Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

No defense and he fights flat footed. Shane by KO. Berto doesn't adjust in the ring and his corner was horrible. Don't remember which fight, either the Ortiz or Guerrero fight, he had multiple people telling him what to do. Think it was his brother, the trainer and someone else yelling at him. He didn't respond well and got beat.

I can see that, but I also think Shane was shot as a fighter in 2010, even after beating Margarito. (this is with hindsight of course, in 2010 Shane was the #3 p4p fighter in the world until Floyd exposed him)

I think Berto could have beaten him, but its very possible Shane KOs him. He is a technically flawed fighter too. 

And those people were his pops and brother and others. Its a mad house.

dude you watched the Donaire, Rigondeaux fight right?  Where Rigondeaux only threw one light pitty pat punch at a time and ran away as the crowd booed him out of the building?  Love boxing but his style is beyond boring.

Rigondeaux took Donaire to school that night. That was nothing short of a boxing lesson. Just because he doesn't put on a Figueroa-Awarkawa every time out and takes endless punishment, def shouldn't put him in the "boring" category. But I guess if you're looking for action-packed brawls with little to no defense than Rigo is not your guy. 

So do you think Ward, Marquez and Mayweather too are like watching paint dry?

a lot of boxing fans think fights should be like Rocky.

Exactly. and while Rocky undoubtedly goes in the Instant Classic category for movies, it really didn't capture the art of the "sweet science" so to speak. He would always take a beating and come back to deliver one in return. That's not always what boxing is gonna be about. Not all boxers choose to take punishment just to make fights exciting. Boxing clinics like the one Rigo put on Donaire is excitement enough for me and a lot of other boxing fans. 

Don't get me wrong, I love watching all-out Brawls like im sure all other fans do as well. But just as much as I love and appreciate an offensive fighter or brawler, I also have great love and appreciation for a defensive minded/technical fighter.

Marquez-Bradley may not happen:

http://hustleboss.com/jessie-vargas-gives-his-thoughts-on-the-tim-bradley-juan-manuel-marquez-drug-testing-drama-says-hed-love-to-fill-in-and-face-juan/

Timothy Bradley may suspect Marquez of juicing. The BobFather probably does also and is trying to avoid the stringent drug testing he aready promised Bradley. Bradley says without random blood testing, there is no fight!!

dude you watched the Donaire, Rigondeaux fight right?  Where Rigondeaux only threw one light pitty pat punch at a time and ran away as the crowd booed him out of the building?  Love boxing but his style is beyond boring.

Rigondeaux took Donaire to school that night. That was nothing short of a boxing lesson. Just because he doesn't put on a Figueroa-Awarkawa every time out and doesn't take endless punishment, def shouldn't put him in the "boring" category. But I guess if you're looking for action-packed brawls with little to no defense than Rigo is not your guy. 

So do you think Ward, Marquez and Mayweather too are like watching paint dry?

Rigondeaux took zero risk against Donaire and Im sorry but fighting a one tap and go style looking for a decision victory at the start of the fight is not going to win you any fans

Watching Rigondeaux fight isn't the same as the other fighters you mentioned,  I remember immediately thinking after watching Rigo fight Doniare that I would never watch another one of his fights, I guess HBO thought the same.

Showtime is also out there maybe they will pick him up (doubt it)

Can't blame Bradley for that, I'd be shocked if Marquez was clean.

The last two fights against Pac, he looked to have more muscle mass than usual and a lot more power on his shots. (Hence the reason Pac is just now waking up). Also very suspect that Marquez been working with Angel Heredia the last few fights. I just don't know. Its tough to call w/o some kind of insider knowledge.

But what I will say is Bradley hasn't really shown me anything to suggest he can beat JuanMa in 12. The Pac fight was an utter disappointment and shameful to the entire sport. Then, in his next fight he faced Provodnikov and earned back a little of the respect I had lost for him. But with or without PEDs, taking into consideration their styles, I think JuanMa beats Bradley by decision with or without PEDs.

vegeta613:

Rigondeaux took zero risk against Donaire and Im sorry but fighting a one tap and go style looking for a decision victory at the start of the fight is not going to win you any fans

Sorry bro but I'm sure Floyd Mayweather, as the highest grossing fighter ever in the history of the sport, would adamantly disagree with that statement.

All these people want to.grandstand about steroids in sports, I wonder where's all the outrage over Marquez's late career transformation? Anybody who don't think he wasn't juicing for the Pacquiao fight needs their head examined.

Edited by DM72

All these people want to.grandstand about steroids in sports, I wonder where's all the outrage over Marquez's late career transformation? Anybody who don't think he was juicing for the Pacquiao fight needs their head examined.

http://www.boxingscene.com/juan-manuel-marquez-timothy-bradley-showing-his-fear--68286

Marquez says he's down with OSDT and Bradley is scared. Could be anothr one of Bob Arum's crooked schemes or just trying to draw extra pub to the fight that everybody seems to have forgotten about since "The One" actually stole their date.

I don't blame Bradley. If what he says is true, they agreed to have VADA and the USADA handle the testing, not the Nevada Athletic Commission who can't be trusted.

Bradley says it has to be VADA or USADA. Marquez says let's role with USADA. I think problem solved...

I don't blame Bradley. If what he says is true, they agreed to have VADA and the USADA handle the testing, not the Nevada Athletic Commission who can't be trusted.

Bradley says it has to be VADA or USADA. Marquez says let's role with USADA. I think problem solved...

But did they agree to both? If so, Bradley is right. According to the article, Arum.just wants the Nevada State Athletic Commission to handle it.

But did they agree to both? If so, Bradley is right. According to the article, Arum.just wants the Nevada State Athletic Commission to handle it.

The contract vaguely states "and/or" which means one or both. But what I think everybody agrees on is that trying to get the NSAC to handle testing procedures of any sort is a damn joke. Like i said, I don't know what Arum is up to but I'm sure he has a motive here.

Curtis+Stevens+vs+Saul+Roman.gif

Curtis Stevens throwing his name in the running for KO of the Year.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stevens fight Golovkin next. It would be a fun that probably wouldn't last 3 rounds. Golovkin is a better fighter, but Stevens at least presents the threat of a killshot of his own.

Edited by StillUnknown

• 3 weeks later...

Gonzalez just derailed some major plans. I'm sure GBP is still in shock. But I think Abner Mares has been kind of getting a few gifts from the judges these past couple years. Golden Boy did a nice job building him up and unless he immediately avenges that brutal L he just took, this is a huge setback for Mares.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/09/04/floyd-mayweather-to-get-record-41-5-million-guarantee-for-canelo-alvarez-fight/?partner=yahootix

Mayweather will receive a record $41.5 million guarantee for the Alvarez fight, according to Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather’s longtime confident and head of his promotion company. It shatters the previous $32 million high set by Mayweather. He receives the guarantee right after the fight and then will sit back and collect his share of PPV receipts as they trickle in from carriers like DirecTV and Dish Network. It will be the biggest payday of Mayweather’s career when all the PPV numbers are tallied.

Thats an insane amount of money for one fight. I read somewhere else Canelo is guaranteed 15mil before ppv splits.

10 days away

You have to figure that this will be the biggest grossing PPV of all time so it's reasonable to think Mayweather would get around $40M. With that said, Ellerbe has been known to inflate Mayweather's numbers before.

He usually inflates the final numbers with ppv cut added in, but he's usually straight about the guaranteed portion which is verifiable.

Just about everybody is eating nice from this card though. Canelo is getting 15mil, I think Garcia & Matthysse are getting around 4mil each.