Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Landry lived up to your expectations?

Touchdown Redskins

This question is in light of the fact that ESPN was showing a highlight reel of Adrian Peterson. They called him the second best RB in all of the NFL, and moreover, they questioned all six teams picking before the Vikings in the draft for not taking him. Now, I'm not saying the idiots at ESPN are right. After all, each team has different needs, and who's to say that LL doesn't become the most dominant safety in the league at some point, or that Calvin Johnson doesn't become the best WR in the league? In any case, it got me to wondering, has LL lived up to your expectations?

For me, I think I have not heard his name as much as I heard ST's name during his rookie season. There are so many playmakers on this defense, that he LL could have a great game for a rookie and still get lost in the mix. I do think that he upgrades us at the SS position, and that he will be a rock there for years to come, and with that in mind, he has filled some of my expectations but not all of them. That being said, he's only played five games. Thoughts?

Without a doubt he has lived up to it. So much so that you have apparently forgotten he is a rookie. Safety and running back are also very different as far as ability to come in and make an immediate impact in the NFL, Landry has been perfect as far as Im concerned as a rookie safety. I hope to see him and ST as a Tandem for many many years.

Now Carlos R clearly choked on that tackle to Packer's TE #85, but did anyone else think it was kind of strange the way Landry pushed Rogers out of the play on his way to (try) and chase him down? It looked a little unnecessary to me....

i think LL is still adjusting to nfl speed. he's taken several bad angles at players, but he probably would have made those plays in college. he will adapt and learn... cant wait to see how he is playing by the end of the season

i think LL is still adjusting to nfl speed. he's taken several bad angles at players, but he probably would have made those plays in college. he will adapt and learn... cant wait to see how he is playing by the end of the season
That was my sense too. However, there's a great article in the DC Examiner by Matt Bowen about how Landry is allowing Taylor to become a premier Free Safety in the NFL, and lifting the entire defense.

I was looking for the website of this article, but it looks like the Examiner publishes on the web a day later than their printed article. I'll look for it tomorrow.

This isn't really a pressing issue with me but I just wanted other thoughs on it. Has Landry impressed you so far? Do you think he has a bright future? Do you think maybe he was drafted too high?

I honestly haven't noticed him and I thought he's be more of an impact player. I had visions of him being the blitzing saftey and laying out QBs left and right and it just hasn't happened.

I also thought he came into the league with a rep of being a sure tackler, when I have noticed him its been when the announcer is pointing him out for missing a tackle.

Only 4 things come to mind when I think about what Landy has done this season.

1.) He broke up the pass to end the Eagles

2.) He got a dumb penalty today that kept a drive going.

3.) He made an interception today.

4.) He's not the sure tackler that he was made out to be.

1 the oline injuries are very serious its the core of the offense itself

2 anyone beside barry sanders cant run beind this hurt oline

3 ill worry about Suisham when he actually losses a game

4 Moss needs to look in the mirror...period

5 Landry is a rookie period, he is way better then AA last year who was a vet and compare Landry to many SS throughout the league and his numbers stack up well

1 the oline injuries are very serious its the core of the offense itself

2 anyone beside barry sanders cant run beind this hurt oline

3 ill worry about Suisham when he actually losses a game

4 Moss needs to look in the mirror...period

5 Landry is a rookie period, he is way better then AA last year who was a vet and compare Landry to many SS throughout the league and his numbers stack up well

Thanks for responding to my orignial 5 questions but I noticed most are already discussed in the forum already so I wanted to narrow it to just Landry.

This criticism of portis is really annoying. How can anyone expect him to run behind a makeshift offensive line. I mean maybe he doesn't look like himself becuse he hasn't really been given a chance except against the dolphins when (coincidently? i think not) he had an OL to run behind, he averaged 5 yards per carry and got a TD.

Portis is not gonna have a great season this year because our OL is never gonna be healthy. We just have to persevere with the run game cause we cant afford to be one-dimensional with our Wrs playing the way they are.

He saved us 2 games this season.... you havent noticed that?

He also gave up a lot of big plays in the middle today. They stayed away from Taylor and attacked Landry and they succeeded. I love the guy, but he had a bad game today. Yes I know he got a pick today, but lets not forget who threw that ball(Boldin):rolleyes: . That was one of the stupidest play calls I have ever seen.

He saved us 2 games this season.... you havent noticed that?

I would hardly say he saved the game today. For one he is the reason that one of their drives continued and lead to a TD, after a very stupid late hit.

And on the 2 point conversion he did pick the pass off but that pass had no chance whether he was there or not.

He did make a good play agains the Eagles at the game, which I pointed out.

My thing is, he hasn't been nearly the tackler that he was hyped up to be.

1. We certainly have suffered a great deal in our o-line, but any team worth a darn find ways to strategize around the weakest part of the team. The fact that the team had a week to form a competent strategy and failing on gameday suggests to me that a) the problem is simply unfixable because somehow we messed up and stocked up on back-ups who can barely pass as a player, or B) the strategy was flawed and the coaching staff will have to come up with something brand new for next week if the injuries continue, or c) the plan was simply to plug in players with no regard for strategy or competency and hope for the best.

Bottom line, it's not the injuries that will destroy our season its how we are able to work around them.

2. Problem stems from #1, the strategy for using a weak o-line really didn't work, PERIOD. They need to figure out how to generate a run-game with the injuries. It's difficult, but if anybody can figure it out I know Joe Gibbs can.

3. I'm not worried about Suisham, but Frost has caught my attention with the weak kickoffs.

4. I don't know what has been Moss' problem from the start of this season. The homers will point out the o-line for this past game, excusing Campbell and the recievers from criticism, but Moss has had problems before the o-line was a problem. I know he's a superb reciever, but there certainly is something wrong. I just don't know what it is.

5. I think Landry, being thrown into the mix right off the bat, has done a terrific job. I'm very impressed with the way he's able to adapt to the NFL so quickly. He isn't a Sean Taylor yet, but I think he will be.

dcoles11, I know you wanted to narrow it down to just landry, but I started writing my response before that happened and I don't want my words of wisdom to go to waste.

:)

1. We certainly have suffered a great deal in our o-line, but any team worth a darn find ways to strategize around the weakest part of the team. The fact that the team had a week to form a competent strategy and failing on gameday suggests to me that a) the problem is simply unfixable because somehow we messed up and stocked up on back-ups who can barely pass as a player, or B) the strategy was flawed and the coaching staff will have to come up with something brand new for next week if the injuries continue, or c) the plan was simply to plug in players with no regard for strategy or competency and hope for the best.

Bottom line, it's not the injuries that will destroy our season its how we are able to work around them.

2. Problem stems from #1, the strategy for using a weak o-line really didn't work, PERIOD. They need to figure out how to generate a run-game with the injuries. It's difficult, but if anybody can figure it out I know Joe Gibbs can.

3. I'm not worried about Suisham, but Frost has caught my attention with the weak kickoffs.

4. I don't know what has been Moss' problem from the start of this season. The homers will point out the o-line for this past game, excusing Campbell and the recievers from criticism, but Moss has had problems before the o-line was a problem. I know he's a superb reciever, but there certainly is something wrong. I just don't know what it is.

5. I think Landry, being thrown into the mix right off the bat, has done a terrific job. I'm very impressed with the way he's able to adapt to the NFL so quickly. He isn't a Sean Taylor yet, but I think he will be.

dcoles11, I know you wanted to narrow it down to just landry, but I started writing my response before that happened and I don't want my words of wisdom to go to waste.

:)

haha no problem brother, thanks for the comments!

Archived