Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs on the radio...

Larry Gude

See, if there was just us on the field, fine. But people tend to forget that the other team is also out there, and they MIGHT just make a play. They are allowed to try to stop us, and quite a few of them have been able to do it, especially when the field gets shorter.

You ever watch a James Bond movie? The bad guy catches Bond, ties him up and then proceeds to tell him his elaborate plan of how he's going to run it five or six more times to try to get a touchdown.

Meanwhile, Bond is using his handy dandy toys to free himself and blow up the whole place.

Now, when the bad guy catches him, wouldn't it save a lot of trouble to just shoot him in the head before he regains consciousness?

of course it would.

But the bad guys never learn, do they?

~Bang

OK. That was funny! :laugh: :cheers:

you probably have the same amount of chance to have a mishap on each play, FG or going for it

tell me, which is risker

1 Play

or maybe 5 or 6 plays?

and it has NOTHING to do with showing confidence BS at that point in the game... the point of playing the game is to WIN it

nothing builds confidence like wins

It is not ONE play. It is a 46 yard FG kick....How can you even say kicking the FG 46 yards has a better success rate than running 5 to 6 rushes without a turnover or penalty. As you move in closer, then the chance of making that FG grows greater, it is then you kick the FG.

I think a lot of teams would go for the win in that same situation, on 4th and inches in OT. Especially if they have enough confidence in their kicker making it, and Suisham was on all day Sunday. I see where you're coming from in one sense, but in another, you end the game when you have the opportunity in Sudden Death, because otherwise you may not get the opportunity again. And if Gibbs went for it, and we got stonewalled, the Jets get the ball back and score, Gibbs gets on the radio and says that he felt like the team could get the ball closer for a closer kick for Suisham you'd probably be saying that Gibbs doesn't have confidence in the kicker.

Usually the team who gets the ball first wins, but we were able to stop them, rather they were able to stop themselves. I think taking a shot at winning was the right move to make.

:cheers:

It is one thing to play conservatively and try not to make mistakes, control the clock and so forth. It is another to say my team has a better chance of a 49 yard field goal than moving the ball inches.

As coach, certainly he knows his team and it worked. I thoroughly enjoyed him talking about it but at the same time it's depressing to think that is where we are.

Sad state this team is in when the coach likes his chance of making a 49 yarder better, totally agree.

Sad state this team is in when the coach likes his chance of making a 49 yarder better, totally agree.

we are talking about OT here and it was a 46 yarder, and his kicker has hit on every kick

remember the point is to WIN the game, and in OT a FG, a Safety, a TD all are the same

Style points don't mean anything in the NFL, just wins

Well, again, it was fantastic for him to go into detail. I admire him greatly for it because that kind of glimpse behind the iron curtain is what makes me a bigger fan. It's so much more fun, as a fan, to have a coach who will lay it out there in some detail rather than to say yet one more patronizing thing about it.

I remember Mark Mosely making 50+ yarders to win OT games back when we were winning Super Bowls.. were we scared then?

People lament that we have no killer instinct, and when he have a shot and take it with the express purpose of killing the opponent, somehow it's a weakness.

Seems bass ackwards to me.

~Bang

what he said yesterday was pointless because immediately after the game he made it clear that there really was no thought process that took place. he said "we had a chance to win the game right there and i took it."

it was the right call. stop complaining and get off our bandwagon for life.

I personally think that it shows a lack of confidence in the team. He did the same thing against Miami. I would have keep pushing and tried to get the touchdown. It would have given the team confidence going into the next game...

But that's just my opinion. What do I know.

Not much...cause you basically told your kicker and kicking team that I don't trust you to get it done. Gibbs was smart in that he wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. We probably shoulda lost that game. But we didn't. So you take the money and run as fast as you can.

Christ almighty!!! No one could please the negative nellies around here!! I wish we had a pacifier for an emote. Cause people like you are the biggest cry babies I've seen in my life.

It is not ONE play. It is a 46 yard FG kick....How can you even say kicking the FG 46 yards has a better success rate than running 5 to 6 rushes without a turnover or penalty. As you move in closer, then the chance of making that FG grows greater, it is then you kick the FG.

Suisham is kicking 70% from that range. The Redskins are 3/7 on fourth down.

remember the point is to WIN the game, and in OT a FG, a Safety, a TD all are the same

Absolutely. And that's the whole debate; the coach shared his thoughts and it's fun and it is interesting to be able to, as a fan, get into that.

I'm just saying that the things he mentioned against going for it, a penalty, a fumble, not making it, are the same things that could happen kicking it. Those things should be equal in terms of weighing it.

So, then a kick from 46 yards, at Giants Stadium (which someone pointed out), seems, to me, not as good a bet as getting a few more inches after getting 300 all day. In my mind, 40 or less is near auto. Over 40, not so much.

Anyone got stats on NFL kickers over 40 yards, % wise? By stadium would be interesting, too.

swisha, how do you know the team will make the 4th down for sure?

I don't. I already said that decision was the right decision, because I felt that our FG kicker was on fire and our running game was unstoppable, so I thought the success rate of the two for that moment during that game was almost equal.

Not much...cause you basically told your kicker and kicking team that I don't trust you to get it done. Gibbs was smart in that he wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. We probably shoulda lost that game. But we didn't. So you take the money and run as fast as you can.

Christ almighty!!! No one could please the negative nellies around here!! I wish we had a pacifier for an emote. Cause people like you are the biggest cry babies I've seen in my life.

thomas, not to pick on you but it made me laugh reading your sig compared to your support for the kick over all the fears of going for it.

:laugh:

:cheers:

It will never end on this board

Never.

We won the game.

From 40-50 yds NFL kickers are above 90%. Morten Anderson at 45 years old strokes 47 yd field goals.

90% success rate. Maybe the Patriots can run 5-6 plays with a 90% success rate. We cant. We have career NFL backups making up the right side of our offensive line.

I just cant believe how fickle redskins fans are. Or at least on this board. Its like sitting around a cribbage table with a bunch of old ladies. Dont you all ever get tired of second guessing every move?

At what point do you realize that Gibbs has done this his WHOLE life. Gibbs has more football knowledge in his little finger than the thousands of madden warriors who second guess him day after day after day on this board. Even after wins. Even after being 5-3. Even after being in the middle of the playoff hunt.

Here is a grand and great idea. How about cheer for your team? How about enjoy their wins despite a makeshift O Line and 15 game starter at QB. How about enjoy the fact that our defense is NOT last in the league? How about getting behind them for once in a trying time.....like wearing a Redskin hat the day after the Patriots game, or going out and buying flags for your truck the day after the Pats game.

When times are tough, thats when the players and coaches need our support. Not the constant CONSTANT river of pessimism, I told you so's, this is how I would do it's.

Fourth and inches, and the way we were running that game?

For the record, I thought we were going to go for it.

I was suprised to see Suisham come out, but not dissappointed. I honestly could see us making either decision. We won so it doesn't matter if my idea would have worked or not. Gibbs' did. That's all that matters.

However, I also use that logic (that we were running all over them) to explain why we didn't bother passing more that day. I've heard plenty of people complain that Gibbs didn't pass more, didn't unleash Campbell and our poor underused WRs. My thought there is, why? We were running ALL over them in the second half. Why go away from what was working?

We run too much, so Gibbs is coaching scared.

Well, except when he doesn't run it in overtime. Then he's coaching scared.

I dunno, seems like the man can't do anything right these days.

It will never end on this board

Never.

We won the game.

From 40-50 yds NFL kickers are above 90%. Morten Anderson at 45 years old strokes 47 yd field goals.

90% success rate. Maybe the Patriots can run 5-6 plays with a 90% success rate. We cant. We have career NFL backups making up the right side of our offensive line.

I just cant believe how fickle redskins fans are. Or at least on this board. Its like sitting around a cribbage table with a bunch of old ladies. Dont you all ever get tired of second guessing every move?

At what point do you realize that Gibbs has done this his WHOLE life. Gibbs has more football knowledge in his little finger than the thousands of madden warriors who second guess him day after day after day on this board. Even after wins. Even after being 5-3. Even after being in the middle of the playoff hunt.

Here is a grand and great idea. How about cheer for your team? How about enjoy their wins despite a makeshift O Line and 15 game starter at QB. How about enjoy the fact that our defense is NOT last in the league? How about getting behind them for once in a trying time.....like wearing a Redskin hat the day after the Patriots game, or going out and buying flags for your truck the day after the Pats game.

When times are tough, thats when the players and coaches need our support. Not the constant CONSTANT river of pessimism, I told you so's, this is how I would do it's.

...you rooted for the Puritans when they burned the witches, didn't you?

:laugh:

See, if there was just us on the field, fine. But people tend to forget that the other team is also out there, and they MIGHT just make a play. They are allowed to try to stop us, and quite a few of them have been able to do it, especially when the field gets shorter.

I don't think it's playing scared. I think it's crushing the life out of the opponent when your boot is on his neck.

You ever watch a James Bond movie? The bad guy catches Bond, ties him up and then proceeds to tell him his elaborate plan of how he's going to run it five or six more times to try to get a touchdown.

Meanwhile, Bond is using his handy dandy toys to free himself and blow up the whole place.

Now, when the bad guy catches him, wouldn't it save a lot of trouble to just shoot him in the head before he regains consciousness?

of course it would.

But the bad guys never learn, do they?

~Bang

LOL great analogy. Took a fool like Scott (Austin Powers) to figure that out.

Archived