Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help Me! I Still Can't Rid Myself Of The Demons!

armada58

For the first time in about 15 some odd years I truly can't find a logical reason NOT to believe that The Redskins will win. I love this team. I love the way it is playing. It's the physical brand of football on both offense and defense that made me the die hard fan that I am right now. The destructive beauty I witnessed as kid in '81 when I was 6 that sucked me in back then appears to have returned after a LONG hiatus.

I could not feel more blessed to be witnessing the development of a true franchise QB right before my eyes. It's so good to see a team move with a purpose and confidence that has been so rare in recent years. A mixture of youth and age that seems to have been pieced together perfectly is one of many reasons to believe that what appears before me on the field is not some fluke. Not a random "Hot Streak" by a team with a few quality players. But, a real life foundation for continued success. I love it! I'm loving every minute of it!

But I have a problem. I can't shake it. It can be summed up simply by quoting a famous Gibbsism. "In the NFL, there's always knuckle sandwich waiting around the corner." (it's not verbatim, but you get my point) I find myself unable to shake the collective shell shock of Norv Turner/Schotteheimer/Spurrier. The catastrophic dissapointment from the recent past still is sitting in the back of my brain. It's sitting there waiting for the other shoe to drop. Telling me not to get too hyped up about this team. Telling me to expect to be dissapoined. Like an evil devil sitting on my shoulder with Cowboys Jersey on. I HATE him, but I have not yet been able to shake him. In the past, that little devil had logic on his side. Now, he can't make a logical arument but he's still there.

I have every logical reason to believe in this team. 32 years of being a football junkie and I can't see a real reason not to believe in this team. Hell, I DO believe in this team, but that little devil on my shoulder is holding me back from a 100% emotional committment. How do I shake him? How do I bury him? Am I the only one with this problem?

just listen to the media. they say the cowboys are going to the super bowl. the media is always right.

oh never mind i thought you were looking for a reason to not believe in us. i can't help you with what you want, unless of course you kill all of the media members

I think consistency is the only thing you need to knock that demon out of your consciousness...

Right now I'm taking a calm approach to the team instead of letting myself get intensely excited...I love where we're at right now, and I'm hoping we chalk up another win tomorrow (if we do so in a convincing manner it will be icing on the cake). And that's about all I'm doing lol :laugh:...

Let me give you something which will keep you from getting too high when the Skins are winning or too low when they are losing. I think this quote can be attributed to Grantland Rice, but I'm not sure about that.

"A team is never as good as it looks when winning nor as bad as it looks when losing."

If you bet on football games, take the team and the points coming off a humiliating loss when it meets a team coming off a dominating win.

For the first time in about 15 some odd years I truly can't find a logical reason NOT to believe that The Redskins will win. I love this team. I love the way it is playing. It's the physical brand of football on both offense and defense that made me the die hard fan that I am right now. The destructive beauty I witnessed as kid in '81 when I was 6 that sucked me in back then appears to have returned after a LONG hiatus.

I could not feel more blessed to be witnessing the development of a true franchise QB right before my eyes. It's so good to see a team move with a purpose and confidence that has been so rare in recent years. A mixture of youth and age that seems to have been pieced together perfectly is one of many reasons to believe that what appears before me on the field is not some fluke. Not a random "Hot Streak" by a team with a few quality players. But, a real life foundation for continued success. I love it! I'm loving every minute of it!

But I have a problem. I can't shake it. It can be summed up simply by quoting a famous Gibbsism. "In the NFL, there's always knuckle sandwich waiting around the corner." (it's not verbatim, but you get my point) I find myself unable to shake the collective shell shock of Norv Turner/Schotteheimer/Spurrier. The catastrophic dissapointment from the recent past still is sitting in the back of my brain. It's sitting there waiting for the other shoe to drop. Telling me not to get too hyped up about this team. Telling me to expect to be dissapoined. Like an evil devil sitting on my shoulder with Cowboys Jersey on. I HATE him, but I have not yet been able to shake him. In the past, that little devil had logic on his side. Now, he can't make a logical arument but he's still there.

I have every logical reason to believe in this team. 32 years of being a football junkie and I can't see a real reason not to believe in this team. Hell, I DO believe in this team, but that little devil on my shoulder is holding me back from a 100% emotional committment. How do I shake him? How do I bury him? Am I the only one with this problem?

I am so in the same boat as you are, but I try to ignore this feeling and not talk about it.

It's like in high school or college. And you're with that special girl. And you realize, you know -- she could be The One.

It's fine and even wise to play it cool to a point, but eventually I think you need to throw caution to the wind, open your heart, and fully embrace her. That's really the only way to get the thrill you deserve.

It's like in high school or college. And you're with that special girl. And you realize, you know -- she could be The One.

It's fine and even wise to play it cool to a point, but eventually I think you need to throw caution to the wind, open your heart, and fully embrace her. That's really the only way to get the thrill you deserve.

Ok, i'll let you call Mike Sellers a girl first!

**HIDES**

Well always say to that devil on your shoulder. There is one huge difference between these 'Skins and the teams coached by Turner, Spurrier, and Schotty. That difference rests with Jason Campbell. During those years of previous mentioned coaches we didn't have a solid QB. Campbell is a very good QB that makes smart decisions.

Of course, there will be times when your disappointed but that's the beauty of it. We are Extreme Redskins Fans and that won't change. No team is perfect, not even the '72 Dolphins. Believe me when I tell you, we are building something very special. I have a feeling that we have more peaks than valleys in our future. :helmet:

Well always say to that devil on your shoulder. There is one huge difference between these 'Skins and the teams coached by Turner, Spurrier, and Schotty. That difference rests with Jason Campbell. During those years of previous mentioned coaches we didn't have a solid QB. Campbell is a very good QB that makes smart decisions.

Of course, there will be times when your disappointed but that's the beauty of it. We are Extreme Redskins Fans and that won't change. No team is perfect, not even the '72 Dolphins. Believe me when I tell you, we are building something very special. I have a feeling that we have more peaks than valleys in our future. :helmet:

Well Said!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Demons are not always a bad thing to have, without them you will show no humility as your overconfidence leads you to a path of certain downfall. The Skins players will have demons of their own; be it a dropped pass, a fumble or missed tackle but these demons are also what drives them to achieve more each and every week. We are allowed them too, little doubts and fears in the recesses of our minds... just don't let them consume you and stop you enjoying the possible rebirth of a great footballing tradition.

Remember a man without demons is a man without a soul.... or is that a Cowboys fan? ;)

thank you for articulating this. you are not alone. that is why this weekend could mean so much more than your typical week 6.

We win tomorrow, and my nervousness will cease.

Till then...:(

Trust me, it won't.

The nervousness never leaves. :(

How many of us were saying if we come out and beat Detroit that it'll go a long way for showing how good this team really is. Heck, even I said the same thing. Yet, here we are still nerve-wracked and ready to go nuts about a team that actually is a lot like the Lions in terms of offensive production and a defense ranked low against the pass saying the same things about how if this team wins, it'll go a long way blah blah blah. :laugh:

Fans felt the same way in 1982 (not that this year will be the same). In 1982 the Redskins were expected to be average at best, they won but were still expected to lose to Dallas in the NFCCG.

Just like this year, Dallas was supposed to be the team. That can be changed, of course.

I don't think fans really really believed in 1982, until Riggins broke off that 43yd TD. Thats why that run is always picked as the biggest play in team history with a play in the NFCCG that year being #2.

Archived