Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Considering Mercer was/is a hasbeen and this was a MMA match, I don't see this as a blackeye for boxing. IMO, Kimbo or any MMA fighter should beat a boxer in an MMA style fight.

Kimbo has no skills outside of brawling. its not like Mercer got beat by an established mma fighter, he got beat by a street fighter

In other news. What an embarrassment for MMA. Ray Mercer who's way past his prime destroys Tim Silva in seconds.

It is indeed an embarrassment for MMA. No way around it. Sylvia is on a steep decline but should have been able to use height, reach, and kicks to dispatch a 40+ year old Mercer. Sad showing. I answered your post in the MMA thread also, Outsider.

LAS VEGAS—Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s boxing comeback has been postponed because the boxer suffered a rib injury while training.

Promoters says Sunday that the July 18 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas will be rescheduled.

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) says in a statement that he had been training hard and was disappointed. Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs) says he will remain focused, in shape and ready to fight a rescheduled bout.

Source

Miguel Cotto overcomes cut, wins split decision against Joshua Clottey

Miguel Cotto gave thousands of his cheering fans exactly what they hoped for on the eve of the national Puerto Rican Day parade.

Overcoming an early cut from an accidental headbutt and several brutal rounds from Joshua Clottey, the popular Cotto fought to a narrow split decision Saturday night inside a packed Madison Square Garden, retaining his WBO welterweight title.

With blood pouring down his face from the third round on, the pride of Caguas and the roughly 800,000 New Yorkers who trace their roots to his island nation threw his arms up at the end of a close and exhilarating bout that left both fighters battered.

Referee Don Trella scored the fight 116-111 and John McKaie 115-112, both for Cotto, while Tom Miller had it 114-113 for Clottey. A mega fight with Pound for pound champion Manny Pacquiao looms next.

dh6aux.jpg

That was a tough fight. But that is how I envsioned it... Cotto and Clottey would batter each other and it would come down to a split decision. They are both warriors.

39155267.jpg

51020738.jpg

12822520.jpg

91083981.jpg

69854249.jpg

30584774.jpg

57469979.jpg

78949285.jpg

c10j.jpg

c11f.jpg

The highly anticipated July 18 fight between Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez has been postponed due to a rib injury sustained by Mayweather while training. The mega-fight was scheduled to take place at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and be televised live on HBO Pay-Per-View.

There is a possibility that the fight will be moved to August 8.

Two weeks ago my source told me:

"Golden Boy Promotion has to make a major decision this coming weeks for profit reasons. The proposed mega ppv fights between pbf vs. marquez is not selling well not only in tickets but also to the regular boxing sponsors tecate, cervesa and budwieser who doesnt like to back up the fight. Even the MGM grand didn't hold even a single ticket for the fight for their retail selling with hotel accomodation, while before the MGM always wanted to buy all the tickets in any major bout. According to Brad, less than 300 tickets has been sold as of this time. And theres no indication that it will surpass to 1,000 tickets this weekend. A very dismal showing for a mega fight or a ppv fight. So GBP is planning to move the schedule to August 8 and instead of PPV it will be shown for free viewing.

GBP is not new to this problem, in two weeks or three GBP will have a major announcement to move the fight because of injury to either marquez or mayweather as the reason to move the fight. They always done this every time they smell something wrong at the box office."

I took this with a grain of salt and was even skeptical. But now it makes sense considering the postponement of the fight.

And HBO.

Well hell, look who you had:

-Ali

-Foreman

-Tyson

-Lewis

Now look who the Ring Top 10 are:

-A flyweight (112)

-A junior bantamweight (115)

-3 junior featherweights (122)

-A lightweight (135)

-A junior welterweight (140)

-2 welterweights (147)

-A light heavyweight (175)

No cruisers, much less heavies

Plus Paul Williams could easily be 11, and he's a middleweight (160) at most, though he'll fight anywhere from 147-168.

Daniel Jacobs was very impressive last night on friday night fights, he's going to make some noise at 160 in a year or two. great combinations, great speed which leads to his power.

Teddy Atlas may soon be training Alexander Potvetkin.............i don't think Atlas likes the Wladimir Klitchko at all lol

lots of fights tonight:

at 9pm(est),Showtime is showing Arthur Abraham vs. Mahir Oral. should be another easy title defense for Abraham

at 10pm(est), HBO has one of the 5 best young prospects in boxing in Victor Ortiz facing Marcos Maidana. With Devon Alexander being the other young gun at 140 stepping way up in competition to fight Junior Witter in early August, this should be Ortiz's last fight before fighting some names at 140. Ortiz has all the tools to be an absolute star in boxing.

on PPV, Juan Manuel Lopez is fighting Olivier Lonchti. Juanma in my opinion is the best young fighter in boxing right now. after he dispatches this guy tonight, its only top names for him. personally i think Juanma beats everybody at 122 right now

That was a great fight. Ortiz' career is over. I'm pretty sure that Oscar won't hype him anymore.You can't quit like that in the ring. Then to say that he won't go out on his back and he doesn't want to take a beating. That is just BAD KARMA for a boxer. I do understand that he wants to have his motor skills when he is older, but he is a boxer. Hit and don't get hit is the sweet science. He brawled and he got tagged. Boxing fans don't want to see people quit in the ring, at least not like that. I didn't think the cut was bad enough to stop the fight. Thought he could have continued. But he didn't box like his folks were telling him to. At least it was good while it lasted. Maidana just made a good name for himself and earned himself a decent payday.

EDIT: Abraham got a 10 round TKO over Oral.

Edited by ksun247

That was a great fight. Ortiz' career is over. I'm pretty sure that Oscar won't hype him anymore.You can't quit like that in the ring. Then to say that he won't go out on his back and he doesn't want to take a beating. That is just BAD KARMA for a boxer. I do understand that he wants to have his motor skills when he is older, but he is a boxer. Hit and don't get hit is the sweet science. He brawled and he got tagged. Boxing fans don't want to see people quit in the ring, at least not like that. I didn't think the cut was bad enough to stop the fight. Thought he could have continued. But he didn't box like his folks were telling him to. At least it was good while it lasted. Maidana just made a good name for himself and earned himself a decent payday.

EDIT: Abraham got a 10 round TKO over Oral.

in his post-fight interview he sounded like he was ready to retire. no boxer should ever say "i'm too young to go out on my back". that is damn near equivalent to career suicide in boxing.

even if you think it and believe it, you don't verbalize it.

that dude had the Golden Boy Promotions machine behind him 100% and he blew it big time tonight.

when Maidana kept getting off the canvas it probably shocked the hell out of Ortiz.

Juan Manuel Lopez dominated Lontchi who didn't come out for the 10th round

complete domination for Juanma, dropping Lontchi in the 2nd & 9th rounds.

hopefully he scores a big fight with one of the 3 top dogs at 122, Izzy Vazquez, Rafael Marquez, or Celestino Caballero

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090701/ap_on_sp_bo_ne/box_arguello_dead

Former boxing champ, Managua mayor Arguello dead

By FILADELFO ALEMAN, Associated Press Writer Filadelfo Aleman, Associated Press Writer 54 mins ago

MANAGUA, Nicaragua – Alexis Arguello, who fought in one of boxing's most classic brawls and reigned supreme at 130 pounds, was found dead at his home early Wednesday.

Presidential spokeswoman Rosario Murillo confirmed Arguello's death and an autopsy was pending. The La Prensa newspaper reported the Arguello — elected mayor of Managua last year — was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

The 57-year-old Arguello retired in 1995 with a record of 82-8 with 65 knockouts and was a champion in three weight divisions. He was perhaps best known for two thrilling battles with Aaron Pryor and fights with Ray Mancini, Bobby Chacon and Ruben Olivares.

"I'm kind of in a daze right now," Pryor told The Associated Press. "Those were great fights we had. This was a great champion."

Nicknamed "The Explosive Thin Man," Arguello was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992, where flags were flying at half-staff in his honor Wednesday.

In 1999, a panel of experts assembled by The Associated Press voted Arguello the best junior lightweight and sixth-best lightweight of the 20th century. He never lost a fight at 130 pounds, and his popularity in his own country was so great that he carried the flag for Nicaragua at the Beijing Olympics.

"Not only was he one of the greatest fighters I've ever seen, he was the most intelligent fighter," Bob Arum, who promoted some of his biggest fights, told the AP. "He was a ring tactician. Every move was thought out. And he was a wonderful, wonderful person."

Arguello turned pro in 1968 and lost his first bout. He didn't lose much more, and six years later knocked out Olivares in the 13th round to win the featherweight title.

Arguello went on to win the super featherweight and lightweight titles, his 5-foot-10 frame and long reach allowing him to move up in weight without losing his tremendous punching power. At the time, he was only the sixth boxer to win championships in three weight classes, and was considered for a while the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

He moved up in weight again in November 1982 to challenge Pryor for the 140-pound belt, a match billed as "Battle of the Champions," and tried to become the first person to win titles in four divisions. More than 23,000 fans packed the Orange Bowl in Miami, and the two waged an epic battle before which Pryor knocked out Arguello in the 14th round.

"It was a brutal, brutal fight," Arum said. "That was something I will never, ever forget as long as I live. That was one of the most memorable fights I ever did."

The bout was named "Fight of the Year" and "Fight of the Decade" by Ring Magazine, but was shrouded by controversy. Pryor's trainer, Panama Lewis, gave him a water bottle after the 13th round that many believe contained an illegal substance — an accusation Pryor denies.

A rematch was ordered and they met again a year later at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. This time, Pryor knocked out Arguello in the 10th round.

Arguello was never the same fighter after losing to Pryor. He won a couple more fights, then was out of the ring from 1986 until 1994, when he made an ill-advised comeback. He retired for good the following year.

"Alexis Arguello was a first-class fighter and a first-class gentleman," said Hall of Fame executive director Edward Brophy. "The Hall of Fame joins the boxing community in mourning the loss of a great champion and friend."

Arguello fought against the Sandinista government in the 1980s after it seized his property and bank account, but later joined the party and ran for mayor of the capital last November. He defeated Eduardo Montealegre, though opponents alleged the vote was fraudulent.

Arguello had returned Sunday from Puerto Rico, where he honored the late baseball Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente. His death prompted Nicaragua President Daniel Ortega to announced he was canceling a trip to Panama for the inauguration of President-elect Ricardo Martinelli.

"We are upset," said Murillo, whose office declined to provide details about Arguello's death. "This is a heartbreaking announcement. He was the champion of the poor, an example of forgiveness and reconciliation."

One of my top 5 all-time faves and an amazing fighter. He shouldn't have moved so far up in weight to fight Pryor but I don't think those 2 bouts tarnished his legacy. Rest in peace, Alexis Arguello. :(

i have him 2nd all-time at 130lbs (only behind Mayweather Jr.)

What a dream fight that would have been. Arguello conquered 3 weight classes with relative ease. His only money fight was to move up again to fight Aaron Pryor. It was one class too high. I watched that fight and my heart broke when Alexis went down in the 14th. For the first 10 rounds he was right in that fight, giving as good as he was getting, but Pryor's strength (and maybe his "special" water bottle) was too much in the late rounds. The 2nd fight never should have happened though. Arguello was the weaker man from the opening bell.

Anyway... Great boxer. For any guys out there that were too young to see him, you should hit YouTube or find some way to view his fights. Dude was awesome and classy.

What a dream fight that would have been. Arguello conquered 3 weight classes with relative ease. His only money fight was to move up again to fight Aaron Pryor. It was one class too high. I watched that fight and my heart broke when Alexis went down in the 14th. For the first 10 rounds he was right in that fight, giving as good as he was getting, but Pryor's strength (and maybe his "special" water bottle) was too much in the late rounds. The 2nd fight never should have happened though. Arguello was the weaker man from the opening bell.

Anyway... Great boxer. For any guys out there that were too young to see him, you should hit YouTube or find some way to view his fights. Dude was awesome and classy.

me & my boy have literally had hours longs discussions on Mayweather Jr. vs. Arguello in their respective primes lol. i would've given alot to see that fight at 130lbs

Arguello was a definite legend of the sport

i always find it such a testament to boxing (and combat sports in general) that 2 men can go through the kind of wars that Pryor/Arguello and come out of it closer than ever

me & my boy have literally had hours longs discussions on Mayweather Jr. vs. Arguello in their respective primes lol. i would've given alot to see that fight at 130lbs

Arguello was a definite legend of the sport

i always find it such a testament to boxing (and combat sports in general) that 2 men can go through the kind of wars that Pryor/Arguello and come out of it closer than ever

everyone will find out in September how sickly overrated PBF really is. The man has dodged competition his whole career. I think Arguello would have ***** slapped him. Mayweather had problems with an over the hill De la hoya.

De la hoya would have ***** slapped him if they would have fought when they both were in their primes.

I want to see Floyd fight the best in the sport: Cotto, Williams, Mosley.....until then, he gets no respect or top 2 mentions from me.

everyone will find out in September how sickly overrated PBF really is. The man has dodged competition his whole career. I think Arguello would have ***** slapped him. Mayweather had problems with an over the hill De la hoya.

De la hoya would have ***** slapped him if they would have fought when they both were in their primes.

I want to see Floyd fight the best in the sport: Cotto, Williams, Mosley.....until then, he gets no respect or top 2 mentions from me.

notice i said top 2 at 130lbs

he fought DLH at 154lbs!!!!!! DLH had every advantage he wanted.............except boxing skill

to say he's dodged comp his whole career is ridiculous. floyd fought all top competition at 130, not only that, he finished them

you can question his competition level at 140 and above, but at 130 & 135 floyd fought most if not all the top flight guys before moving up

Edited by StillUnknown