Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Defense Dominates 2008 Free Agent Class

jimster

do we even know how much we would have to give up to move up to a top 3 pick? i think it would be far too much.

but good list of the solid FAs not mentioned in the article.

No, unfortunately we don't. But the thing is, if we use FA well, we can increase the effectiveness of the draft. One of the trades going through my mind (if we got Asomugha and Johnson) is to trade our 1st and 2nd round picks to Miami or New England (I hate the thought of New England getting richer, so I'd rather trade with Miami), for their 1st round pick.

I know a lot of people here wouldn't like that, but considering we would have fulfilled two of our huge need positions in FA, we would have the luxury of taking a stud at our biggest need position.

Trufant is another interesting player for us. What happens with Springs is likely going to dictate what we do in free agency. Personally, I have a feeling that Springs will be back. There's simply no way Snyder would release him and risk having him improve a division rival that has struggled at the cornerback position opposite of Newman.

After Rogers went down, I can't see us cutting Springs. I would hope that he'll restructure, but according to his comments it doesn't look like it. Unfortunately we absolutely need him, and we also need another strong CB, because who knows what Rogers will look like once he comes back. If Springs stays next season, then I guarantee he'll be gone after that, so we'll still need a top flight corner to take over for him (Rogers and Smoot are good, but they're not that good).

i say we sabotage Redskins One to make sure it doesn't get off the ground on March 1st, or whenever Free Agency begins this season.

None of those names mentioned I want. We need value players instead of big name players, and find the big name players in the draft.

Since we are 20 Million over the projected cap, which group of happy little elves is going to help with that problems so we can sign one of the above players.

Thing is that being 20 mill over with nearly 100% of the guys already signed is probably better than being 10 mill under when you've got most guys unsigned including several of your stars. We are likely in a better cap position this year than we were in last year.

Thing is that being 20 mill over with nearly 100% of the guys already signed is probably better than being 10 mill under when you've got most guys unsigned including several of your stars. We are likely in a better cap position this year than we were in last year.

probably a good point there.

and why are people so eager to jump on the bryant johnson bandwagon? are we not going to give mix a shot? he is young and a big receiver. and he has been playing special teams very well.

Nnamdi Asomugha and Johnson are our best bets. Neither *should* be bank-breakers, and both address positions of need. Furthermore, both are young and could really blossom.

I have no desire to pursue Faneca because I think the market for Guard's was permanently skewed with the Dockery deal (thanks Buffalo). Furthermore he's old. Yeah, we'll get a few good years out of him, but I'd rather build a rookie up under the tutelage of veterans and save some money in the process.

I have no desire to pursue Briggs, either. Let H.B. play; I think the kid is going to be a monster.

In terms of drafting, we need an impact DE I think, but I don't know about trading up for Chris Long. Yes, he'll probably be a beast, but getting a semi-beast and a quality rookie with our first and second round picks is a better bet for this team.

Also, get the Schmitt kid from WVU...just because.

No, unfortunately we don't. But the thing is, if we use FA well, we can increase the effectiveness of the draft. One of the trades going through my mind (if we got Asomugha and Johnson) is to trade our 1st and 2nd round picks to Miami or New England (I hate the thought of New England getting richer, so I'd rather trade with Miami), for their 1st round pick.

I know a lot of people here wouldn't like that, but considering we would have fulfilled two of our huge need positions in FA, we would have the luxury of taking a stud at our biggest need position.

I like the guys you mentioned as FA targets, especially Bryant Johnson. His price tag shouldn't be too bad based on his production as the 3 man in AZ.

Chris Long is projected to go #2 (updated on December 20th) by http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html. I don't think our 1st and a 2nd would be enough to move into the #2 slot. I think it's going to take our 09 1st along with our 08 1st to do it. If that's the case, 2 1sts is way to much to give up for a DE, especially when we're projected (see link above) to nab another DE, Calais Campbell, with the 19th pick.

This team has simply too many needs to be giving away picks, whether it be a 2nd rounder this year or a 1st rounder next year. IMO.

If we draft a DL like Campbell or D. Harvey in round 1, we can still come back and get another DL and OL in rounds 2-3. Or two OL in rounds 2-3. If we draft that way we'll be well positioned. I like Long, but we need all our picks.

He'll be franchised, otherwise I would definitely NOT stay away from him. Although I'd rather have one of the CBs, and doubt we will go after two guys with huge price tags.

Don't get me wrong, Haynesworth is an incredible player, but he is a ticking time bomb who's only holding his temper because he's in a contract year. He is Darryl Gardner II.

I'm just not interested in any Free Agent works anymore.

We've had quite a few busts.

I'm interested to see how the Skins handle the following people after the season ends...

Brandon Lloyd

Jon Jansen

Mark Brunell

How we deal with these guys will shape our prospects in the draft. I highly doubt anything will happen to Jansen. But he does get hurt a lot.

Dansby and Asomugha are good options depending on the asking price. People, Free Agency isn't the devil. Our approach has just been off. A young cheap WR wouldn't hurt either. Bryant Johnson would fit that description.

Actually, I'd say our approach under Gibbs was only off in 2006. Otherwise, we have done quite well in FA, amonst other places.

Brandon Lloyd

I think it depends on how much cap space we can free up and the willingness to eat his contract.

Jon Jansen

He reuped last year, so I expect him to stay.

Mark Brunell

He's gone.

Jason

Archived