Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Southern California is Burning

Fergasun

Whether cavalierman's post was insensitively worded or not is one thing ... reacting to it with personal obscenities is another. If anything, his timing is objectionable given people are in harm's way ... but his overall point is not new or particularly surprising.

Hell, Sam Kennison went down that road years ago with his tirade about starving Africans living on the fringes of the Sahara. "We've got deserts too, but we dont LIVE IN THEM! AAAAAAAHHH!!!"

Point is, insensitive or not it's a legitimate thought. You might hate it, but it's a legitimate thought. Everyone here knows the rules. Stick with them. If you want to take someone to task for what you feel is an insensitive or inflammatory post, find a way to do it without immediately resorting to calling them playground names. It's actually a WHOLE lot more effective than simply saying "**** you."

It can be done. Really.

BigMike,

No, I'm up in Ventura County, but I know a few other people in San Diego who have been evacuated... it was such a large area that was evacuated there. Hope your home/business is okay... last night they were reporting 500 homes and 100 businesses burned, I'm sure some people saw their houses go up in flames on TV.

And actually the areas getting burned aren't designated deserts. If they were deserts no one would be living there ie. "high desert" or "low desert" areas. It doesn't seem intuitive but some of the areas burning on 20-30 miles from the coast. Trees that are burning like this don't burn out in a desert... our in the desert there are cactus'. The reason the fires are burning like this is because it's not the desert regions... and trees can actually grow.. and then when the area goes through a drought of like 2 days of ran in the past 2 years... good fuel for the fires.

Lake Arrowhead is not the desert. San Diego is not the desert. Irvine is not the desert.

Whether cavalierman's post was insensitively worded or not is one thing ... reacting to it with personal obscenities is another. If anything, his timing is objectionable given people are in harm's way ... but his overall point is not new or particularly surprising.

Hell, Sam Kennison went down that road years ago with his tirade about starving Africans living on the fringes of the Sahara. "We've got deserts too, but we dont LIVE IN THEM! AAAAAAAHHH!!!"

Point is, insensitive or not it's a legitimate thought. You might hate it, but it's a legitimate thought. Everyone here knows the rules. Stick with them. If you want to take someone to task for what you feel is an insensitive or inflammatory post, find a way to do it without immediately resorting to calling them playground names. It's actually a WHOLE lot more effective than simply saying "**** you."

It can be done. Really.

Ummm... isn't that what I did? I agree with you, but... at least in BigMike's circumstance, this is happening to him in real life, right now. I think his emotions are probably running a little high and he basically just had someone say 'You're going to lose your home and possibly your life? Too bad, shouldn't have lived there.'

Not that I want to defend BigMike... :doh:

rince,

That wasn't so much directed at you as simply putting what you said in context.

As to BigMike, as I've tried to explain to him in several subsequent emails, it's not just a matter of having sympathy for the situation he's in---I do, and have expressed ti to him. But there's a history there, for one thing, as well as the more salient point that there is and always will be a clear distinction between taking rightful offense to something and going straight for the name-calling to express it.

The board is full of insensitive posts like cavalierman's every day. Someone is ALWAYS going to take exception to it. And they're pretty much always going to have to deal with the consequences if they choose to do so in clear violation of the long-established rules here--particularly if they have a pattern of doing so already.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Slept on and off last night with the news on. We're closest to the fire in Fallbrook...Fallbrook is about 20 miles northeast of us. The winds last night were blowing southwest, so I was concerned. Right now it sounds like that fire is blowing east, but that could change any minute. The winds out there are crazy. The good thing about Oceanside is that it's not windy at all right now. The sky is grey and smells of smoke, much different from yesterday when it was clear and sunny. It just looks like a rainy day...but we could only wish it were rain.

The Witch fire is southeast of us and portions of Carlsbad (the next city over from Oceanside) are being evacuated. It's just a crazy experience.... most of the people out here are used to it because wildfires happen all the time out here...but for me it's just insane. I keep thinking...can't they bring out MORE helicopters and airplanes and bring in MORE firefighters from other states? I'm not known for being a realist, though, so I really don't know anything about it. I've never been in a situation like this...I've been through blizzards and hurricanes and tornadoes when I lived in Virginia and an earthquake when I lived in Thailand, but this is by far the worst disaster I've ever experienced. While not many lives are being lost, the damage is immeasurable.

For that guy that everyone got pissed at because he was talking about how stupid people are to live in places like California, etc. I admit, I used to think that about New Orleans and Florida. Why would someone live somewhere where there are GUARANTEED natural disasters every year, guaranteed floods, hurricanes, etc. While I still question living in certain areas, I never really thought about all that when I moved out here. I knew there were earthquakes... and I knew there were fires, I guess. I never really paid attention. I guess I've learned that despite these disasters, it's really a beautiful place to live. Like others said, there are natural disasters EVERYWHERE. Yeah, I wouldn't go live in New Orleans or Florida or Tornado Valley or upstate New York...but those people living there can say the same thing about me living in California. We don't have tornadoes out here, how could you live in Virginia when there are so many tornadoes?! I mean, come on. Natural disasters are everywhere.

It's been a really scary past two days, and who knows how long this will last. Some of the hugest fires are 0% contained after fighting them for 2 days. It's scary. To those who were already evacuated and to those who are waiting, like me, best wishes for you and your homes.

Slept on and off last night with the news on. We're closest to the fire in Fallbrook...Fallbrook is about 20 miles northeast of us. The winds last night were blowing southwest, so I was concerned. Right now it sounds like that fire is blowing east, but that could change any minute. The winds out there are crazy. The good thing about Oceanside is that it's not windy at all right now. The sky is grey and smells of smoke, much different from yesterday when it was clear and sunny. It just looks like a rainy day...but we could only wish it were rain.

The Witch fire is southeast of us and portions of Carlsbad (the next city over from Oceanside) are being evacuated. It's just a crazy experience.... most of the people out here are used to it because wildfires happen all the time out here...but for me it's just insane. I keep thinking...can't they bring out MORE helicopters and airplanes and bring in MORE firefighters from other states? I'm not known for being a realist, though, so I really don't know anything about it. I've never been in a situation like this...I've been through blizzards and hurricanes and tornadoes when I lived in Virginia and an earthquake when I lived in Thailand, but this is by far the worst disaster I've ever experienced. While not many lives are being lost, the damage is immeasurable.

For that guy that everyone got pissed at because he was talking about how stupid people are to live in places like California, etc. I admit, I used to think that about New Orleans and Florida. Why would someone live somewhere where there are GUARANTEED natural disasters every year, guaranteed floods, hurricanes, etc. While I still question living in certain areas, I never really thought about all that when I moved out here. I knew there were earthquakes... and I knew there were fires, I guess. I never really paid attention. I guess I've learned that despite these disasters, it's really a beautiful place to live. Like others said, there are natural disasters EVERYWHERE. Yeah, I wouldn't go live in New Orleans or Florida or Tornado Valley or upstate New York...but those people living there can say the same thing about me living in California. We don't have tornadoes out here, how could you live in Virginia when there are so many tornadoes?! I mean, come on. Natural disasters are everywhere.

It's been a really scary past two days, and who knows how long this will last. Some of the hugest fires are 0% contained after fighting them for 2 days. It's scary. To those who were already evacuated and to those who are waiting, like me, best wishes for you and your homes.

Robin, thoughts and prayers are with you, godspeed friend, godspeed.

I thought I read somewhere that the Chinese launch rockets with silver nitrate into the atmosphere to prompt a rain shower?

I think that only works in seeding rain clouds.

You can basically get a rain cloud to open up at a desired location(if the cloud moves that way of course).

You can't seed atmosphere with low moisture, at least I don't think.

I thought I read somewhere that the Chinese launch rockets with silver nitrate into the atmosphere to prompt a rain shower?

I think that only works in seeding rain clouds.

You can basically get a rain cloud to open up at a desired location(if the cloud moves that way of course).

You can't seed atmosphere with low moisture, at least I don't think.

Archived