Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we had scored the final drive TD...

morpheusmeyers

are you really asking this question? There is NO coach in the NFL that would have gone for two. Much LESS Joe Gibbs. Only a few that would do it in college and thats b/c they know they can't win a shootout type OT like they have in place for college. It feels like we usually win in OT as of recently anyway.

EDIT: There is one situation where a NFL coach would go for it to win. If the season had been going so bad that they had nothing to lose. Aka Texans a couple years ago.

Your also forgetting Dick Vermiel a few years ago, having Larry Johnson jump over the pile for 2 at the end of the game, over the raiders i think?

We would have gone for the tie. And in OT we would have won b/c we had all the momentum.

But we lost b/c Portis wasn't in. Simple as that.

I can see us pressuring Eli into making mistakes. If we would have gotten the TD, I really think the Giants would have sat on the ball and ran the clock out. If we won the toss in OT, then we definetly would have won.

I strongly believe that if we had scored and went for two, and failed, there would be a billion threads about why we didn't go for the field goal. Some people might think this is crazy, but compare the threads after a win and a loss. If we did make it, then Gibbs made a great call. In my opinion going for two looks good if it's successful and looks retarded if it's not. Why is everyone referring back to Tampa Bay? Because it was successful.

Personally I would kick the field goal and trust my offense and defense, despite both playing poorly in the second half. The team looked decent when it wasn't being somewhat conservative. However, years of playing Madden have started making me want the Redskins to go for two point conversions and on fourth downs a lot more.

Either way, we didn't score, so it doesn't matter.

are you really asking this question? There is NO coach in the NFL that would have gone for two. Much LESS Joe Gibbs. Only a few that would do it in college and thats b/c they know they can't win a shootout type OT like they have in place for college. It feels like we usually win in OT as of recently anyway.

EDIT: There is one situation where a NFL coach would go for it to win. If the season had been going so bad that they had nothing to lose. Aka Texans a couple years ago.

Tampa Bay 2005

Can I just ask how it is that going for a two-point conversion is somehow that much riskier than kicking the extra point, taking a 50-50 coin toss, then either having your defence making a necessary stop or your offense (completely unable to move the ball all 2nd half until the last drive) making enough plays to get in position to kick a FG (which may or may not be good) or scoring a TD???

The league overall record for 2pt conversions is more than 50%... its a possession inside the opposition 5... I don't understand why it is that much riskier to go for 2 than to let in so many variables in OT...

Its all down to fan and media perception which is why only coaches who couldn't care less about media perceptions and "play to win" will try 2 point conversions... as has said before there are numerous examples of 2pt conversions turning out golden for coaches...

just think about the blind perception of OT somehow being a higher percentage option...

Remeber alstott! Gruden against us 2 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh: WOW HOW QUICKLY PEOPLE FORGET

We haven't forgotten! There was a penalty on the play before right??

Was that Casey Rabach? :doh:

My bad..he had two costly penalties last week...I can't shake the loss!

Can I just ask how it is that going for a two-point conversion is somehow that much riskier than kicking the extra point, taking a 50-50 coin toss, then either having your defence making a necessary stop or your offense (completely unable to move the ball all 2nd half until the last drive) making enough plays to get in position to kick a FG (which may or may not be good) or scoring a TD???

The league overall record for 2pt conversions is more than 50%... its a possession inside the opposition 5... I don't understand why it is that much riskier to go for 2 than to let in so many variables in OT...

Its all down to fan and media perception which is why only coaches who couldn't care less about media perceptions and "play to win" will try 2 point conversions... as has said before there are numerous examples of 2pt conversions turning out golden for coaches...

just think about the blind perception of OT somehow being a higher percentage option...

I think a lot of people are confusing my original question of what would you do to what would Gibbs do. The answer to what Gibbs would do is obvious. Kick the extra point and go to OT. No doubt. 100%.

The reason I asked the hypothetical question was to see what ESers thought. As I've already stated, 99% of the time I would say kick it. But with a D that had been on the field for almost the entire 2nd half this would have been an ideal situation to go for 2, steal a win, and show the Giants no respect in the process. Just a thought.

The above poster made a good point. Over 50% of 2 point conversions are successful (I'm trusting your stat).

Comments about moving on really aren't relative to the original question.

Not true...

John Gruden. Against us. Fake two point conversion.

DAMN YOU ALLSTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

I feel better now.

Do you think we should have gone for the kill and opted for 2?

I say should & not would bc I don't think there would have been any chance Gibbs would have gone for 2. But since the D had been on the field for almost the entire second half and was wiped out I don't think I would trust having to rely on them to make a stop in OT (if the Giants won the hypothetical coin flip).

Thoughts?

PS-Has anyone seen the font size in that 700 page playbook?

You cannot go for 2 in that situation.....Gruden lucked out against us in 2005 as Alstott's elbow was down before he was in the end zone!!!

Archived