Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GREGG WILLIAMS is SORRY! (Make your comments about Williams and the D here).

GO GO SKINS

im just pissed that gregg williams decided to stop playing a man coverage scheme with exotic blitzes, and now plays a generic cover 2 with a decent to below average pass rush. we dont have the players to run a cover 2 and he still does it anyways.

our defense isnt good, even with taylor in there teams were slaying us. over the past 5 games weve given up over 370 yards a game and given up over 19 points per game. were going to finish in the bottom 15. sad but true.

I thought I was the only other person that felt this way. You cannot run a cover 2 without pressure from your front 4. Its that simple. You're putting your best defenders (CB's) in short zones and having them trail the play. The seam down the middle is open behind the LB's. The area between the safeties and CBs is open. Why a cover 2 is effective is because it forces a QB to make an accurate throw over the top of the defenders. When the pressure from your 4 lineman is there, the qb must make an accurate throw quickly, which forces errant passes and int's.

Our cover 2 is just a zone. There is no pressure from the D-line. Romo sits to pee had no problem throwing the seam behind the LB's and over the top of Springs.

I admit I am a little disappointed that TO was apparently left to run free in our secondary. One might think that putting a man on the other teams playmaker after his second score might have been a good idea. But hey ... he is a coach and i am just a fan with an opinion.

Did Gregg Williams Blow any coverages? Did Gregg Williams Miss any tackles? Answer those question then come back to me. The point im trying to make is this, When you are missing the Most Feared Safety in the NFL WR have no fear of going over the middle.ie the last qtr and 1/2 against the iggles and all game long yesterday. See Witten and Owens.

I'm sorry, Sean Taylor is a playmaker, but a defense shouldn't collapse with out him. Good defenses can overcome an injury.

Your right and as The Sir just posted they followed the game plan in the 1st half and were successfull. In the 2nd half they were not. You can not blame Greg Williams on this one. Maybe the Philly game but not this one. :2cents:

I thought I was the only other person that felt this way. You cannot run a cover 2 without pressure from your front 4. Its that simple. You're putting your best defenders (CB's) in short zones and having them trail the play. The seam down the middle is open behind the LB's. The area between the safeties and CBs is open. Why a cover 2 is effective is because it forces a QB to make an accurate throw over the top of the defenders. When the pressure from your 4 lineman is there, the qb must make an accurate throw quickly, which forces errant passes and int's.

Our cover 2 is just a zone. There is no pressure from the D-line. Romo sits to pee had no problem throwing the seam behind the LB's and over the top of Springs.

the safeties were up at the line of scimmage yesterday a lot more than I have seen in previous games. pressure was brought from the safeties and from LB blitzes. it wasn't like some are suggesting that we mind numbingly dropped the safeties 20-25 yards back on EVERY play. you had 2 rookies in the secondary (basicly) and a back-up (Smoot)...as well as inexperienced rotations (Torrence). There were screw-ups in coverages...pure and simple. TO is a monster......very few folks can stay with him...ST being one of them. laying it all at the feet of GW is one sided and...frankly.....intellectually dishonest.

Your right and as The Sir just posted they followed the game plan in the 1st half and were successfull. In the 2nd half they were not. You can not blame Greg Williams on this one. Maybe the Philly game but not this one. :2cents:

you're right! no chance whatsoever that the cowpukes adjusted!

except that 50% of TO's TDs were sideline catches.

:doh: He wasn't hurt against the Pats.

Has anyone stopped the Pats this year. If you paid attention to that game the Pats threw nothing over the middle of the field, they just dinked and dunked there way down and we didn't stop them

I know Taylor is out but when is the last time you saw a receiver have FOUR touchdowns in a game huh??

I saw a WR do it in a half last night, let alone a whole game. It happens.

Really thats interesting how come coaches with Patriots and Colts always overcome things like this but the Skins never do. I'm tired of all the excuses!!!

Did the Colts really overcome it last year. When Sanders was out they were a sieve on defense. They couldnt stop anyone and everybody basically ruled them out. As soon as he came back they went on the run that eventually led to their Super Bowl win. One player can make a huge difference on a defense.

It's not Greg Williams fault at all. This is not his doing! Pearson Preliou has cost us the game for the second week in a row. He CAN NOT fill Sean Taylor's shoes and the Eagles and Cowboys knew it.

Have to agree here. No one on our roster can fill ST's shoes, and Pierson has been exposed the last two weeks.

sean taylor is one of the best players in the league, but when Harrison was out for the pats did you see their D skip a beat? NO! Coaches have to be able to come up with away to stop people. Williams let TO run wild all day in zones. He should have been doubled all day long. Let anyone else beat us. NOT T ****ING O

Two totally different schemes of defense. You are comparing apples to oranges here. Dallas has weapons all over the field and you double TO all day and Witten, Crayton, or Hurd will find ways to get open.

Some people on here need to face reality and stop defending GW!! It is his lack of personel and game adjustments that is hurting this defense and ultimately the team!! As the general of the defense, it's his duty & responsibility to recognize the talent level of the players he has and adjust his defense accordingly. He knew Doughty and Prioleu suck in coverage and should've been helped out with precise blitzes. I still don't know why Doughty was in the game instead of Fox and he chooses Torrence over Macklin? Fox played decent last year as safety and Macklin has started for other teams and held his own. His arrogance in his own defensive "genius" has continuously contributed to the destruction of our defense! (We're still paying dearly for letting Pierce, Arrington, & Clark go) He has to realize, there's no coach alive who has a scheme that performs by plugging any player. Ask Phil Jackson now that he doesn't have a all-star team anymore, but reguarded as one of the best, if not the best NBA coach of all time! GW needs to start game planning according to the talent he has available. All of these defensive upgrades this year with the overall talent we have and way we're performing is unacceptable!! It's no reason he shouldn't be coaching the same way he was 2-3 yrs ago when he had a top 5 defense!!

You can not shut out the Cowpukes, but you can contain them.

For the most part, we did that. If our MVP is back there, it's a totally different game.

Gregg Williams was not the problem yesterday.

yes he was, because he called a game that didnt make up for the fact that taylor wasnt there. he had safties in the same zones taylor plays, and because taylor can cover more area than god, it works. when reed doughty is put in that position, we see what happens.

gregg williams even said on the radio this week he wasnt going to change his gameplan regardless of taylor being out. thats arrogance and we saw how that translated on the field yesterday.

no adjustments = death in the 2nd half.

The game plan was fine.

Springs wasn't. Easily the goat of the game. Guy looked like he didn't even want to be out there. I can't recall when I've ever seen such sheer laziness on the field.

I saw the same thing. Springs was the "best" CB that we could put on Owens. His best wasn't good enough. As I said in an earlier post "The Cover 2 looked like cover NOBODY"

The safeties were counting on Springs to get the bump at the line, he didn't and let Owens go free. You can't give him a free ride.

I actually thought that only one of TO's touchdowns came from coaching. The one were he faked the slant and then faded behing Fletcher. And even that was more of a great call by Dallas than a bad call by Washington. The other 3 td's came from a great stop fade route, a blown coverage, and a missed tackle. And also the players were not re-routing any of the receivers, which is essential in a cover 2 zone. You can't let the WR's run around full speed like that without getting a hand on them or atleast, after 5 yards, getting in their way so they have to adjust their routes. Overall Greg Williams coaching scheme was solid. The actual execution was poor though. Maybe that has to do with the issues going on in Springs personal life, or more than likely the personel we had on the field.

When have you ever seen ANY redskins CB bump any WR at the line of scrimmage? I'll tell you...NEVER!! Now the burning question is it the WR's choice not to play aggressive and try to bump and re-route the receiver messing up the offensive timing? Or is it GW coaching them to play that way? The answer seems pretty clear to me...

yes he was, because he called a game that didnt make up for the fact that taylor wasnt there. he had safties in the same zones taylor plays, and because taylor can cover more area than god, it works. when reed doughty is put in that position, we see what happens.

gregg williams even said on the radio this week he wasnt going to change his gameplan regardless of taylor being out. thats arrogance and we saw how that translated on the field yesterday.

no adjustments = death in the 2nd half.

The hate and ignorance keep flowing from you, BLC. It is not called arrogance. It is called knowing that that was are best option. And you know what, had there not been a blown coverage (players fault, not Williams) and a missed tackle (once again, players fault, not Williams), we WOULD have won that game and his "arrogant" game plan would have worked.

Archived