Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

That's perfectly fine but my original quote had to due with him being as great as he thinks he is. On the Mayweather/Mosley 24/7 he said he is *THE* greatest of all time. Better than Ali. Better than Sugar Ray Robinson.

I'm perfectly fine being in the top 25 of all time, just saying he isn't close to someone like Sugar Ray Robinson.

nobody will ever think as highly of him as he thinks of himself, that much is true :ols:

Edited by StillUnknown

SkySports commentators are saying Mosley's corner should throw in the towel.

Yah, his trainer just said "Don't make me do something I don't want to do.." in reference to throwing in the towel.

I guess it's time to start the Manny/Mayweather talk again.

Well if you're talking in his weight class sure, I was talking pound-for-pound all time greats. :)

Pound for pound is a completely different debate. Robinson IS still the best. IMO.

I am saying that simply Mayweather is one of the best we have ever seen at his weight.

And I don't know if it was you that made the comment about his competition...ehh..he has ducked it seems, IMO. I am not a Mayweather hugger. I think it is about the money and promotion. I can not knock him for that. De La Hoya used marketing better than anyone.

Couldn't see past the fifth round but I feel bad for Mosley. Mayweather is just too quick and aware. After the 2nd he protected his head and Shane went into one-shot mode, and inexplicably stand-off boxing mode. Should've mixed the distance more. Though, he was leading with his head setting up for a left uppercut. Anyway too bad Shane couldn't keep up his fire throughout the fight.

That Irish Mexican in the prelim confirmed the flaws in my racial profiling arguments that ASF had exposed, so at least I got something out of the fights. Cotto has to be kicking himself for not finishing him in the first, guy was staggered but Cotto wasn't connecting good follow-ups.

Fight over....Mayweather obviously won. Round 2 is the worst I've seen him get rocked in a long long long time though. However it was all down hill for Mosley after that.

So does Manny have the speed to take him out?

i've seen all his fights, and round 2 was easily the most danger i've ever seen mayweather in.

its amazing that floyd could adjust that quickly and not get hit with anything dangerous for the rest of the fight

The thing with Manny and the drug test is. He doesn't need Mayweather to make tens of millions on his next ppv. When you have two guys that both feel they're the draw they don't want the other dictating terms like that to them.

Manny is fine following the rules that the athletic commission of the state where the fight takes place. I think in Manny's mind the accusation that Floyd put out is so ridiculous that it's below him to have to defend it (Mayweather has no proof), therefor he isn't going to take the extra drug test (he is tested before and after the fight already, just doesn't want the extra stipulations).

i've seen all his fights, and round 2 was easily the most danger i've ever seen mayweather in.

its amazing that floyd could adjust that quickly and not get hit with anything dangerous for the rest of the fight

Yah, he's one of the best defensive fighters I've ever seen.

That fight went exactly as we all knew it would. To a tee.

Pretty much.

I don't dislike Mayweather but I want to see him lose just to see how he responds to it. If he's a man and congratulates the other fighter or if he makes excuses and complains. That's what interest me the most.

I respect Floyd's skills but I was really hoping Mosley had enough left in the tank to knock him out. I know Pacquiao can do it he can't duck him anymore who is there left for him to fight?

edit: Floyd isn't backing down on following the standard drug testing :(

Edited by Patrick86L

The thing with Manny and the drug test is. He doesn't need Mayweather to make tens of millions on his next ppv. When you have two guys that both feel they're the draw they don't want the other dictating terms like that to them.

Manny is fine following the rules that the athletic commission of the state where the fight takes place. I think in Manny's mind the accusation that Floyd put out is so ridiculous that it's below him to have to defend it (Mayweather has no proof), therefor he isn't going to take the extra drug test (he is tested before and after the fight already, just doesn't want the extra stipulations).

Mayweather is smart for demanding it, heavy (and arguably HEAVIER) hands as you move up in weight classes is a red flag. Fair or not the world after McGuire and Bonds is different. Boxing is no exception to the rule (and indeed is far more corrupt). Manny needs to take the test or the calls for an asterisk next to his name will start to be heard.

After all no one is asking him to change his training or learn to defend leg kicks. It's a blood test that screens much more accurately and closer to the fight. No big deal to most anyone on the planet.

I respect Floyd's skills but I was really hoping Mosley had enough left in the tank to knock him out. I know Pacquiao can do it he can't duck him anymore who is there left for him to fight?

Manny won't beat him his style plays right into Floyds game...

I hate Floyd but he is great at what he does and has to be regarded as one of the very best ever especially if he embarrases Manny..

I believe you could put Floyd in any era and he would dominate the same way he does now..

Mayweather is smart for demanding it, heavy (and arguably HEAVIER) hands as you move up in weight classes is a red flag. Fair or not the world after McGuire and Bonds is different. Boxing is no exception to the rule (and indeed is far more corrupt). Manny needs to take the test or the calls for an asterisk next to his name will start to be heard.

After all no one is asking him to change his training or learn to defend leg kicks. It's a blood test that screens much more accurately and closer to the fight. No big deal to most anyone on the planet.

He is already tested before and after the fight.

This whole thing was a non-issue until six months ago when Mayweather Sr. who has no proof started this.

Again back the original point of that why should Mayweather get to dictate terms that go outside the testing of the athletic commission with no proof? Mosley agreed to it of course because it's a big payday for him and he would have jumped through whatever hoops he had to. Manny doesn't need Mayweather to make big $$$.

I want to see the fight as much as anyone, and I would be fine if Manny just said "ok sure, I'll do this" but I can also see his point and why he already threatened to sue Mayweather for defamation because the guy calling him a cheater without any proof other than he's a really powerful puncher for his weight.

I don't think it makes sense for Manny to cave now that both sides have already made a big deal out of it.

If Manny agrees to the testing, then it's half-admitting that he wasn't clean before, and then he ends up looking bad against Mayweather (which could easily happen, as happened to Shane tonight), then people will think that his previous victories were due to drugs, whether that's true or not. There is no benefit for Manny to cave.

...the only way this gets resolved is if the Nevada Boxing Commission raises its standards to something that is between Pacquiao and Mayweather's standards. Then Pacquiao wouldn't look like he's caving to Mayweather's demands, and Mayweather could still get a little bit more stringent testing.

Neither of these guys really need this fight. There is a lot of ego at play, and it's not going to be resolved without a third party getting involved.

Also, Manny doesn't react well to blood being taken. Some people have real issues with having blood drawn, not having to do with the sight of blood but some biological thing. My father for example served in combat in Vietnam, has no problem with the sight of blood, he's what I'd describe as a pretty tough guy, but when he goes to the doctor for a blood test, he nearly passes out every time.

Manny said he's fine with blood being taken at the press conference and right after the fight, and also giving urine samples directly before and after the fight. The only stipulation he won't agree to is having his blood drawn the day of the fight itself (remember, he's giving a urine sample that day). If you listen to Mayweather and people in his camp they'll have you thinking it a big cover-up and it's simply not.

If you put an asterisk next to Manny's name, then you have to do it to every fighter that has came before him, because they took the same (or lesser) tests before fights.

He is already tested before and after the fight.

Really? Read these QandA's with United States Anti-Doping Association, Travis Tygart:
Q: Shane Mosley obviously slipped through some cracks on urine testing alone in Nevada.

A: "Let me correct that premise for you. The current state of drug testing done by these state commissions is a joke. They don't test for EPO. They don't test for designer steroids. They test for a basic, simple menu that anybody with a heartbeat will escape. I just hate to hear that Shane Mosley did something really sophisticated to get around their testing. No, he didn't. He would've been caught dead to rights in our program. But it doesn't take a whole lot to sidestep the simple kind of drug testing that these state commissions are doing.

"Again, I hope it's familiarity, I hope it's knowledge, because part of the growth is for entities, but also athletes, to become knowledgable about these issues. If you're a clean athlete, or you're a sport organizer, promoter, state commission, whatever, if you want to protect clean athletes' rights, you're going to put in a clean program.

and this:

Q: One other thing I wanted to touch base with you on -- when the Mayweather-Pacquiao discussions finally fell apart at the beginning of the month, it came down to a 10-day differential; Mayweather bent to 'I'll agree to 14 days prior to the event when there will be no blood testing,' and Pacquiao wouldn't go later than 24 days. Even if Mayweather had yielded to 24 days, what can an athlete do in 24 days? I mean, if you're clean 24 days before the fight, what can you do in the next 24 days that would have any impact on the fight whatsoever?

A: "The human growth hormone for sure, levels of testosterone, and other designer steroids. Sounds like you've got some information -- I'm not agreeing factually that was the difference, and I'm not disagreeing. But if that's the case, the other piece is that, prior to that 14-day or 24-day blackout period, what system was in place? Were you just using the Nevada, or the state of California, system? If that's the case, I'm not worried about the 14-day or the 24-day blackout period, I'm worried about the rest of it. If someone's telling you that's where it fell apart, I think you've got to add the follow-up, 'Well, what kind of testing was going to happen before the 14-day or the 24-day blackout period?' The 14-day period, I'm a lot less concerned about that than what you're doing in the two months before that 14-day period.

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2010/01/usadas_travis_tygart_current_d.html

Sorry but the current testing might as well be a asking the fighters to pinkie swear that they didn't cheat. Haven't we gone through this with baseball?

Edited by Destino