Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we had scored the final drive TD...

morpheusmeyers

Yep, Gibbs would have gone for the tie. No doubt.

Almost all coaches would kick it.

In most cases I would say kick it.

But in this case, with a D that had been on the field almost the entire second half, I think I would say let's not show em any respect and beat em right here.

I was thinking back to Gruden and TB on the original post.

Absolutely its woulda coulda shoulda, but I thought it was worth asking the question to see if others thought it was worth trying...hypothetically of course.

No one has answered the OTHER question though...has anyone actually seen that font size in the 700 page playbook?

No one has answered the OTHER question though...has anyone actually seen that font size in the 700 page playbook?

That's an interesting question. I don't know if anyone has seen the font size but there was a story on it in the Post not too long ago and they were interviewing Saunders and some of the players.

Basically, it sounded like each play has 8 different sets and adjustments for every kind of defense imaginable for that play and the players are supposed to learn each one.

It's Gibbs. We're not going for two.
Nor should we have. that would be completely stupid. You come back and score a touchdown inside the last minute of the game after the horrible half we just had, you better get the closest thing to a sure score and tie the game. Had the two point conversion failed, people would be going after Gibbs head more than they are now. You go into overtime with the momentum. Period.

Do you think we should have gone for the kill and opted for 2?

Stop right there. I usually read all of the posts before replying, but I don't care if I'm echoing someone here.

WE COULDN'T SCORE FROM INSIDE THE TWO WITH THREE CHANCES. WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE ENTERTAIN THE THOUGHT OF PUTTING THE GAME ON THE LINE FROM THE TWO WITH ONE CHANCE.

I don't mean to make this personal, but that just makes no sense to me. And as you can see, I'm still a little frustrated after this weekend.

Stop right there. I usually read all of the posts before replying, but I don't care if I'm echoing someone here.

WE COULDN'T SCORE FROM INSIDE THE TWO WITH THREE CHANCES. WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE ENTERTAIN THE THOUGHT OF PUTTING THE GAME ON THE LINE FROM THE TWO WITH ONE CHANCE.

I don't mean to make this personal, but that just makes no sense to me. And as you can see, I'm still a little frustrated after this weekend.

It's a hypothetical question. Obviously, we didn't score with three chances. The question is if we had scored, what would you have done.

I realize that no way JG goes for 2. 100% no way.

99% of other coaches would not go for 2. I realize that.

In fact, 99% of the time I would say not go for 2. But in this situation, with a D that had been on the field almost the entire 2nd half it might have been the time to do it if you were ever going to. It's just a thought.

I was more curious as to that font size though.

Do you think we should have gone for the kill and opted for 2?

I say should & not would bc I don't think there would have been any chance Gibbs would have gone for 2. But since the D had been on the field for almost the entire second half and was wiped out I don't think I would trust having to rely on them to make a stop in OT (if the Giants won the hypothetical coin flip).

Thoughts?

PS-Has anyone seen the font size in that 700 page playbook?

I think I'd consider it.

We would have gone for the tie. And in OT we would have won b/c we had all the momentum.

But we lost b/c Portis wasn't in. Simple as that.

Even if we had gone for the Tie I don't think we'd have won in OT unless we get the coin flip. The Giants were playing very well on offense at that point and our Defense was already tired.

are you really asking this question? There is NO coach in the NFL that would have gone for two. Much LESS Joe Gibbs. Only a few that would do it in college and thats b/c they know they can't win a shootout type OT like they have in place for college. It feels like we usually win in OT as of recently anyway.

EDIT: There is one situation where a NFL coach would go for it to win. If the season had been going so bad that they had nothing to lose. Aka Texans a couple years ago.

Your wrong. Herm Edwards did it once with the jets hence the infamous post game conference about "You PLay to win the game!"

yeah but that wasn't the question was it, and do you know that for sure?

I answered the question BEFORE that though. I said in OT we would have won b/c we would have had all the momentum.

And yes we did lose b/c Portis wasn't in. do you honestly think he wouldn't have gotten in???

Come on now, he scored on that EXACT same play earlier in the game. He would have gotten in on one of those times. For Christ's sake it was 1 YARD!!!

this post is so unnecessary- we DIDN'T score so it doesn't matter what Gibbs would have done. lets not waste time thinking about what could have been and focus on what we can do to not be put in that situation ever again. (And anyway we all know he would have gone for 2 because he is such an aggressive coach who goes for the win).

we didn't score -> we lost -> game over. Move on & kill the lions. (or at least beat them.)

this post is so unnecessary- we DIDN'T score so it doesn't matter what Gibbs would have done. lets not waste time thinking about what could have been and focus on what we can do to not be put in that situation ever again. (And anyway we all know he would have gone for 2 because he is such an aggressive coach who goes for the win).

we didn't score -> we lost -> game over. Move on & kill the lions. (or at least beat them.)

Best post yet. Who says women don't know football? Well done.:applause:

I agree.

I mean, if we had missed the FG in the first game, we might have been 1-2

If Curtis caught the ball at 1 yard line, we might have been 0-3....

They are close games and things could have gone different ways.

Archived