Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

some more info on the mega-tourney from ESPN's Dan Rafael's blog:

The way fighters will advance to the semifinals is by collecting points. A fighter will get two points for a victory, with an additional point given for a knockout. One point is awarded for a draw. No points are awarded for a loss.

The four fighters with the highest point totals advance to the semifinals and will be seeded based on who has the most points. The fighter who has racked up the most points faces the fighter among the four semifinalists with the fewest points. The No. 2 and No. 3 point earners face each other in the other semifinal.

And what if there is a tie in points at the semifinal stage? Easy. If two fighters who have already faced each other are tied, the winner of that bout will be the one to advance to the semis. If there is a tie between fighters who have not fought, the guy with the most stoppage wins in the tournament advances. If there is still a tie, they'll go to the official scorecards of each fighter's tournament bouts and add them up, with the leader advancing. If the ties continue, the ultimate decision will be made with a coin flip.

Hershman has been very thorough -- and secretive -- in this whole process. But, from what I understand, he made at least one trip to Germany to meet with Abraham's handlers. He also worked closely to get Al Haymon, the adviser of Taylor and Dirrell, on board before getting their promoters involved.

Hershman has come up with contingencies in the event of a no contest, a positive drug test and even if a fighter fails to make the 168-pound limit. There are also contingencies in the event of a draw in the semifinals, not to mention language in the contract that addresses everything from sponsorship revenue sharing to ticket allotments.

Hershman has also covered himself in another critical area, that of mandatory obligations of the titleholders. They won't get in the way. By entering the tournament, the fighters and their promoters expressly agree that the tournament takes precedence over a mandatory bout, although a mandatory could take place if it's within the context of the tournament.

i'm slightly optimistic this will come to fruition

much respect for Showtime for even attempting to pull something like this off

if this comes off, maybe it can lead to more down the line in other stacked divisions

Edited by StillUnknown

How they would leave the best boxer in that division out of that tourney is odd. War Pavlik.

Pavlik isn't in the division, he fights at 160

Super MW is 168

the last time Pavlik left 160 he was embarrassed by B-Hop

Abraham his moving up from 160 because he's damn near killing himself to stay at 160

if they get the names they mentioned, the only names at 168 that would be left out would be Lucian Bute, Librado Andrade, & maybe Allan Greene

Edited by StillUnknown

he fought DLH at 154lbs!!!!!! DLH had every advantage he wanted.............except boxing skill

Oscar was way past his prime at that point, and still almost beat Floyd. that was a close fight, some think Oscar won (I think they got it right)

to say he's dodged comp his whole career is ridiculous. floyd fought all top competition at 130, not only that, he finished them

you can question his competition level at 140 and above, but at 130 & 135 floyd fought most if not all the top flight guys before moving up

that is a fair statement....but the competition wasn't too stiff in the 130-135 class when Floyd was fighting in that weight class.

If Paul Williams, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and Antonio Margarito were fighting at 135 when Floyd was in that weight class....he wouldn't have fought them.

Floyd is taking the "easy" way out fighting Marquez. Everyone knows the three biggest fights for him are Shane Mosley, Pacman, and Cotto...but Floyd wants no part of any of those fighters. He is a fraud.

notice how I said "easy" in quotations.....Marquez will give Mayweather fits!

Edited by Gator Bait

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20831

^^^^Showtime is trying to put together a super middleweight tourney. if this goes according to plan, it will be HUGE

it would be the best thing to happen to boxing in years

this is too much like right...............so it probably won't happen :(

we can only dream HBO will counter with a welterweight tourney:

Mayweather

Cotto

Mosley

Williams

Pacquiao

Clottey

Berto

Collazo

I think this division is the deepest division of star studded fighters I've ever seen since watching boxing.

Pavlik isn't in the division, he fights at 160

Super MW is 168

the last time Pavlik left 160 he was embarrassed by B-Hop

Abraham his moving up from 160 because he's damn near killing himself to stay at 160

if they get the names they mentioned, the only names at 168 that would be left out would be Lucian Bute, Librado Andrade, & maybe Allan Greene

B-Hop was a match-up nightmare for Pavlik. I think Pavlik could hold his own in this tournament, but he probably kept his name out of the hat for a reason.

that is a fair statement....but the competition wasn't too stiff in the 130-135 class when Floyd was fighting in that weight class.

If Paul Williams, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and Antonio Margarito were fighting at 135 when Floyd was in that weight class....he wouldn't have fought them.

i respect your boxing knowledge but i gotta disagree. floyd fought top guys at the time at 130 & 135, he didn't start pickin and choosing till he got to 140

at 130 he fought:

Genaro Hernandez, 38-1 at the time, who hadn't lost in the division. floyd finished him inside of 8

Angel Manfredy, 25-2 at the time, this fight was not considered to be one-sided when it was made. floyd finished him in 2 rounds

Carlos Rios, 44-2 at the time, only lost 1 round on the 1 judges scorecard, swept the other cards

Justin Juuko, 33-2 at the time, floyd knocked him out

Carlos Gerena, 35-2 at the time, knocked him out

Diego Coralles, undefeated considered to be top 5 p4p at the time, we all know what happened in this fight

Jesus Chavez, 35-1 at the time, his corner stopped the fight

@ 135lbs he fought

Castillo twice (i score the first fight a draw, the 2nd clearly went to mayweather)

Victoriano Sosa, 35-2 at the time, barely lost a round

Philip NDou, 31-1 with 30ko's, floyd knocked him out (one of floyd's better offensive performances

those dudes were all quality opposition, and outside the Castillo fight, floyd dominated all of them and finished most of them

one more point, Floyd has called out SSM many times as he was climbing up the weights. shane once turned it down because he a "toothache". Williams/Cotto/Margarito all have legit gripes with PBF. Shane doesn't

B-Hop was a match-up nightmare for Pavlik. I think Pavlik could hold his own in this tournament, but he probably kept his name out of the hat for a reason.

maybe since abraham is movin up in weight, and the MW division is looking bare, perhaps Pavlik will fight Paul Williams

i would like to see that match

if Paul's chin can handle Pavlik, i think he would win. paul's shown a world class chin so far in his career, but pavlik is a legit MW power puncher

i respect your boxing knowledge but i gotta disagree. floyd fought top guys at the time at 130 & 135, he didn't start pickin and choosing till he got to 140

at 130 he fought:

Genaro Hernandez, 38-1 at the time, who hadn't lost in the division. floyd finished him inside of 8

Angel Manfredy, 25-2 at the time, this fight was not considered to be one-sided when it was made. floyd finished him in 2 rounds

Carlos Rios, 44-2 at the time, only lost 1 round on the 1 judges scorecard, swept the other cards

Justin Juuko, 33-2 at the time, floyd knocked him out

Carlos Gerena, 35-2 at the time, knocked him out

Diego Coralles, undefeated considered to be top 5 p4p at the time, we all know what happened in this fight

Jesus Chavez, 35-1 at the time, his corner stopped the fight

@ 135lbs he fought

Castillo twice (i score the first fight a draw, the 2nd clearly went to mayweather)

Victoriano Sosa, 35-2 at the time, barely lost a round

Philip NDou, 31-1 with 30ko's, floyd knocked him out (one of floyd's better offensive performances

those dudes were all quality opposition, and outside the Castillo fight, floyd dominated all of them and finished most of them

one more point, Floyd has called out SSM many times as he was climbing up the weights. shane once turned it down because he a "toothache". Williams/Cotto/Margarito all have legit gripes with PBF. Shane doesn't

I don't doubt you for a minute that Floyd fought the best 130-135 had to offer....I just question the competition (which isn't his fault) Castillo was probably the best fighter he fought in that time frame, and I don't think he could hold a candle to any of the fighters I listed in 147.

I wasn't aware of Mosley backing out of a fight because of a tooth ache, but it is in my opinion that he would destroy Floyd. Shane is just as fast and has superior offensive boxing skills; he is also much stronger.

In my mind, Floyd got off easy fighting non hall of fame fighters his entire career (besides a couple matches) and still has a lot to prove before he can crown himself pound for pound king again. I just plain out don't like the guy!

maybe since abraham is movin up in weight, and the MW division is looking bare, perhaps Pavlik will fight Paul Williams

i would like to see that match

if Paul's chin can handle Pavlik, i think he would win. paul's shown a world class chin so far in his career, but pavlik is a legit MW power puncher

I heard talk about a Williams-Pavlik fight a while back, not sure what happened.

If Paul Williams can develop a solid jab, he will be unbeatable in any division from 147-168

I'm not trying to know Pavlik; but I think he has been exposed. I'm really surprised he was able to beat Taylor twice. I probably give Taylor more credit than he deserves, but I think he is a top notch fighter. I don't know if he has a poor work ethic, or maybe a lousy trainer, but he has the tools to be a great fighter. He has Froch beat until he ran out of gas. He either isn't hungry enough, doesn't have the heart, or doesn't have the proper training camp.

I'm putting my money on Taylor getting it together and winning this showtime championship.

We should get an extremeskins fight night together to watch some of the big fights. There are a couple guys on this board (including yourself) who seem to really know boxing...would be fun to watch some of the fights with the people we debate with on here.

***edit**** just noticed you live in SC....guess you wont be making any fight nights

Edited by Gator Bait

I don't think it would be that huge. Wouldn't be much of a fight either....but I'd still pay to see it.
$ as in fun to watch. Hell, could get Paul more coverage. I'd like to see B-Hop vs. Paul, but Hop said no :(

$ as in fun to watch. Hell, could get Paul more coverage. I'd like to see B-Hop vs. Paul, but Hop said no :(

Paul will probably fight Pavlik like he fought Margarito.

I think B Hop would beat Williams if he didn't develop a better jab in training camp.

there will be a press conference in NY monday with all fighters present to officially announce the tourney. i didn't think it would come off, and there are still things like injury that could derail it, but you have to credit the network, the promoters, and most of all the fighters for getting this one done

173139.jpg

the best thing about this tourney is that there is no clear cut overwhelming favorite. i could make legitimate arguments for each fighter winning this tournament

there will be a press conference in NY monday with all fighters present to officially announce the tourney. i didn't think it would come off, and there are still things like injury that could derail it, but you have to credit the network, the promoters, and most of all the fighters for getting this one done

173139.jpg

the best thing about this tourney is that there is no clear cut overwhelming favorite. i could make legitimate arguments for each fighter winning this tournament

I've got Taylor rebounding from recent disappointments winning the tournament overwhelmingly.

police are saying his wife is the prime suspect

on another note Vic Darchinyan lost to Joseph Agbeko last night

Someone told me before I had a chance to watch the DVRed recording (watched UFC 100 live)

What happened to Darchinyan? I'm really surprised he lost....I know he moved up in weight for the fight, but still!

Someone told me before I had a chance to watch the DVRed recording (watched UFC 100 live)

What happened to Darchinyan? I'm really surprised he lost....I know he moved up in weight for the fight, but still!

Agbeko is a good fighter, just relatively unknown. he has a great chin and is a slick fighter, something Vic's not really used to dealing with. i thought Vic would win, but i'm not entirely surprised he lost

I've got Taylor rebounding from recent disappointments winning the tournament overwhelmingly.

if he works on his stamina, he has a great shot at winning this tourney. he just never seems to fight relaxed, he fights like he's tightly wounded. i think Abraham will drop him with a brutal counter shot. Abraham's power is ridiculous

i still haven't made my final pick for the tourney overall, still trying to break down the matchups. lol

Edited by StillUnknown

a8f9kWard couldn't make the press conference due to the flu.

i saw the photo shoot promoting the tourney on youtube. it was pretty cool to see all the fighters (minus ward due to the flu) laughing and joking with each other. this tourney has greatness written all over it. some quotes from the press conference:

Arthur Abraham:

“I’m very happy to be in New York for the tournament. I want to win. I came here to participate and win. Each fighter, they are all exceptionally good, one better then the next. But I am here to win.’’

Andre Dirrell:

“Thank God and my Savior Jesus Christ. My heart is going 100 miles per hour. It is beating like hell. This is the biggest stage of my career. It is not because it is the hardest. I know I am in a blessed position and the position to be the best of all-time….I thank SHOWTIME, Al Haymon, the three Europeans and my grandfather. I am ecstatic. I have this tingling feeling. I had that feeling when I came through the curtains today. I had that same feeling at the Olympic Games each time I entered the ring. I know it is my time. It is my time to shine. I love being the underdog. I am going to be in the finals. Whoever is there, that is who it will be (on predicting who he will meet in finals). I guarantee you I’ll be there. I have been hungry for a long time. I just want to get it on. I am the only one here not wearing a suit. I want to wear a suit. (On Froch) “I begged for that fight. Froch is tailor-made for me. He hasn’t showed me anything. I think this will be my easiest fight. If he can beat me, then he’s a true champion. (But) I will be victorious. I’m focused on getting the WBC title. Then, I’ll get the WBA and leave the tournament with both belts. Kessler stands out the most. He has only one defeat and has the most experience. My concern is not getting cut. I am naturally gifted and I will let the world know who I am. It’s a big plus that everyone knows they have three fights. I’m super hungry. All these are top guys and it’s going to take the best to beat the best. But I’m in a beautiful position. I’ve had only 18 fights. I’ll be unbearable. Everyone’s a world champ. It’s a one-man game, every man for himself. I don’t care about the USA vs. Europe. Ward has the most prestigious position having won the gold.”

Carl Froch:

“Thanks to all the promoters, and especially Ken Hershman for having the vision to put this together. I will remain the WBC champion throughout this tournament. All the fighters deserve to be here. We mean business and we are taking this seriously. I’m going to be the last man standing. I’m a world champion and I’ve worked so hard to get here that I’m not giving my belt up for anyone. This is what boxing is supposed to be about with the best fighting the best. These are the kind of challenges I’ve always wanted and I’m really fired up for this tournament. It forces the best fighters in the division to all face each other and that’s something that has been missing from boxing in recent years. You’ve got established champions like Mikkel Kessler and Arthur Abraham, a former undisputed world champion like Jermain Taylor, who I already know all about, and then you have the two rising stars from the U.S., Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell. Right now Andre Dirrell is something of an unknown quantity for me because I haven’t seen very much of him. He’s coming into this tournament on the back of a lot of hype and he certainly talks a good fight. It’s in the ring that it will count though, that’s where he will have to back it up. But he’s big at the weight, he’s got that great amateur pedigree, he’s unbeaten and he’s some good scalps on his record. So he’s definitely a dangerous opponent for my first fight. Ultimately I believe the series will come down to myself and Mikkel Kessler in the final. He’s a reigning world champion just like me and I believe the experience of being world champ gives you that extra edge. He’s an excellent fighter but I believe I’m the best of the bunch and it’s just about going out now and proving that.”

Mikkel Kessler:

“Thank you to all the promoters and to SHOWTIME. This is a big opportunity for me to test myself. I never thought this would happen but when I got the call I said, ‘of course, I want to be a part of it.’ This is a big opportunity for me and all the fighters. A big thank you to all, and may the best fighter win.’’

Jermain Taylor:

“I don’t really care who I fight, with me there’s always plenty of action in the ring. Arthur Abraham is a brawler. I’m going to box him. That’s the key to winning the fight and beating a brawler. Who wants it more……..we will find out soon. A fighter’s power will be key in this tournament; everyone has power. There will be KOs in most of the matches, but I will outbox Abraham. I’m glad to be a participant in this tournament SHOWTIME has put together. It’s good for boxing and the fans.”

Dan Goosen (on behalf of Andre Ward):

“I apologize for Andre Ward not being here, but he is in Mexico and he has a case of the flu and is on antibiotics. I think this tournament will deliver great ratings and media support, but it will really be great for the boxing fans. When this concept was brought to our attention, I saw the greatness in it for the fighters. I believe the fans have always insisted on something like this. No gimmicks. No give and take on the weight. Everything is there before you. The best are fighting the best. Real champions. Real Olympians. I believe the winners will become stars. Not one star, but I think this tournament will create two or three stars. I think it will take these fighters to a whole different level. When Ken Hershman met with me — instead of Ken giving me the contract, I gave Ken the contract to get this started. There are great champions among the Europeans. Ward is the last gold medalist. You are going to see his great talent as he challenges these fighters. I think he will be achieving his greatness in the tournament and he will be the winner of this tournament. This brings boxing to the levels of the other major sports. With the tournament format the fighters now have the chance to not only win the division championship and their conference championship but to take it to the Super Bowl. That I believe is what has driven these fighters to put it all on the line for supremacy. Andre has been on the biggest world stage as any of these athletes. It doesn’t get any bigger than the Olympics and he overcame all of the odds on becoming the only Gold medalist for the U.S. And we believe that he is ready to go front and center on the professional world stage and be able to do what Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya did after winning gold.”

i still haven't come close to making a pick in this tournament

on a sidenote, Andre Ward joined the promo tour in Denmark

Edited by StillUnknown