Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Was tough to see the punch at first, but those side angle replays....wow. Perfect shot to the jaw.

Edit* I love hearing that he studies Thomas Hearns. That's pretty cool.

Edited by Hersh

Lucien Bute is the hottest fighter in the sport right now. Dude is taking on very tough guys, making them hurt, and then making them fall. Miranda was posing like those body shots didn't hurt but as they landed I could see the flinch, the gasp, and the widen eyes right before he was able to strike his defiant poses while catching his breath. That uppercut was sah-weet. G'night.

Pavlik is just too slow. Great chin, hard punch, ring savvy- but sloooow. I was hoping he'd pour it on late as is usually his style but the cut took him out of the game.

Edited by Chachie

The last fight was incredibly boring. Fighters like Martinez make boxing boring.

That is a load, the fight was anything but boring, it was frustrating as a Pavlik fan for much of the beginning until Kelly started to get his timing right. Once the second cut happened it took his vision but more importantly it took his heart. Gatti as they referenced would of put everything into his punches when he through and wouldn't of just sat there trying to jab. Albeit I don't believe Gatti ever favored a jab anyhow the point was he had a new problem that was never dealt with in the past and he was clearly lost personally. The trainer Lowe told him to let his hands go but Kelly was shot at that point, more of a lets protect myself from this point forward rather than lets try and get the win.

Also, Kelly needs to fire his cut-man, what a lousy job in the corner for so many rounds. You get what you pay for.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=As9ROgV1VyMx4wuz1aA4V0eUxLYF?slug=ap-valero-slaying

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP)—Suspended WBC lightweight champion Edwin Valero was detained on suspicion of killing his wife on Sunday, police said.

Venezuelan Federal Police Chief Wilmer Flores said Valero was arrested after police found the body of his wife in a hotel in the city of Valencia.

Flores said Valero left the hotel room around dawn on Sunday and allegedly told the hotel’s security personnel that he had killed Viera.

Valero’s lawyer, Milda Mora, did not immediately answer telephone calls seeking comment.

The 28-year-old boxer has been in trouble with the law before.

Last month, Valero was brought up on charges of harassing his wife and threatening medical personnel who treated her at a hospital in the western city of Merida.

Police arrested the Valero following an argument with a doctor and nurse at the hospital, where his wife was being treated for a series of injuries, including a punctured lung and broken ribs.

Valero entered a Venezuelan rehabilitation center under on March 28 for treatment of drug and alcohol addiction, Mora said at the time. The boxer’s attorney said Viera was injured when she fell down a flight of stairs at the couple’s home while checking a water tank located on the roof.

Valero, with a record of 27-0 as a boxer, was suspended as WBC lightweight champion in February.

tragic on so many levels :(

Edited by StillUnknown

That is a load, the fight was anything but boring, it was frustrating as a Pavlik fan for much of the beginning until Kelly started to get his timing right. Once the second cut happened it took his vision but more importantly it took his heart. Gatti as they referenced would of put everything into his punches when he through and wouldn't of just sat there trying to jab. Albeit I don't believe Gatti ever favored a jab anyhow the point was he had a new problem that was never dealt with in the past and he was clearly lost personally. The trainer Lowe told him to let his hands go but Kelly was shot at that point, more of a lets protect myself from this point forward rather than lets try and get the win.

Also, Kelly needs to fire his cut-man, what a lousy job in the corner for so many rounds. You get what you pay for.

I'm not a Pavlik fan so there was no frustration other than I prefer fights in which the fighters go toe to toe a little bit. It's one reason I don't waste time watching any Mayweather fights.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AoSDhlxmTRP7q3dwIUpLTDmUxLYF?slug=txvaleroslaying

CARACAS, Venezuela(AP)—Former boxing champ Edwin Valero committed suicide in his jail cell on Monday just hours after he was arrested in his wife’s killing, police said.

The former lightweight champion used his own clothes to hang himself in his cell early Monday, Venezuelan Federal Police Chief Wilmer Flores told reporters. He said Valero tied his clothes to a cell bar to hang himself.

He said Valero was found by another inmate, who alerted authorities in the police lockup in north-central Carabobo state. Valero still showed signs of life, but they were unable to save him, Flores said.

The 28-year-old was detained Sunday on suspicion of killing his wife, the gravest in a string of problems that had threatened to derail his career. Prosecutors said Sunday night that they had planned to charge Valero after they found the body of his 24-year-old wife in a hotel in Valencia.

The boxer left the hotel room around dawn Sunday and allegedly told security he had killed Jennifer Viera, Flores said.

The fighter was a household name in Venezuela and had a huge image of President Hugo Chavez tattooed on his chest, along with the country’s yellow, blue and red flag. His all-action style and 27-0 record - all by knockouts - earned him a reputation as a tough, explosive crowd-pleaser. Venezuelans called him “Inca,” alluding to an Indian warrior, while elsewhere he was called “Dinamita,” or dynamite.

The former WBA super featherweight and WBC lightweight champion had been in trouble with the law before. Last month, Valero was charged with harassing his wife and threatening medical personnel who treated her at a hospital in the western city of Merida. Police arrested Valero following an argument with a doctor and nurse at the hospital, where his wife was being treated for a series of injuries, including a punctured lung and broken ribs.

The Attorney General’s Office said in a statement that Valero was detained March 25 on suspicion of assaulting his wife, but his wife told a police officer her injuries were due to a fall. When the boxer arrived moments later, he forbade Viera from speaking to the police officer, and spoke threateningly to the officer, prosecutors said in a statement. The Attorney General’s Office said a prosecutor had asked a court to order Valero jailed but that the judge instead placed him under a restraining order that barred him from going near his wife, a condition he repeatedly violated.

Edited by StillUnknown

OhJMqqgBVyg

From the associated press.

onvcQS63KWY

Sportscenter report.

http://www.liderendeportes.com/Noticias/?id=100989&sid=79

Here is the full translation of the article:

Author: REYNALDO SANCHEZ / BOXEOEDITORES.COM
Photo-File
Date: 4/19/2010
Monday April 19, 2010 | 6:00 a.m.

Jhonny Gonzalez / Willmar Tarazona Faneyth
The world lightweight champion, who murdered his wife yesterday, was hanged at dawn inside the police headquarters of Carabobo, as confirmed by his mother Eloisa Vivas

CARACAS .- At 2:00 am this morning of April 19, 2010, Edwin "El Inca" Valero ended her life by hanging himself in the cell that was being held for the murder of his wife Yennifer Carolina Viera committed early yesterday morning at the Hotel Intercontinental Valencia.

This was confirmed by Eloisa Vivas, mother of the world lightweight champion of the CMB by telephone at our office and then the police.

Valero, who at 6:00 am Sunday was arrested after confessing to killing his wife of 24 years, waiting for the Public Prosecutor's indictment for the murder and deprivation of liberty.

The Merida and ended several months of controversy over his family circle after accusations of physical abuse against his wife, mother and sister.

So it is THE FACTS
12:00 m (April 17): Valero and his wife embarked on a trip from Mérida Valencia in a van "Machito" rented, introducing the fighter was under the influence of alcohol, unofficially known as sources close to family.

11:30 pm: Valero and his wife Jennifer arrived at the Hotel Intercontinental Valencia, requesting a room for overnight.

4:00 a.m.: According to police sources and the initial investigations, the crime was committed at this time of the morning.

5:30 a.m.: Valero down to the hotel lobby to announce at the reception that his wife is dead, taking the blame.

6:00 a.m.: Troops of the Carabobo Police arrived at the hotel and arrested the fighter, with little resistance.

6:30 a.m.: Valero is transferred to the General Command of Police of Carabobo.

2:00 pm: The Public Ministry appoints the prosecutors of the case.

2:00 am (April 19): Valero is found dead in his cell after hanging himself.

LOG
April 12, 2010: The circle near the Valero family, it said the boxer had beaten his wife.

April 9, 2010: The "Inca" crashed his car and tried to escape under the influence of alcohol. I had missed the flight in the morning to Cuba, where he would begin rehabilitation.

March 25, 2010: He was arrested by a commission and prosecutors CICPC Merida state in the Hospital Universitario de Los Andes at 11:00 am, after assaulting his wife.

February 7, 2010: He made his last fight against Antonio DeMarco, maintaining their unbeaten record in the CMB in Monterrey, Mexico. Reached 27 KO

December 19, 2009: He fought for the first time in Venezuela, in the sports José María Vargas La Guaira against Mexican Hector Velazquez.

September 28, 2009: "I've never hit my sister, let alone my mother. This is not just a new challenge, and again the desire to harm. I accept my mistakes but I have not committed any fault, they never stick, "said Valero, when he was charged in Merida of beating his family, including his mother.

More boxing tonight on both HBO and Showtime. A good night of boxing is in store for us fans.

Showtime Super Six Tournament:

Mikkel "the Viking Warrior" Kessler vs Carl "The Cobra" Froch

168 lbs for WBC Super Middleweight title

Froch is an undefeated fighter with decent skills. His defense is suspect but he's a gamer and will give Kessler all he can handle. Kessler is a talented boxer with arguably better skills than Froch. But Kessler doesn't adapt well as noted in his 2 losses to Calzaghe and Ward. He stayed with the same game plan and didn't adjust to his opponent. I want Froch to win, but I have a hard time seeing Kessler losing a 2nd consecutive fight. Think it will be a split decision with Kessler earning the split decision in his backyard.

HBO Boxing After Dark:

Tomas Adamek vs Chris Arreola (Heavyweights)

Adamek should be able to outbox Arreola, as again Arreola comes into this fight overweight (250.5 lbs). Adamek weighed in at 217 lbs. Arreola has the skills to box, but will make this a war and Adamek will oblige. Don't think Adamek can survive a war with Arreola. His best bet is to box and wear down Arreola with his lack of conditioning. This is a big stage for both fighters and I think Arreola KO's Adamek by round 10. Since most Heavyweight fights are boring, this one should bring some excitement to the division for at least a night.

Joel Julio vs Alfredo Angulo (Junior Middleweights - 154 lbs)

We can expect a fight to break out in this match. Angulo will press the issue and make Julio fight. Angulo was clearly outboxed in his loss to Kermit Cintron. Think he'll be looking to make a better showing tonight, but don't think he'll change his style of fighting and it will cost him. Julio is dangerous puncher, but can be outboxed, but not by Angulo. Think Julio gets a TKO over Angulo in either the 11th or 12th round.

i'll take:

Kessler over Froch by late round (T)KO. Kessler has to realize this is a make or break fight for him. if he loses, he's goes from being undisputed top dog at 168 to being a potentially forgotten about fighter in just 2 fights. Kessler has good power, and Froch doesn't present nearly the level of movement and skill Ward did.

Adamek over Arreola by Unanimous Decision. Adamek has done nothing but improve since losing to Chad Dawson. Arreola has some skill with power but his lack of dedication is alarming. a few weeks ago he said he would be around 230lbs for this fight, dude is eating himself out of contention. Arreola can hurt Adamek if he can catch him though.

Angulo over Julio by late round (T)KO. Julio had problems dealing with pressure when he fought James Kirkland. Kirkland walked him down and nailed him with hard shot after hard shot. Julio is a much better boxer than Angulo but he doesnt react well when forced to move backwards. Angulo will apply pressure and take Julio out of his zone and end it late

great night of fights

Edited by StillUnknown

i'll take:

Kessler over Froch by late round (T)KO. Kessler has to realize this is a make or break fight for him. if he loses, he's goes from being undisputed top dog at 168 to being a potentially forgotten about fighter in just 2 fights. Kessler has good power, and Froch doesn't present nearly the level of movement and skill Ward did.

Adamek over Arreola by Unanimous Decision. Adamek has done nothing but improve since losing to Chad Dawson. Arreola has some skill with power but his lack of dedication is alarming. a few weeks ago he said he would be around 230lbs for this fight, dude is eating himself out of contention. Arreola can hurt Adamek if he can catch him though.

Angulo over Julio by late round (T)KO. Julio had problems dealing with pressure when he fought James Kirkland. Kirkland walked him down and nailed him with hard shot after hard shot. Julio is a much better boxer than Angulo but he doesnt react well when forced to move backwards. Angulo will apply pressure and take Julio out of his zone and end it late

great night of fights

I'll take Froch over Kessler in a unanimous decision

Arreola over Adamek mid round TKO

Julio over Angulo unanimous decision

....probably wont fair well with these picks...never good when you pick against stillunkown in boxing (he knows his ****)

I took Froch because I'm impressed with his last few fights (especially the come from behind Jermain Taylor fight. I think Kessler was exposed in his last fight....he has a padded record boxing overseas.

I picked Arreola (even though he always disappoints and comes in over weight) because I don't know much about Adamek

I'm taking Julio over Angulo because Angulo proved to be a one trick dog against Cintron....Cintron out classed him with superior boxing skills...I think a thrifty vet. Julio will do the same.

I had Froch winning that fight tonight; I think he fell victim to the hometown decision. The fight was close, but I think Froch (especially being the defending champ) did enough to win that fight.

Julio-Angulo fight reminded me of Cotto-Margarito. Julio would have won the fight if he fought every round like he fought the 2-4, but Angulo wore him down and knocked him out.

I like watchin Angulo, but I don't think he is a top notch fighter. he will not fair well against well conditioned veteran boxers with decent defense.

I had Froch winning that fight tonight; I think he fell victim to the hometown decision. The fight was close, but I think Froch (especially being the defending champ) did enough to win that fight.

Julio-Angulo fight reminded me of Cotto-Margarito. Julio would have won the fight if he fought every round like he fought the 2-4, but Angulo wore him down and knocked him out.

I like watchin Angulo, but I don't think he is a top notch fighter. he will not fair well against well conditioned veteran boxers with decent defense.

i scored it for Froch as well, although i can understand a close decision win for Kessler. Froch, even though i'm not really a fan, i respect the hell out of him because he is perfect example of how far heart can take you. He clearly has more heart & will than overall skill, yet he that alone allows him to compete with the best in the world in his division.

the other fights pretty much went as i expected (and predicted :D, if only i had bet money :()

David Haye vs. Adamek might be the most competitive match that can be made in the HW division

Edited by StillUnknown

i'll take:

great night of fights

Nicely done and, yes, that was a superb night of boxing.

Good night of boxing. I also thought Froch won the fight. It was very close, but will give Kessler the hometown decision. So far, all the super 6 fights have been won by the hometown guy.

Julio did a good job early on and forgot what got him there. He ran too much and got walked down. Hard to land your hardest punches when you are on the run. Good TKO by Angulo.

Arreola is such a disappointment. At least he kept it real in his post fight interview saying he got beat. Funny, how he drops a lot of "F" bombs and gives props after the fight. Wish he would put in the time to come in the ring in better shape. He hurt Adamek on a few occasions, but Arreola's lack of conditioning is his downfall.

Great fight by Adameck. Not sure if he can handle either Klitschko's right now, but he'll make the fight interesting. A lot better than the last bums who they've fought. Adamek versus Haye would be great.

Can't wait for this weekend. Floyd "MONEY" Mayweather vs "Sugar" Shane Mosley. That will be a good fight. Shane has all the tools to beat Floyd, but I don't see it happening. I got Floyd winning an unanimous decision (7-5 rounds). Floyd better win because he is talking so much trash. He better back it up in the ring.

i scored it for Froch as well, although i can understand a close decision win for Kessler. Froch, even though i'm not really a fan, i respect the hell out of him because he is perfect example of how far heart can take you. He clearly has more heart & will than overall skill, yet he that alone allows him to compete with the best in the world in his division.

the other fights pretty much went as i expected (and predicted :D, if only i had bet money :()

David Haye vs. Adamek might be the most competitive match that can be made in the HW division

I knew from the beginning that I wasn't going to fair well in my predictions when I picked against you...haha

I think you are dead on about Froch....the man has no defense, keep his hands at his side, is slow as ****, but still somehow stays competitive in fights. Very entertaining fight with Froch and Kessler.

Can't wait for this weekend. Floyd "MONEY" Mayweather vs "Sugar" Shane Mosley. That will be a good fight. Shane has all the tools to beat Floyd, but I don't see it happening. I got Floyd winning an unanimous decision (7-5 rounds). Floyd better win because he is talking so much trash. He better back it up in the ring.

It depends on which Floyd and which shane shows up.

Shane at his best beats Floyd at his best all day. If Shane isn't at his best, Floyd will beat him.

I've got Shane winning in a split decision