Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Like It Or Not Last Six Weeks About Campbell

bulldog

After seeing today's game, it's apparent that the last 6 games of 2007 are about watching to see Jason Campbell step up and set the table for himself and the team up for a better 2008. It's NOT going to be about a playoff run.

We can and have blamed strategies and alignments for some of the lack of success at times in 2007 and some of that has credibility, but there is no gettng around the fact that the Redskins due to injuries are now compromised in the two areas of the team, offensive line and secondary, that prior to the season were supposed to be the strengths, the reasons WHY Washington was supposed to be competitive for a playoff spot.

The Redskins still can't establish the run against quality defenses and the pass protection is spotty, and that's 9 weeks after Jansen and then Thomas went down. There is just too much talent NOT out there for this unit to be effective the way it needs to be.

Ditto for the secondary. Rogers and Taylor are out. For some reason David Macklin, a 5 year starter in the NFL at corner, remains out of the lineup in perhaps a more perplexing situation than the one that accompanied Brandon Lloyd's soap opera that ended this past week with the clavicle injury. Leigh Torrence is the flavor of the month and so far the taste has been bitter.

That's two weeks in a row where the opposing quarterback has thrown 4 touchdown passes. Since halftime of last week's game, the Redskins secondary has been toast.

Maybe we can question why Gregg Williams doesn't match up his corners as Richie Petitbon did and have Springs cover Terrell Owens man up all over the field, but that doesn't account for all of the 173 yards and 4 TDs TO was able to rack up.

No, when it comes down to the bottom line, this team doesn't have the talent to beat the better teams on the schedule. Early on it was as much execution as anything else in some of the earlier games, but the cumulative injuries have now overcome any other considerations.

This is the perfect time to continue to give Campbell chances to make plays and establish himself in the NFL. You can't really do that playing as tight as this team played much of the first 7-8 weeks.

The 2007 Redskins are not going to win the Super Bowl. They are not going to win the NFC East. So, while Gibbs is obviously going to say publicly that 'we are still in it to win', the real goal for this team is to get better on offense over the final games and to do so in a way that allows Campbell to elevate himself. That means leaving the ball in his hands during crunch time.

As far as the OL and the secondary go, the story is injuries. And while one can grumble about a lack of draft picks on the OL, you certainly can't say that on defense. The players missing are top draft picks.

The Cowboys and Packers are 9-1 and at this point are both better football teams than the Redskins. A good part of the difference is clutch play at the quarterback position week in and week out.

The other part is injuries.

The Redskins can't do anything about the latter except to look towards having these players back later on. But we can do something about the former over the next 6 weeks and should make every attempt to get that job done.

WHat you said.

I'm just glad it looks like we have a QB that is going to actually work out and be around for a long time, although this off season we need to address who is behind Jason.

Open up the play book, let him run the 2 minute drill and no huddle the whole game. Roll him in the pocket. See what he can do

We'll be spoilers for some folks, but we're just too crippled to make the playoffs. Even if by some miricle we do, we'll be toast in the first round.

Let the kid play

I think it is so funny how much our team resembles the 2006 Dallas team. Both have coaches that are handcuffing their team, when both teams have incredible talent. If ST and JC get locked up for a very long time, and we get a fresh new coach that let's our players loose, I see us being very dominant for years to come. Unfortunately, we have another year and a half of Gibbs 2.0.

The only big thing wrong I noticed with Jason today was his propensity to underthrow when he's moving. That can, and I'm sure will, be fixed. His pocket presence is excellent with the exception of the sack/fumble. bulldog's right let's let him win or lose this season and who knows. All is not lost for this season I think, we can still do some damage. I opt to retain a little bit of hope.

I'm not counting us out until we're out. There are too many games left and too many scenarios that have to play out before the 'Skins are eliminated. Although I'm frustrated with today's result, I was excited to see JC play well all the way until he threw the interception. Why we didn't man up on TO is puzzling, especially after the first two TDs. We sorely missed ST tonite. Key injuries are killing us but we have to deal with it like all of the other teams. We had a real shot at them at their house and again we let it slip away. I guess that's the storyline for this years "Skins. There are six games left to right this ship. Don't give up yet. HTTR!

Don't get me wrong I want to win games too :)

What I don't want to see happen is for the tenor of the games to get Gibbs back to the 'we have to run the ball 45 times and control the clock' to compete mode and thus retard Campbell's development.......................

Campbell looks great, and it's because of Gibbs. I don't think he's holding the kid back at all but maybe that's just what I want to see. At any rate, JC is the real deal and I still think this team has a shot at the playoffs.

Just play devil's advocate with me for a second.

Suppose the skins slip into the playoffs. Green Bay, Dallas, Giants, Detriot? Tampa, Seattle. We will have lost to GB by 3, Dallas by 4, Giants we held the lead on, Detriot we stomped, we play TB, and Seattle isn't all that great ...

The team still has a legit shot at something here

Great post and great responses... only thing to add is in reference to this quote:

The only big thing wrong I noticed with Jason today was his propensity to underthrow when he's moving. That can, and I'm sure will, be fixed.

While I agree with this comment, as well, I noticed a few times in today's game that Jason underthrew the WR - but that the ball was where it had to be. That is to say that although the pass was underthrown, it appeared that a properly thrown pass would have been intercepted. What makes me agree with the comment is that this is, more or less, semantics. The WRs are fast. They're getting to their spots fast. Jason needs to throw a little faster sometimes, as a result. He cannot expect to have his WRs always reaching back so successfully. And besides, that kills YAC. :)

We're injured as heck, we're vulnerable in areas....and I still think we can win out.

Really. And I'm not being a blind homer. Injured as we are, shaky as we've been, we were still one play away from beating a likely 1st or 2nd seed playoff team, on their turf, in a game that no one gave us a chance to win.

We're 5-5 now. I honestly believe that we can finish 11-5 and get a wildcard berth. What we do from there, I don't know. But I think we can get there.

Remaining on our schedule are:

@ Tampa Bay

Buffalo

Chicago

@ New York Giants

@ Minnesota

Dallas

I don't think it will be easy, but I most definitely believe that, barring further key injuries and provided that a few guys get healthy as expected, we can win all six of those games if we continue to let Jason run the offense.

*shrug*

I just don't see why not. And I don't disagree with anything that bulldog said, except for not making a playoff run.

Maybe the next few weeks will prove me wrong, and if that happens, it happens. But I'm not conceding anything yet.

our BIG RUN is going to be next year, and by big i mean NFC Championship/Superbowl type of team

this year we do have a run in us, a lot like 2005...this year will be great to get Campbell ready for our big run next year, and a playoff birth and maybe a playoff win will only help Jason

BS - this team is going to make a solid playoff run. Campbell looks better and better each week

I think you missed the point. IMO, Bulldog is saying that we need to play Campbell completely unchained for the rest of year. If the playoffs happen, great. Valuable experience for JC. If not, so be it. Campbell would have gotten more reps in a spread offense and gained experience leading the team in crunch time.

Basically, his point is the priority isn't so much making the playoffs now as it is to watch JC develop and grow.

And, while I think we can make the playoffs, I agree with him.

the Redskins played with focus today (and maybe some fear of getting run out of the stadium if they didn't) . in the end the defense was overpowered by a Dallas offense that had too many playmakers. IF the Redskins play with the same intensity in the final 6 games we can be competitive, no question. The key is IF.

Because I can look back to last week and see a team that didn't play that way against the Eagles.

We're injured as heck, we're vulnerable in areas....and I still think we can win out.

Really. And I'm not being a blind homer. Injured as we are, shaky as we've been, we were still one play away from beating a likely 1st or 2nd seed playoff team, on their turf, in a game that no one gave us a chance to win.

We're 5-5 now. I honestly believe that we can finish 11-5 and get a wildcard berth. What we do from there, I don't know. But I think we can get there.

Remaining on our schedule are:

@ Tampa Bay

Buffalo

Chicago

@ New York Giants

@ Minnesota

Dallas

I don't think it will be easy, but I most definitely believe that, barring further key injuries and provided that a few guys get healthy as expected, we can win all six of those games if we continue to let Jason run the offense.

*shrug*

I just don't see why not. And I don't disagree with anything that bulldog said, except for not making a playoff run.

Maybe the next few weeks will prove me wrong, and if that happens, it happens. But I'm not conceding anything yet.

I agree whole heartedly! We get Sean Taylor back in a week or two and we will be getting Randy Thomas back very soon. We should have won this game and I hope the guys take solice in that fact. We beat ourselves with that last INT. We should have won. I wouldn't want to be Dallas on Dec. 30th. ST will make T.O. for each TD he had. I think we might even keep him out of the endzone completely. With Randy Thomas back we will be able to run the ball a lot better and that will be HUGE! I have never been happier with a loss in my life. Expect some more big performances from Mr. Moss. He was awakened and so have the rest of the WRs. We have been lighting up teams lately in the passing game. SIX IN A ROW BABY!!!! :helmet:

Next year is next year. As upset as i am right now over losing to the cowboys i am ecstatic about what i am seeing out of jason campbell and this offense. With our record now, getting ST back, and the progression of our QB and coaches playcalling i dont see why we cant make a serious run and finish out the season on a superb note. This team is not going to give up. I dont think we should either

We get Thomas and Taylor back in December. We are 1 game out of the wild card with an easier schedule than Detroit. To say this team can't make a playoff run is ridiculous. O plays the way they did today, we'll go 5-1 over the next 6 and be in the postseason. Now what we do in the playoffs on the road is a different story.

Bulldog...We played the hardest team on our schedule in the NFC and lost by 5 on the road. How can you say we will struggle against the better teams when they arent any good ones left except the giants.

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year anyway and we are in the position to make a serious run.

Detriot is going to choke and the Zona has the same record as us.

We will finish 8-8 and probably miss the playoffs. But, dont give up hope. This team is better than the 2005 team. When Taylor comes back and THomas, we will make a serious run.

:cheers: to proving you wrong bull dog.

I have to say even though we lost I think Campbell is looking special especially in the 2 minute drill/hurry up that was an inexperience pick but the offense moved the ball very well and I cannot see there is much unchaining to do.

Of all the teams in the wild card picture I can see Gibbs gaining his december magic coming through and we will at least be in it for the last wild card .

Another thing is with Rogers and Taylor in this game I don't think we see Owens running wild ... the secondary wasn't beat it was embarrassed caught out of place time after time and you have to wonder how much that is related to the players trying to fill in for Taylor and to a lesser degree rogers . In one TD pass Springs gave up on the play expecting safety help over the top but the stand in was not on the right page .

We are seeing something with Campbell that we haven't for a long time- a franchise QB. The kid is solid and getting steadily better. No matter what happens the rest of this season you have to be a diehard pessimist not to admit that we are in better shape than we have been since Gibbs 1.0. Next season....... well, that's next season and I am looking forward to the rest of this one first, but some important pieces have clicked into place for the Skins to rise again.

Archived