Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

It depends on who he fights. People love giving him ALL the credit for the PPV buyrates.

And if you notice, a lot of his PPV's seem to have a co-feature.

All PPV's and boxing cards in general have a co-feature, its just rare that anybody really cares. The co-feature doesn't move the buyrate unless its an abnormal situation. 

The co-feature to Floyd/Guerrero was Mares/Ponce De Leon. Mares/PDL is a decent fight, but nobody would pay ppv money to see that fight. Its hard enough to just to remember what the co-feature fight was to so many ppv cards (without looking it up, can you recall the co-features of Floyd/Mosely, Pacquiao/Margarito, or even Sergio/JCC?). If it hard to remember who fought, its not moving the needle one way or the other.

Thats why its really surprising that Golden Boy is putting Garcia/Matthysse on the card. Its one of boxing's most requested fights, but I don't see it encouraging people who weren't already going to buy Floyd/Canelo. The truth of the matter is that you could put two squirrels fighting as the co-feature and Floyd vs. Canelo still does 2 million buys.

You know what I'm talking about. Alverez/Mosley was a co-feature on one of his cards. Two fighters with a built-in fan base. And I often wonder just how much a Mayweather PPV would do if he wasn't fighting a Mexican or a Puerto Rican fighter. And know as well as I do, they're probably the most passionate fans there is.

No one's debating whether Mayweather is the biggest draw, but I think his drawing power is a bit overrated. Let him fight Second Alexander or Tim Bradley and see just how much he draws.

Seth Mitchell vs. Chris Arreola tomorrow night on Showtime

I'm somewhat intrigued by this fight. This is a "show me" fight for Mitchell. He avenged his loss to Banks, but was pretty dull in doing so. Arreola was dominated in his last fight by Benard Stiverne. Win or lose, I don't like Mitchell's chances in even a faded HW division. This is a 50/50 fight though. Arreola is hyper aggressive and has serious power, Banks showed that Mtichell has a very weak chin. That said, Arreola is a lot easier to hit than Banks and Mitchell's speed should be a weapon if he chooses to use it.

Mitchell needs land something hard early in the fight to deter some of Arreola's aggression. Stiverne hit Arreola with a punch from hell early in their fight and it gave him more room to operate later. I think Mitchell will have some bright moments, but ultimately his weak chin will be his downfall when Arreola connects. He won't be able to hold on for dear life like he did with Banks. Arreola wins by (T)KO in the 4-6 rounds.

Edited by StillUnknown

You know what I'm talking about. Alverez/Mosley was a co-feature on one of his cards. Two fighters with a built-in fan base. And I often wonder just how much a Mayweather PPV would do if he wasn't fighting a Mexican or a Puerto Rican fighter. And know as well as I do, they're probably the most passionate fans there is.

No one's debating whether Mayweather is the biggest draw, but I think his drawing power is a bit overrated. Let him fight Second Alexander or Tim Bradley and see just how much he draws.

Mayweather generally does good numbers with anybody he fights. Look at his numbers for Mosely, Judah, or even Sharmba Mitchell. Yes these fighters already have a "built-in" fanbase but that's because Floyd isn't normally fighting "no-name" fighters.

Mayweather generally does good numbers with anybody he fights. Look at his numbers for Mosely, Judah, or even Sharmba Mitchell. Yes these fighters already have a "built-in" fanbase but that's because Floyd isn't normally fighting "no-name" fighters.

Mosley was still a big enough star to generate some numbers. Zab was still a pretty hot fighter at the time they fought. As for Mitchell, I don't even remember that fight.

What numbers did he do against Guerrero? And I'm not nieve. If he would have done good numbers in that fight, we would not be getting Alverez/Mayweather. That's just my opinion.

I'm not saying that Floyd can do 2mil with any and every fighter no matter of their star power. But what I am saying is that there is a reason everybody wants to fight Floyd and most times it's not because they truly believe they can win. But more so because it will guarantee them their highest payday. Fighters are only guaranteed career high purses because of the amount of money the fight itself will generate.

If you compare the numbers of any other ppv fighter to Mayweather's, they pale in comparison. You mention Tim Bradley.. what were Pacquiao's numbers with Bradley?? Do you think if Floyd fought Bradley he wouldn't top those numbers??

Edited by T-REX1240

Mayweather is such a polarizing figure though that you find a lot of folks buying his PPVs cause they want to see him go down.

You don't get that with Pac. Now if Pac is fighting a mexican fighter you get both fanbases buying, but Mayweather gets his fans, his opponent's fans, and then a third base who careless who he is fighting they just want him to lose.

Either way it is more $$$$

Mayweather is such a polarizing figure though that you find a lot of folks buying his PPVs cause they want to see him go down.

You don't get that with Pac. Now if Pac is fighting a mexican fighter you get both fanbases buying, but Mayweather gets his fans, his opponent's fans, and then a third base who careless who he is fighting they just want him to lose.

Either way it is more $$$$

Regardless of where the drawing power is derived from, the fact is Mayweather has more drawing power than anybody else. So because he is the biggest draw, he will naturally generate the most revenue and do the biggest numbers. He may not be liked inside or outside the ring, but he is definitely a marketing genius.

Regardless of where the drawing power is derived from, the fact is Mayweather has more drawing power than anybody else. So because he is the biggest draw, he will naturally generate the most revenue and do the biggest numbers. He may not be liked inside or outside the ring, but he is definitely a marketing genius.

Oh definitely and not only that but he puts on a show and backs up the hype by winning. Hell he offered Pac 40 million in their potential fight, more than Pac has ever made or probably ever will make in a fight and Pac still wouldn't take it.

He's polarizing, but he's really not that popular of a draw all by himself. I still don't put him as big a draw as Oscar or Tyson. Those two could have fought anybody and it would have done great business. I don't think you can do that with Floyd.

Oh definitely and not only that but he puts on a show and backs up the hype by winning. Hell he offered Pac 40 million in their potential fight, more than Pac has ever made or probably ever will make in a fight and Pac still wouldn't take it.

Are we going there again? I guess Pac should have accepted a flat $40M while Floyd would have walked away with well over $100M and ALL of the PPV revenue. I don't care if Pac wasn't going to ever $40M, I don't think he wants to be short-changed. And while we're on the subject, will Mayweather ever make the kind of $ he would have made fighting Pacquiao? So maybe he should have sweetened the deal.

I'm no hater, I'm just not gonna fall for all dudes BS that many others fall for. Any boxing fan with half a brain should have called dude out as soon as he came up with the "take the test" BS. I can't believe so many of y'all actually bought into that.

• Like 1

Your no hater but its pretty much a guarantee that anytime anyone posts something about mayweather youll be the first one replying w some negative nonsense. Ok we get it, ur not a fan but damn whens enough enough w u

No, I speak the truth about dude. Someone has to keep it balanced.

He's polarizing, but he's really not that popular of a draw all by himself. I still don't put him as big a draw as Oscar or Tyson. Those two could have fought anybody and it would have done great business. I don't think you can do that with Floyd.

That's crazy you say he's not that big of a draw all by himself when his name is attached to so many ppv, revenue, and live gate records. No he isn't doing 2mil buys alone with a no-name fighter but the fact is you can put any two fighters in the ring together and they will generate any said amount of $$. Then take each of those fighters and one by one put them in the ring with Floyd and he'll shatter said amount easily. That is why he's acknowledged as the biggest draw in the sport.

You do some research to compare Oscar's and Tyson's numbers to Floyd's and get back to me. Let me know what you come up with.

...and as to the fact that you say those two could do great numbers with any fighter and Floyd can't.....?? That is confusing to me all in itself. In today's ppv industry, 750,000 buys is a hugely successful ppv business night. Yet anything under 1mil for Floyd is considered a failure. That fact says it all right there. Every fighter is held to a standard. Mayweather's is a lot higher than any other fighter. If Mayweather turned in a ppv outing that only generated 700k buys, can you imagine the backlash he'd get for that?? But if Manny turns in those numbers, it's all well and fine....

Are we going there again? I guess Pac should have accepted a flat $40M while Floyd would have walked away with well over $100M and ALL of the PPV revenue. I don't care if Pac wasn't going to ever $40M, I don't think he wants to be short-changed. And while we're on the subject, will Mayweather ever make the kind of $ he would have made fighting Pacquiao? So maybe he should have sweetened the deal.

Mayweather has said plenty of times he never told Manny he would get none of the ppv revenue. He gave him the 40mil offer and told him they can sit and negotiate the back end. The back end means the ppv checks that roll in years down the line. No Manny would not have made what Floyd made for the fight but can you honestly say he deserved to??

Edited by T-REX1240

I have never heard Floyd say they can negotiate PPV revenue. I just heard a flat rate of $40M. And maybe not as much, but back then, he certainly deserved more than what Floyd was offering.

I agree 100%. He should have been offered a bigger flat fee only going off of what the fight would have generated at the time. But I will say this, if they were to fight today Paq would be lucky to be offered half that amount.

Hate the time difference here in Hawaii. I just saw the fight.  I was pulling for Seth, but he has no chin.  He was on easy street with the 1st punch he got hit cleanly with. He's in the wrong weight class to have no chin.  Didn't think he would lose in the 1st. Figured he would last a few rounds.  But it's time for him to call it a career, if he wants to have a healthy future outside of the ring.