Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lucid Dreaming: Knowing you're dreaming while you're dreaming

Ancalagon the Black

Jumbo suggested a new thread on this, and I thought, "Why not?"

Has anyone here experienced lucid dreaming? Any cool stories?

I'll start.

The first time I had a lucid dream, I was probably about 11 or 12 years old. I had a dream in which a killer was stalking me and my family, chasing me through the house.

At some point during the dream, I realized, "This is ludicrous. This isn't what my house looks like!" This was quickly followed by "I must be dreaming!"

I then did what people do in the movies to test whether I was dreaming: I pinched myself.

And it didn't hurt.

I was home safe. I could have just woken up then and there, but I realized that this was my dream and it was my brain controlling the environment. I immediately discovered that I could fly and shoot lightning from my fingers. I quickly put these powers to work in destroying the killer in the dream.

Ever since then, I've had at least four or five lucid dreams per month--dreams in which I realize I'm dreaming and can control the dream entirely. A lot of the time I'll just wake up, but I can by concentrating prevent myself from awakening, even if I can half-sense myself in bed.

Anyone else?

I'm not sure how it happened the first time, but I now use the pinch test a LOT. Like sometimes I'll just get a feeling that something isn't right, and I'll pinch myself and have it not hurt.

(Of course, things are really in the crapper when it does hurt!)

I've heard that there are specific techniques you can use. I'll look around.

i usually don't dream when i sleep, well i wouldn't say usually don't, but i don't dream on a regular basis. that being said, i have had a couple, but i don't really remember what they were about (i guess i didn't do a good job of taking advantage of the lucidity of my dream.)

Happens to me all the time. Most of the time (though not all) I realize its a dream because I am driving and something just seems off. I start thinking its a dream and the first thing I do is hit something - when nothing terrible happens I go demolition derby style. :)

I have had other dreams where I realize its a dream - I usually just have as much fun as I can. Though, occasionally it will be during a nightmare and that is when I force myself to wake up. ***** thing is I also get sleep paralysis and sometimes the two phenomenons happend together. Even though I know its a dream, I can't help but be scared ****less.

http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream

i feel like establishing the reality checks would be really helpful. im never patient enough to keep it up, but i think im gonna work at it this spring. i cant lucid dream consistently, but its happened to me twice. The first time, half of my house burned down, so i told my dad, and he told me, "theres no way that happened. you must be dreaming." i dont remember what happened after that- i think i woke up.

the second time, i had woken up at around 5, found out we had a snow day that day, and went back to sleep. i had a dream that i was in class, but i realized "wait- we have a snow day today" and was aware. so i vaporized the ceiling and started to fly. it was weird, though, even though i knew i was dreaming, flying was a hard skill to master. i wasnt very agile; i can only describe it as feeling like i was walking on a sheet of ice, but in the air. thats about how much control i had. anyway, i flew around for a while, bounced into a wall in the sky, and woke up. it was really cool though.

I read an article on this years ago, and it's supposedly something that you can learn to do with practice. You can imagine all kinds of great uses for this skill, Captain Pike.

I sometimes have dreams where I know that I'm dreaming - it only seems to happen when I'm scared out of my wits - and I decide to wake up. Maybe next time I'll decide to use my superhuman powers instead. :cheers:

I've had that happen, Ancal ... but frustratingly, while I can remember the process of becoming aware I was dreaming, and can often remember the dream itself for a while after I fully wake, they usually fade away in a matter of hours, until I can't remember the dreams themselves any more--just that I had them.

Except one. A flying dream.

I've had a few of those, and can remember bits and pieces of some of them ... but there was one in particular I had probably 15 years ago that was kind of a life-changing experience. It was so real, and I was so aware and in control of what was happening, that I can relive it to this day almost as viscerally as when it happened.

It was on a fairly deserted beach, with one or two other people I knew but can't really place. In my mind's eye it's a mid-Atlantic type beach ... rolling dunes and scrub grass easing down to a wide, flat beach and only an average swell. Maybe 3-5 foot breakers.

At some point I'm simply airborne. I don't recall "making" myself do it ... just suddenly becoming aware that I was. I was maybe 20 feet above the sand ... just kind of hovering, enjoying the sensation ... and at some point realized I was dreaming. And in my dream I KNEW I was dreaming ... and I had the choice of waking up or ... well, flying.

And somehow I knew how. Never really been able to explain it--it was just something I knew how to do ... and did.

I could dip down over the water ... rise back up over the sand ... rise up to what felt like at least a couple hundred feet ... swoop, soar ... anything. It was effortless. Like swimming, but without having to move. I just ... flew.

It's impossible to judge time in dreams, at least for me, so I have no idea how long it lasted, but I want to say it felt like ... I don't know, 15 minutes? Less? More? It was actually kind of timeless. Not just then, but ever since.

It doesn't happen all that often, but over the years there have been times I "feel" flying like that again ... and it's like all I'd really have to do is tap into whatever part of me was able to do it the first time, and do it again. While awake, I'm talking about.

Sounds silly now, but more than once in the years since I've forced myself to back away from a ledge (the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, once) because as I looked out over open space I could suddenly "feel" what it would be like to simply lift off and soar into space. Happily, I seem to be able to separate the dream-state "feel" of flying and the actual act of trying it while awake.

Never told anyone that before. :paranoid:

Today it's a little treasure I take out and play with from time to time when I'm lying in bed at night ... and I'm able to almost get the feeling again. Almost.

I've had other flying dreams since, maybe triggered by whatever part of my brain let me fly that one time echoing ... but I've never "felt" one as deeply again, or been able to remember with such vivid clarity not only all the visual details, but right down to how I moved the muscles in my body to make it happen, and how it "felt" in my head to send the commands.

Amazing thing.

Thanks for this ... I'd not visited that place in a while.

I've had those dreams before and they are awesome.

But I hate in dreams when you are running from a killer or something and everyone is like COME ONE, catch up to us!

And you try, but you're slow as hell! It sucks b/c the killer always catches up to you and your friends are gone. lol

I've had probably 10-15 lucid dreams over my lifetime, and I always find them fascinating and exciting. It's like being in a movie that you're directing at the same time.

I've had the traditional "flying" dreams, been able to do some fun stuff in a couple of would-be nightmares, and even downloaded my sister-in-law off the hard drive once or twice. :D:silly:

I think someone needs to direct Tastes Like Chicken to this thread

:)

Somehow, some way. I must make this dream... a lucid dream.

:laugh:

When I have these lucid dreams, usually something tragically awful has occurred in my life (in the dream world). Lost my job, major illness to a loved one, all money stolen, car totaled, etc Then, something clues me in that this can't possibly be real, then I realize it's only a dream. Then when I wake up, I'm still alarmed and shaken up, and have to realize all over again that it's just a dream.

Sadly, most of my dreams are pathetically boring. I'm at the grocery store looking for beer (where I live grocery stores don't sell beer), I'm at FedEx Field and can't find my ticket, I'm at work and I have on blue shoes. Crap like that. :rolleyes:

I have had a bunch of them in my life, although unfortunately none in the past year or so. I often realize I am dreaming by concentrating in my dream and levitating myself. If I can do that repetitively I usually kind of "think" to myself that I am dreaming and proceed to mess with people by showing them "how I can fly"

Similar circumstances occur regarding moving things with my mind. Sometimes I am not consicous that it is a dream and I think I can actually do it, but often I am fully aware that these powers are just dream power and that is when I like to have fun with it.

One thing I used to do during particularly powerful lucid dreams in which I could actually move around and manipulate a dream evironment (never having full control of environment or surroundings though) Is try to find friends and family and communicate with them.

i had a lucid dream where i was drowning for some reason or another, after holding my breath for so long under water, eventually my body took over and forced me to fill my lungs. much to my surprise i could actually breath the water. it was at that point i realized i was dream and began to have fun with it.

in another lucid dream i had telekinesis or the force or something. it started off with crushing cans between my fingers without actually closing my fist around it and moved on to bigger stuff. that was a fun one, too.

I can actually wake up, have a couple words with my girlfriend, and fall back asleep continuing a dream. When I was a kid, I'd be incredibly pissed I couldn't continue my fantasies...ahem...dreams. But now I can actually regroup my situation in the dream as I wake up, adjust my mindset, and come out victorious/not dead.

Archived