Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GREGG WILLIAMS is SORRY! (Make your comments about Williams and the D here).

GO GO SKINS

I actually thought that only one of TO's touchdowns came from coaching. The one were he faked the slant and then faded behing Fletcher. And even that was more of a great call by Dallas than a bad call by Washington. The other 3 td's came from a great stop fade route, a blown coverage, and a missed tackle. And also the players were not re-routing any of the receivers, which is essential in a cover 2 zone. You can't let the WR's run around full speed like that without getting a hand on them or atleast, after 5 yards, getting in their way so they have to adjust their routes. Overall Greg Williams coaching scheme was solid. The actual execution was poor though. Maybe that has to do with the issues going on in Springs personal life, or more than likely the personel we had on the field.

nice comments...and so young!!!!!

The hate and ignorance keep flowing from you, BLC. It is not called arrogance. It is called knowing that that was are best option. And you know what, had there not been a blown coverage (players fault, not Williams) and a missed tackle (once again, players fault, not Williams), we WOULD have won that game and his "arrogant" game plan would have worked.

you know what i hate? when we give up 4 touchdown to the same guy, and touchdowns of 31, 46, and 52 yards.

and yes its arrogance from GW, and playing reed doughty i doubt was his best option. if thats his best option, im very scared for next week too. and guess what? blown coverage on one play is exactly that, a mistake/blown coverage. blown coverage on multiple plays that cost your team the game, thats just bad coaching. owens was wide open on all of his TDs in the 2nd half, which was completely unacceptable. why someone wasnt on him all day man up was beyond me, and hopefully any sane person. you dont leave TO in soft zones, unless you want a repeat of yesterday.

I actually thought that only one of TO's touchdowns came from coaching. The one were he faked the slant and then faded behing Fletcher. And even that was more of a great call by Dallas than a bad call by Washington. The other 3 td's came from a great stop fade route, a blown coverage, and a missed tackle. And also the players were not re-routing any of the receivers, which is essential in a cover 2 zone. You can't let the WR's run around full speed like that without getting a hand on them or atleast, after 5 yards, getting in their way so they have to adjust their routes. Overall Greg Williams coaching scheme was solid. The actual execution was poor though. Maybe that has to do with the issues going on in Springs personal life, or more than likely the personel we had on the field.
Nice analysis of the game and well-thought out comments. :applause:

owens was wide open on all of his TDs in the 2nd half, which was completely unacceptable. why someone wasnt on him all day man up was beyond me, and hopefully any sane person. you dont leave TO in soft zones, unless you want a repeat of yesterday.

The guy who was supposed to be on him for at least three of those was caught on-camera getting a new ass torn yesterday.

The guy who was supposed to be on him for at least three of those was caught on-camera getting a new ass torn yesterday.

isnt that our "shutdown" corner that everyone claims is so good? youre trying to tell me our veteran corner, former first round draft pick, and finally healthy shawn springs blew coverage THAT many times yesterday? i find that hard to believe.

and how do you blow coverage if youre supposed to be on TO all day? if thats your assigment, you just stay on TO and follow him, end of story. a 33 year old vet doesnt botch that assignment multiple times in one game.

Watch the video replays.

He did.

The only TD I that may be skeptical was the one when Fletcher was left alone in the middle of the field. Even then, he ran in at the end like either he realized he blew coverage or he was trying to make up. Otherwise, he was directly involved in the other three.

Watch the video replays.

He did.

im going to watch the game again this week, i still find it hard to believe. it seemed like he stopped manning up with him in the 2nd half. we play the corners in those short zones and leave our safties up. they kept sending witten in the direction of one saftey to draw him away, and TO would be wide open, either down the sideline or over the dead middle of the field.

all day long with this nonsense, for 173 yards and 4 TDs. ouchzors batman.

Two straight games the Skins lost because they let the one player that has to be accounted for on EVERY PLAY beat them. Repeatedly. That is inexcusable. That is on the coaches as well. You don't pass Owens off like he is any other player. That is stupid and stubborn! Stubborness by Gregg Williams has blown a lot of games the last 2 years!

:applause:

The lack of accountability for both Westbrook last week and TO this week is puzzling. I realize they are good players and will make plays, but to pay them so little attention makes no sense. I am not sure which instance is worse. Westbrook is the only legit O threat on Philly so that is totally inexcusable, but so is continuing to play the same D scheme that has already allowed TO multiple TDs. Stubborn to a fault. Why pass TO off to Doughty, Torrence, or Priouleau and keep the CB up to guard a zone containing nobody? Brilliant.

I think we need to get rid of spazzing posters that start one sentence threads.

:applause: exactly.

Williams did what he could. And guess what, with the game hanging in the balance, less than 5 minutes left, the defence stepped up and made the play they had to, Cowboys, 3-and-out and our offence gets the balls back only down by 5.

Our safeties...Doughty and Prioleau...lost the game for us...they simply aren't great safeties...they're good...but the cowboys picked on them for good reason and look what happened...with ST back there the cowboys wouldn't have been able to do that. It's too bad.

The lack of accountability for both Westbrook last week and TO this week is puzzling. I realize they are good players and will make plays, but to pay them so little attention makes no sense. I am not sure which instance is worse. Westbrook is the only legit O threat on Philly so that is totally inexcusable, but so is continuing to play the same D scheme that has already allowed TO multiple TDs. Stubborn to a fault. Why pass TO off to Doughty, Torrence, or Priouleau and keep the CB up to guard a zone containing nobody? Brilliant.

agreed, we should have been focusing on these guys and taking them out of the game.

let patrick crayton and reggie brown beat us, if they can beat us then we deserve to lose. but its like williams dares these stars to beat us and they end up having field days on our defense. again it goes back to williams being stubborn about not changing his defensive schemes to suit different teams. he seems to think his D can stop anybody on any given day, no matter who the team.

id start another thread, but im too lazy: where did the gregg williams of 04 and 05 go?? the guy who was creative and you never knew what was coming? now we play this generic tampa 2 with the wrong personel, and i still cant figure out why.

Watch the video replays.

He did.

The only TD I that may be skeptical was the one when Fletcher was left alone in the middle of the field. Even then, he ran in at the end like either he realized he blew coverage or he was trying to make up. Otherwise, he was directly involved in the other three.

We were running a cover 2...everybody knew it. We, the fans knew it...sure as heck believe that Romo sits to pee & TO knew it. The only thing the DBs coach could've been mad at Springs for is not running alongside TO out of his zone (which he didn't because Witten was approaching it) giving Romo sits to pee a larger window to throw too, & not disguising the coverage.

It comes down to coaching. Fletcher running with TO is a losing proposition. A backup safety running with TO is 'handing the game over'. What D-Coord wouldn't have FORCED SOMEONE ELSE TO BEAT THEM?

- Springs looked confused as to what to do when two players approach his zone (repeatedly). *Not only did they have examples of Dallas doing this to the Bears' cover 2 D, Williams made NO in game adjustments...not 1.

-They had no answer for Dallas flooding the strongside with WRs. We let them match a backup safety of ours up on their WR. The mismatches they designed worked without any intervention or countering from our DC.

-Dallas has played terrible & great secondaries...none of them let one person beat them to the tune of 4 TDs. Think about it, after 2 we should've shaded our entire secondary to TO. After 3, there's no way TO should've been able to beat us again. To beat us in a critical, late-game situation, for his longest catch of the day?! Pathetic...

We were running a cover 2...everybody knew it. We, the fans knew it...sure as heck believe that Romo sits to pee & TO knew it. The only thing the DBs coach could've been mad at Springs for is not running alongside TO out of his zone (which he didn't because Witten was approaching it) giving Romo sits to pee a larger window to throw too, & not disguising the coverage.

It comes down to coaching. Fletcher running with TO is a losing proposition. A backup safety running with TO is 'handing the game over'. What D-Coord wouldn't have FORCED SOMEONE ELSE TO BEAT THEM?

- Springs looked confused as to what to do when two players approach his zone (repeatedly). *Not only did they have examples of Dallas doing this to the Bears' cover 2 D, Williams made NO in game adjustments...not 1.

-They had no answer for Dallas flooding the strongside with WRs. We let them match a backup safety of ours up on their WR. The mismatches they designed worked without any intervention or countering from our DC.

-Dallas has played terrible & great secondaries...none of them let one person beat them to the tune of 4 TDs. Think about it, after 2 we should've shaded our entire secondary to TO. After 3, there's no way TO should've been able to beat us again. To beat us in a critical, late-game situation, for his longest catch of the day?! Pathetic...

again...you, like others, grossly exaggerate...on two of those 4 TDs TO was tightly covered (in the endzone and the missed tackle)...and the passes were on the sidelines...not up the middle.

Guest Rafterman
You can't say that. One thing about this team. They appear to play up to the level, or down to the level, or the team they are playing. But they almost always find a way to lose.

They seem to always find a way.

That's coaching, or lack there of.

again...you, like others, grossly exaggerate...on two of those 4 TDs TO was tightly covered (in the endzone and the missed tackle)...and the passes were on the sidelines...not up the middle.

The only 1 play that Springs got beat on, was a great play by design, with a great throw, on a great route, that was a great catch.

On virtually every throw to TO in a cover 2...Dallas' play by design didn't allow the CB to follow the receiver completely out of the zone because they ran another receiver into it from the other side. The safety was ALWAYS late in getting over. Oh, and the Romo sits to pee had more than enough time to wait for the play to develop.

Jaws showed exactly how Dallas dismantled the Bears Tampa 2...and sure enough, when we played it, they did the same thing to us.

You can only do so much with your defensive MVP hurt.

You make a good point. It seems to me the Redskins are effected far more by injuries than other teams.

This team consists of a large group of random free agents. Each player is required to make their own play. The team does not play as a team. It plays the way it was assembled. It wasn't desinged or built. It was bought.

The design is random free agents put together in the hope that something might happen.

Because the team does not function or act like a team, it relies too much on random acts individual effort and luck by a select group of heros.

This might work as long as all the heros are healthy and in the game.

Another reason the Redskins are effected far more by injuries than other teams is that 10% of their players are getting 90% of the salary cap. When one of these elite players gets injured, he's usually replaced by a 3rd string scrub.

You make a good point. It seems to me the Redskins are effected far more by injuries than other teams.

That's because we have a bigger drop in talent between our starters and backups than most teams. We have been pretty good in some spots, terrible in others.

Still out talent has been enough to keep us in games and ready for the win (except against NE), but keep gift-wrapping losses.

I only read the first two pages in the thread so I'm not sure if it was covered elsewhere but I know someone pointed out that we did well in the first half but the second half we laid a goose egg. Well, how often does that happen? We've given up, what, 4 games where we originally had the lead in the first half? Most of those games we had Sean Taylor. He makes a difference but only so much of one.

I'd say the underlying problem is that teams are offensively making a great halftime adjustment (like TO mentioned his coach does) and Gregg makes hardly any adjustment at all durign halftime. Don't get me wrong, I think he plans things out well before the game (thus the first half leads) but the second half? Man we get burned way too often. Teams almost score at will in the second half.

The only 1 play that Springs got beat on, was a great play by design, with a great throw, on a great route, that was a great catch.

How do you figure Springs only got beaten on one play... ? He was simply awful yesterday. Watch him even before the snaps. The guy was playing lazy and didn't even look like he wanted to be playing football.

Archived