Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs on the radio...

Larry Gude

It is not ONE play. It is a 46 yard FG kick....How can you even say kicking the FG 46 yards has a better success rate than running 5 to 6 rushes without a turnover or penalty. As you move in closer, then the chance of making that FG grows greater, it is then you kick the FG.

the mere fact you would have to run more plays, the more opportunities you have of something going wrong

that is just common sense

for a FG the difference between 35 and 46 yards isn't that much, especially when that same kicker has already hit a 46 yarder, no wind, and 4-4 already

and lining up for a fg, there fewer penalties you can have, since you don't go in motion, no risk of int, no one hitting the ball making a tackle the percentage of blocked kick is low

It will never end on this board

Never.

We won the game.

From 40-50 yds NFL kickers are above 90%. Morten Anderson at 45 years old strokes 47 yd field goals.

90% success rate. Maybe the Patriots can run 5-6 plays with a 90% success rate. We cant. We have career NFL backups making up the right side of our offensive line.

Link? Otherwise I call bull****. Few kickers are 90% OVERALL on field goals, so they sure as hell aren't 90% from long range.

I personally think that it shows a lack of confidence in the team. He did the same thing against Miami. I would have keep pushing and tried to get the touchdown. It would have given the team confidence going into the next game...

But that's just my opinion. What do I know.

you obviously know nothing!!

we won the game... knowing this team... we would have been stopped and lost the game anyway...

Take the points....... this isn't madden you fool

thomas, not to pick on you but it made me laugh reading your sig compared to your support for the kick over all the fears of going for it.

:laugh:

:cheers:

Actually, the courageous choice was to kick it. Coulda been blocked, refs could picked that moment to call holding (since there's usually a hold on every play), the wind there is crazy, Swishy is still a kid in NFL years, etc. Gibbs said I'm going for the win now. That was the right call.

Actually, the courageous choice was to kick it. Coulda been blocked, refs could picked that moment to call holding (since there's usually a hold on every play), the wind there is crazy, Swishy is still a kid in NFL years, etc. Gibbs said I'm going for the win now. That was the right call.

That's a good take, too.

laxpak said it all.... I too am sick of this whinning babies second guessing every aspect of the game trying to make an issue out of nothing and then turn round and get upset when people don't agree with thier whinny ass oppinion..and cry "no one wants to listen to critisim of the team...your all bullies ...wah wah wah "

I will give you a clue ..we the Redskins won the game in a way I think 99.9% of the teams in the NFL would do with a semi reliable kicker ...you hear that we won ...it wasn't pretty and there is plenty of things to discuss other than in your oppion Coach Gibbs has faith in his team or not or the "killer instinct" ...and no it is fair rational critisim of the team but it is simply YOUR oppion and thats fine and all but I think you should know your alone on that ...and its getting dark ...and there are wolves about...

laxpak said it all.... I too am sick of this whinning babies second guessing every aspect of the game trying to make an issue out of nothing and then turn round and get upset when people don't agree with thier whinny ass oppinion..and cry "no one wants to listen to critisim of the team...your all bullies ...wah wah wah "

I will give you a clue ..we the Redskins won the game in a way I think 99.9% of the teams in the NFL would do with a semi reliable kicker ...you hear that we won ...it wasn't pretty and there is plenty of things to discuss other than in your oppion Coach Gibbs has faith in his team or not or the "killer instinct" ...and no it is fair rational critisim of the team but it is simply YOUR oppion and thats fine and all but I think you should know your alone on that ...and its getting dark ...and there are wolves about...

Boo! :laugh: :cheers:

Current stats on kickers. Funny we have the 3rd best kicker in the league from 40-49 yds.

DAMN yOU GIBBS FOR BELIEVING IN HIM TO CONTINUE BEING ONE OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE.

Do we have the 3rd best Offensive line?

Do we have the 3rd best Offense?

Do we have the 3rd best QB or RB or anything?

Did we win?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortableStats?div=NFL&stable=kicking&stat=kick4049&dir=descending

(sure are a lot of kickers over 90%)

the mere fact you would have to run more plays, the more opportunities you have of something going wrong

that is just common sense

for a FG the difference between 35 and 46 yards isn't that much, especially when that same kicker has already hit a 46 yarder, no wind, and 4-4 already

and lining up for a fg, there fewer penalties you can have, since you don't go in motion, no risk of int, no one hitting the ball making a tackle the percentage of blocked kick is low

Bubba, are you even reading my posts? I said it was the right decision because our kicker was on fire. But I didn't like Gibbs' train of thought.

Secondly, you are right, running more plays = more chance of making mistakes. But I asked you, is that chance greater than making a a 46 yard FG.

Stop making me have to repeat myself.

And did you say there is not much different from 35 and 46?:doh:

Current stats on kickers. Funny we have the 3rd best kicker in the league from 40-49 yds.

DAMN yOU GIBBS FOR BELIEVING IN HIM TO CONTINUE BEING ONE OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE.

Did we win?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortableStats?div=NFL&stable=kicking&stat=kick4049&dir=descending

Do you know how to do math? The top three kickers' percetange from 40 - 49 = 75%

* and he's not top three from 40 to 49. He is tied with two others for most made.

Do you know how to do math? The top three kickers' percetange from 40 - 49 = 75%

* and he's not top three from 40 to 49. He is tied with two others for most made.

I am sorry I overstated the FG percentages for NFL kickers at 90% when the average is around 75%. (72.49 %)

I do know how to do math. I promise. I just got excited we have one of the top kickers in the game. I got excited cause Joe Gibbs believes in him.

Did we win?

Um, no there aren't. Only six kickers of the 32 listed are over 90% from 40-49 yards. Frankly, I'm surprised by the high percentage of success from 40-49 yards overall. I thought it would be lower.

If you had come with facts instead of hyperbole, your argument would have been stronger.

This year it is ~72% for all kickers from 40-49 (110/154).

This year the fourth down percentage for all teams is 54% (117/217).

Good info. I'd like to see a breakdown of 40-45 yards vs. 46 to 50 yards, because that seems to be a point where a drop-off in accuracy occurs.

Also, I'd like to see a percentage on 4th and 1 success rather than overall 4th down success.

Still, thanks for the numbers. BTW, can you post the source?

Um, no there aren't. Only six kickers of the 32 listed are over 90% from 40-49 yards. Frankly, I'm surprised by the high percentage of success from 40-49 yards overall. I thought it would be lower.

If you had come with facts instead of hyperbole, your argument would have been stronger.

I am sorry to throw a sweeping generalization out there by inflating things by 18%.

The point is just as valid, however. We have a great kicker. We have a great coach who believes in our great kicker. We have a bunch of whiny ****es on this site who dont believe in our great coach.

Thats my hyperbole and I am sticking to it.

Good info. I'd like to see a breakdown of 40-45 yards vs. 46 to 50 yards, because that seems to be a point where a drop-off in accuracy occurs.

Also, I'd like to see a percentage on 4th and 1 success rather than overall 4th down success.

Just nfl.com, went to their stats page, copied the tables into excel and used that to find out the #'s. I don't know if they list the two stats you're asking for but I'll look.

FG stats:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=FIELD_GOALS&season=2007&seasonType=REG

4th Down Stats

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=&seasonType=REG

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/sortab...&dir=descending

you just got to do the legwork on the math yourself. Sorry i neglected to take the time before I posted originally Dan T.

I am sorry to throw a sweeping generalization out there by inflating things by 18%.

The point is just as valid, however. We have a great kicker. We have a great coach who believes in our great kicker. We have a bunch of whiny ****es on this site who dont believe in our great coach.

Thats my hyperbole and I am sticking to it.

Frankly, I agree with Gibbs' decision. But I don't consider those who disagree with it and want to discuss it to be whiny ****es.

Archived