Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

As long as Pacquiao is with Arum, its not worth discussing because it won't happen. I don't really care to see him fight Alexander or Khan, but I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Garcia.

Every fighter south of 160lbs will be a massive underdog against Mayweather, Garcia has at least earned the payday. Not to mention, Mayweather Sr./Angel Garcia would make for some hilarious promo leading up to the fight.

Part of me still thinks Khan presents the biggest threat of the 3 realistic possibilities. Khan's biggest problem is fight IQ, but if he fought a disciplined fight, he has the tools you would want to fight Floyd (good jab, speed and length to box from range). I don't think there's a chance in hell that Khan would stay disciplined long enough to get a decision though.

Mayweather's Philly Shell is bafflingly good.  Notice how he kept that right hand against his jaw all damn night long.  Even when Alvarez tried timing Floyd to drop that hand, Floyd held it up there to block.  I was waiting for him to drop it once to let a big bomb through, nope.

The jabs to the body at the beginning of the fight?  Fastest **** I've ever seen.  Twitch reflexes are ridiculous.

That said, the thing that stands out is that he doesn't ever look interested in finishing his opponents.  Sure, an all-time great, but being too fast to hit is, to me, not as impressive as whooping up on other elites on a consistent basis.

And he should have fought Pacman when Pac was zippin and zappin.

Mayweather hand-picks a young, relatively inexperienced opponent with a considerable speed deficit and jabs, pot-shots and mugs his way to a boring 12 rd. decision.  It wasn't great sport, it wasn't Leornard v Hagler and...nearly every one of you, in the back of your mind, knows you've been fleeced.

Blather on about "great defense" and "reflexes" all you want but, at the end of the day, you just paid $ 54.95 to watch Die Hard pt.15...a sequel to a sequel to a sequel of a movie that sucked.  

Mayweather hand-picks a young, relatively inexperienced opponent with a considerable speed deficit and jabs, pot-shots and mugs his way to a boring 12 rd. decision.  It wasn't great sport, it wasn't Leornard v Hagler and...nearly every one of you, in the back of your mind, knows you've been fleeced.

Blather on about "great defense" and "reflexes" all you want but, at the end of the day, you just paid $ 54.95 to watch Die Hard pt.15...a sequel to a sequel to a sequel of a movie that sucked.  

Nope I enjoyed the fight throughly, the co-mainevent lived up to the hype and I just enjoy Mayweathers technical style of boxing. Mayweather is just better than Alvarez almost at any age unless Mayweather is over the hill in his 40s, it wasn't about experience this fight it was all about skill one guy was on a totally different level. Problem with Mayweather's opponets they are all great fighters he make them all look ordinary, hes THAT GOOD. 

I thought Canelo could have been busier but man the man was getting countered and timed all night, its easy for us to say watching the fight and not taking those straight rights and stiff jabs all night long. Mayweather didn't really break in the left hook like he usually do didn't need it his jab and his straight right was "money" all night long. Canelo wasn't drained he did a great job taking that weight off and rehydrating for the fight he looked big and strong.

ALL ACCESS Canelo and his people was bragging about how he is mualing his sparring partners and knocking them all out and having hard a hard time replacing them quickly enough for work, Mayweathers response I AINT NO ****ING SPARRING PARTNER SO THEY CAN CUT THAT **** OUT.

• Like 1

On top of that B Hop while he's a technician like Mayweather hes different he's one of the most dirtiest fighters in history, he uses every trick in the book plus he holds ALOT! BHop doesn't have the skills like Mayweather, he's just crafty is hell. One thing I will say is they are both genius in the ring might be 2 of the smartest fighters in history when it comes to adjustments.

People say Mayweather only fight little guys hell Bhop made a living off fighting guys much smaller than him Oscar, and Trinidad to name a few.

Still stuck in disbelief.

Really if mayweather wasn't as sharp they was going for the robbery all 3 judges, I had a hard time giving Canelo 2 rounds let alone 4 and I am not even going to talk about the draw.

Canelo was not "hand picked". After his fight with Trout, he was the boxing community's and casual fan's preferred choice to fight Mayweather, and a great many of people expected Floyd to avoid him. There's a reason this fight will set a lot of records, its because it was biggest realistic fight could have been made at the time.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume everybody though it was boring. Mayweather did a lot more than pot shot his way to a victory last night. Floyd's brand of boxing of is a beautiful thing to watch for technique snobs like myself. Fighters who choose to go "full Gatti" usually do so because they don't have the defensive capabilities like Floyd. If you have an all-time great skill set like Floyd's defense, you would be a fool not to use it. There will always be all-out brawlers in boxing, what Floyd does is unique and special and many people enjoy his style.

I paid $75 for the HD feed and I'm quite happy with my purchase. The only fight I didn't like last night was Molina/Smith, the other 3 were entertaining in different ways.

• Like 3

I honestly think he could retire right now. I wanted to see Mayweather/Pac back in 2009. At this point, I don't even care anymore about it. I wanted him to fight Canelo because I thought Canelo would give him a little trouble, but he just whooped his ass. There's really no one left other than Pac that's worthy of getting in the ring with him.

He's not retiring because of his Showtime/CBS deal. But he is running out of PPV quality opponents.

Also people underestimate how good Roger Mayweather is as a trainer, and Floyd Senior when he happens to be around...lol. People don't take into account that PBF has pretty much eaten, drunken, and breathed boxing and everything there is too it, since birth, All they do is hear soundbites that rub them the wrong way during a press conference and then write Mayweather off as something he's not.

Floyd's ability to anticipate and react to everything his opponent throws at him, before they actually do it, is amazing.

There was tons of close combat in the fight last night, and Mayweather would dodge and use great head movement to avoid big shots while instantly countering with big shots as a receipt. 

Edited by NoCalMike

As long as Pacquiao is with Arum, its not worth discussing because it won't happen. I don't really care to see him fight Alexander or Khan, but I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Garcia.

Every fighter south of 160lbs will be a massive underdog against Mayweather, Garcia has at least earned the payday. Not to mention, Mayweather Sr./Angel Garcia would make for some hilarious promo leading up to the fight.

Part of me still thinks Khan presents the biggest threat of the 3 realistic possibilities. Khan's biggest problem is fight IQ, but if he fought a disciplined fight, he has the tools you would want to fight Floyd (good jab, speed and length to box from range). I don't think there's a chance in hell that Khan would stay disciplined long enough to get a decision though.

You're probably 100% correct and I must say, I'm done shelling out a lot of money to see one-sided matches. If Pacquiao wins convincingly in November and Mayweather is not fighting him in May, I WILL NOT be ordering.

Everything Mayweather gets bashed for, Bernard Hopkins gets praised for. It's mind-boggling.

I disagree from the standpoint that Hopkins has always been bashed for having boring fights because he has super human defense and is a counter puncher.

The casual fan wants to see Rios/Alvarez every time out and don't appreciate the beauty of the true boxers. Those are the same people cheering every time Canelo threw a bomb and whiffed or hit Floyd's gloves. It's actually kind of comical.

Im all about The Money Team, but Garcia is the guy who shined the most. Really happy people starting to see that he is a great future talent.

I hope he avoids Floyd for at least 18 months though, not ready for that yet.

Floyd is a special fighter. He really shut Canelo out, but the thing is I was not surprised. Canelo is kind of a hype job, but he can still bang and Floyd just stifled him. 

This was his best performance since beating Marquez, imo.

It seems like Mayweather has gotten better in his last few fights, as far as giving into the pressure from his detractors. Because he sat in the pocket all fight long against Canelo, and still made him miss and hit great counter shots.  Looked like he might have had Canelo wobbled in the middle rounds.

Yet his haters will still give him no credit and say things like "he just runs" which is just total nonsense.

his dad has really helped him change things. Floyd's movement last night was incredible.

How demoralized was Canelo here, lol

LBtuyth.gif

also, Showtime's boxing coverage has destroyed the clown outfit that HBO had given us the last 10 years.

This was a one-sided beatdown. If Pacquiao wins in November, that's STILL the best fight for Mayweather. Does anyone really want to see him beat Khan, Alexander or Garcia?

I actually agree with this.

Not that its the best fight, but that its the big money fight.

The casual fan wants to see Rios/Alvarez every time out and don't appreciate the beauty of the true boxers. Those are the same people cheering every time Canelo threw a bomb and whiffed or hit Floyd's gloves. It's actually kind of comical.

yup, like this fella:

No way I was shelling out my hard-earned money on a fight with no chance of a knockout. Plus, I will never rent any Mayweather fight after the way he ran from Pac. Floyd is the most overrated fighter of all time.

Floyd is a special fighter. He really shut Canelo out, but the thing is I was not surprised. Canelo is kind of a hype job, but he can still bang and Floyd just stifled him. 

This was his best performance since beating Marquez, imo.

his dad has really helped him change things. Floyd's movement last night was incredible.

How demoralized was Canelo here, lol

LBtuyth.gif

also, Showtime's boxing coverage has destroyed the clown outfit that HBO had given us the last 10 years.

Showtime's trio works really well together. As an MMA fan, its a pleasure watching Mauro Ranallo commentate the biggest fight in the world. He was around when MMA was in its infancy, calling fights that you could only watch by physically trading VHS tapes, now he's calling the biggest fights in the world. Al Bernstein is natural on the mic and as much I hated Malignaggi as a boxer, he is probably the best fighter turned commentator.

I was looking for a gif of that moment of that fight. Hilarious stuff, almost reminds me of back in the day when Floyd was talking football with the commentators in the middle of throwing combos.

• Like 1

I don't think Canelo is hype. As long as he doesn't let this fight linger mentally, he'll be fine. The Trout fight answered my questions about him. He has a lot of skill, Mayweather was just too much, too soon.

A lot of people thought he lost that Trout fight. It was close. And again, he looked gassed in the later rounds.

Kevin IoleVerified account
‏@KevinI
The PPV numbers for #TheOne won't be announced til later in the week. That said, from info I'm getting, I'm guessing around 2.36 or 2.37 mil

Kevin IoleVerified account
‏@KevinI
Of course, that's just a guess I'm making based upon a lot of factors and the final number could be higher or lower. I am NOT reporting that

looking like it will be very close to the record