Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GREGG WILLIAMS is SORRY! (Make your comments about Williams and the D here).

GO GO SKINS

The only 1 play that Springs got beat on, was a great play by design, with a great throw, on a great route, that was a great catch.

On virtually every throw to TO in a cover 2...Dallas' play by design didn't allow the CB to follow the receiver completely out of the zone because they ran another receiver into it from the other side. The safety was ALWAYS late in getting over. Oh, and the Romo sits to pee had more than enough time to wait for the play to develop.

Jaws showed exactly how Dallas dismantled the Bears Tampa 2...and sure enough, when we played it, they did the same thing to us.

they kept using witten as a decoy in the 2nd half to get TO by himself. he had 2 catches in the 2nd half vs 6 in the first half.

garret did a great job of adjusting. we however, did not.

How do you figure Springs only got beaten on one play... ? He was simply awful yesterday. Watch him even before the snaps. The guy was playing lazy and didn't even look like he wanted to be playing football.

In a cover 2 he's going to look lazy, relatively speaking because he trails the WR the 1st 10-15 yards, and is more concerned with watching the QB's eyes, while noticing who may approach his zone rather than simply playing 1 receiver's route.

How could he jam TO when we play 7-10 yards off the ball and you aren't permitted contact after 5? The Cover 2 worked for Tampa...we don't have enough of the fundamentals of a cover 2 in place to run it (natural pressure from 4 man rush, bumping receivers at LOS, LBs that're good/great in coverage)

Jaws outlined how Dallas exploits cover 2 Ds by showing tape of them running the same routes vs. the Bears...If you aren't prepared for two receivers in your zone (forcing you to make a decision) it's a lack of coaching. I mean Jaws has the tape, and looked like he was more aware of that than our defense was.

Springs got beaten on 1 TD...And that was moreso a good play than bad coverage by Springs. Everybody thought it was going to be an endzone fade...it was a great call.

Tanglibly, what can lead you to say that Springs was 'lazy'?

In a cover 2 he's going to look lazy, relatively speaking because he trails the WR the 1st 10-15 yards, and is more concerned with watching the QB's eyes, while noticing who may approach his zone rather than simply playing 1 receiver's route.

How could he jam TO when we play 7-10 yards off the ball and you aren't permitted contact after 5? The Cover 2 worked for Tampa...we don't have enough of the fundamentals of a cover 2 in place to run it (natural pressure from 4 man rush, bumping receivers at LOS, LBs that're good/great in coverage)

Jaws outlined how Dallas exploits cover 2 Ds by showing tape of them running the same routes vs. the Bears...If you aren't prepared for two receivers in your zone (forcing you to make a decision) it's a lack of coaching. I mean Jaws has the tape, and looked like he was more aware of that than our defense was.

Springs got beaten on 1 TD...And that was moreso a good play than bad coverage by Springs. Everybody thought it was going to be an endzone fade...it was a great call.

bingo to the max.

Once again, another coach out coached GW. He has no clue about taking out the key players when playing the opponents. Last week, everyone and their mothers knew to shut Westbrook and you win the game and now this game was T.O. and he had no answers. He needs to go....

Please explain. Please read my entire post.

Despite our injury situation, we have been in and leading at halftime in all our losses, except for the NE game. We played well enough to win, then backed off for whatever reason.

I still say the reason we lost yesterday was not going for it on 4th-and-1 with the missed FG.

Look at his body language during the plays, including the way he ran. Look at him pre-snap. Everything about him spoke of someone who looked like he'd rather be at home on a cushy chair with a beer. The guy showed zero effort.

Despite our injury situation, we have been in and leading at halftime in all our losses, except for the NE game. We played well enough to win, then backed off for whatever reason.

I still say the reason we lost yesterday was not going for it on 4th-and-1 with the missed FG.

The game is 4 quarters. The Redskins defense is fresh at the beginning and gets tired towards the end. On top of that, Gibbs is too conservative. This leads to second half chokes.

I remember Gibbs in the 80's. With the exception of 1991, I hardly remember the Redskins beating any team by double-digits in the regular season. However, in the 80's, he had an offensive line and a running game that could control the ball and chew time off the clock and rest the defense. He does not have that now and other teams are too good and smart to allow that to happen.

Getting tired isn't a matter of being a starter versus a backup. Gibbs does back off the throttle too much, too early. It bit us in '05 and has bitten us in '07. The other problem is he thinks the current O-Line outmans people like in the '80's and he can't get by with that game anymore.

It's about NFL '07 versus Gibbs V1.0, not our starters versus our backups because the backups do get the job done to a point.

Getting tired isn't a matter of being a starter versus a backup. Gibbs does back off the throttle too much, too early. It bit us in '05 and has bitten us in '07. The other problem is he thinks the current O-Line outmans people like in the '80's and he can't get by with that game anymore.

It's about NFL '07 versus Gibbs V1.0, not our starters versus our backups because the backups do get the job done to a point.

Can't put his loss on Gibbs's. How about GW and his gameplan? I don't remember defensive game planning as a part of Gibbs' repertoire.

When you have a key loss, you cover it up. Like maybe, a pass rush?!?

GW is a big reason why we lost that game. The man may be a great defensive mind, but he is just to proud and arrogant, which always ends up costing us big time. He NEVER adjusts. He doesnt even adapt his system to our player's strengths, and when he does occassionally do so, it takes him years to admit he ****ed up(4 years to finally use Taylor in the best way possible).

I just hope Snyder lets his ass go this year.

GW is a big reason why we lost that game. The man may be a great defensive mind, but he is just to proud and arrogant, which always ends up costing us big time. He NEVER adjusts. He doesnt even adapt his system to our player's strengths, and when he does occassionally do so, it takes him years to admit he ****ed up(4 years to finally use Taylor in the best way possible).

I just hope Snyder lets his ass go this year.

I wonder if he used ST similarly last year as FS, and put AA in Larons current role, if the season might not have turned out so abysmal.
What I can't figure out is what good is a cover 2 if the safeties are playing so far back they can't run up or over fast enough to participate in the game? Didn't it look like that? It was all over by the time those guys came running in from the next zip code.
Been wondering that for years now.

You cant seriously tell me that Sean Taylor is the reason our D is so bad. There are 31 NFL teams without Sean Taylor, what do THEY do?

We have our entire front 7 healthy, and at least half of our secondary. You know how many teams are missing more than 1 defensive starter? Alot. What I saw that game was yet again, Greg Williams leaving giant holes for other teams to throw through. We got torched last year doing that, and now it seems teams have finally figured it out again this year. The problem with GW is that once people catch on(and they always do), he never adjusts. Second TO touchdown was a pathetic attempt at a zone, did we fix that? Nope. Did we fix it after the 3rd? Nope. It wasnt even like we played good coverage, it wasnt even close! I just cant stand GW style of defense, and its really starting to catch up to him.

I've been one of the harshest critics of GW since he starting playing a powder-puff, sit and wait defense four weeks ago. I figured with ST injured he would go even further into a shell.

He didn't. He called more blitzes and stunts yesterday that he had in all the prevous four weeks combined. The defense looked like the Redskins D we've come to love.

There were several glaring missed coverages on Owens (how do you not cover him?) that wouldn't have happened if ST was in there. I doubt Owens would have even wanted to be thrown to. Not to be a sore loser but if ST was in the game we win by two touchdowns.

I'm sorry, Sean Taylor is a playmaker, but a defense shouldn't collapse with out him. Good defenses can overcome an injury.

:doh:

To cover a beast of a WR, you need a beast on the other side.

given the history of ST and him making TO his little b****, how many TD's did TO have yesterday?

what you said is like saying "hey lets bake some cookies from scratch, but we're missing sugar and all sugar alternatives"

that batch of cookies is missing a main ingredient, it's gonna taste like crap.

Some of you need to take your heads out of your arses...

"Point blank, Coach [Williams] made the right calls. He called the right things, we just didn't make the plays, and T.O. made 'em," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "We messed up mentally."

Exactly, I do not know what we thought we should have done with T.O. yesterday but use the players available to us with ST being injured. Springs was the best available option at corner and Doughty at safety and they were simply outmanned and rightfully exploited by Dallas.

With Taylor being out, Ed Reed and Palamaluo being busy at the time, what would the Redskins fans/Defensive Coordinators suggest that we should have done but play the players available and expect them to make plays?

i can't stand how in the article in Tuesday's Post GW makes it sound like the fault lied in the young safeties.

1. The fault lied in putting those rookies in that position!

2. The fault lied in GW's lack of adjustments after the Cowboys started sending 3 deep into the Cover 2. The flooded the zones.

Why not go man and put a safety over top? These "genious" d-coordinator's sometimes get too cute for their own good with these drawn up schemes.

Exactly, I do not know what we thought we should have done with T.O. yesterday but use the players available to us with ST being injured. Springs was the best available option at corner and Doughty at safety and they were simply outmanned and rightfully exploited by Dallas.

With Taylor being out, Ed Reed and Palamaluo being busy at the time, what would the Redskins fans/Defensive Coordinators suggest that we should have done but play the players available and expect them to make plays?

Double team TO...it isn't rocket science. Don't expect a linebacker to be able to trail him. Don't expect a safety to be able to cover him in space. Give his talent the respect it deserves. We knew what he was capable of before kickoff. You're telling me we couldn't have limited him the way Miami, Buffalo, St. Louis & NE all have this season? All because we didn't have Sean Taylor?

After 2 TDs wouldn't you reassess what you're doing? After 3 put the whole damn defense on him...4 shouldn't even be an option. The only other team that couldn't keep him out of the endzone was the Giants, who gave up 2 TDs to him twice. Lets not pretend this was another day in the office for TO. This was his career best in TDs in a game, and he tied a 37 year old team record with Bob Hayes (who NOBODY could cover). This has only happened 5 times over the last 10 years.

Maybe as fans, we're tired of hearing "if (insert injured player here) wasn't injured, we'd be dominant!" No defensive scheme should be totally dependant on everyone being healthy to work. What NFL team doesn't deal with injuries? No other profession can you reasonably give an excuse that sounds good to explain a lack of results...

I didn't necessarily agree with everything we were doing schematically in this game, but you gotta look at it like this: We held them to 28 points with our best and and most important defensive player missing. Even though we all hate the Cowboys, they have a proficient offense that is capable of putting up a lot of points. We shut them out for a lot of the game until we decided to have breakdowns in coverage and Springs got lazy.

So I wouldn't blame Williams for this loss.

Double team TO...it isn't rocket science. Don't expect a linebacker to be able to trail him. Don't expect a safety to be able to cover him in space. Give his talent the respect it deserves. We knew what he was capable of before kickoff. You're telling me we couldn't have limited him the way Miami, Buffalo, St. Louis & NE all have this season? All because we didn't have Sean Taylor?

After 2 TDs wouldn't you reassess what you're doing? After 3 put the whole damn defense on him...4 shouldn't even be an option. The only other team that couldn't keep him out of the endzone was the Giants, who gave up 2 TDs to him twice. Lets not pretend this was another day in the office for TO. This was his career best in TDs in a game, and he tied a 37 year old team record with Bob Hayes (who NOBODY could cover). This has only happened 5 times over the last 10 years.

Maybe as fans, we're tired of hearing "if (insert injured player here) wasn't injured, we'd be dominant!" No defensive scheme should be totally dependant on everyone being healthy to work. What NFL team doesn't deal with injuries? No other profession can you reasonably give an excuse that sounds good to explain a lack of results...

We did double team him ...With our defensive backfield being as depleted as it is we did exactly what we had to do with the resources that we had...if not the safeties and LB's, at times, who would you suggest that we double team him with?

Do you think that if we sent the whole team at TO that Dallas would not have adjusted to that with Whitten, Clayton or even ran us to death?...We had to play an entire POTENT offense out there not just TO.

Archived