Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Mills File

RememberOsaka

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/index.php/2007/12/07/the-art-mills-file/

The Art Mills File

Posted by Dave McKenna on Dec. 7, 2007, at 1:27 pm

Art Mills is the star writer on the Redskins website. He writes columns for the news page of Redskins.com, part of Dan Snyder’s Redskins Unfiltered project that seeks to bypass the traditional news outlets. He’s also a moderator at extremeskins.com, the team-owned message board.

For years, he’s used both roles to attack any member of the mainstream media who didn’t write that the ownership and coaching and personnel and grounds crew and stadium and parking attendants and catering service were the best in the NFL.

Mills’ attacks were highlighted by the Nunyo Files, a thread that went after Nunyo Demasio, the former Skins beat reporter for the Washington Post, for every dangling participle and any other alleged imperfection in his copy.

Karma got in touch with Mills last week.

Turns out Unfiltered is also Unedited. Mills wrote an official appreciation of Sean Taylor for Redskins.com, and also posted the piece on extremeskins.com, telling his followers that it was “the hardest thing I’ve ever had to write.”

The lede of Mills’ column:

“We didn’t know Sean Taylor.

On 4th-and-four against Dallas, as he jarred the ball free from Patrick Crayton, we thanked him.”

Within minutes of Mills’ posting of his own heartfelt story, a poster named Califan showed the same silliness and pettiness Mills showed in his attacks against Demasio.

“Btw, it was 3rd-and-4 against Dallas, not 4th-and-4,” Califan typed.

Let the healing begin…

Posted by Dave McKenna

Art Mills is the star writer on the Redskins website.

Umm no, he's not. The "star writer" would be either Gary or Casey. Art does a fan piece on about a bi-weekly schedule. Gary & Casey on the otherhand, are putting several pieces on there a day.

Thankfully, unlike the Post, editors with Redskins.com actually fix the errors their writers have and we may thank Gary for his efforts. There was another typo Gary caught as well. I appreciate having people assure accuracy in what I write here or write for publication anywhere. Unfortunately Nunyo wasn't as gracious, often refusing to acknowledge error, blaming his editors for adding them or not correcting them, or dismissing them as relevant. Any error is a terrible thing. The Redskins just do a good job of identifying them and quickly wringing them from their copy. The Post does not.

Dave's fixation with me is cute and I certainly enjoy it, but, I'm not as playful on this topic -- i.e. Taylor -- as I would ordinarily be. Let's just say we can all hope a homeless person in D.C. gets comfort from his D.C. City Paper blanket tonight and hope Dave eventually rises above the free newspaper of D.C. in his career. :).

Thankfully, unlike the Post, editors with Redskins.com actually fix the errors their writers have and we may thank Gary for his efforts. There was another typo Gary caught as well. I appreciate having people assure accuracy in what I write here or write for publication anywhere. Unfortunately Nunyo wasn't as gracious, often refusing to acknowledge error, blaming his editors for adding them or not correcting them, or dismissing them as relevant. Any error is a terrible thing. The Redskins just do a good job of identifying them and quickly wringing them from their copy. The post does not.

$10 to the first one that finds a dangling participle :D

So let me get this straight, he's comparing all the laughable mistakes that Nunyo used to make to a tribute that cites a play as having occured on 4th and 4 instead of 3rd and 4?

Wow, I'm just stunned that clearly this McKenna guy has been itching to "catch" Art in a Nunyo error and it has taken him two years to come up with this one item that in the grand scheme of things is insignificant.

See Dave, Art was writing his feelings and memories of Sean Taylor as a tribute. The play he was referring to was a huge play and with the passage of time it has become magnified in all our minds so we do tend to "make it" become a 4th down play instead of a 3rd down play. It's natural. Just like we all talk about Darrell Green "knocking the ball out of Darren Nelson's hands" when in fact if you look at the play, Nelson had already dropped the pass and Darrell was just finishing him off. It always happens when a player or play becomes a legend.

For it to have been a Nunyo sized error, Art would have had to have been writing about that game the day after it occured and report that Sean's hit was on 4th instead of 3rd down.

But whatever man, if that's the best you got it's kind of pathetic.

ouch I think...a drama bomb from DH

3. Die Hard Says:

Dec. 8, 2007, at 12:00 am

Here is the greatest irony Dave. Every single time you write about Arthur Mills (and you’ve done so repeatedly in the past few years), all you do is perpetuate the problem.

Having known Art since 1999 (The Redskins TSN board)… and bringing him aboard as an ExtremeSkins moderator following it’s inception… Art is exactly what people have created him. He craves attention, drama, confrontation and celebrity.

I don’t begrudge Art for what he is… how can I? He isn’t even responsible for it. People give in willingly.

I remember when Art was nothing more than an anonymous moderator on a private, self-made website.

But the story was never the Redskins, the fans, the community, the people who sacrificed and labored for something they believed in, for the greater good - a feel good story.

Nope, the story has always been about Art Mills.

Bravo Dave.

Archived