight bout. Any bout fought over 140 and under 147 goes down as welterweight. So, if Cotto wants to put his belt on the line it will be. The belts are irrelevant in this fight anyways.

Can't speak for whether or not titles are on the line, but this is officially a welterweight bout. Any bout fought over 140 and under 147 goes down as welterweight. So, if Cotto wants to put his belt on the line it will be. The belts are irrelevant in this fight anyways.

I believe the title is on the line, and the belt isn't really irrelevant, per say. I think I heard somewhere that Cotto didn't want to give up his belt and is defending it.

I believe the title is on the line, and the belt isn't really irrelevant, per say. I think I heard somewhere that Cotto didn't want to give up his belt and is defending it.

its relevant because it has historical implications

i don't see how the WW title could be on the line, if one fighter is not permitted to come in at the WW limit of 147

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=21288

after some hiccups in negotiations, things seem to be progressing nicely toward a Pavlik vs. Punisher match for the fall

i think this fight will be made simply because it happens to be the best fight for both fighters at the moment. MW division is bare with AA doing the SMW tourney. Pavlik is a bigger fight than anyone else paul could fight at 154 or 160.

if this fails Paul will fight Sergei Dzinziruk (undefeated titleholder at 154) in October

i still say it will be Pavlik vs. Punisher sometime in the fall

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=21288

after some hiccups in negotiations, things seem to be progressing nicely toward a Pavlik vs. Punisher match for the fall

i think this fight will be made simply because it happens to be the best fight for both fighters at the moment. MW division is bare with AA doing the SMW tourney. Pavlik is a bigger fight than anyone else paul could fight at 154 or 160.

if this fails Paul will fight Sergei Dzinziruk (undefeated titleholder at 154) in October

i still say it will be Pavlik vs. Punisher sometime in the fall

:cool: First off, is this 154 or 160? Anyway, not only is this a big fight for both guys, it should be a FUN fight to watch. Offense vs. Offense.

:cool: First off, is this 154 or 160? Anyway, not only is this a big fight for both guys, it should be a FUN fight to watch. Offense vs. Offense.

it'll be at 160 with Pavlik's titles on the line

if Paul's chin holds up, he should be able to win a comfortable decision. Pavlik hits a ton for MW though. Paul's chin has always been great, but he stepping up to arguably the hardest hitting MW

i would probably pick Paul by decision right now

And THAT'S why it'll be a FUN fight to watch. IMHO, Paul should take the fight even if Kelly gets more; if Paul wins, he'll make a NAME for himself and then be able to command a high purse.

a couple of good fights at 140lbs on Showtime this weekend:

Tim Bradley vs. Nate Campbell

&

Junior Witter vs. Devon Alexander

not sure who will win the bradley/campbell matchup. my first thought says bradley mainly because Campbell wasn't that impressive his last fight. only thing is that bradley isn't really great at one area. he doesn't have a defining characteristic. he's good at all, great at none. lots of heart though. Campbell is probably the better boxer of the two.

i've been following Devon Alexander's career for awhile now. he has alot of talent to be only 22yrs old. Junior Witter is by far his biggest test to date. Devon trained with Spinks and has the same trainer. he's managed to pick up the good of Cory Spinks while leaving the bad, meaning that he's is very slick in the ring, but doesn't avoid contact at all costs like Spinks would do from time to time. i think Alexander will make that next leap and beat Witter convincingly

Edited by StillUnknown

Tim Bradley vs. Nate Campbell

not sure who will win the bradley/campbell matchup. my first thought says bradley mainly because Campbell wasn't that impressive his last fight. only thing is that bradley isn't really great at one area. he doesn't have a defining characteristic. he's good at all, great at none. lots of heart though. Campbell is probably the better boxer of the two.

I actually believe Bradley is the better boxer. In my opinion, Nate Campbell wasn't much to write home about until he had a "luck night" and beat Juan Diaz....still can't believe that.

Bradley really impressed me when he beat Kendall Holt.

Junior Witter vs. Devon Alexander

I've been following Devon Alexander's career for awhile now. he has a lot of talent to be only 22yrs old. Junior Witter is by far his biggest test to date. Devon trained with Spinks and has the same trainer. he's managed to pick up the good of Cory Spinks while leaving the bad, meaning that he's is very slick in the ring, but doesn't avoid contact at all costs like Spinks would do from time to time. i think Alexander will make that next leap and beat Witter convincingly

I'm not familiar with Devon Alexander, but if what you say is correct about him being a better version of Corey Spinks (which I trust your judgment), he should wipe the floor with a very overrated Junior Witter.

Edited by Gator Bait

I actually believe Bradley is the better boxer. In my opinion, Nate Campbell wasn't much to write home about until he had a "luck night" and beat Juan Diaz....still can't believe that.

Bradley really impressed me when he beat Kendall Holt.

I'm not familiar with Devon Alexander, but if what you say is correct about him being a better version of Corey Spinks (which I trust your judgment), he should wipe the floor with a very overrated Junior Witter.

i don't think that was luck night against Diaz. he fought Diaz toe to toe and beat him at his own game. Nate has a history of giving fighters their first loss. Bradley definitely impressed me against holt. Holt hit that man with a punch that would've finished most fighters 140, but Bradley got off the canvas and won.

i'm not sure Alexander is better technically than Corey Spinks. i hate to watch him fight, but Spinks technically is brilliant, especially with his defense. Spinks accomplished alot despite the fact he's a human cure for insomnia. i would say Alexander is more well-rounded because he doesn't ignore the offensive side of the game. he has great defense, but still is not afraid to take a shot to land a couple of his own. he doesn't have much power though, great speed and combinations, but his KO's will almost always come from wearing his opponent down

i agree that Witter is overrated, but he's still at top 6 or 7 at 140, which is why i'm impressed with alexander taking the fight at only 22. some other prospects in the game have way more fights and still wont fight top10 guys yet (i.e. the Peterson bros.)

Edited by StillUnknown

Paul Williams has zero chance to beat Pavlik. PW has absolutely no power, and is the much smaller and weaker man. Pavlik with a KO in about 7 rounds. The Super Middleweight tourney is going to be awesome.

I think Pavlik is too one dimensional to beat Williams. Bhop completely exposed Pavlik. If Williams boxes Pavlik like he did against Margarito, I think he will win an easy unanimous decision. Possibly a late round TKO from the accumulation of punches.

Paul Williams has zero chance to beat Pavlik. PW has absolutely no power, and is the much smaller and weaker man. Pavlik with a KO in about 7 rounds. The Super Middleweight tourney is going to be awesome.
Paul's only 1.5 inches shorter, but has a 7-inch longer reach. Paul's also quick with his head, and maybe not enough power for a one-punch KO, but he has enough power that he'll hurt you and punches SO quickly that he can just overwhelm the opponent causing a TKO (see the rematch vs. Quintana or vs. Andy Kolle).