Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GREGG WILLIAMS is SORRY! (Make your comments about Williams and the D here).

GO GO SKINS

LOL...the point is that it is NOT happening but it is in fact a figment of the fan's imaginations and a product of group think. Every game, fans lead themselves to believe that GW botches games because they have these preconceived notions... If one fan says that he changed the "D" ,the next fan is going to follow suit and if one says that he did not adjust, the other will follow. No facts, no basis but for the simple reason that someone else said so and it sounded good.

Why would he have the uncanny ability to adjust when not needed and not adjust whenever he needs to unless he was trying to lose games on purpose?

Plenty is happening that we can question how successful Williams is in commanding his unit of the team. You've been harping on execution, well at what point do you hold coaches accountable for the level of execution? Or for choosing what defense his handpicked players execute better from? Or questioning whether he's even acquired the right players to run his scheme?

We saw Williams throw every young safety we have to the wolves on Sunday. There aren't many safeties in the NFL that can cover TO. We have 1 on our roster. At no point in time, you didn't think it might've been a good idea to try something else? After 2 TDs? 3?

LOL...the point is that it is NOT happening but it is in fact a figment of the fan's imaginations and a product of group think. Every game, fans lead themselves to believe that GW botches games because they have these preconceived notions... If one fan says that he changed the "D" ,the next fan is going to follow suit and if one says that he did not adjust, the other will follow. No facts, no basis but for the simple reason that someone else said so and it sounded good.

Why would he have the uncanny ability to adjust when not needed and not adjust whenever he needs to unless he was trying to lose games on purpose?

No, what's happening here is that you've decided something (Williams must be great) and then deciding everyone who sees things differently must just not be as smart as you. First off, I've been on this board quite a bit and haven't seen many people saying "GW abandons defense that are working", that is basically a strawman argument. Regardless, I have zero interest in what other people think. I'm not going to defense other people's opinions. I am watching the games and seeing what we're doing. And it's obvious to me, without any "groupthink" or any other false arguments, that Williams is running basically the same defense from beginning to end, no matter how the offense adjusts to it.

You want a simple stat to prove it? Here's one: We've allowed 84 points to be scored on us in the first half of games this year, 137 in the second. That means that somehow teams are improving by 63% in the second half agianst us. As a basis of comparison here's scoring against by half for the other teams in our division:

Dallas 111-100

NYG 92-108

Philly 107-80

That means this year our defense has been the best in our division in the first half, yet BY FAR the worst in the second half. I don't need any "group think" or "preconceived notions" to let me see this.

He needs to be fired. There is no excuse for covering TO with at LB.

Schemes need to be changed according to what the other team is doing - he cannot adjust anything. He is clueless. I could do a better job

Tom

For the record, I just talked to Joe Gibbs and suggested he hire you as defensive coordinator and fire Greg Williams. He didn't seem to think it was a good idea.:laugh:

I'm glad this thread was made because he is sorry. I just couldn't understand why the hell on 3rd and whatever you line your corners 8 to 10 yards offf the receiver. You will convert everytime. what kind of defense is that? and they say he's one of the best...my ass. they do not when if we stop them on 3rd downs. i think they coverted like 75% of 3rd downs. piss poor defense performance!! Wish i had a phone number or two id call and cuss their ass and fine the coaches for defensive calls like that.

ever listen to GW on those COMCAST interviews? The number one problem he had to fix from last season - and his number one priority this season - is taking away the long pass. that's HIS priority. the players have to execute that defense properly. they didn't do that last Sunday at key times.

the defense is stopping the run pretty well. just like last season...the secondary is being disrupted by a lot of injuries. fcat of the matter is Rogers was plying reasonably well and ST was the deep "sheriff". in the Boysb game we had two rookies (basically) at the safeties, a smallish CB in Smoot who is not the starter, and a CB who has missed most practices for the prior two weeks. did anyone expect problems NOT to surface? that is why many of us are happy withn what did happen - not that it was stellar - but that it could have been a lot worse.

Hi. Can someone PLEASE let me know what has changed in the last few years with our defence? I felt we a real good defence a few years ago and now I feel we have some better players but our defence has not been good the last 2 years. Aside from the injuriers WHAT HAS CHANGED? What did we do well a few years ago that we are not doing now? Thanks.

Hi. Can someone PLEASE let me know what has changed in the last few years with our defence? I felt we a real good defence a few years ago and now I feel we have some better players but our defence has not been good the last 2 years. Aside from the injuriers WHAT HAS CHANGED? What did we do well a few years ago that we are not doing now? Thanks.

Instead of following the formula of his predecessor, Buddy Ryan in the 4-6...and creating a name for being able to adjust to any situation out of that set, in 2005 he's increasingly turned us into a cover 2, out of a 4-3.

According to history (his previous coaching jobs), he's alienated and lost the players within about 3 years...as a result the players stop playing for him. Despite us not having the personnel to run a cover 2 he is unwavering in his belief that it's the best D for us to run...

He'll probably 'address' the problem in the offseason by drafting another DB.

We need to get rid of him, and his pitiful unproductive playbook.

At first I thought he issued an apology. THEN I opened the thread. The defense wasn't that bad on Sunday. Yes TO scored 4 TD's. Yes we lost the game. But I was proud of the defense. They made stops without Sean being in the game. The Romo sits to pee sack in the 4th quarter gave us our shot. Time was managed pretty good by Gibbs seeing we had two time outs late in the game.

Like all of you I hated seeing us lose. However I didn't come away with a bad taste in my mouth. We stood up to the big bad wolf and almost blew HIS HOUSE in.

This is in Williams' defense? You're just showing that he's not making the appropriate decisions either way.

and many of us find the "make adjustments" argument sweepingly mindless. change to what? as though change for the sake of change will somehow make things better. the burden of proof is on these defensive rocket scientists to establish that case...and they emphatically haven't...and to establish that we have the personnel to execute alternative strategies. as an example, the idea of pressing TO at the line is frankly ludicrous when you don't have CBs with the size and strength to make that happen. going man-to-man when an aging SS is the only oine who can do that on a consistent basis (or could at one time) may not be the greatest idea either.

also...the defensive rocket scientists are themselves building strawman cases....the defenses Williams ran in the Boy's game were different from what was done in the first 4 games in a statistically significant way.

despite all the ancilliary problems (e.g., clock management, JG's conservatoive playcallng) this team has had two core problems all along: bonehead/execution mistakes by the players that have cost multiple games; and, it simply does not have dominant D or O lines that can take over games. The former can be fixed...the latter will have to wait.

• 1 month later...

Four, five weeks ago, I pretty much agreed with this thread. I now think GW is earning his paycheck. Unfortunately, I don't know if the shock of what happened to #21 had something to do with shaking him up. All I know is that we are back to the attacking style of defense that we had two years ago. It's about time.

Archived