Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Defense Dominates 2008 Free Agent Class

jimster

Suggs or Allen would be my choice. We gotta get someone who can get to the QB oppiste Andre Carter. We do that our whole secondary will open up
I agree. I think Suggs is a beast, I know he plays in the 3-4 but I think that guy could be great here putting his hand in the dirt or lining up as a lb on occasion. Allen would be great as well, we need one other person that can get to the Qb every down. If you look around the league most of the good teams can put constant pressure on the QB.

I have to say, I'm a little confused by all this talk of "Gosh, I'm so done with FA, FA sucks, we always get busts, let's just turn all our attention to the draft."

I understand we've had some busts in Gibbs II (with the '06 offseason being the main source of such busts), but this team would look nothing like it does today if not for FA.

Look at the players we're hoping we'll lead us into the playoffs. We're hoping that FA acquisition Todd Collins can continue his winning streak. We're counting on an OL anchored by FA acquisition Casey Rabach (a guy who should be flanked by FA acquisition Randy Thomas) to protect him. For him to succeed, he'll have to throw the ball to FA acquisition Antwaan Randle El, as well as FA pickups Todd Yoder, Keenan McCardell, and Reche Caldwell.

On defense, we're hoping our line will be able to control AD. To do so, we'll need a strong game from FA acquisition Cornelius Griffin up the middle, and from FA acquisition Philip Daniels on the outside. If he gets to the 2nd level, though, we'll have to rely on the tackling ability of FA acquisition London Fletcher at the Mike LB and FA acquisition Marcus Washington at the Sam. It'll also be important for us to keep Tarvaris Jackson on lock down. It'll help to pressure him, so we'll need a strong game from FA acquisition Andre Carter. We'll also have to try to shut down their WRs with single coverage, so we'll need FA acquisitions Shawn Springs and Fred Smoot to play up to their capabilities as well.

And of course, since it's likely to be a close game, we'll need to dominate field position. That means FA acquisition Shaun Suisham will have to kick off well, and we'll also need him to be reliable on FGs. FA acquisition Derrick Frost will also play a crucial role, and perhaps FA acquisition PR Randle El can break one.

Which is not to mention other players for whom we eschewed the draft, like Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, and Pete Kendall. We could have traded Champ and Laveranues for picks, and taken more shots in the draft. And Kendall, well, that was just a straight-up sacrifice of a pick for an old guy.

The fact is, the draft is great. I love the draft. Hell, I run the Redskins forum on a site tailored specifically to the draft. No one loves it more than me. But that doesn't mean that FA is worthless. More than half of the contributing players on our team were brought in via FA or trade, and many of them form the core of the team. FA is a great thing when you get the right guys, and when you use it in moderation. You can't sacrifice picks and you can't slam your cap room right up against the ceiling, but you CAN bring in relatively young guys with a lot of talent who can step in immediately at positions of need.

That's why I'd kill to land a Jared Allen, Terrell Suggs, or a Justin Smith in FA this offseason. I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons, but if we COULD it would be terrific. A relatively young guy who we can plug in at LE and from whom we can reasonably expect good play against the run and a solid total of sacks would be absolutely terrific. It would allow us to use the draft to address less pressing areas of need (like OL and CB and WR).

Archived