Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Landry lived up to your expectations?

Touchdown Redskins

I havent heard anyone say, "Oh my God, what a mistake by the Rookie safety from LSU!"

On a side note, did anyone notice how he pushed Carlos Rogers after Rogers made that horrible tackle attempt? It was like he was saying "Carlos, get the **** out of here with that weak excuse for Tackling!"

I think he's absolutely lived up to my expectations...he's actually surpassed my hopes thus far. He's a rookie and he hold his own in most games. He's not afraid to get in on the play...he's flying all over the field most of the time. I like his energy and his willingness to do what needs to be done. So my answer is YES!:) :point2sky

I didn't feel as if Landry was worthy of a top ten pick(and neither did almost anyone else until his combine) and so far he has been ok. The guy has missed a lot of tackles and overall just doesnt seem to have the presence on the field ST had as a rookie. Yes, I know he started before ST did his rookie year but you automatically knew ST was something special. He didn't need ridiculous combine numbers to jump in the top ten while with Landry he did.

I havent heard anyone say, "Oh my God, what a mistake by the Rookie safety from LSU!"

On a side note, did anyone notice how he pushed Carlos Rogers after Rogers made that horrible tackle attempt? It was like he was saying "Carlos, get the **** out of here with that weak excuse for Tackling!"

:laugh: I saw that and thought...good for Landry...show him how it's done young man!:applause:

He's been very solid so far. Our secondary is a complete unit with him on it. #1 defense in the NFC, nuff said.

Right, we could not use a stud RB for an offense that is averaging about 13 points a game. Do not give me Portis as a stud either, he was in Denver, not here, EVER! It would have been nice to see Peterson in round one, since we never take a DE!

I didn't have any real expectations for Landry so there aren't any to live up too. I expected to see him play, but wasn't sure how much, knowing how Coach Williams likes to bring his guys around slowly. I can say, I am pleasantly surprised by how fast he ended up starting on the defense and his impact on the field. I had hoped he would do well as a #1 pick, but he's played beyond that so far. And he's getting better.

I don't think that a lot of people understand the point of defensive backs. If you don't hear their names, then they are doing their jobs.

We were the worst defense in the league last year. We're top-three right now. Sean Taylor isn't covering for the other non-existent safety. He's definitely earning his draft pick.

I didn't have any real expectations for Landry so there aren't any to live up too. I expected to see him play, but wasn't sure how much, knowing how Coach Williams likes to bring his guys around slowly. I can say, I am pleasantly surprised by how fast he ended up starting on the defense and his impact on the field. I had hoped he would do well as a #1 pick, but he's played beyond that so far. And he's getting better.

There needs to be a smiley that has a guy ringing a bell.

DING DING DING! :cheers:

This question is in light of the fact that ESPN was showing a highlight reel of Adrian Peterson. They called him the second best RB in all of the NFL, and moreover, they questioned all six teams picking before the Vikings in the draft for not taking him. Now, I'm not saying the idiots at ESPN are right. After all, each team has different needs, and who's to say that LL doesn't become the most dominant safety in the league at some point, or that Calvin Johnson doesn't become the best WR in the league? In any case, it got me to wondering, has LL lived up to your expectations?

For me, I think I have not heard his name as much as I heard ST's name during his rookie season. There are so many playmakers on this defense, that he LL could have a great game for a rookie and still get lost in the mix. I do think that he upgrades us at the SS position, and that he will be a rock there for years to come, and with that in mind, he has filled some of my expectations but not all of them. That being said, he's only played five games. Thoughts?

I don't mind not hearing Laron Landry's name called because I'm hearing Sean Taylor's much more this season... Must be because having Landry is allowing Taylor to play his position...

I was one of those who called for the Skins to trade Portis and Draft APetersen. That being said LLandry was a decent if not spectacular pick. At # 6 yoiu really want spectacular. This event should prove to those who still have doubts ... that at the top of the Draft ... you take the "best player available" regardless of need.

Landry has exceeded my expectations. Like many fans, I wanted to draft D-line and I was a little surprised at the pick (though he was BPA at the time). But Landry has surely become a cog, even as a rookie, of the team's defense and has allowed Taylor to so far have an excellent year.

We have seen RB's have good games and then fade away to oblivion, or have a shortened career due to heavy pounding. Like any position, RB is a crapshot, plus, we didn't need to draft a RB at that time, anyway. Sure, the media is in love with Peterson's performance, but I think it is a bit too early to start questioning teams who didn't draft him, especially if they didn't need a player at that position.

Agree....to be able to come in and play at that level as a rookie, is impressive.

Well lets put it this way. Laron Landry must be doing SOMETHING RIGHT, that allows Sean Taylor to be playing deep in the zone, and not have to worry about playing the run. Lets not forget, the last couple of seasons Greg Williams has not been able to use Sean Taylor the way he wanted to.....with Laron in there at SS, he is allowing Sean Taylor to become an absolute beast.

I at first thought about this, a few weeks ago. When you think about it though, the safeties aren't being forced to play the run as much this year. Our LB crew is solid, so not as many rushers are getting that far. People aren't testing us deep much.. and we're not doing safety blitzes either. Given all of that, you also haven't heard of Landry getting beat really. So yes, he has met my expectations quite well.

He is a safety, plain and simple.......safeties in the old days would never be drafted so high.

But we invested so much in portis and in receivers...what do you do?

Safety has evolved and is evolving into something different than the old day. Pass happy offenses and blitzing defenses are big these days and teams are relying upon safeties to do more as a result these days. And teams have drafted accordingly. Several of the top safeties in the league right now,(especially those drafted in the past several years), were 1st and 2nd round picks.

Archived