jimster

Defense dominates '08 free-agent class

Dec. 20, 2007

By Clark Judge

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Clark your opinion!

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10538757/rss

Prisco: Top 32 draft prospects

It's never too early to start thinking about next year, and next year is when you can start thinking of retooling your defense through free agency.

Asante Samuel, 27, would be a catch for any team looking for secondary help. (Getty Images)

Though some NFL talent scouts label the upcoming free-agent class as nothing more than ordinary, there is extraordinary talent that might be available for the right price.

And most of it is on defense, where you can find Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth and Chicago's Lance Briggs, as well as Jared Allen of Kansas City, Seattle's Marcus Trufant, Indy's Bob Sanders and New England's Asante Samuel.

If those names sound familiar, they should: All were named this week to the Pro Bowl rosters. And all stand to cash in on their achievements -- if, that is, they're not designated as their team's franchise players first.

Samuel and Briggs probably won't be. We already know that. But others aren't so certain, which means two months from now you might find some of these names missing from the Help: Wanted lines.

In fact, you can count on it.

Nevertheless, let's take a look at what might be ahead -- with a list of 10 of my favorite free-agents-to-be, in no particular order. Could we have a drum roll, please?

Asante Samuel, cornerback, New England: When the Patriots signed him to a one-year deal they included a provision that makes it unlikely they would protect him as their franchise player again. OK, then, that means one of two things happens: Either he gains a whopping extension with the Patriots, or he takes the money and runs. A year ago he had a league-best 10 interceptions; this season he has six, tied for second in the AFC. The point is: He's made a name for himself by making plays and shutting down receivers. Cornerbacks are quick to fly off the shelves in free agency, and they usually command top dollar. Samuel, who turns 27 next month, is the best free agent at his position and won't last long -- if, in fact, he makes it to the open market.

Bob Sanders, safety, Indianapolis: When the Colts suddenly stopped opposing rushing attacks in last year's playoffs, everyone said the difference was Sanders. And it was hard to argue after watching him chop down opposing backs. The guy is a fierce hitter with better-than-average coverage skills. That makes him an attractive catch for someone in free agency, but don't bet the house that he makes it to the market. The Colts don't let valued players walk, and Sanders is one of the two most important members of an improved defense. OK, so the Colts turned out running back Edgerrin James. They had a backup plan then, and it went something like this: Joseph Addai. Thank you very much. But without Sanders, the Indianapolis run defense is back to where it was the middle of last season -- and that is not good. Look for the Colts to keep him one way or the other.

Alan Faneca, guard, Pittsburgh: A five-time All-Pro choice, Faneca almost certainly won't return to Pittsburgh. He pretty much said as much when he reported to camp this summer and refused to talk about an extension. Faneca not only believes he deserves better than what he has in Pittsburgh, but he charged the team with reneging on a promise to take care of him financially if he waited to redo his contract. So Faneca waited, and nothing happened. Now he will wait on everyone else. Faneca is the top offensive lineman in this year's class and one of the top offensive linemen to hit the market in years. At 31, he should have more than a handful of high-caliber seasons left, and durability is never a question with the guy. He hasn't missed a game since 2001.

Michael Turner, running back, San Diego: He could start on most teams in the NFL, but he can't start on the Chargers. That's the price of sharing a locker room with LaDainian Tomlinson. Nevertheless, when Turner makes an appearance he makes an impression. Remember when San Diego snapped Indianapolis' 13-game unbeaten streak in 2005? It was Turner who finished the Colts with a game-clinching 83-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. He averages 5.7 yards a carry in his career and never averaged below 5.0 in any season. He can return kicks. He has decent hands, though the Chargers seldom have taken advantage of them. And he has almost no wear on him. That happens when you never have more than 80 carries in a season.

Randy Moss, wide receiver, New England: I can't see him leaving New England, either. What's happening with him this season is too much of a good thing for a guy who hasn't had many good things in his life lately. A year ago, the Raiders practically gave him away after two underwhelming years in Oakland. And they did it for a reason: They felt they were better off without him. And maybe they are. But New England is better off, too -- in fact, much better with Moss as a deep threat. All he's done is snag 19 touchdown passes, three short of Jerry Rice's single-season record, and win a Good Citizenship award for his behavior. Moss likes it in New England, and the Patriots like having him around. I would, too, if I had someone leading the league in receiving yards -- and that's what Moss is doing. It sure sounds like a marriage that can last. Stay tuned.

Marcus Trufant, cornerback, Seattle: His contract will void based on playing time, and that's not good for Seattle. Trufant was the Seahawks' best and most trusted defensive back this season -- and that was reflected by his choice over Charles Woodson to the Pro Bowl. Trufant is having the best of his five NFL seasons, with a three-interception effort against Arizona his most notable achievement. With a career-high seven interceptions, he's second only to San Diego's Antonio Cromartie, but that's only part of the story here. He leads the

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10538757/rss

Alan Faneca is the name that stands out but he is 31 years old and is going to want a deal which will make Dockerys contract with the Bills look like chump change.

I'd love to have him but on balance I'd rather see us get another year out of Pete Kendall and get someone in say the 3rd round to spend a year learning the ropes.

Marcus Trufant would be the DB I would look at if we cut Springs. He will cost a lot but not as much as Samuels and while he may be a notch under Samules as a cover guy he will be better value.

I'd love to have him but on balance I'd rather see us get another year out of Pete Kendall and get someone in say the 3rd round to spend a year learning the ropes.

Bingo - draft a OG and a center this year to begin grooming for the future.

...I'd also like to see us draft Owen Schmitt from WVU to groom at FB.

Trufant, Samuels, Briggs will be on the Radar

with Rocky and Carlos hurt until deep into the 2008 Season, we can't afford to not look at one of these guys. :2cents:

with how we always overspend on free agents and end up in cap hell until we do massive restructuring we cant afford TO look at one of these guys.

lets go the route of the colts and the others who build through the draft, not FA.

of that list yes, although I wouldn't be upset if we went after Briggs because we needt a replacement for Rocky for next year, then he could maybe take over for Marcus down the road.

you don't sign someone to some huge $50 million dollar contract just because your current starter may not return from injury in time to start the season

you don't sign someone to some huge $50 million dollar contract just because your current starter may not return from injury in time to start the season

No, but you might do it because he would immediately become your best starter on defense, and he plays a position where one starter is a question mark for a large chunk, if not all, of the following season, and the other starter is older, expensive and fading and surely won't be around for more than one year.

Bingo - draft a OG and a center this year to begin grooming for the future.

...I'd also like to see us draft Owen Schmitt from WVU to groom at FB.

YES! That kid would be a solid blocker for a decade or more. My buddy knows people there, and Schmitt is ridiculous in the weight room. We're talking like 450lbs Hang Cleans. Beast.

faneca is too old...you can't give big money to players over 30. Especially the way the redskins do contracts by pushing big cap money into the future. That strategy only works with younger players otherwise you end up with the 2000 Redskins all over again.

No, but you might do it because he would immediately become your best starter on defense, and he plays a position where one starter is a question mark for a large chunk, if not all, of the following season, and the other starter is older, expensive and fading and surely won't be around for more than one year.

That's why I even mentioned it - because it looks pretty certain that Rocky will not be back at all next year other than maybe spot duty toward the end of the season. - If the coaches think they can stick HB there for the year, then I'd be fine with that as well, but we will need to do something at LB for next season.

hopefully we pass on every single one of them

Once bitten twice shy, eh? Simply because we've done poorly in FA before doesn't mean that we shouldn't continue to try to successfullyuse both FA and the draft. That's what successful teams like the Pats do.

In any case, whoever wrote this is only putting out big names. This free agent pool is rife with talent. For instance:

- The best CB available, Nnamdi Asomugha, wasn't even mentioned on the list. He's bigger and younger than Samuel. He might not come with the championship pedigree that Samuel does, but that also means he'll be cheaper because there'll be a bidding war over Samuel.

- The best LB available, Karlos Dansby, also wasn't mentioned. This guys is having a great year with Arizona for a decent defense. He does a little bit of everything, including rush the passer. I haven't watched him much but I've heard that he's not a liability in coverage like some suggest Rocky is.

- There's also a young, athletic, big, productive WR out there. His name's Bryant Johnson, also from the Cardinals. He's good. I watched him when I went to Penn State, and let me tell you that without him, we wouldn't have had a passing game.

There are a ton of gems in this FA class, and if we spend wisely, we can go after need positions in the draft without stretching ourselves thin. For instance, if we can nab Asomugha and Johnson, then we can trade up in the draft (with the Dolphins or Pats) to get Chris Long. The LB position is very deep in this draft, and we can probably pick up J Leman out of Illinois in the third round.

For instance, if we can nab Asomugha and Johnson, then we can trade up in the draft (with the Dolphins or Pats) to get Chris Long. The LB position is very deep in this draft, and we can probably pick up J Leman out of Illinois in the third round.
do we even know how much we would have to give up to move up to a top 3 pick? i think it would be far too much.

but good list of the solid FAs not mentioned in the article.

Bob Sanders would be amazing to have on this team playing the strong safety position, but that's likely going to be a pipe dream. The guy I want on this team is Faneca at LG if we can afford it.

Given the draft pick we gave up for Kendall though that doesn't make much sense. Espescially not considering that Kendall has had a pretty good season for us so far.

Trufant is another interesting player for us. What happens with Springs is likely going to dictate what we do in free agency. Personally, I have a feeling that Springs will be back. There's simply no way Snyder would release him and risk having him improve a division rival that has struggled at the cornerback position opposite of Newman.

Archived