Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I think Mayweather is simply too hard to hit for Marquez to be effective tomorrow night. There's little doubt in my mind that Juan would wear him down and maybe even knock him out if I thought Floyd would stand in there and bang with him but he won't.

I think it will be a tougher fight than people think. Mayweather being out for 2 years is gonna show. I would not even be suprised if Marquez won.

2 time Olympic Gold Medalist Guillermo Rigondeaux is fighting on a special edition of Friday Night Fights tonight.

Rigondeaux is being fast tracked since he's older than most prospects. his people want him fighting for a real title by his 10th fight. tonight is his 3rd.

dude is a special talent. watch if you can

Mayweather-Marquez switched from 144 to 147. Marquez weighs in at 142, Mayweather 146.

Mayweather should stop him

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=23615

Floyd Mayweather 146 vs. Juan Manuel Marquez 142*

* Contractual weight was the 147 pound welter limit, but penalties were written into the contract for excess poundage over 144. ”The penalty [for Mayweather] was a significant amount of money,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer.

As long as Floyd has Mr. Nospeakenglish in his corner, everything's okay.

"Floyd Patreson, okay, he was bestufolatime. See, somefolks, they not know alot bout boxing. I'm stundet of histry of boxing."

The best name I've seen him pronounce is Leon Spinks. Two words, two syllables. Atta boy!!!

Please, Floyd. After this fight, bring your father in as a trainer and lose your uncle. I know he has led you to this point undefeated, but if you choose to have the balls to face Manny...your father(IMO, a better student of the sport) will help you more.

As long as Floyd has Mr. Nospeakenglish in his corner, everything's okay.

"Floyd Patreson, okay, he was bestufolatime. See, somefolks, they not know alot bout boxing. I'm stundet of histry of boxing."

The best name I've seen him pronounce is Leon Spinks. Two words, two syllables. Atta boy!!!

Please, Floyd. After this fight, bring your father in as a trainer and lose your uncle. I know he has led you to this point undefeated, but if you choose to have the balls to face Manny...your father(IMO, a better student of the sport) will help you more.

the relationship between trainer & fighter is deeper than just strategy and knowledge of the game. Roger & floyd both probably have an equal amount of fight knowledge, Roger was more successful as a fighter himself than Floyd Sr. most important, Roger & Floyd Jr. have a much better relationship than Floyd jr. & Floyd Sr.

that comfort level can be more important than strategy, especially when the trainers are both high level.

the relationship between trainer & fighter is deeper than just strategy and knowledge of the game. Roger & floyd both probably have an equal amount of fight knowledge, Roger was more successful as a fighter himself than Floyd Sr. most important, Roger & Floyd Jr. have a much better relationship than Floyd jr. & Floyd Sr.

that comfort level can be more important than strategy, especially when the trainers are both high level.

Totally agree. Simple fact is I hate Roger.

My hope is that Floyd gets KTFO by Marquez and Floyd reconsiders. But, in reality, I hope he wins and sets up a Manny-Floyd showdown.

For this fight, I have to root for Marquez. His trainers speak better English than Roger.

Totally agree. Simple fact is I hate Roger.

My hope is that Floyd gets KTFO by Marquez and Floyd reconsiders. But, in reality, I hope he wins and sets up a Manny-Floyd showdown.

For this fight, I have to root for Marquez. His trainers speak better English than Roger.

i like both fighters, so i dont really have a horse in this one. my feelings on the fight is that floyd may look rusty the first 3 rounds, then start to find his range against his smaller & slower foe. against Judah, Mayweather lost the first 3 or 4 rounds while trying to get Judah's timing. once he did, judah never came close to winning another round. now Marquez is infinitely a smarter fighter than Judah with much more heart, so he wont fade as fast as Judah did either.

it'll be interesting to see who becomes the aggressor in this fight. both are much more comfortable counterpunching against fighters who come to them (which is why Marquez has done so well against Pacquiao).

in his early days at 130, 135, and even some at 140, Floyd would come forward if he saw he had a passive counterpuncher in front of him. thats when he was much more offensive (and as a result exciting) in his fighting.

marquez would be wise to try to attack the body early and often, trying to hit floyd in the face is something many have tried and very few have succeeded.

at the end of the day, i think marquez will be too much of a warrior for his own good. he will be a tad more aggressive than he usually is in his fights, which will lead to Mayweather catching him with counters once he gets his timing. remember against Juan Diaz, Marquez got hit alot. diaz doesnt hit as hard or as fast as mayweather. combine those factors with mayweathers legendary defense, and it will be a tough fight for marquez.

marquez will be a tough opponent,and will probably gain respect in defeat for his effort, but i think the ref steps in to call it off between rounds 8-10

:2cents:

Edited by StillUnknown

i like both fighters, so i dont really have a horse in this one.

Didn't want to quote a huge block of text. Look, this is another Hatton-Mayweather. Simply put, Mayweather will KO Marquez by ref stoppage. My only beef is him stepping up to the plate and facing Manny. Maybe he will. Maybe he will value that undefeated record. But ducking fighters will catch up to you at some point.

Didn't want to quote a huge block of text. Look, this is another Hatton-Mayweather. Simply put, Mayweather will KO Marquez by ref stoppage. My only beef is him stepping up to the plate and facing Manny. Maybe he will. Maybe he will value that undefeated record. But ducking fighters will catch up to you at some point.

mayweather will fight whoever wins Cotto/Pacman. the money will be too much to pass up

I've got marquez in a split decision, although I think Stillunkowns has a very realistic scenario.

One of two things will happen in this fight....what Stillunkown said about the ring rust early and then getting the timing down. In that case I think Floyd knocks him out in the 8th.

I'm going with the other scenario though....Marquez cuts off the ring early like Oscar did, keeps the pressure on, and stuns Floyd early. Floyd never fully recovers and it is a Split decision that should have been a unanimous (always a biased judge in there)

Remember....the most successful fighter against Floyd in years was Oscar De La Hoya, who is also marquez's promoter. So if you don't think Oscar was involved in the training camp....you got another thing coming.

Apparently Rigondeaux by TKO in 3.

He defected from Cuba? :applause:

yep. one of the greatest amateurs in boxing's history. he's training with freddie roach now (who seems to be training everybody). so far in his 3 fights, he's shown that he can be a lethal counterpuncher. i haven't seen him initiate offense in the fight yet though. with his handspeed, and amateur pedigree, he should be able to bait his opponents into bad situations. i would like to see him more aggressive in his future fights. he's a special talent though.

I've got marquez in a split decision, although I think Stillunkowns has a very realistic scenario.

One of two things will happen in this fight....what Stillunkown said about the ring rust early and then getting the timing down. In that case I think Floyd knocks him out in the 8th.

I'm going with the other scenario though....Marquez cuts off the ring early like Oscar did, keeps the pressure on, and stuns Floyd early. Floyd never fully recovers and it is a Split decision that should have been a unanimous (always a biased judge in there)

Remember....the most successful fighter against Floyd in years was Oscar De La Hoya, who is also marquez's promoter. So if you don't think Oscar was involved in the training camp....you got another thing coming.

DLH won at most 4 rounds in that fight, but thats not the reason JMM shouldn't use that strategy. JMM doesn't fight like DLH, i'm not even sure his hands are fast enough to employ that kind of strategy.

pee drinker doesn't have a chance at this weight. 24/7 is working on some of you.

everybody said the same about Pacquaio when he fought DLH (although the styles matchup in this fight is not comparable)

JMM has a chance because his overall skill level, but truthfully, the only way Floyd loses this fight is if the rust factor lasts most of the fight

I think Marquez is a VERY GOOD boxer. But Floyd is a GREAT boxer. Marquez WILL NOT win this fight. Floyd is bigger, faster and more skilled. Floyd also has the reach advantage. Both are counter-punchers and that reach difference will make a difference. Don't think Floyd will be too rusty. He's a gym rat. Plus, he talks TOO MUCH $h!t to come in this fight unprepared. Maybe, one day he'll get his @$$ whupped, but not tonight. Floyd by late stoppage in round 10 or 11.

The UFC is on 24267 "MMA-TV". :cheers:

Go Marquez!

Thanks, man. I already have the MMA-TV as being the channel that comes up when I log onto Sopcast. Does Sopcast have a "Boxing-TV" channel? LOL

I'm going to watch the UFC until the Mayweather JMM fight and then I'm only going to watch the boxing.

I think Marquez is a VERY GOOD boxer. But Floyd is a GREAT boxer. Marquez WILL NOT win this fight. Floyd is bigger, faster and more skilled. Floyd also has the reach advantage. Both are counter-punchers and that reach difference will make a difference. Don't think Floyd will be too rusty. He's a gym rat. Plus, he talks TOO MUCH $h!t to come in this fight unprepared. Maybe, one day he'll get his @$$ whupped, but not tonight. Floyd by late stoppage in round 10 or 11.

thats one of floyd's best assets. he is an incredibly smart fighter when it comes to gameplanning for fights. he's a trash talker, but he never overlooks any opponent. he breaks down film and studies his opponent as well as any boxer of my generation.